Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

Awesome news! Mahalo for keeping ar ear out. Can you find out if that is their opening or their "garnd opening" (aka with all the hoopla)? I would love to get back to Big D for that but I am doing Hukilau and might have trouble squeezing the extra weekend in.

Awesome news! Mahalo for keeping ar ear out. Can you find out if that is their opening or their "garnd opening" (aka with all the hoopla)? I would love to get back to Big D for that but I am doing Hukilau and might have trouble squeezing the extra weekend in.

Excellent! Just in time for our 4 year wedding anniversary!

Mahalo, Brother!

K

On 2006-06-26 15:33, gretanicole wrote:
Hey everyone, I e-mailed Trader Vic's in Dallas to get an opening date. I was told they plan to open October 1, 2006. Just a few days before Hukilau.

Thought you all would want to know! :wink:

Thats great except I'LL BE ON MY WAY TO THE HUKILAU :(

Why on a Sunday...Scottsdale TV did the same thing.

doesn't Austin have Ocean's 11? Damn cheap drinks

They closed a couple of years ago.

Count me in.....sounds way cool & almost stumbling distance to my house!

K

When the opening date gets closer we should start planning a TC get-together for later October or November. I'll probably be there for the grand opening on the 1st but I'm sure they won't want us to plan something big on opening night. Lots of TC'ers will be coming from out of town so we should start thinking about when to plan it.

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!!!!!

B

On 2006-06-01 09:27, Robertiki wrote:
doesn't Austin have Ocean's 11? Damn cheap drinks

The closest thing Austin has to a genuine tiki joint is the Hula Hut, and that's more of a Tex-Mex-meets-retro-Hawaii-meets-Jimmy-Buffett-inspired-lake-culture type place. As much as I enjoy the Hula Hut, it won't do much to scratch the tiki itch.

R

Count me in for that party!

K

Drove by the location today. I'm not sure what is being built, but there's another part of the Palomar under construction directly in front of TV so you can't see it from the street. Maybe a lobby or something with more condos? It looks like you'll have to walk through this building to get back where the restaurant is.

Formerly known as "Juno"

[ Edited by: Kenike 2006-07-29 14:32 ]

I've been a lurker here for a while, but with TV getting ready to open, I lurk no more! Looking forward to my first Dallas Mai Tai (hey, it is Trader Vic's) and hope to spot some TC'ers at some gathering.

Grande Kahu

K

On 2006-07-31 16:34, Grande Kahu wrote:
I've been a lurker here for a while, but with TV getting ready to open, I lurk no more! Looking forward to my first Dallas Mai Tai (hey, it is Trader Vic's) and hope to spot some TC'ers at some gathering.

Grande Kahu

Welcome Grand Kahu! Hopefully more of the Dallas area lurkers will make themselves known soon.

If you're on MySpace, Unkle John has just started a Texas Tikiphiles group.

S
suelo posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 1:43 PM

Glad to hear there is finally a date! We'll be there FOR SURE! As much as we'd love to Hukilau, we're going to Maui for 9 days in September...gotta choose your battles :) Looking forward to seeing you all in October!!! Aloha!

K

The new web site is finally up...check it out!

S
suelo posted on Sun, Aug 20, 2006 5:25 PM

I've been to the site...thanks for the link....I'm tasting the mai tai's right now...let's just hope that Martin Denny is playing in the background!!!!!!

The headline on the web site brags about their 'modern twist', and their history of Tiki page contains three sentences, that end with the opening of the first Trader Vic's in 1932 (is that date even right?). Does not bode well.

Well look at it this way. Even if it has some "modern" tiki in it, it couldn't be worse than the "Tiki Bob's" in the West End. Atleast TV's has some history behind it and it seems they are going to try to keep that alive.

K

The "history of tiki" page is not complete, obviously. It's a slightly reworded version of the "About The Trader" page on the official Trader Vics web site. Why they stopped at that paragraph I'm not quite sure, except that the entire site is still under construction. As far as the "modern twist" is concerned...it's certainly true with all the "new" Trader Vics that are popping up. I visited the one in Scottsdale and it certainly doesn't resemble anything we've seen in pictures. It's a lot brighter, the ceilings are higher, definitely more "modern" for a Trader Vics. But the Dallas location is an already intact "older style" TV. Now, what they keep and don't keep still remains to be seen. Hopefully the pics on the web site are close to what we'll be seeing there. They ought to be if they took the trouble to include them.

Formerly known as "Juno"

[ Edited by: Kenike 2006-08-21 19:46 ]

P

Just an FYI for anyone arriving Dallas in October for Vic's opening...the Texas State Fair is running in Dallas from Sept 29 thru Oct 22nd.

Prem is right (and beat me to the post) I was thinking we could do the meet up at the end of October or possibly in November. But then again, the star fair really isn't much of a big deal these days.

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2006-08-24 21:26 ]

DON'T tell me the fair isn't a big deal anymore.

Deep fried turkey leg
deep fried snickers bars
deep fried twinkees
deep fried little children

as one of the "fry-masters" said, " whatcha got?"

On 2006-08-25 08:13, Robertiki wrote:
DON'T tell me the fair isn't a big deal anymore.

Deep fried turkey leg
deep fried snickers bars
deep fried twinkees
deep fried little children

as one of the "fry-masters" said, " whatcha got?"

Don't forget Texas-OU. Hook 'Em.

On 2006-08-29 16:54, BrickHorn wrote:

Don't forget Texas-OU. Hook 'Em.

Hopefully they'll party at Tiki bobs in the West End.

well, i accidentally posted a topic entitled "dalls area tiki", but i guess i should've looked more, lo ciento. ANYWAYS, i'm glad to be apart of the group, and can't wait till Trader V's opens. it'll be my first in hopefully a long line of tiki experiences.

S
suelo posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 8:54 AM

I agree with Uncle John about the fair. While it is a big deal along wtih TX/OU weekend, most of that traffic won't be near 75 & Mockingbird. We normally hang out at a bar across the street from Fair Park and it's common knowledge to stay away from there the whole month of October...HOWEVER, if we want to plan something for end of Oct. beginning of Nov. that's fine with me too. It might make it easier to stay away from the initial "plastic" Dallas opening crowd. :) I say that with all sincerity and you true Dallasites know exactly what I mean :)

K

Drove by the Palomar/TV location last week. It certainly didn't look like they're just weeks away from opening...more like months! I've emailed the contacts listed on the website and NO ONE has responded when I asked for ANY info about the opening. Finally I just called the Palomar and was told TV is still under construction and is at least 2-3 months away from opening. So there you go...delayed once again.

K

I was just at the "official" Trader Vics site (tradervics.com) and Dallas as now listed as a location...opening November 2006. Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't get pushed back yet again.

S
suelo posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 4:35 AM

I saw that Hotel Palomar is having a ribbon cutting ceremony today so I went to http://www.hotelpalomar-dallas.com. If you go to the left hand menu & click on "Dining", TV is listed with a description & dining hours which makes it appear as though it is open, but obviously it's not. I think we're going to stop by the hotel this weekend to check it out...I'll follow up with a report.

I just called the hotel to check TV's status since I'll be changing planes in Dallas next week and thought I might arrange a long enough layover. Alas, the desk clerk at the Palomar says that TV's won't be open til the "end of the year, sometime."

K

If that is the set date, is that when they plan on the "big party"? If so I think we should shoot for that.

Man I'm ready for this to happen, We need to think of a way to identify each other when we are there. Besides "i'll be wearing a hawaiian shirt" LOL.

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 2:06 PM

UJ

That is expected for an establishment, but also promising to the fact our dreams are getting closer to reality. I used to work for Miller there in Dallas and worked with TABC (jerks), and I believe after the permit permission is posted it will be 30-60 days. Depends on if anyone causes a fuss. Most of the times it's not that long (60 days), but being a prior establishment that served alcohol I doubt anyone will cause a stink. Lets all pray that TV doesn't turn out to be like the Tiki Bob's in the west end.

H

The Dallas Morning News reported today that the Dallas TV opening has been pushed backed to mid-February due to construction noise bothering the Hotel Palomar business office (directly above.)It also mentions that they acquired the chandelier from the recently closed Chicago Trader Vic's.

On 2006-12-04 14:06, Kenike wrote:

So, has anyone called the contact number?

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 9:15 AM

That number is for the TX Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC).

Here's the article from todays paper. Thanks Hazmania for the heads up.

**February opening for Trader V's

The reopening of the once-old, now-new Trader Vic's at the Hotel Palomar has been pushed back to mid-February because of a few delays. Apparently, Palomar's conference facilities, directly above Trader Vic's, have been very busy.

"Noise prohibition has stopped construction often," says Palomar and Trader Vic's co-owner Jeff Berry. "That's a great thing for the hotel, but it has delayed our opening."

Among decorative items the Dallas restaurant has scored is a chandelier that once hung in the original Trader Vic's in California's Bay Area. The chandelier had been relocated to the Chicago Trader Vic's. "That location had to shut down due to a high-rise being constructed there," Jeff says, "and the chandelier was put in storage."**

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-01-08 09:30 ]

Hi All! =D

I just called Hotel Palomar and was told the opening date will be Feb 11th (Sunday night). I'm sure that's set in stone! wink, wink, LOL!

Anyways, I can't wait. Who's gonna be there for the grand opening? I'm there! =D Would love to meet up with everyone, even if it's at another date. Well, I should say, even if it's another time besides the grand opening, whevener that will be. (rolls eyes laughing).

I was hoping we could all get together a few weeks after it opens. That way they hussle and bussle has kinda died down. Of course any ohana in Dallas and surrounding areas are free to go on recon :)

I'm trying to get people on TC who live in Texas interested in showing. Look below and pass it along.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-22 21:06 ]

K

On 2007-01-22 19:05, gretanicole wrote:
I just called Hotel Palomar and was told the opening date will be Feb 11th (Sunday night). I'm sure that's set in stone! wink, wink, LOL!

Thanks for that info...let's hope it IS set in stone this time. I'm sure I'll be there if the 11th is official.

I'm thinking our first TX gathering should probably be sometime in the spring. Hopefully they'll be open by then :lol:

Unkle John,
I followed your link and registered on the Texas Tiki forum. I'll try to keep watching here and there for updates and hope to be available for any get-togethers at Trader Vic's.

Hey it's good to see you over there. I hope more Texas tikiphiles join up there who frequent this site or any others. In no way am I trying to compete with TC. I just want to gather as much info on tiki sites in Texas to share the info to Texas tiki collectors who have not stumbled across TC, and to promote the ohana feel.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-23 21:52 ]

On 2007-01-23 07:59, Kenike wrote:

On 2007-01-22 19:05, gretanicole wrote:

Thanks for that info...let's hope it IS set in stone this time. I'm sure I'll be there if the 11th is official.

I'm thinking our first TX gathering should probably be sometime in the spring. Hopefully they'll be open by then :lol:

Well, then, they've got a two-week cushion. The wife and I are planning to trip up to Dallas the weekend of the 25th, and dinner/drinks at Trader Vic's is definitely going to be the highlight. If it isn't open, then we're just going to whip up a batch of homemade Mai Tais, drive on down to Mockingbird Lane and stage a drunken sit-in out in front of the Trader's. I've been waiting for that damned place to open since August.

So we need to start to figure out when we need to hold our gathering at TV. I'm up for early to mid-March if any of you want to wait that long. But Feb 24th is fine with me. I was also wondering if any of you would want to do a crawl to a few of the other tiki.... inspired bars around Dallas (sans Tiki Bob's Cantina) OR would any of the Dallas area ohana wish to open their homes to us so that we could view their collections, creations, home bars and to share a drink.

If I still lived in Dallas I would love for you guys and gals to swing buy. But I currently live in the Lubbock area. But if anyone travels to this site of the state, my door is open for you to come by. Just give me a heads up before hand, please. :)

I also want non-Texas tikiphiles to know they are welcome to come down as well to help celebrate this exciting event.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-31 16:45 ]

W

Regarding the Trader Vic's opening . . .

Noticed that the web site, tradervicsdallas.com is returning a blank page as of Feb 1, at 2145 hours. . .

"I gotta bad feeling about this one. . "
John McGinley Platoon & Wall street

I really hope not, I would love to come down and be a part of the festivities.

Wesley Horton
another pesky Oklahoma Tiki

UJ

No worries, brother to the north. Kenike is on the guest list for the opening on the 11th. The site isn't loading for me either, probably just server problems. From what I understand, the 11th is a trail run, for the papers and people who want to be there. The true public opening will probably be a week later.

We are thinking sometime in the spring or summer for our meet-up when the weather is warmer and safer for ohana coming from areas were traveling can be hazardous. Details are on the tiki texas board I run. Again anyone is welcome to join in.

H

The Dallas Morning News reports today that the public Grand Opening for the new Trader Vic's is Februaury 16. There are a couple of private parties before then.

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 9:28 AM

I look in the paper every day for news about TV and somehow I always miss it. Thanks again Hazmania!

** Return of Vic's

The resurrection of Trader Vic's is at hand. The owners of Hotel Palomar have restored the venerable Mockingbird Lane tiki emporium and are planning to open the doors to the public Feb. 16. But in the days leading up to the opening, they're having a couple of private shakedown luaus. Invited friends of operators Jeff "Lava Lamp" Berry, Kip "Coconut" Sowden and Rusty "Rat Fink" Fenton will serve as guinea pigs as the staff figures out how to properly place the pu pu platters. **

B

Hopefully, they're merely updating the site to reflect the Feb. 16th date.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies