Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2nd Semi-Annual Carving Seminar, May 28th-Oceanside

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

A

At my place, Saturday May 28th, Danny Gallardo (Tiki Diablo) will be offering his thoughts on carving with Poly Pop in the afternoon followed by cocktails and a potluck bar-B-que. I'm thinking 3:00 to 6:00 for the carving. 6:00 till ??? for a potluck and Bar-b-que. I'm easy to find.

Drive to Oceanside on the 5.

Turn East on mission.

Turn right on Mesa.

I live on the left hand side Can't miss it.

2814 Mesa
Oceanside Ca
[email protected]
760 754 8195

Shout out, who's coming. Come on Carvers!!!
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-01-20 20:09 ]

RR

BYOL - Bring Your Own Log.

I am, by all my will and power, going to be there.

Can anyone pick up the Bong-ster on the way to Al's?

(I'll help with gas and gasoline.)

M

Definitely count me in! I can't actully contribute any carving knowledge but I plan on soaking it up like a sponge. I've always thought there was a carver in me waiting to be unleashed, we'll see. Al, let me know if you need any specific food/beverage/alcohol & I'll bring it.

Wow, semi-annual! Great idea! :drink:

Rich

I'll be bringing two unfinished projects with me -- both were logs started by Tiki Diablo but have been progressed further by many carvers. I'm going to keep that trend going with these logs!

MM, I have a DEREK print that I want to commission a frame for. I'll bring that too so you can get ideas for it and take measurements.

Since this event will be potluck -- I'll bring something for the BBQ!

B

Darn I wish you were Just down the street from me, I'd be there in a flash. Take plenty pictures so we absentees can see what we missed!

Okay , now I am jealous of you California people.

Please take lots of pictures or if someone took video and burned it to dvd that would be super cool. Hell I would buy one.

Have fun and may everyone return home with as many digits as they arrived with.

I am going to try my best to be there!!! I can't wait!!! Hopefully I'll have found myself the perfect log. If anything I would love to watch and learn. I can't wait!!!
Later,
Spermy
EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaOOOOoooooooooWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

MG

OK... I gotta get over there this time!

Bummer... I'd be there in a flash if it wasn't the other side of the country. Oh, well. Guess its back to the basement for this lonely carver...

Take lots of pictures for us sorry ass Midwesterners...

CRAP! We're flying out to Pheonix for the weekend that morning. :( You KNOW I'd be there.

Have fun guys! (I'm so bummed....)

A-A

Choices, choices... Learning about carving & enjoying BBQ at Al'n'Shelly's or Link Wray at the Casbah...

There's no choice for me...count me in, and I suspect the Mrs. will be there too.
Mahalo,
Ran

C

Would love to make it! BeelzaElvis and I have to get a babysitter!! We will do our best! and we will bring some POTLUCK! What you want?

C

BTW where does one find a log? If you know what I mean? :wink:

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 16, 2005 3:09 AM

Would love to be there. But I don't carve. And I live on the other side of the world...

Good luck and make sure you post plenty of picks - the last one looked tops!

Sounds Fun. Count me in. I have some Cedar logs i could bring for anyone who wants to give it a try?

On 2005-05-16 08:00, tikimecula wrote:
Sounds Fun. Count me in. I have some Cedar logs i could bring for anyone who wants to give it a try?

Tikimecula, where did you get the cedar? Can you bring one of those for me? I'd be interested in giving one of those a try. I'll also bring some of that Aerated Concrete Block that Aaron's Akua mentioned here. Maybe we can do a trade of equal sizes?

PolynesianPop, They are untreated Telephone poles one of my buddies got for me. I carved one with OK results. I think i have 3 left all about 4-5 feet tall, I'll bring em all.

Hey Tikimecula,

Do you know where your buddy picked up those cedar poles? Ever since Rodeotiki posted his Trip to The Pole Farm story, I've been trying to figure out where in SoCal these poles can be had.

Aaron

The Velours will be there!

On 2005-05-16 13:07, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Hey Tikimecula,

Do you know where your buddy picked up those cedar poles? Ever since Rodeotiki posted his Trip to The Pole Farm story, I've been trying to figure out where in SoCal these poles can be had.

Aaron

He works for SDG&E. I had heard there was a pole farm in Corona somwhere. The guy who built my Palapa, told me that is where he gets his and said they had all sizes. I will see if i can get the name of the Biz and let you know. He also said they are expensive.

That would be great, thanks TM!

I'd love to check this out! A great carving primer to go with my new acquisition of logs and a visit to the legendary Lagoon Room! I'll bring some candles for the bar! (and a half carved log of course! I just know I'll get inspired!)

O

Sounds like a great time!! We'll see you there.
Aloha,
'OnaTiki & Moki

Sooooooo jealous! For some of us poor slobs that can't be there, pics and/or video would be very much appreciated!

Sooooooo jealous! For some of us poor slobs that can't be there, pics and/or video would be very much appreciated!

OK, my wife's agreed to come! She's going to bake a carrot cake for the Pot Lock, & I'll make something, too, I just haven't decided what.

C'mmon Freddie...I dare you to come :wink: You're a rarer sighting than Hanford...
Looking forward to seeing you again,
Ran

Hey, I came out in the pouring rain to watch your band! You were just to busy trying to figure out how to tear down & get your equipment out the door without filling it with water to see me. :D

That's right...man that time the place was so packed I missed half of the people. Well, I'm sure we'll have time to talk as we watch the carvers show us how it's done...
Ran

Hmmm, just saw this.. I'll probably make it!

N

The Mrs. and I will be there. Can we bring anything?

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-01-20 20:10 ]

MM, there may be a surprise guest attending as well. You'll just have to wait and see on Saturday...

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-01-20 20:11 ]

On 2005-05-24 10:49, PolynesianPop wrote:
MM, there may be a surprise guest attending as well. You'll just have to wait and see on Saturday...

Hey Pop, is it me?

No, It's this guy.
Don't let him in Al! Lock your doors!!

On 2005-05-24 11:25, Monkeyman wrote:
Well its not exactly a surprise now that you told me there would be a surprise.

No.... as long as you don't know who it is -- then its still a surprise when that person arrives right?

The only way it wouldn't be a surprise is if you knew who I was talking about.... :wink:

.... and its not Bong -- although him showing up to an event OUTSIDE of HB is rather surprising....

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-01-20 20:11 ]

Well it looks like it would take me 24 hours and 40 minutes to drive. 1597.52 miles from door to door according to mapquest.
I will settle for some great pictures.

Nope, not me either.

Rub it in, why don't ya!!!

The suspense is killing me. Please add me and the Wreckstress to the guest list. Should I bring my chainsaw?

H

Mine will be real last min, still not sure if I can make it.. I will bring a friend....Hope to see you all..

A

Is anybody picking up Bong and bringing him down? I need to know, because otherwise, even though I don't want to, I'll have to go get him myself. I have a special surprise for him.
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

S

Mike and I have decided we're going to have to make this one- if you still have room for two more? Our Cali-Coastal Crawl couldn't possibly be complete without it! What an amazing opportunity to watch the carving GODZ in action!

I won't have a log or tools with us,(despite being a sculpture major back in my college days, D'oh!) but we will have serious video gear and can help out in that department- just understand we won't be able to actually WORK with the video for a month or two, 'til we get back to the east coast.

Being on the road, we're not really set up for cooking- is there some booze we could bring to help?

Pages: 1 2 90 replies