Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Old Trader Vic's liquor bottles found

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

When in Beverly Hills last weekend I found an old liquor store that has tons of old liquor bottles collecting dust. They had 4 bottles of Trader Vic's Flaming Rum with the devil on the label (look like from the 60s) and several Kona coffee flavored liquor tiki bottles (from the 70s or 80s).

The sales clerk was asking $15 for the flaming rum but I was able to talk her down to $10. She wanted $16.95 for the Kona bottles. I tried to get her to come down lower on the price just to get rid of them but she said she was letting them go at cost.

I only bought one bottle so there are plenty left. She said they are closing in a week and a half (that's a week from now) so hightail it over there and get one before she closes!

The store's called Liquor Castle and is located at 212 S Beverly Dr. in Beverly Hills.

I have more to report on my trip to L.A. - The Galley, Kona Lanes, etc. but I have to get some work done right now.

I live about 4 blocks from this place. As soon as I read about a liquor store in BH with dusty bottles, I knew it hadda be Liquor Castle. I didn't know they are closing! That place is a classic. The people that run it are straight out of a sitcom, but they don't know it. They are sweet, though. I'll stop by on my way home.

S

You mean full bottles of TV rum? I want one!

T

They are only about 3/4 full probably due to evaporation as the old paper seals are still unbroken. Some of their old bottles had broken seals and they were still on the shelf. Scary!

You should've seen the homeless looking guy that they used to have as a stockboy. It would be 90 degrees out and that guy would be wearing all these layers, as if he was wearing all he owned (and never washed)...like a long sleeve shirt over his overalls and a way oversized jacket that looked to be winter lined with sheepskin-looking wool. I don't think I ever heard him utter a word, either. He just sort of lumbered around slowly with bottles of Sprite in hand.

Then there is (was?) Simon who is the owner. Maybe something happened to him and that is why they are closing? He reminds me of the Jewish character that Eddie Murphy played in the barbershop scene in "Coming To America". He would call talk radio stations and I'd hear him from time to time. I don't know if it is true or not, but someone who worked at a neighboring business said they own that block! I believe it was his wife that helped you when you went in there. I went in and got a rum bottle. Very cute. I might want to get ahold of one of those Ku-shaped Tiki bottles with the Kona Coffee liqueur in it. Those were fine!

Is it safe to drink something that old?

S

On 2002-10-24 20:11, Biotron2000 wrote:
Is it safe to drink something that old?

I know with wine it's ok.

M

"Is it safe to drink something that old"--from my understanding most liquor or liqeur will last within your lifetime. Cream style liquor (like Harveys Bristol cream) do not last all that long. Wine based alcohol also can die quicker unless it was stored properly.
Weird uncle tiki can expand on this because he is WAY more knowledgable on alcohol products. Any comments, Luka?

T

I think liquor will last a long while but the lower alchohol content of some liqueurs may allow them to lose flavor over time.

I usually don't break the seal on my old bottles unless it's something that's good enough (like with a really fine rum I might).

H

I've resisted putting quick-pour spouts on my alcohol because I figured it would go bad much more quickly -- can anyone tell me if I'm just being silly?

Anyone have a bottle of TV flamming rum or brandy they would like to sell or trade? Empty or full doesn't matter. Shoot me a PM

Thanks

Pages: 1 10 replies