Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Travel to Cuba

Pages: 1 33 replies

T

Without getting into a debate about US/Cuba relations (which have been discussed already here) has anyone been to Cuba lately?

I've been looking into visting Cuba after Hukilau, as it's so close to Florida.

To do so legally, you must have a permit, which for myself is impossible to obtain because I don't have close Cuban relatives, and I'm not a journalist or scientist hired to go there.

I discovered it's not illegal for US citizens to go there, but it is illegal to spend money there. I'm not sure how they prove you spent money there, so the main way they enforce it is by preventing US citizens from booking, buying, or getting on flights that go to Cuba.

However, there are ways around the flight restrictions. One way is to fly into Nassau or Cancun from the US. Once there you can purchase plane tickets to Cuba. And there are travel agents online who can book your flight in advance for you. Nassau is a real short distance from Fort Lauderdale, and the flight from Nassau to Cuba is an hour and a half and costs $300 round trip.

I know some people who have gone through Mexico without a problem, but that was during the Clinton administration. I am hoping to get input from people who have done it in recent years.

People have told me there's lots of 1950s architecture and decor in hotels, restaurants, and buildings. And there's the old Trader Vic's, which was restored.

On 2005-05-19 15:18, thejab wrote:

To do so legally, you must have a permit, which for myself is impossible to obtain because I don't have close Cuban relatives, and I'm not a journalist or scientist hired to go there.

I'd like to go to Cuba someday too -- so far I've only been there via the pages of National Geographic.

I've been told that Americans can go there on group tours from Mexico or Canada as part of a "cultural exchange."

there was an article about this recently in the AAA magazine called Via. Let me know if you want a copy and I can try to mail one to you - it might be available online though.

A friend of mine went recently through Canada - it's actually much cheaper that way and you go with a group that goes for "educational" purposes which is allowed. I hear Cuba is really opening up - you want to go now before it becomes a secondary Cabo San Lucas.

Jab, you wonderful fearless adventurer, you -
Wherever you depart from will require a "tourist visa" as well as your US passport. The tourist visa is what everyone is predominantly concerned with, which sometimes (but not always) includes a US Treasury Dept. License regarding how much money moves around.

Here' what the US Department of State says about it:

CUBA - *Passport and visa required. For specific requirements, consult the Cuban Interests Section, 2630 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202/797-8518). AIDS test required for those staying longer than 90 days. Attention: U.S. citizens need a U.S. Treasury Department license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Cuba (this includes the use of U.S. currency). Before planning any travel to Cuba, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of Treasury, (202/622-2480) or http://www.treas.gov/ofac.

I know several people who have gone on ornithological trips (departing from Fla.), and used a tourist visa, as it was quicker than their perfectly valid academic arrangements. Apparently, people who tromp around looking for endangered species, and spend half a day in a bird blind don't spend as much money as regular ole tourists.

Cuba is also full of classic American cars that are in amazing shape.

Isn't it more glamorous for you to skip off to Nassau first, though?

T

Yes, I got that Via issue as well, thanks.

As far as travel for educational and cultural reasons, it seems that those days are over. From Frommers.com:

Licenses granted for educational travel and certain humanitarian trips, particularly those organized by religious groups, used to be a major route for legal travel to Cuba, but these were severely curtailed by the Bush administration in 2004.

A vague area exists in the realm of "fully hosted" trips. According to the regulations, a U.S. citizen can travel to Cuba without violating the Treasury ban provided he or she does not pay for any goods or services, including food and lodging, or provide any services to Cuba or a Cuban national while in the country. This provision had been widely used by U.S. citizens to buy packages from Canadian, Mexican, or Bahamian tour agencies. However, the Treasury Department has caught on to this tactic and has declared any "fully hosted" trip that is clearly for pleasure or tourism is in violation of the regulations.

This is encouraging, then discouraging:

It is estimated that as many as 80,000 U.S. citizens travel to Cuba each year without a Treasury Department license. The vast majority of travelers use third-country gateway cities like Toronto, Montréal, Cancún, Nassau, or Kingston, and are never questioned or bothered by U.S. authorities upon return. However, the Bush administration has cracked down on unlicensed travelers, and reports of tourists being caught have increased dramatically.

Officially, U.S. citizens who violate the ban face up to 10 years in prison, $250,000 in criminal fines, and $50,000 in civil fines. ... As of press time, no one has yet been tried or convicted.

Maybe I should shut up now. They may be listening!

They say the tourist visa is easy to obtain without a permit from the travel agent the flight is booked through.

I

I highly recommend Robert Polidori's book of photograhs, titled 'Havana' This is one of my favorite photography books - a bit expensive, but as soon as I saw the pictures I knew I had to get a copy for myself. The pages are in a large oversized format, with one photo per page. Many of the pictures that show wonderful art deco buildings, sadly now in rather shabby condition.

A few of the photos can be seen at this site ....
http://www.cubantrip.com/ENG/photobooks/polidorihavana.php

On 2005-05-19 16:06, thejab wrote:

Maybe I should shut up now. They may be listening!

Ha! I can see it now, Cubans walking around with "What Would Jab Do?" t-shirts and cool specs after your influence rubs off on the entire country!

M

Here is info on NOT getting your Passport stamped. If you don't have a Cuba Stamp or an extra Mexican stamp (returning from Cuba)on your Passport, the US Gov't won't know you went. Unless of course you come back wearing a "I went to Cuba and got chummy with a rummy" t-shirt!!
Read more here;http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1444952

T

Thanks for the tip mrsmiley. Good source of more info too.

I especially liked this tip in that forum:

Cuba is a great place to visit. The people are very friendly and the rum is very cheap. Oh, I almost forgot to mention - Cuban women are hot!

T

Cuba after Hukilau?

I'm in.

I hear going through Mexico is the best way...

T

Many tourist agencies here in Toronto take Americans to Cuba. I have been assured that they do it all the time, and you won't get caught - they fly out of Toronto, they dont stamp your US passport, etc. However, my husband (who is American) will wait until he gets Canandian citizenship (in a year or 2) to go, just in case. I can hook you up with a reputable agency if you want.

You will find Cuba full of German and Canadian tourists... just warning you!

T

Even though many people go through Cancun or Canada for me that will be too expensive and time consuming than going through Nassau. I'll only have 5 or 6 days after Hukilau, allowing for a day to fly back home from Florida. Also, I read that in Canadian airports there are often US agents to check for people flying in from Cuba whereas in Mexico and the Bahamas that is not as likely to happen.

Hey JT, glad to hear that you may be going too!

On 2005-05-19 15:18, thejab wrote:
People have told me there's lots of 1950s architecture and decor in hotels, restaurants, and buildings. And there's the old Trader Vic's, which was restored.

There was a great post in the old Yahoo Tiki Central from someone who went to Cuba and visited at least one Tiki Bar. There were a bunch of photos, and the whole place looked amazing. A country frozen in time, to coin a cliche. Unfortunately those posts have been zapped from Tiki Central Yahoo.

Check out the DVD "I am Cuba" for some astonishingly well-shot footage of an early Cuban Tiki bar.

And lets not even begin to discuss the cigars wrapped on thighs of Cuban virgins....
Hope you make it Jab!
Trader Woody

Also, it's good to watch the movie "Buena Vista Social Club" which is a documentary about the aging jazz musicians who live there - good look at how the average Cuban lives.

Friends of mine who have been there say you don't want to venture out of your hotel alone; and a large friend of mine who travelled there said his portliness attracted the impoverished and starving hot Cuban women who saw his girth as a symbol of American wealth, and he had a different Cuban woman each night, and in fact had to change hotel rooms more than once because they didn't want to leave.

There is a good and scary book about the seedier side of Cuba (nonfiction) but I don't remember the name.

For me, this is another reason why you would want to travel in a group down there.

T

For comparison, in the 2nd. week in October Fort Lauderdale to Nassau takes about an hour and costs from $164 - &200 RT, vs. Fort Lauderdale to Cancun, which takes about 2 hours and costs around $400RT.

"I Am Cuba" is a fascinating and visually stunning movie. I've heard that the tiki bar scenes, which come early in the movie, where filmed at the Trader Vic's; however, it looks too much like a sound stage set, perhaps inspired by the Trader Vic's. The Trader Vic's is now run by the gubment, naturally, and is called El Polinesio.

A trip to Cuba sounds compelling! You've got my ears perked.

T

On 2005-05-20 11:52, Trader Woody wrote:

There was a great post in the old Yahoo Tiki Central from someone who went to Cuba and visited at least one Tiki Bar. There were a bunch of photos, and the whole place looked amazing. A country frozen in time, to coin a cliche. Unfortunately those posts have been zapped from Tiki Central Yahoo.

I think I know that guy, if it's the same person. He was a regular at Club Mallard where Robin worked so Robin and I went over to his house in Berkeley a couple of times. Him and his wife went to Cuba in the late 1990s. The bar was the old Trader Vic's, restored and renamed. Also, I think James posted some of his pictures and a review on the Tiki Bar Review Pages.

T

On 2005-05-20 13:11, thejab wrote:
I think I know that guy, if it's the same person. He was a regular at Club Mallard where Robin worked so Robin and I went over to his house in Berkeley a couple of times. Him and his wife went to Cuba in the late 1990s. The bar was the old Trader Vic's, restored and renamed. Also, I think James posted some of his pictures and a review on the Tiki Bar Review Pages.

Back in the heyday of the TBRP, I did have a bunch of pics posted, courtesy of noneother than our old Yahoo pal.

I just went looking for them, and they have all mysteriously vanished.

It's a commie plot, I think.

I'm gonna have to dig those up...

T

Here's some pics of the hotel where El Polinisio is located. Great mural!

I also found some interior shots. The bar:
The lobby:

Swank room! Mirrors by the bed can come in handy.

Last but not least!:

A description of the hotel:

http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,73453/154/record.html

Hey jab!
I was in Cuba three years ago (I'm Canadian). I've travelled alot and have to say, Havana is one of my favorite cities. The cars, architecture and people are amazing!!! There are alot of ways to do Cuba. Veradero and Holguin are the resort areas (very touristy all-inclusives but beautiful beaches) but not really Cuba. If you're more of an adventurer, you can rent a vehicle or take a bus which connects most cities and do your own thing.
Havana is a destination itself, has all kinds of hotels, things to do and see. We stayed in a small budget hotel called 'Hotel Saint Johns' which was clean and in a good location. If I return, I think I'd stay at the 'Nacional' or the 'Inglaterra' hotels for nostalgia's sake. Most things like day trips, tours, rentals etc., can be arranged through your hotel.

Drinking Cuban Rum, puffing on a Cohiba Lanceros while sitting in Hemmingway's hangout (Bar Floridita) listening to Cuban music, is an experience to behold!!

As for dangers, never felt threatened and we walked day and night through much of the city. You will be solicited alot for cigars (buyer beware!) and the occasional 'lady of the night'. Use common sense like anywhere and you should be fine. The people, despite their situation, are wonderful. We had many a conversation about politics, culture, vintage cars and cigars. Knowing some Spanish definitely helps.
I could type for ever but I'll leave it at that. If you'd like more info or have questions, just PM me!

PS: We met several Americans travelling there, some had been many times so it is possible!

Oh yes... and the El Polinesio. Would be a nother choice for sure!!! Just around the corner from where we stayed.

T

Pepe le tiki - Thank you for the info and tips! I think a small hotel close to El Polinisio sounds great. I'll definitely look into staying at the Hotel Saint John's.

A friend stayed at Ambos Mundos. Best freakin trip of their life!

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo on 2005-05-24 09:11 ]

T

I watched "I Am Cuba" this weekend. Beautiful cinematography and locations. I would agree with Humuhumu that Trader Vic's looked like it might have been a stage set. It didn't look like the picture of El Polinesio I found online. But, who knows?

I went to Cuba in Nov. 2003 and it was amazing! I did go legally on an educational visa so I was sure to get that passport stamped. It is a fantastic place to visit but I would be extremely careful if embarking on illegal travel - as I understand (heresay) there are people who monitor the flights and look for American tourists. Prior to the crakdown in '04, I knew of a few people who traveled to Cuba through other countries without incident (well, no govt issues but theft is a problem - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Traveling illegally can become a nasty problem when your passport is stolen) but the fines are stiff and who really wants to be the "example" to everyone else. Don't forget to hide the "contraband" from Cuba (cigars and Rum) before getting back to the US from Cancun or Canada.

Cuba is highly touristed by Europeans, etc. because of the beauty and affordability. Remember, your travelers checks, ATM, and credit cards don't work there (part of the thing where you can't spend your money there). Eurpean credit cards do work if you can manage to get one.

I recommend Cuba highly if you can get there. Its an artistic and architecural dream. On a side note, bring soap, toothpaste, basic hygiene items to give away. They are scarce there and are much appreciated by the people. I visited a rural medical clinic just before leaving Cuba and pretty much just emptied my suitcase - clothes and all to be distributed to the locals.

I don't remember a lot of tikis...I do have a foggy recollection of many palm trees and a itty bitty little bit of rum.

If you go, bring me a cigar!!

M

I have a friend who's been a couple of times, but not in the past few years. I'm pretty sure he went through Cananda (easy as it's right accross the border from Detroit. I'd love to make the trip someday myself, but I'm too paranoid about going there for now.

Matty

This just came across my desk. For those with interest, an opportuity to travel to Cuba...

July 11, 2005

Dear Cuba Policy Advocates:

Because so many of you have asked us how to travel to Cuba legally under current U.S. policy, we’re passing the following information on to you as one of the now-rare opportunities to travel to Cuba legally and for a very worthwhile purpose.  Most legal avenues for travel to Cuba have closed due to Bush Administration restrictions on our fundamental rights.  If you are looking for a way to travel to Cuba and to interact with the Cuban people, here is your chance.

And don’t forget to sign the petition on the freedom to travel and forward it on to others:  http://www.lawg.org/tools/petition.htm   

Sincerely,

Mavis Anderson
Philip Schmidt
Latin America Working Group
http://www.lawg.org

NOTICE:

This is to inform you of an opportunity to participate in a very unique project to help the children of Cuba.

On September 24th 100 Americans will be boarding a plane in Miami to spend 8 days in Cuba on a full-time program of assembling and erecting four custom-made playgrounds in four family neighborhoods in and around Havana. 

This unique opportunity is being sponsored by It's Just The Kids, Inc. (IJTK), a non-profit organization that completed three similar playgrounds in Havana in May 2003.

IJTK is seeking both funds and volunteers to assist with this effort to help the Cuban children.

The organization has obtained all the necessary licenses and permissions from both the U.S. Government and Cuban officials and is now in the process of raising the needed funds and recruiting volunteers to make this project a success.  They could use your help in this effort.

For information about the 2005 Playground Project and It’s Just The Kids, Inc, visit their website at
http://www.itsjustthekids.org .  If you have any questions about the project, contact Debbie Watterson at [email protected] ; or you can call her at 619-749-6068. We also encourage you to pass this information on to anyone you know who may be interested in volunteering and assisting with this project.

Their web page also has photos of the playground sites that will be replaced or constructed in September 2005, along with 3-D renditions of the new playground equipment. Just click on “2005 Playground Sites” on their website for more information – http://www.itsjustthekids.org .

There is a deadline of August 1, so please contact IJTK as soon as possible if you are interested in being part of this program.

The US dollar is very, very strong in Cuba, according the LA Times Travel Section.

On 2005-05-20 04:55, tikifish wrote:
Many tourist agencies here in Toronto take Americans to Cuba.. . I can hook you up with a reputable agency if you want.

Who would you suggest (if not too much trouble)?

Wondering if anyone knows the spefic mechanics of traveling to Cuba, preferably from Tijuana, Mexico (TIJ).

So far, I have only found this:

The problem in travelling to Cuba is that usually one travel agent cannot handle all arrangements to get there. Most U.S. agents are not permitted to sell flights to Cuba. For example, a U.S. agent cannot book a flight from Cancun to Cuba. Further, they can not book the charter flights from the U.S. to Cuba. There are a limited number of agents who are recognized by the Treasury's OFAC as "authorized travel service providers," and they are the only ones who can sell seats on the direct charter flights from the United States. (See Marazul and Tico, below.) You'll need to fill out an affidavit re your license.

The charter flights can be expensive (Miami-Havana, $330, LA-Havana, $670), have a limited schedule, and are often full. Also, paperwork and formalities at both ends can be costly, time consuming, inconvenient, and irritating. For example, the Miami flights require that you arrive at 3am for a 9am flight; six hours of waiting for a 40 minute flight. Before boarding, officials read an announcement, twice in English and in Spanish (four times total) about the illegality of traveling to Cuba without license, even though everyone in the waiting area has to have a license and everyone has already signed same statement. Presumably, treating passengers as though they were in the second grade is justifiable, because you have at best an exception for trading with the enemy. The charters strictly enforce a 20 kilo weight limit (50lbs. in LA), including carry-on luggage. Since most of the passengers are returning Cubans, these flights use a separate terminal in La Habana, and get special scrutiny from Cuban customs, which exacts a dollar duty for every dollar of gifts or purchases brought into Cuba.

If you go unlicensed, then a U.S. travel agent gets you only to your port of departure for Cuba, but then you must get a non-U.S. agent for the ticket to Cuba--usually for cash, since U.S. credit cards do not work for Cuba. The Cancun "system" illustrates the hassles. First, book the reservations for CAN-HAV-CAN by phone or via e-mail; show up at the airline ticket counter, without a ticket; they direct you to one of nearby travel agents, and hopefully you find yours; the agent writes out your ticket and a Cuban tourist card; you pay in cash; and return to the ticket counter and obtain a boarding pass.

There are flights to Cuba from the Caribbean, Latin America, Canada, and Europe. There may be cheap flights or charter to Cancun, Jamaica, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic. Usually the cheapest flights to Cuba are Cuban Airlines, the state-run airline that flies ancient and scary Soviet planes. See cubana.cu.

http://www.cubaclimbing.com/travel.htm

On 2005-09-18 13:31, christiki295 wrote:
Usually the cheapest flights to Cuba are Cuban Airlines, the state-run airline that flies ancient and scary Soviet planes. See cubana.cu.

@#*! Can't seem to get a response from the Cubana website.

... sounds like a mess o' hassle... which makes it the wrong cuba...

... why not go to the new cuba... takes ya bout tens hours in a cooper mini (or an orange chevy vega) from long beach, ca...

http://www.cubanewmexico.com/

... depending on how white you are, you may need a native escort... seen bullet holes in cars with california & new york license plates...

... live dangerously, travel domestically...

Mexicana Air flies out of TJ.
Approx $750 - $650 air + $100 tax.

Has anyone been in the last year or so - I mean: does anyone know anyone who has been in the last year or so?

Pages: 1 33 replies