Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Misfortunes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

T

**My first broken mug...
not expensive but traumatic nonetheless....
I guess the upshot is I now have a new tiki mug puzzle, superglue not included.
I'll exercise a moment of silence for my departed.

it arrived in my post box like this... **

M

For those of you with naughty kitties who like to break mugs, I suggest purchasing a length of clear vinyl carpet runner and placing it on or around sensitive areas, upside-down with the spiky side pointing up. Cats really don't like to walk on those little spikes, and they won't cause any damage to their paws. I placed some at the entrance to my basement bar when I found the cat had developed a fondness for crapping underneath my pinball machine, and he hasn't deposited any dukey in there since I put down the runner.

The only thing you have to be careful of it forgetting that the runner's there, and accidentally walking on it in stocking, or bare feet; it's very surprising and uncomfortable to step on the stuff.

Fu Man Fail...ugh!

[ Edited by: Loki-Tiki 2011-01-18 09:59 ]

Z

On 2010-03-01 07:15, Rum Balls wrote:

At least I didn't pay much for it, and at least I got to have a drink out it. Dang.

I am making it a mission to find you a replacement, RB.
~Zero

This is the second "Three year old girl" related Ku tiki mug death. This one was mostly empty at it's demise. I try not to spend too much on tiki mugs as I actually use them... with alcohol. These are getting harder to find too. Tiki-Stan

8T

OUCH Does anyone have a spare pepper to replace this one we just killed?

Humpty Dumpty Sven Tiki:

Ouch. Yeah, that's how my head felt the morning after I went to Trader Vic's Happy Hour here in Hamburg.
Now you'll have to get the upcoming Book of Tiki mug. :)

T

Painful stuff. I have only two tiki mugs (I've had too many bad experiences with shipping, I really don't like Paypal, and Seattle's thrift stores have zero tiki, ever) but both of 'em would be hard to replace. Hope I never have any accidents with 'em, and condolences to all.

Not a tiki mug (or tiki anything) but I once bought a rare vintage ceiling fan off a guy, who berated me when I asked - nicely - if he'd disassemble it and pack well. He railed on me about having been in Iraq and Afganistan and how he knew how to pack from sending stuff home... Naturally it was an awful job. He took everything apart that shouldn't be taken apart, didn't disassemble the easy parts, and it arrived with pieces poking out of holes in the box and the whole thing bent out of shape. It WAS repairable, but... I feel your pain with regards to poor packing. And I still have photos of the box with parts visibly sticking out.

Aren't there any Tiki establishments in Seattle where you can pick up some tiki mugs for daily use?

Ouch!!
Ebay purchase that was wrapped in one small sheet of paper each...
Always ask for bubble wrapped around mugs!!! :wink:

LT

On 2011-04-25 23:44, Beachbumz wrote:
Ouch!!
Ebay purchase that was wrapped in one small sheet of paper each...
Always ask for bubble wrapped around mugs!!! :wink:

Gah! That's so frustrating! I once received a mug - miraculously intact - stuffed in a bubble-wrap lined envelope.

Ship unto others as you would have them ship unto you. Too bad not enough people know this Golden Rule.

8T

First I break one myself when dusting a shelf.

Then after I stopped crying I searched out something to replace it. I found something really cool and guess what, lousy packaging caused me to be super bummed again when the box arrived and I opened it to find this:

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

:(

I really hate this thread... :(

Maybe we should all get this....

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2011 12:31 AM

IWas this a mug? It was awesome whatever it was.

:( Saw those on Ebay.....pretty good price to boot....made by Treasure Craft, original design by Hawaiian Island Products... Freddie

P

Allright! My big ebay score made it!
I picked up the package up off the porch and heard that unmistakable, sickening sound of ceramic shards grinding together.
My first DOA.

My first volcano bowl

Maybe I can salvage it and make a tiki planter.

A one-of-a-kind, signed artist proof tiki planter.
With certificate of authenticity.

I don't understand what happened, from the exterior, there were no signs of damage to the package. And it seemed adequately packed when I opened it.
Man, why did it have to be this one? Why not some garden-variety coconut mug?!

Packing peanuts would have saved it..... maybe..:wink: I've had good luck when using them..

Little crazy glue and as good as new! :)

Sorry, that sad.........

I feel your pain, man. I feel your pain :'-(

A number of months back I ordered the Bowling Family set of mugs from a seller on Ebay. Merv and Mort made it OK, but unfortunately Maury got hit with a strike...

The seller was really great about it. He refunded the money for the mug and I was able to re-purchase another Maury from Tiki Farm. So if any of you ever need to buy a mug from ParisDougieFresh on Ebay you know he'll treat you right.

P
phinz posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2011 1:41 PM

Here's one of a few of our broken packages. All the wrapping you see there is all the wrapping that was in the box. Seriously.

I was looking for the right Frankoma T-10 for a long time, and this is the one I got.

And here are pieces of a couple of other disasters.

I'm saving pieces for mosaics. I've accumulated a few over the past few years. :(

BIG PANIC!!!!!1! BUY BATTERIES!!!

[ Edited by: phinz 2011-07-22 13:47 ]

Don't these people know how to wrap a tiki mug ...shiish !
Feel your pain Phinz!

Yes...it finally arrived!!! But ugh-oh:

Yes...the replacement finally arrived!!! OH COME ON!!!

What happens when something is packed fairly well but USPS just doesn't want you to have it:

The box didn't even look damaged...

Luckly it was insured, but that only replaces the money not the mug. :(

I want to give the MUNKTIKI people a big high five and a whole lotta kudos for all the peanuts and packing they use. All the mugs I've gotten from them have been pristine. I sure appreciate it. Also that Crazy Al, the Wildsman, the folks at Tiki Farm, and the VanTiki Island sure do a great job also. I actually think the majority of the folks here know the deal, and respect the tiki. Mahalo to all the picky packers, I lift an intact mug to your greatness. :)

Agreed! All of the manufactures/artists do an excellent job. The problem packers are the eBay people that don't know/care about what they're selling. Especially folks who do estate type sales. It's just something they made money off of, not a piece of art, and that is how they pack it.

G

Not a mug but it is a mighty tiki misfortune.

Before I found my first mug, I starting gettin' tiki'd by grabbing a small notepad, writing "secret tiki drinks" on it and filling it up with recipes.

Money being tight, I checked the Beachbum books out at the library and hand wrote several choice cocktails. I copied others from this site. I got others from friends, old books and bartenders.

This was my pride and joy with great recipes, tweaks, tasting notes, and little drawings to go along with most recipes.

Anyway - it ended up in the washer after my last business trip and now my beautiful little notepad is paper mache all over my work clothes.

Looks like amazon is going to sell another copy of Remixed. Guess it ain't all bad.

gabbahey

*edited for typo

[ Edited by: gabbahey 2011-11-03 18:29 ]

Another mug that USPS didn't want me to have:

Amazingly the other two mugs in the box survived, no thanks to the packing...

It would've been a gift to me, except for the mishap. The seller wrapped it very carefully in two sheets of newsprint and put it in a Tyvek envelope. He was surprised it didn't make it in one piece, actually words "huh, who'd a thought". Seriously?!?!

It WAS a maori style from the Hawaiian Inn Daytona Beach FL. At least it refunded the money :( I superglued it back together as well as I could (not very well).

You have to post a picture of the repaired version. I don't think I would have even attempted it on a piece in the many...pieces.

I have thought about using super glue to put mine back together, but what would I do with it?

Is there a market for glued together mugs? (I suppose in this case the front of the mug is mostly intact.)

Otherwise maybe I'll save the pieces to make a mosaic or something...

The front's not bad:

The back's not. It was hard to keep it round.

But I hadn't seen it before, there aren't too many maori ones, and it was from a location!
One good side at least.

Ha, not bad!!! Keep it in the shadows, you can't even tell :)

I am not even posting pics of this travesty. I am hoping that admiting this will help me work the demons out of my system. I was enjoying a Scorpion in one of my old Harrahs - Lake Tahoe volcano bowls and I simply dropped the damn thing on the floor. It wasn't packaging. It wasn't accidently clinking this against another mug...or having something fall on to this mug. I simply dropped it right out of my hands. I lost a lovely mug AND the cocktail within! CURSES!!!

[ Edited by: vince martini 2011-12-26 12:20 ]

M

Another insufficiently packed package... :cry:

Only one of them survived, other one that looks OK is cracked all the way through and will split in two very easily... :cry:

It was even double boxed...

This should be the offical meme of this thread.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2012-01-15 07:05 ]

7 mugs in one box and no bubble around any of the mugs, Three broke...:(

To make it worst, there were four Otagiri ones that I had never seen before either, one's better than none I guess..

It should be a crime against humanity, Beach....

T

Oooh, that's heartbreaking.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2012 5:33 PM

Lost history and lost tiki

G

Poor guy didn't even make it home. Seemed to be some sort of Westwood knock-off or hobbyist as it didn't have any marks and was glazed on the bottom. Que Sera.

gabbahey

I hate to say it, but I can now contribute to this thread. I was carrying some shelves into the house and didnt see my wife left her shoes in the middle of the dining room floor. Tripped over them and hip checked the wooden rack where my mugs have been living. Shattered an Orchids of Hawaii mug ,and completly broke the bottom out of my Jekyl & Hyde Club mug. I only own nine mugs total, so this is kinda painful.

HEART-BREAKING! My husband and I recently got a package containing our Kahiki salt & pepper shakers. ...or at least a package containing PIECES of them! I sat at my art table carefully gluing as many little pieces back together as I could. Thankfully, they look ok from the front...just don't turn them around. sigh

I
Iscah posted on Fri, May 25, 2012 9:40 AM

I lost a couple of Gecko mugs, including one of his Mt. Bumatay style, when we moved. I know I lost at least a couple other mugs, but I just let my partner throw them away before it broke my heart. =(

I haven't had to post to this thread since 2004...

...and I hope I don't have to post here again for a another 8 years.

I

On 2012-06-13 02:58, atomictonytiki wrote:

...and I hope I don't have to post here again for a another 8 years.

Ditto.

U

I think my husband posted this in another thread, but this seemed to be a more appropriate place. Sorry for the duplication, but we're really upset and I'm not sure our disappointment can be truly captured in a single post.

We live in North Central Florida, not by any means a mecca of tiki culture. We rarely make finds 'in the wild' because there's just not that much around. Therefore, we often have to rely on ebay to scratch our tiki itch. We're also on a budget, so we can't spring for many of the mugs on our wish list at the going rate.

So imagine our glee when we found a Hoffman Kahiki Moai mug in an auction missing most of the common search terms, starting at 5.99. And no one bid against us. We've had mugs shipped to us before, and aside from one tiny chip we've been pretty lucky. But this mug, which we will probably not find in our price range again, which is such a great piece of tiki history, which we were so excited to find, arrived like this:

A few big pieces and some dust. No chance of gluing back together. Our first big tiki misfortune.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies