Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies

H

To set the proper mood for this post, I suggest playing Pablus' "My Mug Collection" while you're reading.

It is with great excitement that I introduce Ooga-Mooga, a new website dedicated to letting you show off your fantastic mug collections.

Setting up your mug collection in Ooga-Mooga is easy:

1. Choose a mug you have from the list of pre-defined mugs
  2. Click the "Add this mug to my Collection" link
  3. Press the "Add This Mug to My Collection" button to confirm

And there it is in your collection! Now you can enter in a little information about your mug -- where you got it, what condition it's in, upload a few photos of it -- and before you know it you've got a lovely showcase of your beautiful mug collection.

Here's my collection:
Humuhumu's Mug Collection

Ooga-Mooga lets you do all sorts of stuff:

• Keep a wish-list of your favorite must-have mugs
  • Identify mystery mugs
  • Shop for mugs for sale and trade by other Ooga-Mooga members
  • List your eBay mug auctions on Ooga-Mooga (with up-to-date auction info direct from eBay!)
  • Share a link that goes directly to your own collection
  • Track the estimated value of your collection
  • Learn what size drink fits well in each mug
  • Compare your mug to the mugs in other collections
  • See how much a particular mug is going for
  • Keep your mugs private, if you're shy about your collection

Your user name on Ooga-Mooga is the same as your user name here on Tiki Central, but the password system is separate. When you create your Ooga-Mooga account, it will send you a PM here on TC with a link to confirm that it really is you. Then you're ready to go! A link to your mug collection will appear below your name on your posts on Tiki Central.

You'll start out with a Free Trial account. That lets you keep information on up to 10 mugs.

If you like Ooga-Mooga (and boy I hope you do!), you can sign up for a full account, with either Standard status or Trader status:

Standard:

• No limit to the number of mugs in your collection
  • Use Favorites to keep a wish list of mugs
  • $3.95 per month*

Trader:

• Full access to Ooga-Mooga
  • No limit to the number of mugs in your collection
  • Use Favorites to keep a wish list of mugs
  • List mugs available for trade in the Mugs for Trade section
  • Advertise your eBay mug auction in the Mugs for Sale section
  • Use Ooga-Mooga to store photos of mugs you're selling
  • $5.95 per month*

For a limited time, when you sign up with a Trader account, your first six months are only $3.95, the same price as a Standard account!

• These are introductory rates. If you subscribe to a Standard or Trader account before August 31, 2005, you won't be subject to any rate increases for 2 years!

http://www.ooga-mooga.com

Hanford's taking me out to the Sunday Exotica night at the Lucky Tiki celebrate the launch of Ooga-Mooga -- come out and join us if you can!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2007-05-29 21:04 ]

TM

Awesome H2! The site looks great! If you need images of stuff you don't have, let me know, I'll be glad to fill in the gaps (if I can). Looks like your big images are around 300 x 600. I can even do the black background in photoshop for consistency. Let me know if I can help.

Looks like a fun site.
Ooga Mooga Unga Bunga!

H

Thanks Matt! The images in Ooga-Mooga belong to the users and not to me--each user uploads images of their own collection. When people are looking for their mug in the list of mugs, they get to see any images that people have uploaded. That helps them figure out which mug is the one to add to their collection. So just by using Ooga-Mooga, you can help everyone identify their mugs!

P

UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!
Humuhumu, this is incredible.
What a blast.

I want that TIki Bob selection removed and I have a court order. :wink:

T

I,ve said it before, and i'll say it a few times more, I love mugs. Its a good idea and I signed up the second that I saw the banner. Its sounds like it could be the new TC Ebay.

I bet that more people are going to be buying up a ton of mugs because of this. I'm trying to upload a pic form shutterfly from , my pics, and its not working. its the Shutterfly size jpg. pictures.

H

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I'm adding new mug templates as fast as I can, and I'll be dedicating a TON of time to that over the next week. It only takes me a moment to add each one, if you have mugs you'd like to add to the collection and I don't have a template for it yet, don't be shy about asking me to add one for you! The best way to ask me is to IM me at oogamoogamug on IM or YahooIM, or to email me at [email protected].

Unfortunately, Shutterfly resizes & crops the images so that they're too small for me to use -- instead of grabbing them down from your Shutterfly album, upload them from the original files your camera took, and it should work fine. If you're still having trouble, contact me and I'll see if I can help you through it.

Thanks Humu! What a fantastic idea!
That was the extra kick in the bum I needed to start photographing all of my mugs.

Not a valid image file: Warning 310: Must specify image size (\Documents and Settings\Ming\My Documents\My Pictures\ebay\New Folder\ebayuse\gecko.jpg).

Thats what I get when I try to upload my gecko mug pic.

H

Wacky! I haven't had any trouble uploading pictures myself, so it'll take a little troubleshooting. Can you email the picture you're trying to me at [email protected] ? I'm sorry it's giving you guff, I'll work on getting this fixed, pronto!

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-07-24 19:33 ]

Check your email

H

I'm still troubleshooting TikiGardener's problem -- he emailed his photos to me and I was able to upload them without any trouble. Everyone else should go ahead and try using that Picture Upload, but if anyone else is having trouble getting photos uploaded, email the photos to me at [email protected] and I'll upload them for you.

D

WOW.this is wonderful. amazing!

all the work you do for us... geez girl!

i've always wanted to do an inventory of what i have, but laziness always sets in.

thanks so much, Michelle!!

On 2005-07-24 17:30, Unga Bunga wrote:
Looks like a fun site.
Ooga Mooga Unga Bunga!

Unga Bunga like Ooga Mooga!

Wow, I thought I was seeing things when I looked on TC this morning (had not had enough coffee yet)! Clicked on the link and wow! Looks cool.

Now - I didn't see the time limit on the trial run. How long? Not that I am questioning it I was just curious, I already signed up...... BTW - how long does the approval process take?

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2005-07-25 10:30 ]

Glad you like it!

There's no time limit on the Free Trial account, you can stay in "Free Trial" mode forever if you like. A Free Trial account limits you to only 10 mugs in your collection, and you can't use Favorites to keep track of your mug wish list.

Regarding your approval process question, I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to -- can you elaborate?

Never mind. I clicked on the wrong link...... more coffee..........

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2005-07-25 11:04 ]

Total capacity of all mugs in Ooga-Mooga: 733 fl. oz., or 5.7 gallons

That's alot of Mai Tais!

Great work Humuhumu! I'm no mug collector, but I can certainly see the usefulness of the paid memberhsips for the serious and semi-serious folks, while the free trial account lets us slobs play around.
Ran

H

HOORAY! I was just able to recreate the picture upload problem, and better yet, fix it! Please everyone go ahead & try uploading photos, if you're still having trouble, email me at [email protected] .

Thanks everyone for your patience as I work out these little quirks -- I've tested things a lot here on my end, but obviously things still slip through the cracks.

Great! I'm gonna get some more photos taken tonight.
Another worthwhile distraction from trying to get the Memorial back up...
TG

Also, as I'm sure you've all seen already, I made a change to Tiki Central to display a link to your Mug Collection on every post. (In fact, I'm actually posting this message just so people can see my link to my mug collection!).

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-25 14:23 ]

H

Hanford also created the gorgeous Port & Starboard Glass images (ooh, gotta add those mug templates!), and he created the red & green tapacloth backgrounds, and the wooden plank buttons.

Humuhumu, great idea...

WOW Humu, that is a great site. Fantastic design. The perfect compliment to Tiki Central.

On 2005-07-25 14:22, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Also, as I'm sure you've all seen already, I made a change to Tiki Central to display a link to your Mug Collection on every post. (In fact, I'm actually posting this message just so people can see my link to my mug collection!).

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-25 14:23 ]

Hanford, I thought this was your Collection.

Great site,
unfortunately all I've got are all these one of a kind test color/personal copy Munktiki mugs.

Whats the process for putting up a mug thats not in the list? Manufacture?

Humu... I've got a favor to ask. I'm being totaly anal I know, but could you switch my name in the list to just "stuckie" not "stuckie nielsen". Sorry.

-stuckie

On 2005-07-25 15:00, johnnievelour wrote:
Hanford, I thought this was your Collection.

You're right. I meant to say my mug collection. :wink:

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-25 15:26 ]

H

That's not being anal at all, Stuckie! Done. I wasn't quite sure what the best way was to put a lot of the mug designer's names in there, if anyone else would like to change the name they're credited under, feel free to ask me to change it, it's an easy change, and getting your name right is important to me.

Re: adding new mug templates -- the best way is to IM me at oogamoogamug on YahooIM or AIM, the 2nd best way is to email me at [email protected] with a few details, the 3rd best way is to enter it under a "Basic" mug template, which I monitor for mug templates I don't have (I move your mug over to the new template for you, once it's created).

Your case is special, though since you've got a whole bunch of really one-of-a-kind mugs... let me cogitate for a bit on the best way to work with you on that. I think I can come up with a solution that will be really easy.

Well Im just being silly about the one of a kind mugs., If and when I get around to taking pictures of my personal mugs I could just put them in that mug's template but with my own photo of the different color.

Some mugs I own that I thought of posting were some of Ona tiki's mugs. So thats why I asked about the manufacture. After asking I noticed the place you mentioned about in making the Template.
Ok,.. so I added Ona tiki as a manufature in the template. Now do I need to do that again in the name catagory with its name?
I hope Im making sense.

-stuckie

Ok nevermind I think I've figured it all out.

then again maybe not.....

[ Edited by: stuckieshaft 2005-07-25 16:20 ]

[ Edited by: stuckieshaft 2005-07-25 16:29 ]

Humu, in the 'purchased from' drop down menu, we need a 'bought from a friend' and a 'traded with a friend' option, if possible!

I love how when a door closes (my cutting out things that keep me alive [ironically in order to stay alive] weed, alcohol, coffee, delicious salted treats) a window of love opens. Uploaded til the timer ticked out. VERY nice job, genius.

FA

My compliments to you for a truly wonderful original idea.

I tried to join, not sure if I was successful, and is there a login/out?

H

On 2005-07-25 17:28, Fez Ape wrote:
My compliments to you for a truly wonderful original idea.

I tried to join, not sure if I was successful, and is there a login/out?

Hi Fez Ape -

Yep, you registerd & activated just fine. The login is on the right hand side, at the top of the green area.

H

On 2005-07-25 16:59, Tikiwahine wrote:
Humu, in the 'purchased from' drop down menu, we need a 'bought from a friend' and a 'traded with a friend' option, if possible!

Great suggestion! Just added "Traded/Bought from a Person" to that drop-down.

Humu - what about adding a "looking for" or "wanted" section for each person account? That way if someone has a mug someone is looking for they can contact the person looking for it - and RAKE THEM ACROSS THE COALS, ummmmm ....... sorry, I mean work out a fair and honest trade or sale for it.

H

On 2005-07-25 18:22, Maori_man wrote:
Humu - what about adding a "looking for" or "wanted" section for each person account? That way if someone has a mug someone is looking for they can contact the person looking for it - and RAKE THEM ACROSS THE COALS, ummmmm ....... sorry, I mean work out a fair and honest trade or sale for it.

I've been considering making a third type of "Favorites" list, a "looking for" list that others can see, for that reason. Wouldn't be too hard to do, creating new mug templates is my top priority right now, but once I've tackled a good chunk there, I'll add the "Looking For" list.

S

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:00 ]

Thanks so much, Humu. This is a fantastic idea.

I'm having a great time playing with my mugs.

Kate

S

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:00 ]

Arggh! My wife is gonna kill me! More money on mugs?!? oh well, there goes my lunch money.
Hey H2, how about below price purchased, adding approximate value? Looking at Swanky's Trader Vic's Starboard mug has me asking how rare is that? (I HAVE to have one)

H

On 2005-07-25 18:47, Swanky wrote:
my suggestion: With so many mugs left to be added, allow us to insert a complete mug description and add a field for "Approved' or whatever and you look at each addition and set it to approved if it looks right. No need to make a mug from scretch that way, just edit someone's submission.

I'll consider it, but it's really not too much work to add a mug template as it is. I worked for a little bit this morning on a piece of code that lets me switch a mug in someone's collection from one template to another, so it's super easy for me to just look at what people are adding in using the Basic templates, create a new template, and move it over. But like I said, I'll consider it -- I might be changing my tune after entering another hundred templates!

H

On 2005-07-25 18:50, Swanky wrote:
Also, make an index of places so I can search Trader Vic's and get all the mugs associated with them.

I'm working on this -- we'll have links back & forth between Ooga-Mooga, Critiki and Tiki Central that work exactly like the Critiki/Tiki Central links.

H

On 2005-07-25 18:51, bananabobs wrote:
Arggh! My wife is gonna kill me! More money on mugs?!? oh well, there goes my lunch money.
Hey H2, how about below price purchased, adding approximate value? Looking at Swanky's Trader Vic's Starboard mug has me asking how rare is that? (I HAVE to have one)

A mug's approximate value is based on Price Sightings, which anyone can enter from what they're seeing out in the wild -- at a Thrift Shop, and Antique Mall, eBay, what have you. You can enter a Price Sighting at the bottom left below a mug's photo. An average price is calculated based on that and displayed at the top of the Price Sightings box.

H

Phew! Thanks for all your great enthusiasm, everyone, this has been a very busy, and very fun, day! It's so cool to look at how everyone's mug collections are growing, and to see the great photos being uploaded. I'm tickled pink to hear that you're all having fun with it, too.

I have heard that the only dumb question is one not asked...
I would imagine that folks would be proud to let others use their photos...see where I am going with this?
I can think of some problems already but also some solutions.
...besides someone else is bound to ask. Thanks!

H

On 2005-07-25 19:16, bananabobs wrote:
I have heard that the only dumb question is one not asked...
I would imagine that folks would be proud to let others use their photos...see where I am going with this?
I can think of some problems already but also some solutions.
...besides someone else is bound to ask. Thanks!

It is, indeed, a sticky wicket, as I'm sure you can imagine. I've got a few solutions kicking around in my head, but I want to make sure I've come up with a solution that 1) protects those who don't want their photo used beyond their own collection, 2) gives proper byline credits to those who have let their picture be used, but doesn't confuse viewers who might wonder who is the owner of the mug they're looking at, and 3) still encourages people to upload their own photos if they're able.

The solution that I'm thinking through at the moment is to ask Ooga-Mooga members whether they would like to make their photo available to other members as a "stock" photo. This would be done similar to the "Public" setting, where it's set on a photo-by-photo level, but the member can set what the default is for their account in Account settings. Then I just have to consider how to give a byline photo credit in a way that isn't confusing. I would probably have "stock" photos be shaded a bit, so it's clear which photos that member owns, and which are being borrowed from another member.

That being said, the person who owns the photos is the Ooga-Mooga member who took the photo, not me. If someone wants to make their photos available to other users to upload with the understanding that they won't get a byline unless they "watermark" the image themselves, that's okay with me.

T

we need a shot glass section although isn't not a "mug" and a bottle/decanter/flask section. And is the tiki mug template could be actually everything.

Also I don't see a way to change/add the color, height, manufactured and other characteristics.

Can't wait to see new mugs like the zombie moai of Stuckie's

H

To see the shot glasses and decanters in Ooga-Mooga, you can do a Mug Search, and select those shape types from the Shapes Selection box (it's defaulted to "Any Shapes").

The only information you need to enter about your mug is its own particular details -- for instance, what number you own, what condition it's in, where you got it. The color, designer, manufacturer, etc. information comes from a Mug Template, which is created by me. If you have found a Mug Template for a mug you own, and some of that information is missing, you can tell me the information that's missing by using "Update Mug Template". If you can't find the right Mug Template, use a Basic Mug template (see the bottom of Add a Mug for details) and enter as much information as you can in the Notes field when you add the mug to your collection. Uploading a photo of your mug is particularly helpful. I am monitoring those Basic Mug Templates, and when I can, I create a new Mug Template for your mug. I then move your mug from the Basic Mug Template over to the correct new template -- you don't have to do anything.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies