Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

$2,500.00 Junk Faxes?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Is anybody out there involved with any Junk Fax Small Claims litigation?

It's quite the cottage industry now...any experiances or stories?

Yes. I was in Philadelphia last week on business. Monday was to be "day off." Preparing for a morning of nothing but sleep, I loaded up with about 180 Cuba Libres late into the night.

And then ... at 7:30 am ... the fax machine in my hotel room goes off like a cherry bomb and out comes a fax for a great deal for refinancing my home.

I actually banged the machine up and down and yanked out the cord. Jerks. And even though the hooker next to me had taken out her hearing aid, it woke her up, too!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-04-16 08:49 ]

Hey SS, a civil code allows a person to actually file against junk faxers.

I think the limit is 11K but most people go to small claims (22.00 file, no atty) and ask for 2500.00 often filing as many as 12 at a time.

The Court System isn't ready to handle it, but something will need to be done very very soon.

There is a template for litigating against junk faxers at (junkfax.org) where this bloke as a hobby has set up a "how to" page with names and addresses of most major comercial junkfaxers.

The estimated judgments of this kind of litigation is 2.3 trillion a year if people actually file.

Thanks ... but from now on if I go into a hotel room with a fax machine, I'm going to have it taken out as soon as they deliver my bathrobe.

Gigantalope,

I thought about doing it one day after getting a fax at about 3:00 am. That really ticked me off. I spent a few days researching the issue and gave serious thought to filing some suits. I found junkfax.org to be a good resource. But, alas, laziness won out and I have not done it yet. I am actually an attorney in Florida (although you don't need to be one to file your own suit). right now I have a collection of about 100 faxes waiting for me to do something with. When I feel ambitious, I might just send out a boilerplate demand letter to all of the offenders offering to settle the case for a payment of $1000 and see if they throw any money my way.

Pages: 1 4 replies