Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

They call him Mellow Yellow....

Pages: 1 32 replies

M

On his way to watching over a soon to be opened crepe place, Bob has been brutally slathered in mustard yellow.

We still love you, Bob. We'll find out who did this to you...and we'll make the bastards pay.

A

My god, the humanity of it all! Boycott the damn crepes!

M

Okay... now that's just not right. Bob! Can you hear us?! RUN!!!

RR

At least he wasn't ripped down. A bad paint job can be fixed.

[ Edited by: Rob Roy on 2005-06-01 16:58 ]

Bring back the original colors! Get a Tiki Bob mug for comparison and match it! Like this:

Sabu

Not that I wouldn't promote defacing other peoples property, and not that I am even suggesting this, but just as a thought, wouldn't it be kind of fun hypothetically, if there was a certain group of people (say at these things called a "crawl"), and each would have a small can of paint, hypothetically, and the colors in these "so called" cans of paint HAPPEN to be the correct colors for TikiBob? And by chance, at this crawl, each person took a small section of Bob and brought him back to the correct color? Say in less than 2 minutes, with the right amount of people, a 'makeover' could take place? In & out like ninjas?

Just my 2 coconuts worth...

BTW, count me in with a disposable brush in hand....hypothetically speaking.

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2005-06-01 17:23 ]

Uh......wow! You know, though, they based him out pretty good there! He looks even. I'm sure they're not gonna just leave him like that, right? That's just the base coat.

Right?

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 6:39 PM

i think any hypothetical ideas bringing bob back to his former glory should remain in a private post like maybe email or somthing. Just incase some realy cool people deside to accualy do it. We i mean "they" wouldnt want to get in any kind of trouble...thanx anon12345

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 7:17 PM

I've never seen Bob in the flesh and don't live anywhere near him...but maybe someone could show a Tiki Bob mug to the new owner, explain the history and offer to return him to his former glory for some free crepes. Hopefully they'll understand that an important tiki landmark can do nothing but bring in more business.

M

gack !!

Ok. Really now. How many damned crepes would one have to sell at that location to pay what I'm sure is an absurd rent?

Next calculate how many Mai Tais at Lucky Tiki prices ( not complaining, the drinks were damned strong ) would one have to sell to make afforementioned rent?

This begs the question of why the hell someone hasn't opened a tiki bar in this location? Its got all the street cred one could ever hope to have and more.

Its got a damned built in mascot fer chris'sakes! No r and d on a mascot. Bang zoom, instant t-shirt material. Hey you could even gasp design a mug. Lotsa design costs eliminated with affore afforementioned mascot.

What Gives? If somone thinks a damned crepe shop can survive there why couldn't a nicely executed watering hole fair as well or better?

Ok I know not jot one about San Francisco, but really now...

The only good thing about that color is that he could become my mascot, get it, banana bob?...anybody?

[ Edited by: bananabobs on 2005-06-01 20:39 ]

M

"Hey, I like the color of your [Bob] there, man, what's that supposed to be, a sort of a cross between piss yellow and puke green, ain't it?"

midnite mongo: no like 'em yellow... yellow bad, crepes bad. Tiki Bob just a pawn in game of life."

M

There was nothing left, kitchen-wise, in that space. A bar would have been far too expensive to re-open there. Crepes are easy. I'm sure it was still an expensive remodel, but crepes are trendy in SF right now, stragely enough, so I expect it won't be around forever.

No matter what, Bob is structural. They might cover him up, but they can't take him away.

He will live to fight another day.

That really gives me the crepes!

Must...paint...Bob...

D

danged French, and their crepes.. and isn't that color dijon mustard yellow?

P

Didn't we discuss this already Martiki?

There are only a few here that would risk getting in "trouble" for doing this, but I'll bet you that we could get a SF reporter there to cover it if Mig were involved.
That cwazy ape.

BTW, I'll be in SF this summer with some serious time on hand. To do some... stuff.

Bob needs some help. If someone would pledge a decent mug to me, I would see to it that the proper pigment was applied. Yellow is OK, for a hibiscus blossom. Earthy Red is much more "bobish."

B

I'm with Juno. Has anyone considered approaching the business to let them know the historical significance of the guy out in front of their place? Show them the Book of Tiki. Perhaps they could be persuaded to allow a Tiki conservationist to restore Bob to his former glory. The restaurant could even benefit from the publicity (newspapers love little "local color" pieces where they can run a photo and short blurb) as well as having a distinctive landmark to direct customers into the place ("We are located downtown on the corner with Tiki Bob"). If they got a strong response from Tiki fanatics they might really enjoy the attention.

Just a thought. The worst they could say is "no". If they turn out to be cool about it, folks can meet there in the morning for crepes after a night out at the Tonga Room. You know, show them some support and appreciation.

If they say no, I suggest a early morning visit to Bob with cans of white and brown paint. It can't take long, what with so little detail. They might get tired of re-painting him yellow if this happened a few times. That is just the kind of thing we used to do in Art school– late night "guerilla public Art pieces".

-Duke

M

The repainting has been discussed before, both on TC, and by some SF locals. It's still percolating...

On 2005-06-01 23:28, pablus wrote:
There are only a few here that would risk getting in "trouble" for doing this, but I'll bet you that we could get a SF reporter there to cover it if Mig were involved.

IN THEORY , to minimize getting caught, maybe the repainting should happen in the wee hours of the morning, well after the bars have closed.

I don't know about that color, but I have a sudden hankering for banana crepes with quality rum drizzled on top...

sneak in fast...like grasshoppah...

I'd be out of the country before they knew what happened. I say night time is best, if they didn't agree to our demands, I mean kindly request.

I like the idea of educating them, they might very well agree to a tasteful makeover!(restoration)

Photos compliments of Martiki.

Better watch it Jungle Trader, The Hat is making his way around Third St as we speak.

Mmmmmm! Tiki Bob think Martiki's hair care product smells like mai tai on a spring morning, .

S

Well, you know, they could at least adopt Bob. I mean, when I see him there, I'd paint his face white like it should be and put one of those thin swirly Dali moustaches on him. He is cute. It's not some ferrocious Ku standing there. It's cute, smiling Tiki Bob! If I had Photoshop handy, I would change him if cyberspace right now!

S
SES posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2005 1:10 PM

Print out some of those Ebay famous TikiBOB Elvis mug auctions and give them to the owners. Maybe they will take advantage of the famous connection and use it for PR and free advertising.

How long has he been yellow like that? I think they're planning on adding more colors to the guy and haven't gotten around to it.

On 2005-06-02 15:12, procinema29 wrote:
I think they're planning on adding more colors to the guy and haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, that just looks like a rather unpleasant undercoat, unless they are going with a misguided crepe batter theme.

Trader Woody

UB

On 2005-06-02 15:12, procinema29 wrote:
How long has he been yellow like that? I think they're planning on adding more colors to the guy and haven't gotten around to it.

Ya, they're probably going to turn him into some Frenchy dude.
(No offence Virani) :D

Better?

M

Would this make him "Tiki Pierre the Crepe Eating Icon"?

M

On 2005-06-02 16:13, SilverLine wrote:
Better?

I think this option rocks, in case the crepe folks like the creepy yellow they choose--It combines traditional Bob and crepe Tiki Robert ("Ro-bear")

T

On 2005-06-02 15:23, Unga Bunga wrote:
Ya, they're probably going to turn him into some Frenchy dude.
(No offence Virani) :D

Haw-haw!

Pages: 1 32 replies