Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

W

Hey Unkle John,

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how to get on the list for the unofficial opening on the 11th? The better half and I would love to come down if possible!!

I am guessing that the gala opening on the 11th would have fewer people, and as such might be the better choice.

Regards,
Pesky Oklahoma Tiki

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 9:38 AM

From yesterdays Dallas Morning News:

**Flurry with the tiki?

Like a scene from a rejected Gilligan's Island script, something strange happened when the big new tiki statue was put into place Wednesday in front of the about-to-open Trader Vic's at Hotel Palomar.

"As soon as we put up the tiki, it started snowing," says Palomar and Vic's co-owner Jeff Berry. "I don't know what that means."

For you historical purists, this isn't the original Trader Vic's tiki statue that, for more than two decades, watched sphinx-like over Mockingbird Lane.

"It's not the original big one, but it's big and imposing," says Jeff. "We still have thoughts of getting original Mr. Tiki up."**

No snow but here's the tiki:

Is this "new" tiki, um, female? Like, really-flat-female? Or just anatomically incorrect male with very compact, round pecs?

And from whence came s/he?
I remember reading about their getting it out of some dusty old warehouse or something, but that could be a lie or my bad memory, or both.

See you soon, Kenike!
F

UJ

To read about the old Trader Vic's tiki you can click here:
old Trder Vic's Tiki article

Addition: The Trader Vic's tiki that showed up on ebay a while back actually belong to the one in Dallas? Or did we determine it was one like it? ebay Trder Vic's Tiki

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-02-06 21:59 ]

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 2:04 AM

I don't remember what that Ebay tiki looked like. The Moai pictured in the first link (laying on his back) is the original. In that same thread there's a post by TheJab that had some pics he took in 1999 of the Moai when it was still holding vigil in front of TV. The pics aren't there anymore but luckily I saved them:

In the first pic you can see the entrance to TV in front of the Hilton (which is now the Palomar). This area has doesn't look anything like this anymore.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 5:00 PM

The preview dinner has been pushed back a week...the official opening..??? I'm guessing the 23rd or so.

UJ

(Sighs heavily) ... why does that not surpirse me at all.
I wonder if it's all a cruel joke on us.

P
PremEx posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 7:00 PM

Well, remember their nice website with all the Flash animation? Now it just says:

Trader Vics Dallas
has been suspended due to non-payment.

If you represent the client that has failed to make payment please resolve this issue by contacting Brainfood's billing department.

http://www.tradervicsdallas.com/

Ooopsey! Not a good thing to have your web presence disappear so close to opening.

I wonder if they're even aware of this?

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 7:19 PM

I wonder if they're even aware of this?

LoL, I guess they are now!

Apparently there's still some construction issues at TV. Luckily we have a flexible babysitter.

B

This has to be some kind of cruel joke.

Well, to put a brite side to the dark cloud...

Good things come to those who wait.

K

Jeeze, I deserve the first Mai Tai served at Dallas Trader Vics more than THESE people.... who's been holding vigil out front for 2 years?...braving the traffic on 75 and Mockingbird just to get a picture of the front door?? Who got kicked out of the Palomar's parking lot on more than one occasion for "getting in the way??" Who...I ask you...WHO???

Do you suppose that "At My Table" place will actually sell TV's table ware? Or just taunt us with it?

Worth holding vigil, holding up traffic, and getting kicked out of the parking lot for a set of plates!

See you soon, Kenike!
Looking forward to buying you, who deserve it more than any vacuous Dallas socialite, a TV Mai Tai,
F

P

Their web site is back in business...although there's no news on it and it still states that the restaurant is opening in 2006. But it's back up and running at least. :)

a magazine is going to send me to Tulsa on a writing assignment. Tuls is practically a Dallas suburb. No idea of a date huh?
Robertiki

K

On 2007-02-12 09:45, Robertiki wrote:
a magazine is going to send me to Tulsa on a writing assignment. Tuls is practically a Dallas suburb. No idea of a date huh?
Robertiki

I don't know a definite date but I'm guessing end of next week. Next Sunday & Monday is their "mock service."

When will you be in Tulsa? Isn't that about a 4 hour drive to Dallas?

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-02-12 14:49 ]

4 hour drive? More like 5.

I drove to the Trader Vic's in Bellevue from Portland last week just for their happy hour. Thats a 3 hour drive.

I once drove a Vespa cross country for a drink at the tiki bar in Brooklyn.

Shoot fire, I have a whole roll of photos from the old TV but they are on film stock.
Robert

K

Spoke to someone at TV...the "unofficial" date of the opening is March 1st.

On 2007-02-12 14:48, Kenike wrote:

...2010?

Trader Vics is waiting for the health inspections next week....it's nearly done :)

Just FYI...I've seen it.

On 2007-02-13 07:17, BrickHorn wrote:

On 2007-02-12 14:48, Kenike wrote:

...2010?

LOL I was thinking the same date! So I guess we should wait untill it's actually open before we start to plan our gathering, huh?

On 2007-02-15 11:23, basylica wrote:
Trader Vics is waiting for the health inspections next week....it's nearly done :)

Just FYI...I've seen it.

Beans! We want beans!
Spill them!!

What's it like?!?
F

K

From todays Dallas Morning News:

**Full-tilt tiki

The tiki gods are demanding just a few more days of construction and a little more paperwork before the old-new Trader Vic's opens at the Hotel Palomar on Mockingbird. Right now the owners are looking to open to the public on Feb. 27.

But every day, things are looking more tiki-fied.

Last week, the backlit Trader Vic's sign, in the faux Polynesian Trader Vic's font, went up on the side of Hotel Palomar above the recently installed big tiki statue.

Eve Bergeron, granddaughter of Victor "Trader Vic" Bergeron, has been in Dallas helping to train the staff.

Grandfather Victor opened his first restaurant in 1932 across the street from his parent's Oakland, Calif., grocery store. He named it Hinky Dink's. And even after he changed the name to Trader Vic's, old-timers like San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen referred to themselves proudly as the "loyal sons of Hinky Dink."**

The tiki gods are demanding just a few more days of construction and a little more paperwork before the old-new Trader Vic's opens at the Hotel Palomar on Mockingbird.

Damn you, Laura Miller!

On 2007-02-19 09:49, BrickHorn wrote:
The tiki gods are demanding just a few more days of construction and a little more paperwork before the old-new Trader Vic's opens at the Hotel Palomar on Mockingbird.

Damn you, Laura Miller!

LOL agreed! Dang, she's still mayor?!
What's funny is that Lubbock has a mayor Miller (who is not as bad as she is) and a african-american gentleman named Pryce as county commissioner as well. If you don't know about Dallas' Pryce, ask a Dallasite.

Very odd.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-02-19 23:07 ]

According to the website, TV's is reopening Feb. 28, 2007.

My head is still swimming - partly due to the mai tai and partly due to the fact that my wife and I just took a tour of the Trader Vic's! We're in Dallas this weekend, and decided to swing by the Trader's to see if anyone would be around to let us peek in and have a quick look. To our (pleasant) surprise, the entire staff was there training and prepping for the second mock service tonight. We sweet talked our way into two mai tais and a grand tour. What a nice surprise on an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon!

The space is beautiful. The old A-frame is gone (to make room for retail space), but its absence doesn't detract from the interior experience at all, which is best described as tiki escapism, luxury-style. Because the place was basically sealed up for 20+ years, the new owners were able to salvage most of the decor, including the original Marquesan-style tiki columns and the original bar (the only change is that it was been given a protective coating). Some of the decorations (the masks above some of the booths, for example) were brought in from another closed-down TV's. The owners have named the bar "Hinky Dinks" in honor of the original Vic Bergeron restaurant. I thought that was a nice touch.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera with me (stupid, stupid!). I do have a picture on my cell phone of our two mai tais and a coaster, but don't know how to transfer the pic from my phone. The mai tais were exceptional and the service was superb (of course, everyone is in training and is overly enthusiastic now - hopefully it lasts!). The entire staff was very gracious and patient. I absolutely can't wait to go for a full evening in a couple of weeks.

P

I just took a [i]tour of the Trader Vic's!

You lucky stiff! :)

Glad to hear it turned out so nice. Hope to see lots of pictures soon, as TC'ers start streaming in. Hope they do gangbuster business, too.

K

We were there last night....Formikahini came all the way from Houston and joined my wife and I for drinks and dinner. Got lots of pics, lots of info...all coming soon.

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:16 ]

T

Aloha !!!
I drive by every day on my way to work. Plan on going Tuesday night. I had been to the TV's before it closed years ago. I had a real cry when the Giant Tiki out front was taken away, but all will be well again! I can't wait to see how much or how little it has changed.

Blackfish, Thanks for the salute :) I hope to see you at the meet-up!

Tikikai welcome to the board!

T

Tonight is the official opening. I was the architect/designer on the project and have been there through the whole 2 year rebirth process. almost full time the last week and a half for the final push. the word of mouth has gotten out and the phones were ringing off the hook yesterday when i was there. lots of pent up tiki demand in town.

UJ

Tikiarch, Thank you for your hard work. From the pictures I seen your job looks like it was well done and fun (I might add). Hope to see you there.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:11 PM

Welcome Tikiarch! Look forward to hearing some of your insight on the rebirth of Trader Vics in Dallas.

You can now go to Locating Tiki and read the full report from Formikahini and myself on our experience at the Dallas TV.

T

thanks for the welcome and very accurate "full report"
great photos too. i did my best restoring the lamp shades (a few still need a bit of work)
it was my personal mission to gaurd these during the construction process but we did loose a few.

we did not remove Neau panels, haggi twig panels, bamboo etc. unless absolutley necessary.

I found a clean piece of the original carpet in the old office under a cabinet so that i could get the colors right on the new custom made goods.

some of the carved masks and both chandeliers (entry and hostess area) came from Chicago as well as the giant clam shells. the originals were gone when i got involved in March 05 but i could tell by the hole pattern in the walls that they were there. Luckily Trader Vics corporate had these from the closed Chicago location.

The new mosaic tile in the Chinese Oven room is the same as in Scottsdale.

the light coves behind the banquettes and booths were reworked with zenon lamps spaced more frequently that the original bulbs creating a more even glow. the new plastic cove covers are a discontinued 70's textured amber that was discovered in the back room of a plastic distributor.

the actual bar was expanded to an L-shape giving more bartender stations and backbar display. the thick resin coated wood bar top was saved, resurfaced and expanded with a piece left over from a trader vics that closed in Japan.

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 9:24 AM

Wow...GREAT info. Thanks for all your hard work on restoring the restaurant to its former glory!

K

bump

I wlll be in Dallas later this week and am looking forward to once again stopping in at TV. Is there a TC night at TV in Dallas?

K

There's not really a TC night but we do have an occasional gathering. I'm out of town this week but if you post which night you're going to be in town I'm sure some of the locals will pop in if they can.

Which day(s) are you in Dallas? They have Mai Tais for $3, all day, Tuesday. It sounded like you meant later in the week than that, though.
Anyway, I might be able to meet you there, in Kenike's absence. Can any other locals make it?

I arrive on the 16th, hopefully the 15th if I can drive fast enough. My last night will be on the 20th, which is a Monday. Damn, I hate to miss that Tuesday. I'd love nothing better than to meet some local Dallas TCer's. I'll keep checking the thread.

K

I can make it Saturday the 18th. Anyone else?

On 2009-07-15 06:59, Kenike wrote:
I can make it Saturday the 18th. Anyone else?

Got a thing, earlier evening, so if I did, it'd be late... like, 10:00. Other nights (or happy hours), I'm pretty flexible.
I think telescopes said in another thread that he'd be at TV's on Fri nite, after visiting a place in the Stockyard's, earlier in the day. Maybe he could change to Sat nite, Kenike... or go two nites in a row?

K

Okay I might be able to do Friday.

Telescopes, what works best for you?

Kenike, I am thinking about dropping by Friday. In fact. Friday sounds great. What is a good time.

K

On 2009-07-16 13:53, telescopes wrote:
Kenike, I am thinking about dropping by Friday. In fact. Friday sounds great. What is a good time.

I'll be there between 5-6 traffic permitting...need to take full advantage of happy hour. I'll PM you my info.

Anyone else??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies