Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

I must be insane

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

Encouraged by what I see posted here, I decided to have a go at carving my own tiki. I selected a small, dry piece of pine.

Lacking appropriate carving tools, I used a Swiss Army Knife. Yeah, that's right, a swiss army knife.

I sketched a simple face on the wood and went to work.

So far, I have blisters, raw hands, a big pile of shavings and a slightly narrower piece of wood.

I'm loving every second of it. I'm going to work around the eyes a little bit today.

Ah! :lol: A good belly-laugh over coffee to start my day!! Thanks for posting that!! Insane? Yeahhh... prolly so... So what?!?! Practical...?? Sure!! You can use the tweezers from the Swiss Army Knife to remove the splinters!

Keep it up!! There's a tiki in that wood somewhere - just waiting to come out!

The first Tiki I ever tried was done the same way.
I found a piece of driftwood on the beach when I was in Rarotonga and I carved a Tangaroa like the ones I had seen around with my swiss army knife.
Thanks for bringing back a nice memory, and keep chipping away.

M

I am at work, coasting on my one hour of sleep I had last night due to my own obsessive creation of a pile of wood shavings.

oh, and there's a tiki emerging from this piece of log I have at home.

Stick with it and look for a woodcraft store. I just found one a mile and a half away from me that has been there for for a year. You should also try exacto blades.

p.s. My first tiki was carved from a chunk from a 2x4 with a scalpel

T

Hey Teanoi

Glad to see another "tea" up in this place. Yeah man, any start is a good start. Thats about the same tools that I own.

Ahoy there-

Let's see a pic- blisters or carving :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2005 8:17 PM

Teanoi,

There is nothing wrong with you, you're just sick/nuts like the rest of us! You'll be fine if you keep carving a steady stream of tikis. However, your symptoms will get worse if you deny your urge to create. Bring on the pics - I want to see your thumb and the carving!

-Gman

H

Mate, how good is it!? I had so much fun on that first tiki, it was unbeleivable. Can't wait to see the pics!

I am thinking of starting a treatment center for all of us stricken with this disease. Welcome to the club.

M

I have a fever -

And the only cure . . .

is MORE TIKI!!!

T

I'm going to take just a little break until I can get my grubby little paws on either a) proper tools or b) a sharper knife.

I'm having trouble around the eyes too - I'm doing my best to not let the blade slip and cut into them.

I'll take pictures later.

Pages: 1 10 replies