Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Your first concert: Who, Where, When.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

T

On 2005-07-12 18:56, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
The Music Machine, Yellow Balloon and The Nitty Gritty Dirtband, 1967 at some theater in Anaheim, CA (I think it was called Melodyland...round stage in the middle that rotated).

I bow down in reverence. I can't believe you got to see the Music Machine in '67, you lucky dog! I was born too late! I saw Sean Bonniwell last year at the Wild Weekend. Damn it was awful.

The 5th Dimension was my 1st rock? concert. It must have been in the mid 70's. I liked it because they had a light show and I knew the song "Age of Aquarius". The 1st concert I snuck to was one in Harrisonburg, VA in 1980. Def Leppard just came out with High & Dry and they were sandwiched between Blackfoot and Johnny Van Zant. I think my friend and me were the only ones at the show to see Def Leppard so we got to meet the entire band after they played. The drummer,Rick Allen, had both arms and the original lead guitarist, Pete Willis, was still in the band. They gave us signed posters and albums and swigged some Jim Beam with the band. We were teenagers and thought this was like meeting royalty.

XTC, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, and Jools Holland & His Millionaires at the Palladium Theater in NYC. This was on XTX's last full tour promoting the "Black Sea" LP, Joan Jett was still selling "Joan Jett & the Blackhearts," and Jools was waiting for "Later" to become a reality.

My first concert was Blink 182. It was cool but too loud. My ears were ringing afterward. People were nice except for all the rough people who were just pushing everyone. Other than that I liked it alot.

D

On 2005-07-13 11:34, tikinoobie wrote:
My first concert was Blink 182. It was cool but too loud. My ears were ringing afterward. People were nice except for all the rough people who were just pushing everyone. Other than that I liked it alot.

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh at that. Nothing personal to you noobie. Unless maybe this is a joke? Seriously though..nothing personal against you.

I must admit that moshing has become completely ridiculous. It used to be that that sort of thing would only happen at underground metal or punk shows. Now people mosh at Dasboard Confessional concerts. What's up with that? As far as the loudness. I wear ear-plugs to all shows. Back in the day when I didn't it was ok, but one of the times I saw Van Halen in the 80s it had to be, even to this day one of the loudest shows I've ever been to. I've been to lound ones and that was in the top five. My ears suffered for days after that. Kinda scary but all was cool in the end. Speaking of which, I don' t how these rock star lifers like Townshend, Eddie Van Halen, etc. handle that shit night after night. I know Towshend is on record as having bad hearing, but I wonder about the other guys.

We usually go to the concerts in the parks, they had some in Fullerton and in Cypress(I think) and some other places and they were not as loud as the inside concert. I think because we were at the inside one longer also. It was cool though. The pushing and shoving was not what I expected, we just stayed away from that, but it was hard to ignore most of the time. I would definitely go again, but just sit further away next time.

On 2005-07-13 13:23, donhonyc wrote:

I saw Van Halen in the 80s it had to be, even to this day one of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

I totally agree, Van Halen, was crazy loud, even the rafters rocked. I was at the Ramones show in the early 80's and on the floor half the people pogoed and the other half moshed. Soon it was just a mess. Today I hang in the rafter haze.

S

Holy Crap Posh Boy ! I was reading this thread thinking back to how my first concert was the Fifth Dimension and then I read your post. Mine was at the University of Georgia Basketball Arena and I must have been around 13 or 14 ?

1980, The B-52's at PNE Gardens Auditorium in Vancouver. I still have my t-shirt.

P

First on I went to is Johnny Cash at age 6.

First one I remember is
Edwin Hawkins Singers
"Oh Happy Day" tour
Curtis Hixson Hall (now a park)
I was 8.

this will show my age...first concert...the Dave Clark
Five with Sandey Posey and the gentrys....Madison wis
in 1964....and the last....Antibalas (if you guys aren't
aware of these guys....get aware!....last fall in
Madison....Antibalas is a fabulous afro-beat groove
band that works very well in a tiki atmosphere...
buy "Who Is This America?"

S

First show- Oingo Boingo at the Hollywood Palladium

Next couple shows- tagging along with my older sister: Prince and the Revolution-Purple rain tour, and Madonna like a virgin tour with Beastie Boys opening.

Notable shows I am glad I made it to:
Pink Floyd
Sonic Youth-multiple shows, but favorite was with George Clinton and the P-Funk all stars
rage against the machine-about 10 times, best show in tijuana at Iguanas
Nirvana
Sublime- from backyard parties to clubs
U2
Ramones

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.