Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Capt'n Skully's Tiki #1 Finished

Pages: 1 39 replies

Ahoy ALL-

I've dubbed him "Ookii Kowaii", my child-like translation to Japanese to mean "Big Scary".

You can see my Progression Pics here.

ARRGH!
-Skully

[message edited]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:51 ]

T

Ahoy Matey!
I like da Tiki Man just the way he is....most excellent job! Wish I had your carving skills.....!

Looks great. I like the idea of finishing the crown. Lets see more pics.

Hey Capn"

You have some nice lines going on their. I really like how you handled the nose. It's good as is, but since you asked for suggestions, I recently carved out a concave recess on the head of a tiki. It wasn't noticable if viewed straight on, but it did give it a finished feeling.

Scroll down to the stained pics (page 9), and you can kind of see what I did.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8028&forum=7&start=120

The laid-back NYer

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-28 14:12 ]

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-28 14:13 ]

Thats your First carving?
Wow , thats great!!!

B

Cap'nScully, I don't believe thqts yor first tiki or at least your first carving. It's too good. Very nice job. Have you carved other things before? What tools did you use. I would leave him as is he is Really NICE.

That's a great carving!
You should be very proud!
-Tw

Thanks for the warm words- Much appreciated.

This is my first large carving- I've only carved 2 staffs before, which were really just stripping bark compared to this... I pulled it off by lurking here for hours assimilating all the precious data stored in these pages, posted by the MANY masters and carvers, as I've patiently whittled away for months. All chisel.

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-28 21:14 ]

Unique lines, and features...I Like. I Like!
Gives me ideas!

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 29, 2005 4:28 AM

Look at Benzarts latest piece, a hawaiin kinda guy. He put a simple pattern on him.

great tiki cappy....looks awesome for a
first or even an "early" tiki...show some
more!

That is one nice carving.. Love the nose

On 2005-05-28 14:11, Raffertiki wrote:
... I recently carved out a concave recess on the head of a tiki. It wasn't noticable if viewed straight on, but it did give it a finished feeling.

Scroll down to the stained pics (page 9), and you can kind of see what I did.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8028&forum=7&start=120

The laid-back NYer
http://www.NiceFishy.com

Really dig that recessed head- and the lines on the loin cloth effect... Good inspiration- I used the recessed parts for inside his mouth.

Doing cleanup work while finalizing the design...

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-29 15:41 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:15 ]

B

First off BIG Welcome to Tiki Central from us all. We are glad to have you here and it seems as though you will fit in perfectly here, so come on in and relax and stay awhile..
Again, Capt'n Skully, Super nice job. Beautiful for a first one. I wasn't trying to question your honesty with the "not your first" comment, it is just too fantastic for a normal first. You Must carve Many More pieces. I can see super attention to detail. Very precise similar to Aarons Aku carvings. What I can't get over is the level of perfection you have achieved. You are going to be one of the Excellent carvers.
Stop whatever you are doing (except another carving) and start a few more carvings Right away. AND you Must post pictures of the progress. It is very important for you to do this. Only because it is what we love at TC.

S

I usually hate first time carvings. I look and they ask for opinions and I think "firewood!" But I dig this one. Great stuff. Great style and depth.

I just put chisel to wood my first time this weekend. I hope I can come close to yours when I am done.

Captain, that is a great tiki, really unbelievable for a first. I like the sharp angles and different levels that you've incorporated. And judging by the pencil lines, there's lots more detail to come. You are obviously taking your time, which is great. It looks dynamite now, but wait till it's detailed, sanded to perfection, stained and glossed. Are you going to carve out the inside of the mouth? Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

A-A

Thanks again everyone! With your help, I've got the design finalized now- just figuring out a pattern for the front of the crown. I've left the chin area basically alone, just deepening it to enhance the lower lip.

Sanding has begun. :)

Can I cut all that out of the mouth? Without making it prone to any damage with time? It would be a little over half the depth... I'd like to scoop it all out. Is supporting the top an issue? (Palm)

Half the depth would be no problem. I've taken out up to 2/3 the depth with mexican fan palm, and it was no problem. Yes, it will look way cooler with a big gaping tiki mouth! Go for it!

A-A

Well...shiver me timbers! that's one keen lookin' tiki!

awesome for #1!!!!! (you must realize that after posting a tiki like this, you have to continue carving and posting...)

Cut deep! all non-tiki wood must go!
here and here

are two examples of tikis with mouth totally cut out

I'm sure over time, the weight of the head will cause it to sag and maybe snap the wood...but that's years in the future and if the tiki is neglected and allowed to rot. I say go for it!!!

8T

You are off to a fine start with that one.
I can see that you have studied your TC carving threads well grasshopper. We are awaiting the completion of this project but you must realize that you have passed the point of no return. You are one of us now...

Congrats.

O
Octane posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 6:49 PM

welcome to the central, that tiki looks exceptional, especailly for a first. Your tiki has good style, and the cuts are very crisp, good job. Keep up the good work and keep posting those pictures. i can't wait to see this guy all finished up.

Ahoy Cap'n Skully!

What kind of palm is that anyway? I'd swear it's mexican fan palm, but I don't think you east coast guys get that type. Whatever the variety, it's holding the detail well. Pretty seasoned wood, I presume?

A-A

Thanks to each of you for the compliments- really appreciated.

AA- I don't know what type of palm it is, besides free, cut and plentiful after hurricanes... :)

It's one of the three standard Palms around here- a Royal Palm maybe? I gave it about 2-3 months to dry before stripping, and did seal the ends when drying became more obvious... It has a tiny bit of mold that I bleached on the ends- the freshly cut inside of the mouth is beginning to mildew and is soft/mushy. I figure another bleach/prestain treatment and some grinding will cure that enough...

But after sanding, certain areas are holding crisp detail, and I can't wait to see more of the grain effects when it gets varnished- I'm going to go with a quality quick-dry indoor/outdoor marine varnish- Satin finish (recoating possible after 8 hours, 3 coats recommended). I'll give it 24hrs in between, tho.

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-04 10:14 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-05 15:31 ]

More progress made, and I have purchased my varnish and stain. Just have to notch the teeth and a simple pattern on the headdress...

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:14 ]

B

Excellent progress shots Cap'n Skully. A couple spookey shots in there. Did you notice how this gut=ys expression Lights UP when he's putting the bite on anyone? Watch him, he's got the Devil in him.
Cool tiki almost looks Art Nouveau-ish. I like your attention to crisp detail.

F

Great first tiki!! Can't wait to see him with all finished up.

BTW, I love your signature! Arghhh...

O
Octane posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 4:05 PM

he looks very well, i'm very impressed, you did a good job on him. Love all the photos, from start to finish. can't wait to see him all stained up and varnished.

When your tiki passes the tiki god pose it means you have a winner.

On 2005-06-07 17:25, Raffertiki wrote:
When your tiki passes the tiki god pose it means you have a winner.

AYE-AYE.
We should have a thread ONLY allowed for 1 picture of each finished tiki carved here- and only in the TIKI GOD POSE

Well, I'm finished with #1- Ookii Kowaii

You can see my Progression Pics here.

A huge thanks to everyone's encouragement and tips. Seriously.

Damn thats 1 fine tiki.

B

Skully, That is one FINE Tiki. You MUST get busy and carve more. And Don't keep it under wraps for so long.
Sorry I have such large posts. I like the way you kept yours clean and small with the link to the progression pix. I'm not sure how to do that so ....

Thanks Ben and Rodeotiki! Much Appreciated.

It's all I can do not to start stripping the next log tonite...

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 22:04 ]

Quite a finish, Skully! It looks somehow traditional with a modern art twist. Really nice work. It's hard to believe that it's palm with that kind of sharp detail. You should try some hardwood someday. So what's next?

Aaron

A perfect tiki! it's great!

Man, Capt - what a fine tiki! He looks like he weighs a ton, and the lines are so clean. Great color too! This CAN'T be the first one ever, is it??!?! Thanks for posting this beauty!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-24 06:46 ]

M

I see a lot of new or first carvings and have never paid a compliment to any of them. I know that people put thought and care into their carvings but I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of ALOHA that shows through in your "Big Scary". I can see you have a solid grasp of 3d design and have taken time to achieve your percieved ideal and for this your passion has manifested in such a fine piece and resonates by the compliments of others.

Big MAHALO to you for sharing.

"Be excellent to each other, and . . . "

Yep, great work Skully, lookin' forward to another.

Thanks again- your comments are greatly appreciated!

I'm thinking of doing a marquesan style next. Will post the sketches while I try to track down some better wood... My next log has unwelcome "guests".

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find some of that nice white pine in Florida?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2005 6:13 AM

Awesome tiki. I also can't beleive that is your first tiki carving - unbloody believable.

Also love the progress page. Great for a "how to".

Of course, now you have to carve more!

Nice lookin finished product there, capt. Can't wait to see the next...marq? cool!

Pages: 1 39 replies