Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tikis Playing Poker prints!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

I second that request. What's the ID on each of the cool tiki hustlers?

#25 is in my hot little hands! I can't wait to frame and mount it in the newly anointed 'Huki Lounge' It's absolutely perfect.
Thanks again Slacks!!

Aloha and Mahalo for asking the question SDT and aikiman44. These tikis are examples of styles of which I’m very fond. From Left to Right:

The yellowish dude is kind of a tip of the hat to the modernized, American tiki. I also refer to him as the “Tahitian Tiki” because I remember reading somewhere that Tahitian natives carved their tikis simply to appease the tourist trade. Now whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. I am just a dumb artist. But I choose to believe everything I read.

The tiki to his left (yr right) is the Hawaiian tiki. Let’s say he’s Ku. Or Lono. Or Kanaloa. Do you have a fave? I made him blue because I used something called artistic license. (Which reminds me, I need to get it renewed by the end of the month)

The small dude in the foreground is a Marquesan tiki. This style of tiki is generally believed to be the best at playing poker.

The brown dude in the back and centre with the drooling tongue and the ten-yard stare is a Maori tiki. This style looks hard to carve.

Sitting next to ol’ shell eyes is a big Moai. Now normally you’d assume this style of tiki would be the best at poker because they have the “stone face” down cold. But you’d be wrong. They are third best.

The other small dude in the foreground is a Rarotongan tiki. He’s not such a good poker player, but the others let him play because he always brings good munchies. He IS a fisherman’s god after-all.

And finally, I’ve included a PNG carving. In fact, I pretty much based him on a TC member’s Oratory Table (Swankys?). I know some folks don’t consider PNG carvings to be “tiki”, but if you were to say that to this guy’s face it’d be the last thing you say. Besides, weren’t all the tikis in the Enchanted Tiki Room based on Papua New Guinea?

Anyway, that’s the gang. Hope that answers a few questions.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2006-06-13 19:13 ]

That is a truly awesome painting. Swig of rum!

Thanks for the info. My card playing buddies are gonna be impressed, or something. But at least I'll know!

my print arrived a couple of days ago and i really dig it! mahalo slacks. :tiki:

8T

Today is the day we have been waiting for! The print arrived safely. THANKS Aubrey.
Now to get it framed!
:tiki: :drink: :D

Thanks everyone who has already ordered a print. I am trying to take extra-special care to pack these things well, and it's good to hear that they are getting to you folks safely.

I've decided to try to make it to the Tiki Ti on Wednesday night July 5th. The day after yr Independence Day. If you think you'd like to meet me there to get a print (remember...this way there's no shipping charge) just PM me! I'm trying to get an idea of how many to bring to California.

I think I'll try to get there 9:00 PM-ish...but I am travelling with an 8 month old (No, I'm not gonna try to bring him to the bar) so it's hard to say exactly when I'll get anywhere.

If you'd like to just meet me there and NOT buy a print...hey that works great too! I'd be happy to meet you folks regardless!

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2006-06-15 19:46 ]

H
Helz posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 4:51 PM

Slacks,

Just got back from the mailbox...What a great day! The print is amazing, brother! Thanks for gping through all the effort to make prints of this great painting...that way we all can have one!

• Helz

WOW! It felt like Christmas today!
I received my print today and it's absolutely fantastic! I'm so excited to get it framed!
Cheers to you, Aubrey!

Hey thanks for the kind words Kalikiana and Helztiki. I'm so glad you folks like the print and that it got to you safely.

-Slacks

RB

Received my print yesterday...WOW! Colors are much more vivid than the online snapshot. Now to find a good frame for it. Thanks to my kids for the Father's Day present (OK, I highly suggested it...but at least they still listen to me!).

I'd love one of the Tikis Playing Poker prints. How would I go about ordering one?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 20, 2006 5:52 PM

GROG got print from framer today. Looks great. Now to hang it in the Tiki Room.
Mahalo Slacks!

Hi Burgess Penguin,

You can send payment to me by paypal or by check. Just send me a PM (Personal message) and we can get things sorted out for you. I posted prices at the bottom of the very first post on this thread.

bump

Yes, just found this site and this print. Love them both. i want one for my poker room.

I

Anyone have there print framed?

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 7:33 PM

Yup. And GROG said so about 4 posts up.

Hey All, someone should post a pic of this print framed in their tiki room. I'd be very curious to see how it looks when framed in a tiki environment and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Tikiriffic

I certainly would like to see that!

Thanks.

I was playing around on a frame site and created this picture of the Tiki/Poker print with a bamboo frame. It might give an idea of what the print would look like framed. I'm still waiting for mine to get here, but when it arrives I will put a picture up.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 6:14 PM

GROG's print is framed and hanging, but GROG not have digital camera (yes, GROG still in Stoneage).

P

grog should just draw what it look like.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 9:40 AM

Looks better in color, but you asked for a drawing.

P

bravo

L
Loki posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 8:35 AM

Slacks....just wanted to show you what we did with your print... the center point of our bar space.

we just had a huge luau and you got many comps on the work. Thanks again.

Mahalo Loki. That certainly was a thrill to see your photo of the print hanging in yr tiki bar. Thanks for the kind words too! I would love to see other photos like this! So those of you who have one hanging...let's see it!

Bump

Any left? Tarzan still want.
Frog skins tight.

S

Got mine!!! LOVES IT!!!
Howzabout a Last Supper...er...um....Luau?
Cheers to da Slacks!

Thanks Squid! I love yr work, so it is high praise indeed coming from an artist like yrself.
Funny you should mention "The Last Supper"...this ain't tiki, but it is a painting I did 10 years ago:

I had (about 300) prints made of the Last Breakfast as well. There's only about a dozen left...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2006-10-14 14:59 ]

S
squid posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 5:22 PM

YEAH! Sugar-coated, vitamin-fortified sacrilege!

[sales-pitch]The holidays are coming! Tikis Playing Poker makes a great gift too![/sales-pitch]

Got mine framed during Michael's half price sale - was still freakin' expensive to frame. Howz about limited edition postcards from now on? Looks great tho'

The matte looks black but its really a deep rich green with a velvety texture, inspired by the velvet painting in the painting and the baize poker table. Of course the velvety texture of the matte is kinda moot since it's under glass and can't really be appreciated so I coulda just got a plain matte and saved some money, but it was a conceptual thing, you know? The frame is gold faux bamboo. I don't think I'm gonna keep in on the mantle - I'll probably hang it in the dining room on its way to its ultimate destination in my tiki rumpus room bar in some far off wealthier future.

Looks great SDT! Thanks for the pic!

If anyone is still interested, I still have copies of this print left. Please PM me if you have questions.

bump

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 6:49 AM

Found your thread, are they still available?

On 2008-04-04 06:49, Kahu wrote:
Found your thread, are they still available?

Absolutely!

You can check out the price and shipping details on my very first post to this thread.

Mahalo for your interest Kahu!

-Slacks F.

Oops! Double post

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2008-04-04 19:26 ]

I want one too! This will look amazing in my Lanai. It can go next to my Mermaid Martini print and my Border Collie Tiki Bar print. :D

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 1:12 PM

Mahalo for the update. Look forward to ordering one from you soon.

It's been over a year now...thought I'd give this another bump.
Any of you new folks wanna buy the print?

Bumpity Bump bump.

Still have a bunch of these puppies left. They'll fill a big gap on your wall. PM me for more details or check the first post.

I'll ship for free (regular parcel post to the USA and Canada) if you buy 3 prints.

Hey everyone (anyone?),

Interested in buying a Tiki's Playing Poker print? Send me a Personal Message!

I'm also open to trade offers.

Mahalo!

Slacks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies