Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Misfortunes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

T

Don Ho met an untimely demise at the hands of UPS... My Co-worker said the UPS guy walked in & dropped my big box right on the floor. I guess reading was not his best skill as the top of the box had this nice little label "Fragile"!

Tikisgrl

I'm so sad :( They arrived like this. 2 out of 4 broken. Three of the four were suppose to be Christmas gifts. Not quite what I was hoping for when I opened the box. Hopefully they will be replaced :(

[ Edited by: Atomicchick 2007-01-12 23:47 ]

I agree with TikiDavid...that was an obvious murder. Looks like a conspiracy in the postal/delivery service industry. When will this senseless killing stop!!!

H
Helz posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 7:01 PM

and then there's the unique tragedy of seeing your own work bite the dust....Opened the kiln lid and:

T

Ouch. I hate this thread.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

[ Edited by: nitropic 2007-01-12 17:57 ]

N

On 2007-01-12 17:44, kingstiedye wrote:
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOTH OF THEM SMASHED!?! And how long did you have to wait for them? Pain brother, pain.

PS - I like to glue things.

HOK

Bull, my condolences my friend.....I could hear you from here. Did they get both of them? :( Freddie

N

On 2007-01-11 18:35, Atomicchick wrote:
I'm so sad :( They arrived like this. Hopefully they will be replaced :(

Tony needs to re-issue these on the mainland. For what these guys paid for shipping this is an absolute nightmare. I really feel for Atomic and KTD,I was one click away from ordering this one myself and can only imagine my heart dropping upon seeing that mess. I've got my fingers crossed that you are both well reimbursed.

T

Well that does not bode well for me. I'm still waiting for 2 of those and so far everyone but Hala Bullhiki has received broken ones.

Uuuuugggghhhhh...I feel...uuuuggghhh...I feel...uuuugggghhh...I....

sic transit gloria mundi

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

(diddle-iddle-oo).

T

So are we to assume, based on kingstiedye's photo, that these mugs were shipped in a padded envelope? From Europe?

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say `nee' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred.

In other words: "I feel your pain."

K

my eyes, my eyes...
make it go away...can't look anymore...everything is getting dark...can't see...:cry:

On 2007-01-14 18:34, kikekeki wrote:
my eyes, my eyes...
make it go away...can't look anymore...everything is getting dark...can't see...:cry:

Must be the Tequila!!!

:)

K

On 2007-01-14 19:06, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2007-01-14 18:34, kikekeki wrote:
my eyes, my eyes...

Must be the Tequila!!!

:)

must be!
:lol:

OK, so they were kind of generic tiki mini-planters to begin with, but the loss is still tragic...

I

Don Ho passed away on April 14, 2007.

One week later, in honor of his memory, I used one of his signature glasses when drinking some mai-tais. Late in the evening, while attempting to refill the glass, it slipped out of my hands.

Somehow, it all seemed appropriate. The sound of the glass breaking - a reminder that Don Ho was no longer with us. As the man goes, so follows the glass.

(I do have another similar glass, which I will keep on display and NOT use.)

Vern

R
rupe33 posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 3:59 AM

And.... I'm the angriest man in the DC area this morning.

Last night, a recently relocated shelf full of MUNKTIKI mugs came out of the wall...
The collateral damage even put a couple of chips into our Ohana Hut (perhaps homeowner's insurance is warranted for that mug alone!)

it's madness, madness!!!!!!!

I can has anger?!!!

~Rupe

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 6:06 AM

UGH Rupe! I can hear you cursing from here!

R

BUGGERY, BALDERDASH AND BEWILDERMENT!
ANOTHER shelf came off the wall. Sadness reigns.

the roll call:
Munktiki Hukilau 2007 jug
Aloha Hut - DC (YARGH!!!!!!)
Luau Hut - Silver Spring MD (2 varieties)
OMC Kon-Tiki style (forget where from)
Kahlua Hut
red generic Big Lots mug

Oh well. At least none of the cats got hurt. In other news, I'll be adding something to the Witco thread tonight, so maybe it's all a wash. It may mean toggle bolts from here on out - no point in taking chances.

~Rupe

T

Rupe, two in a row? Ouch that hurts. Thats more mug than I have found in the wild in the last two years. No find this year at all. At least you got a pic of it.

T

Rupe, two in a row? Ouch that hurts. Thats more mug than I have found in the wild in the last two years. No find this year at all. At least you got a pic of it.

T

Oh, that's not right. My condolences to you for your lost mugs. May the tiki gods smile upon you and aid you in replacing them.
Sometimes I really hate this thread.

R

On 2007-08-07 03:59, rupe33 wrote:
And.... I'm the angriest man in the DC area this morning.

Last night, a recently relocated shelf full of MUNKTIKI mugs came out of the wall...
The collateral damage even put a couple of chips into our Ohana Hut (perhaps homeowner's insurance is warranted for that mug alone!)

it's madness, madness!!!!!!!

I can has anger?!!!

~Rupe

Did you have duplicates of the victims? If not PM your address and I will send you one of my extras. East Coast Tikiphiles need to stick together. I used to live up in Arlington and left more than a few brain cells at Honolulu, RIP. I don't check here everyday so might be a little while before something arrives.

I am sacrificing a MaiTai in memory of your mugs.

My condolences too for all the losses. Be sure to save the shards to make a collage or use in tiling a bar top or something...BooHoo. ;(

R

Lessons learned:

1. if your shelves are secure, don't move them elsewhere.
  2. plaster walls: not so good for shelf-attaching.
  3. If one shelf comes down... the others will likely follow.
  4. Tiki Centralites are awesome.
  5. East Coast Tikiphiles are chock full of kindness!
  6. If one shelf comes down... the others will likely follow.

Thanks!!!
~Rupe

T

UPS Shipping Misfortune. Looks like the Munktiki/Forbidden Island Bowl is now a LTD Edition of 99!

Mile was great, and stated they are on the case to produce another for me. I hope the UPS Claim will come through for them!

So far, this is only my Second damaged mug. I think the first one was a Tiki Farm mug back in 2006. But then again, my memory gets a good beer rinse from time to time.

The soccer ball....er box from UPS

MT

Here's one that happened at F.I. a couple of weeks back. CP's mug, The Golden Idol, got nailed by the cleaning staff.

Don't fuck with Peterson's mug, or he'll cut ya. He'll cut ya!!!

L
Liana posted on Sat, Apr 18, 2009 8:52 PM

I know it's nothing rare (well in Australia any tiki mugs are rare!).. but this was my first mug a friend sent to me as a gift from America.. It took 6 weeks to get here and arrived like this:

At least it's double sided so I can just turn it around when I display it :P

This is the saddest thread I have ever witnessed. I need a drink.

My first casualties. The frozen drink machine delivery guy ran into my shelf and I lost 6 mugs.

On 2009-09-20 16:15, gooneybird wrote:
My first casualties. The frozen drink machine delivery guy ran into my shelf and I lost 6 mugs.

I hope he lost a lung for his clumsyness....

I agree with EI Elvis....just reading some of this thread made me run down to my collection and check each one carefully...this is all so very, very sad :(

8T

Oh how harmless my little furry kitty looks here. Don't you agree? He surely could not be the one who leaped up on the rattan bar and knocked off 5 mugs now could he? You can see true innocence in this unposed portrait can't you? So is it possible that both the witnesses are lying to me and he had nothing to do with the tragic results below?

Luckily the damage was fatal to only 2 mugs. They were duplicates and were meant for the latest mug trade. I guess I better get to glueing! The others survived the fall to the floor. Including my Oceanic Arts 50th Anniv. mug. That mug has been knocked off 2 other shelves and I think it is really tough. Now it is behind glass in a showcase. I bet he can't get it now! Although I did not see him knock off the mugs, he is my prime suspect because just a few days ago he jumped up onto a window ledge, knocked out the window screen and both fell to the ground 10 feet below. The screen was broken and the cat used up one life. Next time he breaks a mug he might just use up another life......ok I'm kidding. I just wish when he jumps, he could stick the landings.

Reason number 4376 not to own a cat!!!
Just kidding!
Sorta!

L

On 2009-09-21 16:47, Big Kahuna wrote:
Just kidding!
Sorta!

Don't mind Rick 8 Ft...he is anti-cat!

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:35 AM

On 2009-09-21 16:47, Big Kahuna wrote:
Just kidding!
Sorta!

That's the main reason why the husband prohibits an open-case mug display. We both dread the day the cat outsmarts us and learns to open the glass doors. Reason #2 being living in The Land of Dust.

my roommate pointing out the small bit of shelf she has in stark comparison to the 3 large shelves that I have moved part of my collection into lol....she has laid threats! lol,now we have a cat ( don't think he would DARE pose a mug flight risk) but really I have mo more wall space in MOKU DOOM to display them , soon I will have no choice but to pile them around my bed!lol
This may not be a misfortune yet but a preemptive strike for TIKI MUG DOMINATION!

Tiki rules !!!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 9:49 AM

On 2009-09-21 16:43, 8FT Tiki wrote:

Oh how harmless my little furry kitty looks here. Don't you agree? He surely could not be the one who leaped up on the rattan bar and knocked off 5 mugs now could he? You can see true innocence in this unposed portrait can't you? So is it possible that both the witnesses are lying to me and he had nothing to do with the tragic results below?

LOL~

RB

Ran across an old Molakai Mule mug from the Waikiki Sheraton this weekend. Heard of it before, but had never seen one, and the price was right. Made the namesake drink out of "Taboo Table" for the first time Saturday...very tasty. Hand washing it Sunday morning...hands all slippery from dish soap...mug slips out of my hands into the empty rinse sink. BROKE INTO TWO BIG PIECES AND A BUNCH OF LITTLE ONES. Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! A total loss.

At least I didn't pay much for it, and at least I got to have a drink out it. Dang.

That sucks Rum Balls , you should take a picture of your miss hap for TC sake,
and so if I come across one I will grab it for you.

Three mugs posted - only one arrived whole..... Ouch!

(Not suprising since the two sheets of bubblewrap in the picture were the extent of the packaging within a cardboard box.)

I gots a molokai mule mug, rum balls... PM me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies