Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Your first concert: Who, Where, When.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

A

First ever was The Eagles. I was 6, my brother was babysitting and thought taking me along would be a great way to meet girls.

The first concert I saw as an adult was the Cars and Wang Chung sometime in the '80's. That would probably qualify as the worst concert I ever saw too. Wang Chung was off key and Rick Ocasek was too drunk to finish the set!

D

On 2008-06-30 20:44, ahvyna wrote:
First ever was The Eagles. I was 6, my brother was babysitting and thought taking me along would be a great way to meet girls.

The first concert I saw as an adult was the Cars and Wang Chung sometime in the '80's. That would probably qualify as the worst concert I ever saw too. Wang Chung was off key and Rick Ocasek was too drunk to finish the set!

I saw that tour as well with The Cars and Wang Chung. My memories of it are a little bit better though since I was already a huge Cars fan at that time. Not crazy about Wang Chung though. I saw them at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium summer of '84 in Queens a few years before I actually moved to NYC. All I can remember is that we had really good seats in front. The Cars came out with 'Hello Again' and then about two-thirds into the show it started to thunder and lightning with a little bit of rain. The show went on. A few years ago before CBGB closed I saw Ric Ocasek perform. I was backstage after the gig and met him. I told him that I saw the show in '84 in Queens and he said "oh yeah! that was the night I got shocked". I don't remember that part. (have I told that story on TC before? Hope not). Also that same week I saw The Psychedelic Furs with Talk Talk on Pier 84 when they used to have shows there.

(edit of double post)

[ Edited by: blindy the pirate 2008-07-06 14:27 ]

My first concert was the 2nd Lollapolooza. Red Hot Chili Peppers was the headliner. Pearl Jam was the second band to go on, which was kinda funny. It was the summer that they blew up, and by the end of the tour, they were the biggest band in the world.

I got three tickets for it and had one of my friends back out, so my Dad went. It worked out pretty good, he held our stuff when we went to the mud pit in front of the stage. He spent most of his time at the second stage watching stuff like The Jim Rose Sideshow.

It was on the Sunday before my freshman year of high school. The tour shirt was about a school uniform that first day. On the plus side, all that mud cleared up my face and I went to school acne free that first day.

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show about 1974. Dr Hook and the boys appearently made a side trip to Mexico 15 miles away before the show for a little "Special Medicine". They were stoned to the bejesus belt during the concert, smashing guitars and amps on stage and having a grand old time. They didn't need any stage lights because the glow from ten thousand doobies in the stands kept the place well illuminated.

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 6:14 PM

First concert: Cheap Trick at Philadelphia Spectrum, 1980
Most recent: They Might Be Giants at House of Blues, Dallas, 2008
Loudest: Van Halen, 1981. My hearing in my left ear was never the same.
Coolest show: B-52's & The Ramones at the Philadelphia Zoo, 1983.
Worst Show: The Cure, 1986. They SUCKED!

My parents took us to see the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and opera growing up. I still like classical music.

My first non-cultural concert was the Exploited at the Theater Gallery in Dallas. That was in 1988.

I thought for sure I had posted in this thread before.

1st concert was Jan and Dean at the OC fairgrounds in 82 with my parents.
1st concert without parents was George Thouroughgood , and Joe Walsh in 86 at
Irvine Meadows.

after that till 96 was a bunch of metal shows at clubs and big venues.

Then I saw the Insect Surfers at the Doll Hut in Anaheim.
Now I only go to see surf bands at small clubs.
though I did see the Brian Setzer x-mas show at the Gibson ampitherater at Universal studios this past x-mas.

Jeff(btd)

1st concert - Journey, "Escape Tour" December 1981 Cow Palace (with my brother and parents). Loverboy opened up.
1st punk rock concert - Exploited/Dag Nasty/D.R.I./Dr. Know, 1987
Band seen the most times in concert - Dr. Know. I swear Dr. Know was on every single punk rock bill I saw between 1987-90.
1st concert (playing in a band) - 6/2/89 Davis Community Theater (other bands on bill - Kamala and the Karnivores, Sweet Children (Green Day))
Favorite concert from past 2 years - Teenage Fanclub, Great American Music Hall, Oct. 2010

[ Edited by: markmywords 2013-01-23 15:25 ]

8T

First show:

Latest show:

See a pattern here? Of course I've seen many other concerts in between but what was cool about both of these is that I took my daughter to see this last one which means her first live concert band was the same as mine, just 35 years later. :)
Yeah,for us it's a local band but KANSAS still is an awesome group to see live.

I once was lost.....but now I'm found.....

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2013-01-29 15:00 ]

First concert I saw , my parents dragged me to see Louis Armstrong
play at Disneyland in 1963/64? hey I was just a kid.

Then the 1974 Worlds fair in Spokane to see Sly & The Family Stone
after that just about any concert worth going to in Calif, I was there.

Every show at the Cuckoo's Nest, I used to bug "Jerry Roach" to book punk shows there
when he only had spandex bands nightly, he used to say "no money in it"
I played in several bands with regular gigs at the "Nest" in the late 70s and later
when it was the Concert Factory in the 80s.

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Jan 30, 2013 3:07 PM

1st concert

November 19, 1979
Kiss
Dynasty Tour
Pacific Coliseum Vancouver
Last tour of the original lineup until 1996

seen them again
September 2, 1996
Alive/Worldwide Tour
General Motors Place Vancouver
first tour of the original lineup since 1979

The day after my wedding a friend and I took off to Vancouver for this show.

[ Edited by: Dagg 2013-01-30 15:17 ]

OK, you asked!
Sha Na Na
Providence Civic Center
Sold Out!
Dr. Hook opened for them.
Hey! I was only 13!

AF

Eric Clapton, Long Beach Arena, Saturday July 20, 1974.
Special guests that night were John Mayall & Keith Moon!

Bruce Springsteen, March 2 1977 at the Atlanta Civic Center. Fell asleep during "Blinded by the Light," but woke up when his new album material began: "Born to Run."

D

The Yardbirds, Tucson, 1966 or 1967. It's a bit hazy.

The WHO
San Diego JMS
1982 I think

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies