Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies

Thanks Rodeo!
It felt so good to finally get it done.

I have quite a few mugs and hawaiiana that need new homes. I wanted to get things organized so I can figure out what can stay, and what can go.

After trying to use some tiny chisels on a 3/4" dowel with no mallet or anything to secure the wood, my appreciation for carvers has grown in leaps and bounds. Switching to the dremel wasn't exactly easier, just faster. Mistakes are made faster as well. I didn't chuck anything, but a couple of the pegs have a sort of faux tapa thing at the top which is best viewed from a far :wink:.

Looks great Tikiwahine!

I especially like how the mugs are lined up to flow like a wave from side to side. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go along.

D

very nice TW! and the album idea is fantastic! ditto what Jim said about the wave of mugs.. nice flow..

hurry with that ceiling treatment! (meaning, get your butts down to seattle to pick up the materials soon!)

B

Nice job on that shelf and by the looks of the brackets, you could put cement tikis up there and nothing would fall. Nice wave too.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 11, 2005 5:21 PM

Hey wahine - cool set of shelves! I didnt notice the 'wave' until Benz pointed it out - nice touch. Sweet

Thanks for the kind words Jim, Elicia, Ben and Hewey!

I have to admit the height veriation wasn't my own idea, I saw it here on TC and thought it was a great way to organize them, without getting too specific.

FA

So when can you come to my house and put up a couple? :)
Awesome job you two did!

Thanks Ape!
And congrats on your 100th post!

Looks great TW!! You're definitely going to need a couple more shelves judging from your collection in the photo (not to mention future additions)!!

I'm building a new computer desk. DrunkenMunky and I have to share it, so it's huge! 7 feet long, and almost as high as my mug shelf.

I stained all the birch ply panels, and the both of us screwed it together. Tonight I've put the first coat of varnish on it. I thought I'd take a picture before I go any further with it.

It's going to be trimmed in bamboo, and a few more tiki type touches, that I'm not quite sure of yet. I'm hoping that my tiki ohana can assist me in deciding how to make this desk extra zazz.

We're also adding two bamboo legs in the middle, and I have a giant(3.5') fork and spoon set I'm sacrificing to use as shelf supports.

I'll post more pictures as the progression continues. The next project will be our home bar, I figured this would be good practice working with wood & bamboo.

A Naughty Little Wiggle

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-27 15:05 ]

Damn thats a big desk. I am glad to read that your adding some supports, the last thing you would want is for it to sag over time. The color of stain is great.

Thanks rodeo! It's 'Ipswitch Pine' from Canadian Tire.

The Birch has a really nice butterscotch grain, much like Koa. Very pretty! It would be a shame to cover it with woven bamboo

T

On 2005-10-11 14:40, JimTandem wrote:
Looks great Tikiwahine!

I especially like how the mugs are lined up to flow like a wave from side to side. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go along.

Yeah! A WAVE! That's cool. Nice job. Now get to work on the rest of them!

Desk build step 2!

Some of the bamboo trim has been added, legs, and it's secured to the wall.

The bamboo in each inside corner is removable and will serve as a wireway.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2008-05-14 23:56 ]

T

That looks great! I just saw a throw rug at sears that was made of bamboo slats. You could use that on the walls. Or go to an art store and get some cool paper. Looks good.

We have big plans for this room, skip! Tonight the desk gets more trim.

At the end of the month we're picking up enough woven bamboo matting to do the entire 19' X 20' vaulted ceiling. It will also be trimmed with the same bamboo.

This project is the precursor to the Huki Lounge Bar build, which should be a snap after dealing with the desk.

The green will eventually be covered with something, be it tapa, grasscloth, bamboo, woven stuff, we're not sure yet. We may cover the side of the desk too.

For now, we will do the ceiling and replace all trim with bamboo, starting with that ghastly strip of pink along the baseboard. The entire 400 square foot room used to be pink. Run Away!

J

Sounds like big plans. Post lots of pics. I hope to do this myself someday. I wish my desk at work would look like that.
JP

Will do JP!

Plenty 'o pics will be added along the way, I know I appreciate and look forward to other people's.

It's one of the things I most look forward to on my daily TC visits - especially room and bar builds.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-03-06 14:49 ]

B

Cool, Huge desk TW. Looks like one I built for my son and his wife, 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. I love your Bamboo so far. I would paint large Lono and Ku's on the ends I think, but it is one of those projects that will evolve over the next year and will look so different then from now. Nice job. I think I need one about like that.

Excellent idea Ben!
My painting skills are no where near good enough to grace this beast of a desk, but maybe I'll get brave and give it a go.

Right this second I'm getting visions of back-lit Moaisaic or LonoLamp made with translucent plastic acetate - backed with a frosted piece of flexible fiberglass curved into a half circle. I may have to give that a go. Sounds like more of a sconce project.

Mount lauhala inside the back and brush on a clear coat to keep dust at bay.

Rock ON Wahine.

The desk is looking cool Tikiwahine! Thanks for the pic updates, its hard sometimes to remember to take em cause you just keep plugging along while you work.

If you are sharing that desk, you are probably going to have a lot of wires and cords coming from the bottom. Have you thought about making a floating screen that will hide all the wiring? It could go just behind your middle bamboo support and a few inches off the wall. If you use tapa type cloth you could make like a bamboo scroll that hangs down from a couple of small eye hooks. Then when you need to get to the outlets just lift it up. Or even easier would be to get a couple of cheap bamboo beaded screens that you hang in doorways, cut em down, and hang back under there just in front of the wires.

Your hard work is paying off as your room comes to life!

Great idea with the lauhala matting Monk, and you know I love dust-less creases!
Thanks!

Hey jim, I did think of that! What we're going to do is have the main power supply on the upper shelf, housed in a hinged box. The box will also serve as a riser for whatever tiki stuff I'd like to display. If there are any wires showing, it would be only one cord going to the outlet. I may use bamboo to hide it as well.

The very top of the desk is more space for me to display my collection. An extension of the mug shelf, if you will. It will probably be dual-tiered, but I won't get that that 'till the desk is done.

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 6:52 PM

having that desk would make work almost fun and worthwhile, maybe to the point of staying after 5 :)

[ Edited by: john 2006-03-07 18:52 ]

My Living room tiki build has begun!

This past weekend we painted the walls and laid a brand spanking new hardwood floor. Next the ceiling will be wired for many hanging lamps on a dimmer switch, then the bamboo matting will go on the ceiling, and bamboo will trim everything. Enough chit-chat, here are some photos!

Desk View - Before, with Brian who's here to help paint.

TV view - Before. The shelves are empty and the furniture is ready to be moved into the diningroom.

Patio Door View - Before

Three coats of paint make for good coverage and a smooth texture.

The first row of flooring goes down using deck screws.

The boys get to work laying the flooring.

The floor has been half laid.

Desk View - the floor is done and now the desk, trim, shelving & furniture has to be moved back in.

Hardwood floor in Exotic Longstrip Cherry. Note the character, lots of variation. Sweeeet. Reminds me of bamboo flooring a bit, with those thin strips.

Future Bar Area View - note the bamboo matting that will be mounted to the ceiling, but not until I stain it the same colour as the desk. Also, wiring must first be installed in the ceiling, enough to handle at least 12 hanging lamps.

Desk View - The desk is back in, but still in need of more bamboo trim and the computers still need to be moved back in.

TV View - The baseboard trim, shelves and some furniture is back in. The speakers have been mounted with bamboo trim to hide the wiring.

A Naughty Little Wiggle

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-27 15:11 ]

P

Looking good. I love green.

I can already taste the Absinthe. :wink:

I was talking with the Amber Love Goddess this weekend and asked her where we'd like to end up and number one on her list was Victoria.

So... you may have some new Tiki Neighbors in a decade or so.
That cherry floor should be wearing in just about right by then.

Thanks Pablus,

Unfortunately, it was green, and is now the more tiki friendly brown. I've always called it The Green Room. When the ceiling is covered in matting, lamps & bamboo, I'm not sure what I'll call it!

L
Loki posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 11:58 AM

Great job TW. I dig the flooring. It really changes a room. This is gonna be great to watch. I'm sure your about over it already. It sure makes life a mess for a few days while transforming and usually makes the animals go nuts too. Hang in there and please post pics and techniques of projects. We all can learn from watching.

Thanks Loki! It's really fun finally being able to change a room to what you've been dreaming of. It's a lot of work, but well worth it when you can sit down and relax in a space you're happy with.

A

Nice!!! I am fully stealing your idea of using the bamboo to hide speaker wires. My roomate slapped our surround-sound speakers up on the walls, and I've been trying to think of some way to cover the wires!

nicely done! It's amazing how a new floor and some paint can TOTALLY transform a room. Now you have you rblank slate for the tiki bar/room...this is where the fun REALLY begins

thanks for the update and I'm looking forward to seeing the room come alive! and to see some of those 12 hanging lamps you've been talking about. sounds cool!

Looking good so-far Tikiwahine can't wait to see more!!! Thanks for sharing pic's.
Later,
Spermy

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 7:48 PM

Cool pics wahine - waiting for more!

On 2006-05-16 11:42, pablus wrote:
I was talking with the Amber Love Goddess this weekend and asked her where we'd like to end up and number one on her list was Victoria.

So... you may have some new Tiki Neighbors in a decade or so.
That cherry floor should be wearing in just about right by then.

That's great news Pablus! Victoria is a wonderful place to live, we've always got an open door and Absinth waiting for you.

M

Alright then. TW this is very inspiring for those that can't have it outside all yr long. I have to ask (tis me nature) where's the Bar? lol

Keep posting pics......we love em.

Mahaloz

Hey McTiki!

No bar...yet though it is in the plans. First a huge built-in wall cabinet/entertainment unit needs to be created, then I get to built the bar. I already have plans for a surfboard glass rack suspended above the bar, and I've been experimenting with two part resin for the actual bar top.

M

Whoa! Wish I had the headroom for a surfboard glass rack. Could barely fit a 2 footer in there as it is lol. Lookin good. At least you won't sweat gallons building it over the summer months! Looks like your havin fun. Get back to work girl.

Mc

Oh ya, I'm still looking for an old board to paint.
If anyone has one that's past it's prime they'd like to donate I can definitely give it a good home!

M

And free drinks for life?

But of course!
Free Drinks for Life plus a place to crash overnight
(cuz after my drinks you're gonna need it :wink:)

M

Lookie! (not mine) just ideas....

E-bay Link #1

E-bay Link #2

E-bay Link #3

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten overly long links - 2006-05-17 12:45 ]

Wow, those are cheap!
Thanks McTiki, if I can't find a cheap/free authentic board, I might just go that route. Plus, Washington is just across the water from me.

Aloha! We've just finished the next step in the tiki room transformation - the all important ceiling!

Here you can see the brand new fan, installed by DrunkenMunky. He installed the first two sheets of bamboo matting yesterday.

He does my heavy grunt work, but I stained each sheet myself. It took 15 4'X8' sheets to do the whole ceiling, I stained all 20 of them which took me three days to do out in the backyard. They had to be brought in at night, so finding spots for them was a bit of a challenge.

Here's the ceiling completely covered. The next major step will be to create a large carved beam running the ridge of the ceiling, and lots of bamboo trim of course. I have many lamps that will be hung and plugged into each of the 12 sockets we now have up there, I'll post some pictures when I get the hooks put in and a few lamps hung. The sockets are hooked up to two dimmer switches for that dark ambiance tiki rooms require.

*Also note the sweeeet Rodeo Tiki mask that's been placed at a position of authori-tay

I hope ya like what we've done so far!
If you have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to ask.
Mahalo!

One Sway at a Time

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-27 15:12 ]

R

sooooo amazing !!! you should be so happy happy!!!

M

great job so far.....

Keep it up.

I AM so excited rodeo!
I didn't think we'd get it all done before Jeff had to leave(this morning at 6am). He was determined though! What a good hubby, to go along with my wacky tiki dreams.

Thanks Monk! Your post about installing lots of matting was of great inspiration to me. You and your wife did such a beautiful job!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 3, 2006 12:16 AM

Thats looking great! Cant wait to see more.

Thanks Hewey!
I just bought another lamp yesterday, and am hoping to hang some soon.

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies