Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Lushy at the Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver - Saturday, July 30th

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies

P

This sounds like fun :

Lushy is playing at the Waldorf Hotel's Tahitian Twilight Lounge (with the Buttersprites) on Saturday, July 30th !

Who's in ? Selector Lopaka and I are going to try to go.

The Tahitian Twilight Lounge (where Lushy is playing) is a separate room from the Polynesian Room. So the Polynesian Room may not be open or connected to this event, but it still sounds like fun. I'll try to find out more.

Here's their website for more details :

http://www.lushy.com/

[ Edited by: puamana on 2005-06-29 21:46 ]

D

oooOOOooo
Road Trip!
are you guys thinking 'bout staying at the Waldorf that night? ~ i looked at their website, but there are no pictures posted.. know anything about this place?

oh I would definitely be up for that!

(see my previous post in the "The Official NW Territory Event Mailing List" thread containing the following:
WALDORF! WALDORF! WALDORF!)

elicia, I know nothing about the hotel, but the area it's in isn't the greatest.

I would suggest we all head there together, wearing brightly coloured clothing to ward off the evils.

T

I have never heard Lushy, but just based on the venue, I suggest that anyone who can possibly make it to this gig do so. This place is one of the coolest rewmaining Tiki spots anywhere, and that fact that it is only open to the public a few times a year (at best) make any opportunity to go there a must-do.

Yeah!!.....I'm in too!!!
Events there are rare these days, it's well worth seeing the venue as well as the entertainment.
The Waldorf is in the middle of nowhere, nothing within walking disitance of it. I'm not sure about the hotel itself (maybe I'll go have a look if anyone's interested). I'd definitely suggest staying in or around the downtown area.

The Waldorf Hotel (1489 Hastings St.) is in or very near the Gastown area (International District and home to the early episodes of the X-Files TV show) of Vancouver, B.C. As far as the area, it is a somewhat seedy area, yes; but compared to the seedy areas of Seattle it's a day and a walk in the park.

I've not been to Vancouver in a long while, but I do recall many cheap motels and hotels near by in the Gastown area. And The Waldorf is still (as far as I know) in operation; and their prices reasonable.

The Tahitian Room (aka Tahitian Twilight Lounge) in the Waldorf is spectacular! In fact, I prefer it over the Menehune Mambo (Hut) Room and the Polynesian Room. This room may not possess the wall-sized Polynesian mural, but it is everybit -- if not more -- tropical and loung-ey. And the bar is incredible, as well as incredibly long!

I actually have a postcard of both the Tahitian Room and the Polynesian Room, circa 1950s:

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2jhwxcsXLgg

Enjoy!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2005-07-10 17:01 ]

P

We're definitely going ! Dogbytes, Tikiwahine, and Pepe le Tiki, hope to see you there, as well as other TC folks. Terence, that postcard of the Tahitian Room and Polynesian Room sounds great, please do post a photo. TikiHula has kindly supplied a place to upload TC photos to post... here's the link with more info :

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14544&forum=1&11

[ Edited by: puamana on 2005-06-30 21:52 ]

Thanks for the info, Puamana. I tried uploading my images of the Tahitian Room and Polynesian Room (per the instructions), but the uploading time seemed endless. I have dial-up (and free dial-up, at that!) and I have no problem uploading images to eBay, but to other sites (like this one) the uploading time takes far, far too long. Oh, well. I gave it a shot. Perhaps I'll find another way...

PLT

Hey folks! I happened upon this photo of the Tahitian Twilight Lounge (definitely my favorite of the three rooms). The pictures on the back wall are the 'Leeteg' velvet paintings.
Terence, I hope you can get your postcard up too!
As you can see, it's a treasure, need I say more....

Rumor has it that the Alberta Boys may be making a road trip to Vancouver. Details amongst Slacksferret, Sweettikidaddy, Tiki a mokinbird and my self are yet to be worked out. Hope to see you all there.
Any Vancity peeps got info on where to stay or should we all crash on the floor of Funhauser decor?

Great news rodeo!
The Blue Horizon is always a great place to stay,
and they often have deals on their web site.
If I see any I'll post them here.

I hope to see all you Alberta tiki folk in a few weeks!

PLT

Here's a few more Hotel/B&B's that are reasonably priced:
The Jolly Alderman B&B
http://www3.telus.net/jollytaxpayer
The Victorian Hotel
http://www.victorian-hotel.com
The Sylvia Hotel
http://www.sylviahotel.com
The Buchan Hotel
http://www.buchanhotel.com
This site has alot of the independent hotels listed:
http://englishbay.com/lodging
Also check Expedia or http://www.hotels.ca for deals.

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2005-07-07 17:13 ]

D

ack! too many choices! where are you guys staying?

W

The Sylvia is great if you can get in. It's not fancy, it's an old residential hotel right across from English Bay. Rooms are large, especially the "type 08" rooms which are suite sized and have a seperate bedroom with another bed (making for three double beds). (Some of the other rooms may have this setup as well, just not the large main room.) You have to ask for the "type 08". It's been several years since I was there, so maybe things have changed.

Pay for parking, the area is packed with apartments and hotels so there's little street parking. And just about everyone I know who has been to Vancouver has had there car broken into or stripped at one time. (Including my stuff from a locked trunk in a friend's car...They bent the back seat down and pulled stuff through the frame from the trunk.). Be cautious. The police are pretty understanding of the thieves, signs in Stanley Park read "...Car Thieves Work Here..." WORK! See, it's there job, so what yah gonna do?

woofmutt,
That mean you're coming up for the show?!

Sounds like a great opportunity to smuggle back some Havana Club Rum! Anyone here have a hollow leg I can fill up?

PLT

This hotel is no so bad either, the location is good. It's your basic chain hotel.
They're advertising a 'hot deal' for Vancouver ($139/night) that includes parking.
http://www.sandmanhotels.com/hotels/bc/vancouver.asp

AND the Sandman is super close to Funhauser & Chinatown!

I didn't know that was a Sandman.
When I went to school at VCC(1997-'98) I walked past the Shark Club many times and never even noticed the hotel. Guess I had other stuff on the mind. ha.

Unless I get a room mate, or hear that others will be staying at the Blue Horizon, I'll do the Sandman. I plan on getting some mugs n stuff from Funhauser, so less distance to cart them around is always better.

Also, a sky train station is right beside GM place, for other adventures. There is also a Pacific Coach Lines(PCL) bus stop right close to there, for people that might be flying in(Our Alberta Brethren)

Thanks Pepe!

-Tw

I still think we should have a big slumber party at Funhauser...

Then again a store full of mugs and rum filled TC'ers may not mix to well.

P

Here's some pics of the Waldorf from 2003 (when Lushy played there for a New Year's Show), you can get the idea of what the Tahitian Lounge is like :

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAOHDJmxaOWbEKg

Thank you to Bella from Lushy for sharing these photos !

On 2005-07-08 10:22, Tikiwahine wrote:
Also, a sky train station is right beside GM place, for other adventures. There is also a Pacific Coach Lines(PCL) bus stop right close to there, for people that might be flying in (Our Alberta Brethren)

Actually, we're talking about driving. Tiki road trip!

E

....Unless I get a room mate, or hear that others will be staying at the Blue Horizon...

OHMIGOD! The Blue Horizon! We stayed there when I was a kid and just this past May I was sleuthing the internet trying to find it. I want to stay there again soooo bad!!

Then last month I found an old Blue Horizon postcard in the basement and I about screamed (it doesn't take much to excite me).

If I can find a ride out of Olympia or Seattle with someone I would consider going and room with you Tikiwahine...(if you'll have me!)

I'm going to go see if I can find some old pics and that postcard and let you guys see them... back later.

Ok... i found one photo so far. This is Aunt Emma and me on the balcony. I scanned the photo against the wild dress she was actually wearing since I own it (I think this was the summer of 1970). I wonder if those buildings in the background are still there and if I could figure out which room we had by the photo...

The Blue Horizon was so cool as a kid...so high up (or so it seemed) and they had a pool!

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2005-07-08 23:48 ]

D

On 2005-07-08 22:45, Exoticat wrote:
If I can find a ride out of Olympia or Seattle with someone I would consider going and room with you Tikiwahine...(if you'll have me

Todd and i plan on leaving Seattle, on Saturday ~ staying overnight~ and come home on Sunday. you're welcome to ride with us!

(we're nonsmoking, fairly fun, and definitely not serial killers) message me an we'll work out details!

elicia

"That mean you're coming up for the show?" -Tikiwahine

Unlikely. For reasons of national security I'm required to stay on American soil during the next 6 months. I would tell you more, but if I did there is a very delicious fudge recipe that could be compromised.

Finally got the photos online. These are scans of postcards from the 1950s of The Polynesian Room and Tahitian Room at the Waldorf Hotel in Vancouver, B.C.

Enjoy!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2jhwxcsXLgg

Thanks to everyone who posted photos and links pertaining to this event. Funhauser sure looks like a good time and a must see!!

Dogbytes and Tikiwahine...got your messages and will be in touch with you very soon.

I finally got a chance to scan my Blue Horizon postcard. Actual postcard size is 3.5 x 5.5" but I scanned it a little bit bigger to show more details. My brother claims the year was 1968.

I will stay wherever everyone wants...if I just see the Blue Horizon in person again I'll be satisfied. Maybe shoot some digitals of it.

I hope they still make Macintosh toffee in Canada because I'm going to load up dogbytes vehicle with it (like a supply good for the next 10 years?!?). :wink:

Where's Travellin' Tiki...she needs to know about this party...

Hmmm if this is a tiki road trip i just might have to bring my video camera and do a little bit of filming. Monkeyskull can only ban my camera at HIS house.

As far as I know they still make Macintosh's toffee, but I haven't had any since I was a kid. That stuff is excellent for removing loose fillings (and even ones that aren't all that loose).

holysmokes. i reserved a room at the blue horizon. it was 225 ! cripes! ~ evidently july 30 starts the week of some sorta canadian celebration.. so our "deluxe" room has the 'fireworks view".. geez, i bet we wont even be there during the display!

ah well.. i'l keep trying back to see if a cheaper room opens up.

e

Dogbytes, you may still want to consider the Sandman where Tikiwahine is staying. I think you'll have to call them directly but it may save you $100!
http://www.sandmanhotels.com/hotels/bc/vancouver.asp
It's a crazy night in Vancouver: A long weekend, the annual Symphony of Fire (fireworks) event, Gay Pride Weekend and the height of tourist season so hotels may be near capacity. Book asap folks!!

Also, I'm thinking we should all go to Raglan's Surf/Tiki Bistro for dinner & drinks before. It's in North Vancouver (20 minutes by Seabus from downtown) and a short walk from the Sea Bus station. I checked it out and it's very casual they offer burgers, burritos, appetizers, etc. and more importantly drink specials!!!
Could be a great start to the evening!
I'll make reservations at Raglan's when I get an idea who's interested (just post it here or PM me) and I'll figure out a timeline for the evening (so we get maximum enjoyment at the Waldorf).
(Pepe le Tour Guide)

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2005-07-12 16:38 ]

I'm all booked up at the Sandman, I wanted to take advantage of their special rate and not be denied a room. I'm just booked for one night at the moment, but that could change.

The Blue Horizon is wonderful, and induced a tiki dream this past spring where I saw this bowl.

Pepe, that sounds perfect. I'll be there with bamboo on.

-Tw

D

ok.. rebooked into the Sandman.

wow, lotsa stuff going on in town that weekend! gotta love the northwest, its nonstop fun when the sun comes out!

elicia

E

Booked at the Sandman as well. Couldn't get the special rate via the internet (code wouldn't apply) so called them directly and she gave it to me.

I once saw a show on tv where they said if you want your best rates on rooms you need to call and ask them what's currently going on and ask them when you check in if there's any upgrades available. Sometimes for a few bucks more you get a lot more bang. (That just sounds wrong, but you know what I mean!!)

E

Sign me up for the Pepe Le Tiki Vancouver Tour! (as long as it works with the schedule of my roadtrip friends as well)

I've booked rooms on behalf of the Alberta contingent at the Sandman. Count me in for Raglans - the seabus is definitely the best way to get there. I'm sure the others will want to go too, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

E

I heard a rumour that the infamous "Alberta Boys" are all getting ONE room at
The Sandman and that they need a Housemom to supervise them?

Sure they look innocent enough now while they're getting warmed up:

But look how they get later:

I'm guessing that the really good photos didn't even get uploaded!

I'll pass on the job.

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2005-07-12 20:09 ]

E

Ok, I can't find a pic of Pepe le Tiki...does one exist? I tried sleuthing around but only ended up in places like BILGE and wasted more time posting more stupid posts (albeit FUN stupid posts!).

A recent photo of Pepe le Tiki:
"You break it, you buy it....now has anyone seen Karen Black?!!!"

Oh man , now I am scared to come to funhauser. Pepe sounded so nice on the phone.

Lies! All lies!
I've seen you in person, and you're not nearly as cranky as that picture lets on to be.

Now where's Travellin' Tiki? Roadkutter? Fartsatune? Velvet Ruby? Emspace? Doctor Tiki?
Who's with us?!

-Tw

I'm in for Raglans too!

Never fear Roadkutter is here... finally! Just moved my business and haven't had time to scratch myself let alone check in on what's going on.

O.K. for all those outta towners the area around the Waldorf is FINE... just don't go West on foot, then you'll run into the lower east side which isn't the nicest part of town. Just East a few blocks is Commercial Drive where there are great places for brunch, lunch and dinner. Be warned though, carry a gas mask and soap to help form a protective barrier from the hippies.

Also on or around the drive are Vintage stores, Value Village (which I plan to pick over before you all arrive), Antiques and shops with nic-nacks, it's quite a cool area.

Sounds like Pepe le Tiki has also set down some good advice/suggestions and it looks like there are alot of other events for people to check out while in Van. A word of advice... avoid the Festival of Fire... it's a fireworks competition held down at English Bay, it gets crazy busy, anywhere around 250,000 people turnout for this. It's great seeing people turn up from the burbs to get drunk, fight and throw their rubbish where they like.

Pretty sure I'm gonna make to this event for a while at least as I'm on labour duty... if the wife calls I'm outta there! I'll also contact Velvet Ruby, she just moved back to Van so I have to get her number from a friend.

Pep... STOCK THE SHELVES that weekend is pay weekend!

Almost forgot, Coolite Bamboo Products (http://www.coolitebamboo.com) is just down the street from the Waldorf. So if anyone is looking for bamboo materials/products that is the place to go. They have everything you would ever need, apart from Tikis.

Thanks for the tips Roadkutter.

Pepe...I have a photo of me first thing in the morning too:

The first time I met some TC people I didn't know any of them so looked up their photos beforehand. I found that this actually did help the getting-to-know-you process so that's why I was looking people up. For some reason I thought Tikiwahine was a blond before I found her photo...I was wrong. Pepe I'll find you by the process of deduction that night...eventually. :)

Pep, count me and the misses in for Raglans. What a trooper, she'll be 8 and a half months pregnant and wants in on the action!

Virgin Mai Tai's all round! Opps what am I say, a virgin Mai Tai for the Misses!

She wants to race home and make a Moo Moo right now. :wink:

Yay! something is happening HERE for a change! haha! I actually live about a 5 minute walk from the waldorf.. cough cough.. not a major selling point of this apartment at ALL.. nope nope.. :wink: The funny thing is that I tried to go to this show about two weeks ago (I was that eager..) and obviously messed up the dates. The entrance to the room it's in is off the lower parking lot (on the left if you're facing the hotel)
looking forward to meeting everyone in person!

J

"Someone put the Whammy in the Gizmo and look what happened!" ~ Piano Slim

[ Edited by: Velvet Ruby 2005-07-14 18:15 ]

ps.. if you don't want to make the trek to north van, there's The Reef on Main st.

(caribbean food $10-15 entree range)

http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/

also Typhoon at main and broadway is pretty good I've heard..
or this place I've never tried just off commercial which is very near the waldorf

(brazilian food - inexpensive cafe style place)
http://www.foodvancouver.com/restaurant-review.php?restaurant=82

The Reef!
We have one a block from my work, their food is fantastic!

Hasn't seemed to have caught on over here yet, it's always very quiet.

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies