Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

DJ Lee's Exotica Night at The Lucky Tiki, every Sunday starting April 3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

I love the fact that it looks like the homeboy is giving me the two fingers behind the head thingy! Thats me giving myself a rude salute!!!

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2005-05-30 02:41 ]

On 2005-05-30 02:27, TikiGardener wrote:
Are you guys at oppsite sides of the living room again?

living room?.... No.

Great meeting you TG ... a highlight of the night for sure.

Hey Lee, if they ever need a dj for another night, lemme know, I'd dig spinnin a slab o' wax or three there. And you can come by and bug me to play stuff...turnabout is fair play.

Indeed it was a rockin' and exotic night at the L.T.!! Great music by Lee, great people - just a great tiki bar!! Can't remember having a Sunday night filled with more great, varied conversations - better drinks (good job keeping my mug filled with Mai Tais, Susy!) or more fun! Thanks to the SoCal ohana for coming out so strong. Great meeting Kirby, Kick the Reverb (all the way from San Diego - and 'Mrs. Kick', too!) and Tiki Gardener! And the cast of regulars, of course!! Great pics, Hanford!

Hiltiki - aren't you sorry you didn't go! :( Missed ya!

K

Thanx alot gardener,hanford,J.P.,humumumu,pape,reverb everyone else and of course dj lee. I had a great time, music was awsome, and the company was second to none. Oh yeah thanx lucky tiki for my huge headache this morning it feels great...kirby on the flip side

We had a blast, I think we couldn't have picked a better night to go. Great company,tunes, and drinks. The place looks really great and is the perfect size for a bar. Thanks for posting the pics everyone. Special thanks to Jonpaul and Marie, without their hospitality we couldn't have made it.
I wish it wasn't so far away for us. DJLee sure knows his stuff, and I would have liked to able to enjoy the tune selection more often.
Anyway, see you all next time,

Ran

H

:(

D

My wife and I were there that night. In fact that's us in Pic # 0483!!! We had a wonderful night!! Since we didn't have work on monday, we finlly got to stay longer and listen to the tunes!

Thank's DJLee for playing the Robert Drasnin!!!!!

On 2005-05-31 14:22, Digitiki wrote:
My wife and I were there that night. In fact that's us in Pic # 0483!!! We had a wonderful night!! Since we didn't have work on monday, we finlly got to stay longer and listen to the tunes!

Thank's DJLee for playing the Robert Drasnin!!!!!

I just looked at that pic. Yep - looks very familiar!! That's just about how blurry my vision really was at that hour!!

(Seriously, Hanford (and Humu) - thanks for documenting a great night!)

[ Edited by: PapeToaTane on 2005-05-31 15:54 ]

CA

i should be diving back from SF after a weekend of Ape'in it up.... so Lucky Tiki on Tiki Night for the first time for me!!!!!!!!

hope to see all there again......... how do i get the rest of the way down to OC after a long day of driving and a few Mai tais??????

K
kirby posted on Tue, May 31, 2005 6:08 PM

"if you cant drive strait drive real fast" thats a quote from a lucky tikier but i wont say who...kirby

S
Sabina posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 3:38 AM

(Apologies, in advance, for the under 48 hour notice.)

Oaktiki and I are aiming for this Sunday night(June 5th!) at the Lucky Tiki as part of our California (Mostly) Coastal Crawl. This will probably be about the best chance to catch us in the L.A. area.

We're really looking forward to a night filled with Tiki goodness!

I'm certainly planning to be there....Sundays at the L.T. are a perfect way to end the week!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 11:02 AM

im gonna try and stop by myself so see yal there.

H

Ok I will see you guys, and Sabina there tonight yeah!!!

CA

pack'n the car and get'n ready for the wonderful fun filled trip down the 5 one more time

bring some cash for the bartenders and some extry for one of my new t-shirts, i'll also have some mugs with me and a few of my new tiki edition.

last night was really great.... cold Pacific wind out side, warm tiki love inside, ending another fun trip up north.
see ya all in few freeway hours....

GREAT time last night!! Wonderful to see Sabina, OakTiki, HanfordandHumu (is that one word?), Crazy Al, DJLee, Kirby and so many others. Great group photo taken - hope it gets posted!

But did anybody see who hit me in the head with an aluminum baseball bat?? At least that's how it felt when I got up this morning. I have a feeling it may have been an "Octopus"!! With EIGHT baseball bats!! Owwwww!

BS

What a great time, I really liked the music ,a big thanks to everyone .
Scott

[ Edited by: Bike Shack on 2005-06-06 15:52 ]

S
Sabina posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 2:09 AM

Ping!

Pix from last night can be found over on this thread- http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14770&forum=4&start=15&24

and over on my website- http://www.sevenpleasures.org, in the "L.A. area" Gallery, in the album "Lucky Tiki".

Again, a HUGE Mahalo to everyone who made last night happen- it was a VERY special night! The number of folks who traveled seriously to make this happen (you know who you are!) was just unbelievable!

And to the Lucky Tiki and our wonderful hosts for the evening- what can we say but WOW! Keep that Exotica playing and the drinks flowing! If only you were on our coast... .

[ Edited by: Sabina on 2005-06-07 02:21 ]

CA

great to see sabina!!! always in a Tiki bar?

to think she even was there to see the very begings of the new 'Reef' in palmsprings...
those guys get around!!!

i hope i can make in out north for another Lee Sunday sooon!!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 9:22 PM

great times everyone as always !!! Thanx crazy al for the awsome tiki, "im luvin it" . Till next time halla...kirby

S

On 2005-06-07 10:33, crazy al wrote:
great to see sabina!!! always in a Tiki bar?

to think she even was there to see the very begings of the new 'Reef' in palmsprings...
those guys get around!!!

Great to see you too! And yes, ALWAYS in a Tiki bar, or at least a Tiki event :) Be it Mondo Tiki, the Mai Kai over Hukilau, the dawn of the Reef (yup I was there BEFORE it was really up and running, watching AL paint!), Oasis, the Lucky Tiki, the list goes on and on! I'm beginning to think I'm not the only one who gets around!

Wherever there's Tiki, Crazy Al is not far behind- and that's a great thing! For that matter, I'm beginning to think Tiki bars and events feel just a little strange without you :) Tiki is somehow always just a little bit MORE Tiki for your presence.

Then again, carving to the tunes- what could possibly be more Tiki, and bring more Tikiness to ANY event?

Wonderful that you made it in for Sunday, all around, it was just a really great crowd!

D
DJLee posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 5:44 PM

It was a ragin' Sunday, thanks everyone! Al, I love the desktop Tiki. Will get your CDs out on Friday as Kristine and I are going to Disneyland with "Pops" tomorrow, day offa work! Sabina and Mike it was great meeting you. The photos are extremely cool! I'm going to email you off list to ask you if I can use 'em on MySpace.

I must confess! It was I and The Octopus with the baseball bat, in the Lucky Tiki!!!! (Kind of like Tiki 'Clue') After hearing your 'Bahooka 151' story, I shall never 'surprise' you again! So sorry for the headache.
How was Disneyland?
Hope to see you tonight!
-Suzy

Hope to see you all tonight out at The Lucky Tiki!!! I have a great new drink special I want to try out on you! . . . .
Don't be afraid! Come out for the great drinks, great music, and great company. What better way to finish up your weekend- or start out your week for that matter!
Mahalo!
-Suzy

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 12, 2005 4:37 PM

Im there!! yup...kirby

Wouldn't miss it for the world!! I took my post-church nap and everything!! I'm even bringing my very own "octopus repellent"!! Disneyland was grand! I'll tell ya more tonight! Oh....and I'm bringing presents for you and DJLee, too!

K

Sweet time once again. Im still drunk. How did you like the Sailer Jerrys "Father Tiki"?...
Cant wait for our hogley wogleys dinner mmmmmmmm...
hang loose yall...
kirby

Kirby, brah - I thought that was some damned tasty rum to be sure!! And I'm sorry I didn't have a whole one of Suzy's "Ginger Snaps" - or whatever that fancy flaming concoction of hers was!! I tasted a bit of one as I was leaving - and - I think we've got a new contender in the TC tiki cocktail contest!! GREAT drink, Suzy-Q!! I hope my friend Tiffany had a good time....it was her first time at the LT. DJLee was on such a roll last night!! That Gabor Szabo number was mystical! I am travelling for most of the rest of the weekends in June, but - I'm up for a Hoggly Woggly's Tyler Texas BBQ run the first part of July!! Ahhhooooooooooo!

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Jun 17, 2005 3:23 PM

This is Kristine's last Sunday here in Los Angeles until she returns for a couple of weeks in August...anyone want to come by The Lucky Tiki and Drink her a goodbye please do so. She's going to NEW ZEALAND for a history conference then to the UK for some research...maybe she'll pick up a souvenir for ya if you stuff some money in her Shag "Tiki Room" purse! See you Sunday

Wouldn't miss it for all the world. I'll be there at 9:00 !!!!!!! Mug in hand!!

:tiki: :drink: :tiki:

H

Who is going??????????????????????

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 4:57 PM

i was there...i lil out of it though...lee was great ... I left my tiki mug there did anyone find it?

I was out of town (in Cincinnati) - I'll be there this week, I'm 99.9% sure. Kirby - I still wanna make that Hoggly Woggly run for BBQ - but not this week - I have to go to a one-year-old's birthday party in the late afternoon. July for sure. If I see you on Sunday we'll talk about it!

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2005 11:30 PM

Hi!

Hope to see some faces crowd the bar on Sunday the Third!

DOG RESCUE AT THE LUCKY TIKI story time:>
Last Sunday Night at The Lucky Tiki, a beautiful pit bull wandered into the bar momentarily. The poor thing had obviously been out in the streets for an unspecified amount of time. I still carry around the dog lead from when I was a volunteer for SPCALA (plus a biscuit in the glove box.) I was able to get the lead around the sweet but scared girl in the parking lot. As luck would have it, one of the customers who had participated in some rescue at the local shelter in Mission Hills, was able to find someone to open the shelter and took the dog over. One of her friends who was also at the bar is going to adopt if the owner doesn’t claim the dog. Exotica music, tropical drinks and a dog rescue on a sleepy Sunday night; how can you beat that?

See you Sunday night!

Lee!! You are my hero!! Good job, laddie! Our furry friends salute you with a hearty "Aaaoooooooo!" and a "WOOF!"

Your first Mai Tai is on me tomorrow night!

Pops+ // [email protected]

H

Pape you are the funniest God loving man I have ever seen...I love your yahoo name...hahahahaha However I am jealous, howcome DJLee gets all the love....Maybe I will show up this time...See you there..

H

Another great Exotica night at the Lucky Tiki last night! Hanford & I got to enjoy the company of regulars DJLee, Atomikitty, Pape Toa Tane & Kirby, and this week we were also joined by Dr. Z, who was enjoying his first visit to the Lucky Tiki.

Lucky Tiki pics

Their new custom souvenir mug is now available, for $10:

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 14:53 ]

That WAS a great time! Eclectic crowd! Great pics, Humu! It's going to be a pretty foggy morning here on the 4th of July - and I don't mean the weather!

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 6:51 PM

On 2005-07-04 09:11, PapeToaTane wrote:
That WAS a great time! Eclectic crowd! Great pics, Humu! It's going to be a pretty foggy morning here on the 4th of July - and I don't mean the weather!

Hey gang...

Busy weekend, DJing Club Satisfaction tonight, going to the M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs (it's gonna be toasty hot) for the Dionysus group art show tomorrow and back at The Lucky Tiki on Sunday....been pulling out some more unusual records (45s!) for this week's festivites. Hope to see you all there!

Thanks!

Lee

I'm there! Trying to talk a few lads into coming with me. Kirby, no Hoggly Woggly yet - maybe the 17th - I'll PM ya. Hiltiki??? You in?

M

Almost made it last night, but was too pooped out from partying! darn! :(

Me, too, mrsmiley - to warp an old saying:

"I'm not as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I ever was!"

I had no gas left after Saturday....I hate to miss DJLee and the regulars (and you, too!) - but I could not answer the bell!

DZ

Smaller crowd, but an enjoyable time nonetheless! Nice cameo by Futura Girl and CB Howlie (that's 2 nights in a row!) Padre - where were you? I fully expected that after "sleeping it off in the church", you would have recovered from the night before and be good to go! Ah well, there's always next week, eh? Yes, I think I may just make this my regular Sunday night thang, at least for the summer (Suzy, I'd make the drive just to chat with you at the bar - you're the best! :) Oh, and DJLee, you're no slouch yourself...) Of course, one of these days I am going to have to try one of the Lucky Tiki's legendary drinks, but when they've got Stella Artois on tap (and served in the proper glass, no less), it will be tough to pull me away from the brew!

So - who's on for the 17th?

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 5:55 PM

[i]

So - who's on for the 17th?

Dr. Z, it's great to see you at the bar! As stated, teachers get my utmost respect. Of course I'll be there, I hope Pops can make it! Damn, the DJ shoppe is closed and I keep forgetting to get those 45 adaptors! Last week I forgot the box of CDs but will remember to bring 'em this week so we can go modern. BTW Thanks Kirby for bringing by cool tunes! See you Sunday!

H

We'll likely be there.

Papa Scott, checking in. Great little blurb/review of DJLee's Wednesday Bigfoot gigs in this week's LA Weekley - and - Lucky Tiki Sundays get a mention as well!!

K

sorry guys, I couldnt make it tonight,
I had a lot of stuff to do, but I was there last night, hopefully that makes up for it.. Im not sure if ill make it next week either but we will see.. have fun peeps ...kirby

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies