Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

R.I.P Kahiki Moon a.k.a Kahiki Moon....the end

Pages: 1 44 replies

new pics have been added to Locating tiki post: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11290&forum=2&10

Aloha my friends!
Today I must publicly announce the unfortunate news that Kahiki Moon Restaurant & Lounge has closed its doors. It's clear that if Kahiki Moon had been realized in a bigger metropolis this post would not need to be made. Thank you all for you vocal support.

**Here is the announcement in the local paper:

The beach party is over at Kahiki Moon in downtown Burlington. The restaurant's creator and co-owner James Kathary confirmed that the tiki lounge closed its doors last week, less than six months after it opened in July. The Polynesian-style restaurant and bar struggled to communicate its unique concept and with its somewhat hidden location in the basement of One Lawson Lane. "I'm not a restaurant guy. What I am is a tiki guy," said Kathary. "I created an authentic tiki environment, but it was just too much for this town." Still, Kathary added, "I do want to say thanks -- or 'mahalo, Burlington.'"

Mahalo TikiCentral!

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2005-04-19 17:14 ]

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2005-06-11 09:36 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Apr 18, 2005 3:56 PM

Well, that's sad. Those pics that dogbytes posted had me drooling. I always hoped to someday... Not to be. Very sorry to hear that. RIP Kahiki Moon. :(

D

Primo I don't know what to say, I am shocked and surprised by this sad news. I know you put so much of your blood, sweat and tears into making your Kahiki Moon a reality. I knew chances were that I wouldn't be getting to visit the Kahiki Moon anytime soon, but it was nice just knowing it was there. How many people can say they made their dream come to life.

This is very sad.
I'm so sorry to hear of the Kahiki Moon's closing.

-Tikiwahine

D

james, i am stunned. the kahiki moon should have been able to compete as a top notch restaurant in Burlington. tikis or no, the food was fantastic. honestly, there is nothing else in Burlington that can compare. (and there are many places that exist that should be shut down by public health and the FDA)

alas, alas.. maybe its time to pack it all (including your chef) and drive to seattle, put down roots here.. and make your favorite customer happy once again.

best wishes in your next adventures.

sadly yours
elicia

S

Come on over and tell me everything I need to know to make it work here in Knoxville. Or everything I need to know to prevent me from failing here in Knoxville before I do..

I hate to hear it.

i'm gonna cry 96 tears

:(

T

Better to have dreamed, opened, and failed then to have never dreamed at all.

Hope you continue to dream Primo.

Ciao

Trustar

Those bastards never knew what they had!

Sorry I never got to see it...And everyone is right, you must be comended for trying.

N

James,

I feel terrible about it. I'm really sorry it didn't work out.

Nick

S

Primo,

So sad to hear the news. Kahiki Moon looked awesome from the photos I saw. I'm just sorry I never made it there in person.

Wishing you good mana wherever you go from here.

dude......:(

D

my husband is officially sad too. when i told him the bad news, he said "now where will we eat, when i go to my class reunion?"

burlington lost a gem of a restaurant.

glad we ate there as much as we did..

James: let us know where your chef ends up.. thats where we'll eat!

elicia
ps: another subliminal message to Primo Kimo ~ seattle, seattle, seattle

P

Auwe!

I had this fantasy of getting up to the Kahiki Moon and lots of laughter and singing a few tunes.
You did it right, braddah - no second guessing that part.

I'm beginning to think that all Tiki-Themed establishments should have monthly events, kind of like what Kiliki has done with Trader Vics.

Trader Vics in Atlanta was a place where you could ALWAYS count on getting a table. Almost a ghost town every single night and more so on weekends when the conventioneers left.

Last weekend Ona Koka and his wahine were up there and had to wait in the bar for a half hour to get a table (not at all a bad thing).

It's been my observation that Kiliki's Torch Nights and a stellar bartender in Mr Joel (he needs a Tiki Central name) combined to transform that restaurant into a happening place once again.

I'd be willing to bet my uke that the numbers would clearly show that to be the case.

Anyway, Kimo - mahalo for the good vibes and that dream I had. If you need a break - the Lagoon Lounge is open.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-08-11 12:26 ]

J

That is really sad news... I'm sorry things didn't work out - the place looked unreal!

That just sucks. I was hoping to take a road trip. I wish you the best in your next venture.

TT

Man-that is rough. This economy sucks so bad right now for that kind of venture. I have several friends who have tried to start different kinds of businesses and they have either struggled big time or didn't make it. I hope the brain-wizards (I use that term lightly)in charge of this country can finally make something work for the little guys.

K

Primo,

Sorry to hear the news. I too had plans of one day visiting. You really did a great job with the place. It looked fantastic! You made the ohana here at TC very proud to be involved in your plans, ideas, and dreams. Best of luck with future projects!

Scotty

What a bummer! Life sure does know how to throw a punch. At least you tried it rather than just thought about it. I am sure you gained invaluable experience and made a bunch of new friends.
A tip of the hat to the Kahiki Moon.
Chongolio

Good luck Primo and keep your chin up!

Thank you all for your kind and supportive words. I won't deny that it's a big hit to me, but I assure you that tiki WAS the draw and kept us in business for a short 8 months. The main reason we went down was that my primary financier pulled out (at the worst possible time) in order to invest in his fledgling wireless technology company. This is business and these are the brakes, I guess.

To quote my favorite movie robot, "I'll be back."

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2005-04-20 06:43 ]

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2005-06-11 09:37 ]

James, man, what a blow. But at least it WAS going OK until the money guy pulled out...

You need a break now, but keep me updated on any future plans, I will do whatever is in my power to support any new endavours of yours, you have proven yourself.

K

That sucks primo, I was hoping things had changed since I last spoke with you. Thanks for including me in the creation of The Kahiki Moon. It was a blast wish I could have seen it in person. Count me in on your next endeavor!! Good luck

RIP - My condolences Primo...

Look on the bright side-- now that you've had "practice" on that bar, the next one will probably 10x mo betta!

If your opening a tiki bar in Vermont is any indication of your ambition, I'm sure this won't be the last we hear about a tiki establishment from you.

Looking forward to your next project, whatever that may be!

James, great chattin with you last night, catching up on everything since "tiki" closed.It was an AWESOME experience working at Kahiki Moon. It was the absolute best restaurant in town and we had the best team of employees of any restaurant/lounge downtown ....or for that matter in any town. And if I may plug my own people my security staff TOTALLY ROCKED:-) If you open another "tiki bar" here or anywhere else please keep me & my "guys" in mind. Even if I cant work there, I'm sure if you have something to do with it it will be an awesome place to hang.

That is such a shame. :(

The pictures are marvelous! :)

That's the sort of place that would do SO WELL here! Move to Florida, pretty please? We would love to have you, and your restuarant as well!

It was a beautiful place, and regardless of this sad outcome, you should still be very proud. :)

Best wishes to you,
~L

Looked like a cool place in BTOWN. I had planned on visiting a couple times but never made from the slopes to the town. Hopefully you can stash the goods in a barn up and let it simmer til the next try - it looks like you had a bunch of good stuff and sounds like the food and drinking was good. Sad to hear - keep on rockin!

I was looking forward to roadtripping there someday. Sorry to hear of the misfortune. I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor!

A
Artiki posted on Sun, May 1, 2005 3:49 PM

Sorry to hear the news.
Hope you didn't get burned too badly with debts. From the flames rises a phoenix....

okay folks,

I have only been a member here for a short time, but my interest in all things tiki/jungle/action adventure has been a life long obsession. When I (just RECENTLY) heard about the existance of Kahiki Moon my eyes opened WIDE! I needed to know more, only to learn after a brief search, that this wonderful establishment was no more. My search unveiled a food menu, which made my mouth water, and a list of drinks that litterally had me salivating to the point that I had to stop my search, and, MIX SEVERAL of Dons' coconut rums. After downing several drinks, I resumed my search..... I was fortunate; I started unearthing photos..... I had hit the MOTHERLOAD! This place seemed so CLASSY, GOD KNOWS the decor was "DEAD-ON". All the while I kept wondering to myself, "What POSSIBLY could have gone wrong, that this clearly GREAT place wouldn't make it and die within 6 months!?!?"

THEN...... I came across a series of photos, and it became clear to me what happened.... first, let me say, I live near a TRADER VICS, I make trips to the MAI KAI regularly, on occasion I enjoy the libations at the HALA KAHIKI in Chicago, and have even enjoyed the LOVE POTION and the COCO LOCO at LEE'S HAWAIIAN ISLANDER in Lyndhurst, and I must say, NOT ONE OF THOSE PLACES would ever consider having a DJ. The pictures I saw, proudly showed "DJ SINISTA" and some other guy calling himself "HASUES" (sp). THAT'S WHAT WENT WRONG! In my (not so humble) opinion, tiki places should have a sense of class. James, I know you put hard work into your place, but, the HALA KAHIKI CLEARLY has a dress code mentioned on the sign on the door BEFORE you go in. Based on how they were dressed, dj sinista, and haseus (sp) wouldn't have even been allowed in to DRINK, much less entertain the crowd. Vic and/or Don would be rolling over in their graves at the thought of someone named "dj sinista" entertaining their patrons.

Consider this, when you enjoy your favorite polynesian dishes/drinks, would you rather hear Les Baxter playing in the background, or, some rastafarian wannabe named DJ SINISTA?

from the zombie village,
TABOO-ISLANDER

Wow, I hope the UnTiki thread did not incite some sort of spirit of dogmatic witch hunt here on TC!

Frankly, what I am sure went wrong (and what is generally wrong with the real world!), is that there are not enough folks out there that care as much as we do, and that can economically support the ideal Tiki Lounge we all imagine...which James' joint came pretty close to, I believe, DJ or not.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 6:24 AM

Ummm.... no. The DJ thing was not the problem, it was a solution. You have to do things to get people in on a Friday and Saturday night. James did it straight tiki most of the time, but, you have to make money and you have to draw people in. He didn't start with the hip-hop, it became a required evil.

The real reason the place closed wasn't not a matter of business and customers, but of partners that screwed the works. The business was fine and the place was doing well, or at least well enough.

Besides, have you never seen "8 Mile"? Eminem is down with the tiki!

T
THEN...... I came across a series of photos, and it became clear to me what happened.... first, let me say, I live near a TRADER VICS, I make trips to the MAI KAI regularly, on occasion I enjoy the libations at the HALA KAHIKI in Chicago, and have even enjoyed the LOVE POTION and the COCO LOCO at LEE'S HAWAIIAN ISLANDER in Lyndhurst, and I must say, NOT ONE OF THOSE PLACES would ever consider having a DJ. The pictures I saw, proudly showed "DJ SINISTA" and some other guy calling himself "HASUES" (sp). THAT'S WHAT WENT WRONG! In my (not so humble) opinion, tiki places should have a sense of class. James, I know you put hard work into your place, but, the HALA KAHIKI CLEARLY has a dress  code mentioned on the sign on the door BEFORE you go in. Based on how they were dressed, dj sinista, and haseus (sp) wouldn't have even been allowed in to DRINK, much less entertain the crowd. Vic and/or Don would be rolling over in their graves at the thought of someone named "dj sinista" entertaining their patrons.  

As an owner of a Tiki themed establishment I realize the challenges involved of keeping true to the Tiki Gods however the Bottom Line Gods must also be appeased.
If I played Les Baxter and only had Exotica acts I too would be out of business by now. It'll be 4yrs. for me come October. I've kept the memory of Tiki alive and managed to make a few bucks during that time. Which would be the better? To remain true for 6 months or to have compromised and leave a lasting impression, create jobs and money for many employees and artists? Don't knock what he had to do to make a living. In the Tiki-ignorant Northeast it's that much harder. It's easy to critcize from the comfort of your keyboard without having money invested. My condolences to the Kahiki Moon and all those who'll never get to experience it.
steve
otto's shrunken head NYC

S

The main thing to realize is that, although it may be non-tiki from 10-1 on Friday and Saturday, the rest of the time, in general, you can go get your tiki on. It's not as though the Kahiki Moon was hip-hop all the time. But in those crucial weekend evenings, you have to do what will get and keep people in the place to survive so that you and I can go in there on Monday through Thursday and enjoy a tiki bar. Hell, probably even at 5PM on Friday for a happy hour Mai Tai it's a great tiki experience. That's the biz.

If you wanna get right down to it, I prefer a really quiet tiki bar. Having it packed, even with tiki-philes and Martin Denny playing is not the right mood. So... If Kahiki Moon were in your town, you'd be supporting them, right?

P

The thing that bugged me the most about the Kahiki Moon going away is that it made such a cool song and I was looking forward to playing it there to screaming throngs... or steaming thongs.... whatever.

And now I can't.
And I can't get da primo from da Kimo.

Best song ever.

"It's not as though the Kahiki Moon was hip-hop all the time. But in those crucial weekend evenings, you have to do what will get and keep people in the place to survive"

sorry swanky, but it didn't....

"If you wanna get right down to it, I prefer a really quiet tiki bar. Having it packed, even with tiki-philes and Martin Denny playing is not the right mood."

then you might as well stick to sitting in your basement and drinking by yourself....

my point is, tiki themed places don't NEED "acts" like "DJ SINISTA" to thrive, as the places I mentioned in my previous post..... trader vics, hala kahiki, mai kai, lee's hawaiian islander, prove on a daily basis. NONE of them has a dj with hip hop, yet they're all doing WELL. Not only did the hala kahiki not have live music (much less hip hop) they don't even serve food, yet every night.... the place is PACKED. HELL, ...IF dj sinista walked into the hala kahiki and (provided he could READ the dress code sign) wanted to have a drink, he'd have to pull his pants back up over his exposed underwear, take his ball-cap off, and go home to put on a better shirt, just to simply DRINK..... and they still wouldn't let him "scratch n' spin"

'from the zombie village,
TABOO-ISLANDER

[ Edited by: TABOO-ISLANDER 2006-08-21 22:09 ]

"Don't knock what he had to do to make a living."

sadly, with the hip hop crowd in his establishment,..... he didn't.

Maybe the northeast isn't a great place to open a tiki bar, and perhaps there were other circumstances involved. Here, the hip hop crowd would rather buy or sell drugs in your bathroom and swill a 40 than spend $15 on a bowl drink. Then again, maybe it's different in your 'hood.

'from a zombie village,
TABOO-ISLANDER

On 2006-08-10 06:07, Swanky wrote:
But in those crucial weekend evenings, you have to do what will get and keep people in the place to survive

On 2006-08-21 21:45, TABOO-ISLANDER wrote:

....but it did give us some $5000.00 - $7000.00 nights (which helped pay for ASCAP, the jazz ensembles and live hula shows that played during dinner.

On 2006-08-10 06:07, Swanky wrote:
If you wanna get right down to it, I prefer a really quiet tiki bar. Having it packed, even with tiki-philes and Martin Denny playing is not the right mood.

then you might as well stick to sitting in your basement and drinking by yourself....

....sitting next to you type-spewing ignorance from the zombie village of TABOO-ISLANDER?

my point is, tiki themed places don't NEED "acts" like "DJ SINISTA" to thrive, as the places I mentioned in my previous post..... trader vics, hala kahiki, mai kai, lee's hawaiian islander, prove on a daily basis. NONE of them has a dj with hip hop, yet they're all doing WELL. Not only did the hala kahiki not have live music (much less hip hop) they don't even serve food, yet every night.... the place is PACKED. HELL, ...IF dj sinista walked into the hala kahiki and (provided he could READ the dress code sign) wanted to have a drink, he'd have to pull his pants back up over his exposed underwear, take his ball-cap off, and go home to put on a better shirt, just to simply DRINK..... and they still wouldn't let him "scratch n' spin"

my point is: It is impossible to compare 40 year old established businesses to my start up. I did what I needed to do and it still wasn't enough.

I will leave you with some final and prophetic words from a major source of my inspiration...

"thank you for your support" - Bartle & Jaymes (1985)

Taboo-Islander, since you are such an authority on spewing ignorance and stereotypes about people's businesses which you know nothing about....I suggest you check out this forum where you would better fit in

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/personals.cgi?category=rnr&SAB=

Primo, I wish I could have seen the Kahiki Moon while it was open! I commend you for your accomplishments and living your dream.

S

"It's not as though the Kahiki Moon was hip-hop all the time. But in those crucial weekend evenings, you have to do what will get and keep people in the place to survive"

And, as I stated before, it had little to do with all the above and a lot to do with shadey partners.

"If you wanna get right down to it, I prefer a really quiet tiki bar. Having it packed, even with tiki-philes and Martin Denny playing is not the right mood."

Hmmmm, or go to Hala Kahiki, Mai Kai oe Trader Vic's on a night besides Friday or Saturday. Never had a problem with that plan...

'from the zombie village,
TABOO-ISLANDER

There are things that make various businesses thrive. Hala Kahiki has a great neighborhood to draw from. It's not packed with tikiphiles. Mai Kai is a giant operation with a full time PR person and has been there for 50 years and has a huge tourist trade. Trader Vic's is generally connected to a major hotel. And you may hear jazz or other music in any tiki bar. Only a few keep to the classics. A miniscule few.

So, now list all the downtown, urban Polynesian restaurants, not within or connected to a major hotel, that keep the entertainment purely traditional.

PRIMO,
if you read this, please don't get me wrong, what you did was truly commendable, and I DO wish you were still open, as I would most certainly have made a trip to your establishment. The pics I saw looked great. I have simply been trying to figure out what may have went wrong, based on my experiences through my travels to polynesian places. You would certainly know more about your business than I would. If you're ever in Atlanta, drop me a line, we'll meet at Trader Vics and the first rum giggle is on me (if you want the recipe, I have it). :o)

waikiki tiki....... I checked out the link you posted... gotta admit, I DID find some humor, but, don't think I'd actually "fit in". However, I am curious about one thing though..... how is it YOU know about the site? >:o)

I think Snow is a SPAM bot. Moderators???

J

Definitely Pappy - just check out the web address on the user's profile.

Pages: 1 44 replies