Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Misfortunes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Good idea tikitanked. I might have to mend my wasteful ways and start looking at broken mugs as raw materials for new projects and not just shattered vessels. It's kind of like re-incarnation. The book PAD by Matt Maranian has an interesting use for mugs (damaged or not) on pg. 13 called "cocktail mug bas-relief". You make a plaster cast of the front of your mug to use as a mold to create a solid 3-D image. you can then reshape them, paint them and use them in whatever way suits you. In his book he frames his in a diamond shaped bamboo frame with a grass mat or reed background.

Tiki Oasis IV mug aftermath pics coming soon....

I got 3, count 'em -- 3 beauties to add to the broken tiki mug collection...

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-10 09:19 ]

O.K. Pop.....it finally happened. just back from a Colorado wedding.....found some tiki stuff....and thanks to United Airlines and my poor packing......

Damn!

On 2004-05-10 09:19, PolynesianPop wrote:

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-10 09:19 ]

Well?

Yeah, lets see um Popster, and maybe some more from your AZ peyote festival.

D

On 2004-05-10 09:19, PolynesianPop wrote:

i think its time for a Tiki Telethon to buy PolyPop a lifetime supply of bubblewrap and foam peanuts.

Wow, I didn't think there was much interest since I didn't get any comments! So, OK -- I'll try and get off my lazy ass today and get these pics up.

Ok -- here we go!

Below is a broken Crazy Al mug which took a pretty bad tumble when I left him on the roof of my car after a day of surfing. It was about 2 months ago on a beautiful warm day. I'm sure you know, after a killer session, there's nothing better than an ice cold drink mixed from your cooler. Mmmmmm......

My Mojito was as the kiddies would say, "the bomb" that afternoon. After one swig, I put the drink on top of my car to free up my hands as I loaded the trunk. After I changed into some dry shorts, I got in and put the car in reverse. Let me tell you, that mojito was delicious -- until it spilled all over my windshield... :o The mug bounced off my wiper and onto the hard asphalt. ...Shit....

I hate it when that happens -- another good drink down the drain.....

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-30 21:18 ]

Here's a fun one!

Ever see that movie Cocktail with Tom Cruise? Well, check this out -- I was practicing and getting pretty good at that toss-the-bottle-from-behind-the-back-with-your-left-hand-and-catch-it-in-front-of-you-with-your-right-hand trick.

"This time," I told myself, "when you catch the bottle drop it face down, straight into the shot glass."

And, Shit -- another one.

Welcome to the family Mr. Tiki Shot glass...

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-30 21:00 ]

:music: My girl wants to party all the time, party all the time..party all the time.. :music:

Damnit -- not with another one of my mugs!

I wonder how she would feel if I accidentally broke one of her, ummmm, precious designer sunglasses because Pop Ylop was practicing his act in front of the mirror with them on.... heh, she wouldn't think it would be so funny then would she?????

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-30 21:21 ]

Drum Roll please............

My first broken Munktiki mug and its a beauty -- A Tiki Oasis IV mug!!!!

A friendly tip - playing "quarters" with a mug this tall is not a good idea. If you bounce the coin just right, you can get it to land on the hollow portion of the base and leave a mark if you know what I mean...

K
Kono posted on Sun, May 30, 2004 10:04 PM

Hmmmm...

I think we may have found a genuine case of the rare and poorly documented Mughausen Syndrome! Is there a head shrinker in da House?? :wink:

T

I firmly believe that all future limited edition mugs should automatically subtract 1 from their edition in the event that PolyPop gets one. :)
The PP Factor.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-31 19:02 ]

On 2004-05-31 18:58, Turbogod wrote:

The PP Factor.

The PP Factor -- I like that!

Maybe all future limited edition runs could consider that and make an "extra" one -- kinda like a bakers dozen (13)!

SO SAD to see all those poor broken tiki mugs!! oh man, I'd be freaking out if those were my mugs all busted up!! I keep mine up on a high shelf, and the ones I allow for use (!), my hubby knows he'd better be careful. My tiki's are my prized possessions..I mean, not as much as hubby or my sweet little kitties, but still! I'm going to try to keep them in one piece!

Bloody Football fans down at the post office have been using my packages as a ball.
Nothing that glue won't fix and its my first smashed tiki.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-06-14 09:16 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 14:11 ]

Here's how I brought my own heartache -- my first tiki mugs -- I put them in the DISHWASHER! And was amazed to find them crumbling before my eyes (after a few washings).

Must always wash them by hand --

Well thanks to UPS I have joined this post...
I can no longer say I have never had a broken mug sent to me. I opened my box and BLAMO! 3 broken mugs. They must have used the box as a soccer ball!

this image is large:

http://www.tikibug.com/L/broken.jpg

[ Edited by: SeekingTiki on 2004-06-21 16:10 ]

The Spicoli quotes were PRICELESS.

T

That image is so.............so sad.

On 2004-06-21 08:09, Satan's Sin wrote:
Here's how I brought my own heartache -- my first tiki mugs -- I put them in the DISHWASHER! And was amazed to find them crumbling before my eyes (after a few washings).

Must always wash them by hand --

Hu-What!!!??
Crumbling?? I don't understand... Were they made from pressed oatmeal? Earthenware chips all the time, but I've never heard of this phenomenon. Please tell me more....

I reckon all these broken bits should be collected up, mixed together and then re-assembled into some freaky frankenstein style mugs/works of art. Might end up with something cool coming out of all this heartbreak and suffering.

For those of you out there in Tikiland who did not get to see the Von Franco and Friends art show at the Bahooka, you can also do this with broken mugs.

Tiki Farm Tribute Bar
by, Bamboo Ben

Another beautiful piece Ben!
Thanks for posting it.

S

Bitchen, Ben!

Where's my hammer? :wink:

It was real fun Smashing the signed Shag mugs!!! The Shag mugs alone that I used would have gone for 4 times the amount of the bar on ebay. The bar only sold for 695.00. It was all about the tiki, man!!!

The front logo was made from about 20 different mugs. A piece or 5 out of each mug. The bar top was a melted lava feel with more mug parts in it, Tiki Farm drink coasters and there was a piece of mohogany on it for a mixing area with signed hang tags and cards from events under heavy poly. The bar itself without all of the extras would sell for 695.00 in my store but, this was an art show and it was "all about the tiki!!" and, still is!!

Now I got to find a post that is appropriate to post the C'al and the Von Franco tribute bars to. Any help would be cool. PM me?

p.s. nothing against my man Shag. It was just fun smashing these mugs up thinking of the horror in the collectors' eyes!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-11-13 19:16 ]

Ben, I can only envision you listening to the Damned's immortal classic "Smash It Up" with a look of pure glee while preparing the materials used to create this smashing bar.

MB

It's a sing-a-long.....

We’ve been crying now for much too long

And now we’re gonna dance to a different song

Gonna sream and shout til my dying breath

Gonna smash it up til theres nothing left

(chorus)

Oooh ooh smash it up, smash it up, smash it up

Oooh ooh smash it up, smash it up, smash it up

People call me villain oh it’s such a shame

Maybe it’s my clothes must be to blame

I don’t even care if I look a mess

Don’t wanna be a sucker like all the rest

(chorus)

Smash it up (x5)

Smash it up, you can keep your krishna burgers

Smash it up, and your glastonbury hippies

Smash it up, you can stick your frothy lager

Smash it up, and your blow wave hairstyles

(repeat verse 1)

(chorus)

And everybodys smashing things now

I said everybodys smashing things now yeah

I'll have what Mrs. B is having!

MB

Flashback Cocktail :lol:

I'll be "Damned"....

One for all you schadenfraude fans:

Here's a mug of mine that arrived through the post all busted up. Waaaaah!
Trader Woody

8T

This is another thread I hoped I would never add to. When I began carving I read how the experienced carvers had all managed to injure themselves and draw blood. And I finally cut myself on tiki carving #3.
Now I have my first broken mugs. I guess I have paid some of my dues now.

Check out these. They are the small Orchids of Hawaii Moai but I didn't have one. So I figured that when I got these 4 I would have some trading material. Thanks to a seller who isn't as smart as the bubble wrap they tried to use in my package, I received the following.

8FT - I don't know what it is with Moai mugs...I bought a lot of 4 Kahiki Moai off Ebay about a year ago and ended up with 2 that were not pulverized. Maybe they don't like to travel in large groups? :)

T

I was doing routine maintenance in Aku Hall yesterday (Sunday). Standing on a chair, re-arranging the record sleeves hung along the top edge of the wall. The chair I was standing on gave way, and down I went.

The chair went flying across the room and took out two of those 12" tall Hapa wood tiki statues from KC Company. Shattered 'em.

My United Airlines tiki-framed map of Hawaii was dragged down with me, and the frame shattered into a half dozen pieces.

I landed halfway on my vintage bamboo sofa. My arm went through the bottom of the middle section, completely shattering the bamboo slats under the seat of the middle section. The cushion wrapped around my arm as it went thrugh the seat, saving me from cuts.

My rib cage landed HARD on the armrest of the sofa.

I spent 24 hours in agony, convinced that I had broken a rib.

Just got back from the hospital.

X-rayed twice, and then ultrasound.

Hurts when I breathe, kills when I move at all. Driving the Mobile Exploration Lab to the hospital (stick shift) was agony.

Good news is no broken brones or popped organs.

Just some mashed-up muscles, stressed cartiledge, and nasty bruises.

Bad news is I'm gonna be in pain for the next week or so.

It doesn't hurt unless I move... so I am DAMNED glad I got all of those DVDs around Xmas time!

It's couch potato mode for me all week, like it or not.
:(

Anyone have an extra Unite Airlines Hawaii map (with the dense-foam, wood-like tiki n' whales frame) for sale?

Mine's wasted.

No pics of the devistation, too depressing...

Tiki is indeed a dangerous sport!

UB

Hey Bars!
Glad to hear your in one piece.
We don't want any Tiki Bone Misfortunes.
Did rum play a part? It always did for me. :)

T

That's the sad part - I was completely sober and still trashed the place in one fell swoop (literally).

Little known fact about me: every year from New Year's day until mid-February I am 100% booze free, and I also eat no signifigant amounts of sugar in that time.

I guess the gods were feeling petulant that I was spending so much time in the Aku Hall without offering ritual rum sacrifices...

K

Damn Tikibars, that's such a shame. I feel terrible for ya. I know you really enjoyed that United map. Are you sure it isn't salvageable?

I'm glad you're alright though.

I'm sure another map will come your way soon enough.

Ahu

On 2005-01-03 22:52, tikibars wrote:
Little known fact about me: every year from New Year's day until mid-February I am 100% booze free, and I also eat no signifigant amounts of sugar in that time.

Wow....now we admire you even more! :D

--cindy (drinking a non-diet Pepsi at 9AM)

T

"Our Bob, who art in heaven, hollow be thy brain..."

Yes yes, I know they are smiling. But inside they are shedding a thousand tears.

HT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

8T

oh Tikifish, I'm sorry. I was laughing at the pic and then I realized I should be crying. I'm all mixed up...kinda like your Bob.

So I tried supergluing the Hapa Tikis and the United frame back together with some success. They'll never be the same, though.

Ultimately, I guess I could have broken some rare mug or something completely irreplaceable, so it could have been worse.

Here's the thing: the doctors called me back TEN DAYS after I was released from the hospital to tell me that I DO, in fact, have not one, but TWO broken ribs.

What kind of baloney is this, where the doc releases me from the hospital, tells me I don't have anything broken, I just got banged up real good, and then decides, a week and a half later, oh, my, you have TWO BROKEN BONES?

It only hurts when I sneeze.

#1 new sports injury:
Full-contact X-treme Tiki Bar renovation.

B

Wow, what a story. Maybe you better check your mug shelf. There may be damage there You didn't detect on the first x-ray. Hope you are feeling better and the docs are feeding you enough pain meds.

On 2005-01-14 23:06, tikibars wrote:
It only hurts when I sneeze.

So stop sneezing! :)

That's rather disconcerting, to say the least! I've broken one rib, and the doctors looked at the x-ray for about an hour, then released me saying nothing was broken, then four days later, called me to tell me there was a break, after all. What the heck?!

M

I've been trying to explain what "tiki" is to my dad for about 5 years now. I suppose because he's lived in Indiana his entire life, which is virually devoid of anything even remotely tiki, he never quite understood it. By some miracle he had some kind of revelation recently and is now fairly excited about it. He even sent me a tiki gift package for Christmas this year. Unfortunately, the pack contained 3 mugs and all of them were shattered beyond repair thanks to poor packaging by the manufacturer and typical service from UPS. Here are 2 of the casualties below. :( Yes, they are cheap repros, but they still had some sentimental value relative to my father's tiki revelation. Plus, I'm a big fan of anything in the Marquesan style. I didn't have the heart to tell him what happened to the mugs as I want him to keep the tiki spirit.

Modmana, you could always point him towards Lotus Garden in Greenwood, In. I've even given detailed directions from I65 & US31 in the Locating Tiki post. Maybe a couple greasy egg rolls & a flaming volcano bowl will give him a better idea of Tiki, although it sounds like he's making a good start on his own.

SHIT!

Pop, if you want this, I'll send it to ya.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies