Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking For Recipe for Swipe

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

A surfer lurker friend wanted me to see if anyone has ever came across a recipe for something called swipe. It almost sounds like it is a home brew of some sort made out of possibly pineapple.

He has come across it in the surfer journals and such.

Any help appreciated.

[ Edited by: tiki410 on 2005-06-28 13:00 ]

I found a quote from Keola Beamer:

13. Papa's ‘Okolehao
Tuning: Solo nylon string guitar in C Wahine "Keola's C"

Keola wrote this paean to Hawaiian homebrew for his grandfather, whom the family called Papa. "He made pineapple swipe," Keola says, "and would tie a jug full to his rocking chair so that every time he rocked, it swirled around and got a little tastier." The transcription can be found in KEOLA BEAMER TEACHES THE HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR. Sorry, it doesn't include a recipe, only the music!

I also found this image:

OK, working from the Keola Beamer quote I searched for ‘Okolehao & Pineapple, and found a court case about taxing Pineapple Wine, and from Pineapple Wine I found:

FRESH PINEAPPLE WINE
4 lbs ripe pineapple
2 lbs granulated sugar
7 pts water
1/2 tsp acid blend
1 crushed Campden tablet
½ tsp pectic enzyme
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
Bring water to boil and add sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Meanwhile, remove the topknot (leaves) and skin of the pineapple, capturing any juice produced in the process. Cut the flesh away from the core and chop the flesh into small pieces. Again, collect all juice liberated by the cutting. Put in nylon straining bag and tie closed. Put bag in primary and crush with a piece of hardwood or a potato masher. Pour boiling water over fruit, cover, and set aside to cool. When at room temperature, stir in crushed Campden tablet, recover and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme, tannin, acid blend, and yeast nutrient. Recover and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast and ferment 7 days, stirring twice daily. Remove nylon straining bag and allow to drip drain without squeezing. Discard pulp and continue fermenting until specific gravity falls to 1.025. Rack into secondary and fit airlock. After two weeks, rack, top up and refit airlock. Repeat this procedure every 30 days until wine clears and no new sediments form over 30-day period. Stabilize and sweeten to taste. Wait 10 days and, if stable, rack into bottles. Age 6 months to a year before tasting. [Recipe adapted from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

CANNED PINEAPPLE WINE
2 16-oz cans crushed pineapple
2 lbs granulated sugar
1 11.5 oz can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice frozen concentrate
7 pts water
1 tsp acid blend
1 crushed Campden tablet
½ tsp pectic enzyme
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
Drain juice from fruit and add juice to water. Stir sugar into water until dissolved. Pour pineapple into nylon straining bag and tie closed. Put bag in primary and add all ingredients except pectic enzyme and yeast. Stir well, cover primary, and set aside for 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast and ferment 5 days, stirring daily. Remove nylon straining bag and allow to drip drain without squeezing. Discard pulp and continue fermenting until specific gravity falls to 1.025. Rack into secondary and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize and sweeten to taste if desired. Wait 10 days and, if stable, rack into bottles. May taste after 6 months. [Recipe adapted from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

PINEAPPLE JUICE WINE
2 pts pineapple juice
2½ lbs granulated sugar
6 pts water
1 tsp acid blend
½ tsp pectic enzyme
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Chablis wine yeast
Dissolve sugar in water. Add remaining ingredients except yeast, stirring well. Cover primary and set aside 12 hours. Add activated yeast and ferment 7-10 days, stirring daily. When specific gravity falls to 1.010, rack into secondary and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 30 days until wine clears and no new sediments form over 30-day period. Stabilize and sweeten to taste if desired. Wait 10 days and, if stable, rack into bottles. May taste after 6 months. [Recipe adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z]

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-06-30 08:59 ]

Here's a quote from a website I found about swipe. The link for the page is below.

"The only way to get hold of liquor was to distil it oneself, James Jones recalled:
...'raisin jack' or... 'swipe', which was a Hawaian word for bootleg liquor... In my outfit we got blind drunk every chance we got... We made our 'swipe' by stealing a five-gallon tin of canned peaches or plums or pineapple from the nearest ration dump, and putting a double handful of sugar in it to help it ferment, then leaving it out in the sun in the jungle... It was the most awful stuff to drink, sickly sweet and smelling very raunchy, but if you could get enough of it down and keep it down, it carried a wonderful wallop.'
Another favorite for fermentation was coconut milk, and Australian troops in the Pacific also used this type of liquor, generally known as 'jungle juice', in large quantities. Sometimes even cruder methods were used. James Jones remembered a PX on Guadalcanal in which only two items were left for the front-line troops, Barbasol shaving cream and Aqua Velva aftershave. The Barbasol remained on the shelves, but the Aqua Velva went like hotcakes. 'Mixed with canned grapefruit juice... the shaving lotion did not taste at all. Grapefruit juice seemed to cut all the perfume out of it. It made a drink rather like a Tom Collins. Everyone loved it.' "(p.257-258)"
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:f7v8roZqs3YJ:www.wlhoward.com/id556.htm+pineapple+liquor+swipe&hl=en&start=3

Grapefruit and Aqua Velva? Sounds like this is a prime candidate for the "lamest drink" thread in Bilge.

T

Thanks for the information. As usual the TC community comes through.

This sounds very similar to something my dad said the sailors learned from the local pineapple workers when he was stationed in Hawaii, which was to cut off the top off a growing pineapple out in the field and let it ferment in the sun. Apparently packed quite a kick. They got busted for being out in the pineapple fields, doing that with the locals and the other things it led to ahem, because of the indelible red dirt stains on the knees of their whites.

On 2005-07-01 08:08, purple jade wrote:
They got busted for being out in the pineapple fields, doing that with the locals and the other things it led to ahem, because of the indelible red dirt stains on the knees of their whites.

Thank you for bringing that up Purple Jade. It was for this very reason I came up with my amazing idea to invent "Authentic Hawaiin Tiki Kneepads". I met a bunch of the sailors you are speaking of at a Twisted Sister/Y&T/ and Lita Ford concert to come up with a solution for their indelible red dirt stains on the knees of their whites. It is funny how my success has come full circle to this thread in the Food & Drinks section on Tiki Central. What I love most about Kneepads is all of the happy clients that don't have indelible red dirt stains on the knees of their whites. My advice to anybody with a great idea is this "Listen to Metal all the time, keep your feet on the ground, reach for the stars, and don't get scabs or your knees dirty"!!!!!!
Love,
kneepads

H

Ayyyyyyyyy

TR

I think I'll just mix pineapple juice with absolute and call it good but this is what i found for "Swipe"-

Follow These Simple Steps
Cut pineapple into chunks.
Add pineapple juice, coconut water, chunks into a pot .
Bring to a Boil.
Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Add Moonshine.
Mix well.
Separate into individual jars and seal.
Store in refrigerator for at least a 5-6 days .

Pages: 1 10 replies