Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2nd Semi-Annual Carving Seminar, May 28th-Oceanside

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

I can pick up the ole Bongsta, but I'll most likely leave before him.

Sounds like a blast. I'll be in town and I'd love to come!

Is Hanford the surprise guest?

OK, I'm bringing BBQ Beans & a Carrot Cake. What's everyone else planning on bringing?

On 2005-05-26 19:51, freddiefreelance wrote:
What's everyone else planning on bringing?

I'm bringing something tasty and delicious, and guaranteed to give you gas....

On 2005-05-26 20:28, PolynesianPop wrote:

On 2005-05-26 19:51, freddiefreelance wrote:
What's everyone else planning on bringing?

I'm bringing something tasty and delicious, and guaranteed to give you gas....

oh, youre bringing Bong? :)

[ Edited by: tiki rider on 2005-05-26 20:51 ]

C

I'm bringing a ham/cream cheese roll appetizer and a nutty crunchy salad! Delicious!

Bumpin' this back to the top!

I'll be brining two unfinished projects - one, is a 4.5 foot mexican fan palm and the other is a 4 foot queen palm. The mexican fan is about 1/3 done and the queen is about 1/2 done. Everyone is welcome to take a whack at them. I'll also be bringing a block of AAC Concrete if anyone wants to try that too.

If you have carving tools - chisels, mallets, etc -- BRING THEM!

See y'all 2MORO! WATAH!!

This is how I feel about not being closer to you guys...

Have lots of fun and take some pics please.

Bring your thirst. I will be creating a new concoction for all you party goers that needs a taste test.

I give you......MOnkeyPod

H

yummmmmmm!

Tikibelle and I will be in attendance. Thanks Al & Shelly for opening your home again.

Sabu

Knorr Spinach Dip, methinks I will bring. That and possibly that little foot-tall Tiki Bob I started aeons ago. Made outta friggin black walnut. He's a hardhead.

S

We're back at the hotel after our south seas adventure at the wonderous Lagoon Room! (Oh! Wow! Love at first sight!) I'm uploading pictures from this afternoon as we speak.

I know folks wanna see, so I'm going just as fast as my net connection with allow :) Tiki Diablo, Poly Pop, and our surprise guest (I don't feel it's quite for me to reveal who, Al? Shelly?) tore into some logs and knocked out some wonderful lines! We watched (and documented) as an utterly blank log became a forbidden idol!

Many other folks also tried their hands at the logs. Under a canopy, we watched others, including the 'Future Carvers of America' i.e. the kids work on a strip of wood imitating classic molding design out of photographs from the book of Tiki, along with other designs.

The pix we're going to get up tonight are just the few we took with still camera. I failed to get many crowd shots with the still camera, but you'll see plenty of carving soon.

We also had two digital video cameras running on and off, and we have a video tour of the Lagoon Room for Tiki centralites on tape that we'll edit and get up once we're back home in Maryland. (Which may be a month or two at this rate!)

On a more personal note, today was one of the high points of our Tiki Travels- and that includes Mondo Tiki, Hukilaus, Exotica, and Oasis and many many other get togethers! Seeing the artists carving away and TCers who had never picked up a chisel before in their lives was just one of the most 'everyday' and extraordinary events we've had the pleasure of enjoying! These are masters who carve all the time- but seeing many carvers all together going at these logs was really inspirational!

(Inspirational enough that Mike finally got inspired and found his TC Tiki name! "oaktiki" - so for that alone, Al and Shelly have done for us what no other Tiki anything ever has! Mahalo from both of us! We ALMOST found it at Hukilau last year, but it didn't stick.)

We met so many TCers and spouses, families, etc- it was great. So many facinating people! And an absolute wealth of information!

Personally, I think it felt a lot like being back in art school; a chisel sharpening demo, discussing how the hell you throw a volcano bowl (pottery- the physics of how such gets accomplished is amazing- small wonder your usual volcano bowl is cast), talking advertising art with Polypop! TC is an artist's colony on steriods! Tiki is indeed the god of inspiration for the artists. Pick a medium, any medium, TCers are all over it!

And Gecko's BLACK VELVET PAINTINGS!!! Oh, sweet Tiki Godz! Gecko's black Velvets! Gecko, you simply stun me speechless. I know I've it before, but words don't work. It's something that must be experienced, not described! And you were absolutely there today in spirit- you were missed!

So many San Diego area Tikiphiles! the mind boggles!

All this- and my new favourite word- MONKEYPOD!!! Wow, what a drink! Mmmmmmmmmmm! Monkeyman's a mixologist! Utterly unique! You must explain to the rest of TC! Every bar needs a signature drink, and the taste of this wonder just screamed exotic!

Alright, I'm raving! I'll ping this thread one the pix are up! Mahalo, everyone!

[ Edited by: Sabina on 2005-05-29 01:41 ]

S

I'm on a slow connection tonight. Here are some bare bones minimum pix, that'll have to hold you folks for a while 'til I can get the rest up.

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/carvers

On 2005-05-29 03:19, Sabina wrote:
I'm on a slow connection tonight. Here are some bare bones minimum pix, that'll have to hold you folks for a while 'til I can get the rest up.

No worries!! We're living your trip right along with you!! Thanks for the awesome pics! Too far to drive for me on a Saturday, but I feel like I've been already! Great posts, Sabina!

On behalf of us that couldnt go , thanks for the pics. Although it hurts more now.
Very nice ,cant wait to see more.

D

BOSKO?!?! Man!!! And I didn't know children were invited. It feels like I'm always asking can I bring the spawn of DawnTiki. So instead of asking I just opted to just sit this one out. :( Bummer for me and my spawn!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-29 17:17 ]

S

Last of the still pictures just up.

They're not all in order, and I didn't take anywhere near enough, and much of what happened is way under represented in these- but that's what I can give you until I'm home with editing equipment.

Enjoy!

What a great time. Thanks to the hosts and organizers. Nice turnout. It would seem that we have a few more closet carvers now that they have had a chance to give it a try. I want to see some log work from Kick the Reverb and Modmana. You guys were doing great.

Pop its amazing to see how everyones abilities have changed since the first gathering of carvers two years ago.

Looking forward to our next gathering.

H

Thank you Alnshelly for making us feel so comfortable. Monkeyman can we get the formula!!!!Monkey pod rocks!! nice talking to everyone. Another great party as usual.

Man, that was a fun time! Extra Special Thanks goes out to Al and Shelly for hosting the event. Simply EPIC!

Monkeyman sharing the secrets of frame carving for spectators:

Teaching the young'uns some carving skills:

Tiki Bong on the left Tiki Diablo on the right:

Kick the Reverb on the left and Tiki Bosko on the right:

Tiki Bosko carves while Tiki Diablo looks on:

Bosko draws a crowd:

Tiki Magazine taking pics:

Tiki Bosko on the left Tiki Diablo on the right:

Tiki Diablo:

Diablo gives some pointers:

Bosko giving some pointers:

Tikimecula carves while Bosko looks on:

That's Al smiling and Kick the Reverb carving:

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2005-05-29 22:17 ]

Oh yeah, there was a barbeque too!

The BBQ and carving lasted late into the night. Al turned on the flood lights in the backyard and Monkeyman, Modmana, Kick the Reverb and others continued carving until the late evening.

The pupus were tasty and the drinks were top notch as usual. The Lagoon Room rules!

N

Guys,

I'm so sorry I missed it. My wife had friends in from out of town, yada, yada,yada. She said we'd stop by after, after turned out to be 9:30pm with a sleeping baby. Carving tips from Danny and Bosko, hanging with Al & Shelley in the Lagoon Room and all the cool people in the pictures posted. I'm bummed.

M

This was one of the coolest events that I've been to since becoming involved with TC! A big mahalo to Al & Shelly for once again coming through as the ultimate hosts. I also have to say that it was incredibly generous of the carvers to share their wisdom and secrets (as well as their logs and tools). Thanks expecially to Tiki Diablo, Bosko, Monkeyman, and Polynesian Pop for going above and beyond to make this a great learning experience for all.

I was genuinely inspired by this hands-on experience. I sat back and watched the carvers during the afternoon. Then, after dark when I thought no one was looking, I started hacking away on one of the tikis (thanks Adrian!). Well, surprisingly it seemed to come fairly naturally to me after many of the mysteries and techniques had been revealed.

So, this morning I actually went out and tried to buy some carving tools! Unfortunately, the deal that a couple of people mentioned to me seems to have disappeared. Apparently there was a great price on a large quality set of chisels at Costco. Well, they don't have them anymore at the store near me. Does anyone know of any current good deals on decent quality tools? I have a limited budget at the moment but would like to get started while I have the time and inspiration. Actually, I'm sure what I really need to do is start sifting through the "Creating Tiki" threads for this info.

Oh, and I also found out that my wife's cousin, who came with us to the carving seminar, is quite an accomplished carver in his own right. Look out if he ever gets serious about tiki carving, he has an incredible wealth of knowledge, talent, and skill.

Looking forward to learning more at the next one...

ModMana :drink:

Thank You Al N Shelly for hosting a very informative and fun event. Thank you Poly Pop for sharing some carving tips. Thanks Monkeyman for more great advice and the excellent Monkey Pod!! Thanks Tiki Diablo and Bosko for making Tiki Carving look so easy!! I really had a good time at the 2nd annual carving party! I can't wait to get my hands on a nice log and get started!! I really enjoy being in the company of the TC Ohana nothing but good vibes all around. Oh Yeah - thanks Sabu for the excellend Carne Asada!! I can't wait for the next get together!!
Later,
Spermy

On 2005-05-30 00:44, ModMana wrote:
Does anyone know of any current good deals on decent quality tools? I have a limited budget at the moment but would like to get started while I have the time and inspiration.

Rich, check out Eko Tools:
http://www.ekotools.com/c/Chisel_Set/index2.htm

Man, I had to wait until today to post anything because of a massive-stroke like headache all day Sunday.

What a fantistic time! I'd like to thank Al & Shelly for, as usual, putting on one of the greatest casual gatherings known to TC.

(It was also nice to find out Hanford really didn't want me dead...)

O

Thanks Al & Shelly. This was a great warm up for ITD!!

Thanks also to all the carvers!! What can be said that already hasn't been said?

Can't wait for the next gathering to see everybody again.

Monkey Pod!!! Yum!!!

Aloha!!

WOW, What a great time! Big Thanks to the Host's. Here is a link to more pics.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAM3LRu1bsmzh4&open=1&sm=1&sl=0

We had a great time. Mahalo to Al & Shelley for your generous hospitality. The Lagoon Room is a amazing work of art in and of itself. Thanks Bosko, Tiki Diablo, Polynesian Pop and the other carvers for sharing your craftsmanship and technique with us. Great BBQ, grinds and drinks (delicious Monkeypods MM). Nice meeting Sabina & Oaktiki (our latest member) and getting together with the TC ohana.
Okole Maluna,
Terry & Sally :sheckymug:

C

Thanks to our hosts Al & Shelly for welcoming us into your home. This was our first TC gathering we have attended other than Oasis and we felt right at home. The Lagoon Room was a sight to behold and we really enjoyed the carving and TC folks!

The Lapu Lapus were delicious as was the new taste sensation the Moneky Pod. I loved seeing Monkey Man smack the mint!

Some pics from our experience.....

OUR GRACIOUS HOSTS!

Smokin Cocktails!

How many was that Monkeyman?

Calling it a Day!

Tiki in Progress!

ShipwreckJoey & Sally

It was great for Greg and I to finally put some faces with names! Thanks again to All!

A

Aloha,
I want to thank everyone for helping make this one terrific day, you guys are the best. First, thanks to Poly Pop for suggesting this event, great idea Adrian. Special thanks to Bosko, Danny and Monkey man for sharing your dark carving secrets, you made the day and everyone loved your demos, great job guys. Thanks for all the gifts I received, Rum, Carvings, CDs, plants, clothing, ceramics and I got to keep the Tiki, thank you all. Thanks to everybody for bringing all the food, it was quite a spread and I appreciate it. (My favorite was ModManna's Pie, Moki's Poki, FredieFreelance's Carrot Cake and Sabu's Asada, good stuff). Thank you all for coming, Shelley and I enjoyed every bit of it, we can't wait for next year.
Mahalo,
Al

Gecko's excellent Velvets. Talk to Poly pop if you want one. They're very cool.

Hanfordhumamodmana

Cyntiki and Greg

Monkeyman made his tasty drink the Monkey Pod all night, very tasty tamarind tropical goodness. Thanks for all your help Derek

Bong!!!!!!

Mean Gene

LAURATONGA!!!!!

Modmana and Mary Anne

Danny Gallardo "The Man"

Randy and Naomi, Naomis due in August, My best wishes to you two (three).

Robin and Johny, thanks for the shell dish, it's beautiful.

Fredie Freelance

Wreck!!!

Ona Tiki!!!

Gavin and Monica

Sabina, all the way from DC.

Ran, Bosko, Marc

Sally

Spermy

Tiki Princess

the surf contingent, Big tiki dude from Cowabunga Surf Music Board, And Steve from the Deoras. Thanks for bringing the logs Jeff.

Thanks again everybody.

It was great being able to finally see the Lagoon Room. Alnshely, you're amazing hosts. Thanks so much. Monkeyman, your drink was great, thanks for mixing.

It's also really great to meet more SoCal TCers for the first time, as well as some out of towners like Sabina and Mike. But it was really great to finally properly meet Tiki Bong. Thanks for the gift Bong, I promise I won't lose it.

Mahalo,

~Hanford

On 2005-05-30 19:35, hanford_lemoore wrote:
But it was really great to finally properly meet Tiki Bong. Thanks for the gift Bong, I promise I won't lose it.
Mahalo

You see what a great carving party can do to people?

What once was two people at war:

Is now two people at peace:

What can I say that havn't been said before?
IIRC, last time this event was held I was thousands of miles away, looking at the pics in envy. This time I realized that my envy back then was justified...besides the fun of meeting friends (old and new) and experiencing Al & Shelly's hospitality, it was a learning experience. Watching the pros do it was fascinating, not to mention getting tips on technique and tools that you wouldn't be able to get normally. It was interesting to see the different styles, and how carving a log is different from carving a frame.
The Monkeypod was a hit, I see a contender for any future drink contests.
Thanks to everyone for the hospitality, education, company, food and drink.
See you next time,
Ran

HOK

Aloha alnshely! (fka Freddie the Lurker) Looks like a great time, hope to make it next time. A little gecko told me you will be visiting the islands soon, give me a holler and we'll party like wild monkeys(no disrespect to any wild monkeys out there):)

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU on 2005-05-31 05:33 ]

Thank you for opening your home to all of us, I think it might be easier to get Joyce out to Tiki events after the warm welcome she received. :)

Al & Shelly,

Big Mahalos for putting together this awesome event. Even for those of us who couldn't make it, the pictures tell a great story!

Aaron

Wow, this looks like a great time! We're really bummed we couldn't make the trip. AlnShelly are THE BEST! My one and only visit to the lagoon room is a foggy, rum soaked memory :wink:

How cool to hang out, watch & learn with Danny and Bosko! We have pieces from all the artists and it would have been great fun to see them all at work! Please keep this an annual event, we'll make it down one of these years, we promise!

the pineapples

T

damn damn and double damn...wanted to go last year. Missed it. Too busy with work and life..heard about it after the fact. Wish I had been there. I would have loved to sponge up words of wisdom from Danny and Bosko. Must attend next year. Marking the calendar now.

CA

damn damn and double damn.. again

well me and Tiki tony were busy at work making tiki art as well, but with out the help of such a great surrounding.... you'll all have to wait till Sep. to see what me and Tony have in-store..... hmmm.

Anyway... missed another great time. dang nab it!
now I got Chisel envy from all the great pics... some day i'll work hard enough to get that new set of carving tools like the pros. Bosko and Danny Rule Supremo!!!!!
next year next year next year

A

Thanks a mucho to hosts Al and Shelley! It's been a long time coming for our visit to the Lagoon Room to work out (going back almost 3 years I think), so it was nice to visit, say hello to friends, get the tour, enjoy the food and drink, and just have a relaxed time! Someday we'll tell our little girl (to be) about her first visit to Oceanside.

-Randy

Pages: 1 2 90 replies