Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Raise a Tiki At Tiki Gardens Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

Ok, to make it easier for discussion about raising a Tiki at Tiki Gardens, I've started this thread.

I hope everyone will use this thread to make suggestions, and help out with this.

Given the fact that the Mayor of Indian Shores at least thinks

``It's not a bad idea; there's a lot of history to the place,"

Lets see what we can do to convince him.

Carvers contact me.

Tg
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

O
Otto posted on Mon, Nov 4, 2002 2:26 PM

good work Scott
Let's rally the troops
I'll post more detials on your board

T

I'm not a carver at this point - but count me in for help!

Kailuageoff made the observation that if 100 members kicked in $20.00 each we'd have the money that would be in the neighborhood of the Mayors estimate of what it would cost to raise a tiki at Tiki Gardens.

Now instead of collecting the money up front before we explore the idea fully with the proper people, how about this ( Ottos idea by the way )

Anyone willing to join in makes a pledge, this is only a pledge, so the money stays in your pocket until the day comes that we get the go ahead.

So, let the pledge drive begin.

I'll pledge $300.00 to begin with. And if I can, I'll front more. But being a blue collar stiff, I have to play it close to the vest with the ducats.

minus 300.00

_____1700.00 to go.

Next? Tiki Spirit (tm) anyone?
TG

If you do decide to join in, please contact me by email, and send me your contact info.

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2002-11-04 23:53 ]

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Nov 5, 2002 7:22 AM

I'll definitely go $20 minimum. East Coast in da house!

$20.00 is a small price to pay for a memorial to a place that shaped my Tiki mind...count me in!

Greeting from Brooklyn!

Count us in on whatever we can do.. We've been in touch w/ Tiki Gardener and already pledged our allegnece to the project. Our design firm would be more than happy to add our serves if appropriate to the petition or any method of convincing the powers-that-be in IRB to reserect the Tiki's on their original site.

We'll pledge $40, the same amount I just spent on a Hawaiian Village mug.
Come on everyone, think about what you spend on e-bay each month -- or for a couple of fog cutters -- and commit a similar amount to this effort. If we are successful doing this project, perhaps we can do some other tiki conciousness raising elsewhere. It would give our interest in tiki a little more substance than pub crawls and mug collecting (not that there is anything wrong with the before mentioned acitivities).

T

Of course you can count me in for $20....

minus 300.00 TikiGardener

_____1700.00 to go.
Minus 20.00 Swanky

_____1680.00
Minus 20.00 inkylouise

_____1660.00
Minus 40.00 Kailuageoff

______1620.00
Minus 20.00 Tangaroa

______1600.00
Minus 20.00 TikiKiliki

______1580.00
Minus 20.00 TraderWoody

______1560.00
Minus 20.00 Chongolio

______1540.00
Minus 20.00 Martiki

_______1520.00
Minus 20.00 Tiki Bree

_______1500.00
Minus 20.00 kongtiki

_______1480.00
Minus 20.00 Tiki Adam

_______1460.00
Minus 100.00 Ron Oliver (!!!)

_______1360.00
Minus 20.00 kongtiki (a double pledger! )

_______1340.00
Minus 20.00 lostinbrooklyn

_______1320.00
Minus 40.00 thebaxdog and KukuiNut

_______1280.00
Minus 20.00 Mimi P.

_______1260.00
Minus 20.00 Tiki Le Gallez

_______1240.00
Minus 20.00 Tiki Chris

_______1220.00
Minus 20.00 TikiCraig

_______1200.00
Minus 40.00 Jungle Jim & Jennifer
_______1160.00

Minus 40.00 Otto
_______1120.00
Minus 40.00 secret agent extraordinaire

_______1080.00
Minus 20.00 Jeff Central

_______1060.00
Minus 100.00 tweedtone

_______960.00 TO GO!!!
Minus 20.00 Aquarj

_______940.00
Minus 50.00 Tikirob

_______890.00
Minus 20.00 Eric Eidelbach

_______870.00
Minus 20.00 Anon.

_______850.00
Minus 20.00 APE

_______830.00
Minus 20.00 King Kukulele

_______810.00
Minus 20.00 Turbogod

_______790.00
Minus 20.00 Voodootiki

_______770.00
Minus 20.00

_______750.00
Minus 20.00 Pink Poodle

_______730.00
Minus 20.00 TikiMug

_______710.00
Minus 40.00 BoneProducutions/Tikimania

_______670.00
Minus 40.00 Hanford Lemoore

_______630.00
Minus 20.00 Floratina

_______610.00
Minus 100.00 R Oliver ( as per cooperation )

_______510.00
Minus 20.00 D.A. Hester

_______490.00

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2002-11-13 22:50 ]

My $20.00 is in!

Ok, that's me in for £12.90 ($20)

You can now claim 'international interest'!

Trader Woody

On 2002-11-05 15:53, Trader Woody wrote:
Ok, that's me in for £12.90 ($20)

You can now claim 'international interest'!

Trader Woody

Roflmao!
And indeed I shall!
TG

T

By the way - I nominate (if that counts for anything) Crazy Al as the carver....!

C

Sounds like a neat idea. What the heck, I can eat top ramen for a couple weeks if it means I helped bring one more tiki into the world. Put me down for a twenty spot ($20.00). How about having a design contest and the winner gets there vision carved by one of the TCs carvers. Kinda like the shecky deal.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-11-05 18:36 ]

On 2002-11-05 18:35, Chongolio wrote:
Sounds like a neat idea. What the heck, I can eat top ramen for a couple weeks if it means I helped bring one more tiki into the world. Put me down for a twenty spot ($20.00). How about having a design contest and the winner gets there vision carved by one of the TCs carvers. Kinda like the shecky deal.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-11-05 18:36 ]

Well Ithink the working idea would be either a Kahona or a Lono to gaze out over The grounds. But perhaps any carver could present a rendering of their take on either subject, and we present them to the group.

But other possiblities could exist in choosing a carver.

I still extend the first right to Bamboo Ben as he did offer quite sometime ago to do a carving should we get this idea off the ground.

We still need to get the exact needs of what would be needed to make sure the tiki A) will survive for sometime in the Florida environment, B) to be able to make sure the tiki is secure in its new home, C) most importantly meets with the approval of the Indian Shores Government who would be the ones being gracious enough to allow a tiki raising on what is after all, their property.

Keep the discussion going.
TG

F

I'm in for whatever is needed.

I think the tiki should be made out of concrete, and be a replica of one of the original tikis, ideally the torch-lighting tiki, TG signature tiki, or entrance tiki:

see the tikis on this page:

http://www.tikigardens.com

and

http://user.gru.net/cateye/tikis.html

Having someone carve a tiki wouldn't be as authentic in my opinion, plus it will rot and/or get stolen.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-11-06 04:50 ]

TB

This wahini proudly pledges $20 to the cause!!
Since beachside conditions in Florida are brutal to organic matter and metals,
I also agree that it should be composed of concrete. Erecting a replica of one of the former tikis would be more appropriae as just homage to the site.

T

KukuiNut and the Baxdog are down for $20 each.
I will work on some 3rd grade poetry for the raising.

The Brooklyn Tiki crew tosses in our $20 bucks ( and hopefully 2 cents as well) to the cause.

Are we there yet? Should be darn close.

Keep on keeping on!

A

K

Put another $40 on the big board from your friends at Konakai.com! Both of us.

RO

I remember Tiki Gardens from staying at my grandparents place in Florida -- for a kid from a crappy little Canadian village, snowbound five months of the year, this place was heaven on earth! Count me in for $100.00 -- let's do this!!

Ron Oliver
Palm Springs, CA

TA

Aloha!
This is for something great!
You can count in $20.00 from Sweden.

Mahalo nui loa for doing this!

TC

i'm down for $20.00

T

You can count me in for $20!

[email protected]

We're up to $800.00 Dollars!
TG
Http://wwwexotc-tiki-gardens.com

O
Otto posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2002 11:24 AM

On 2002-11-06 04:45, fatuhiva wrote:

I think the tiki should be made out of concrete, and be a replica of one of the original tikis, ideally the torch-lighting tiki, TG signature tiki, or entrance tiki:

Having someone carve a tiki wouldn't be as authentic in my opinion, plus it will rot and/or get stolen.

I agree
and I pitch in for $20
maybe there could be a "business" pledge at a higher level? Heck, I'll go $40

On 2002-11-06 04:45, fatuhiva wrote:

i'm in agreement about that too.

For the record, I'm hip to the concrete Lono approach.

YeeeHaw!! Count me in for $20 too!
LONG LIVE "TIKI GARDENS"!!

T

I was born in Clearwater, raised here and currently live maybe 30 minutes from the former Tiki Gardens site so count me in for $100.

I think it's fantastic the interest this idea has generated. I'm thinking a benefit concert is in order!

tweedtone
http://www.vodkanauts.com

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2002-11-06 15:00 ]

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2002-11-06 15:02 ]

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2002-11-06 15:04 ]

Ok, in two days, we've got pledges for a total of 1040.00 dollars!

And ( drum roll please! )

I talked to the mayor of Indian Shores twice today, and heres the scoop.

He is VERY hip to the idea!!! In fact he is going to go down and check out the lot, as he thinks he knows a spot that the city council would be cool with letting us do this! He is going to try and take pictures, so we can see where it is, and also so we can do up an artists conception drawing.

Given that the land was supposed to be developed by the county, but wasn't since the lot sits across the street from the Gulf waterfront, and is a very low revenue parking low for the county. Given that fact, he thinks that anything that may bring people to the lot is a good thing!

I also expained that this a dedication ceremony might bring some people into town, could be ten, could be a hundred who knows.
But with media coverage, he was receptive to the idea of making a day of it. I think it could draw in local passersby who would be wondering "what the hell is going on?"

So that benefit concert is in order! Heck, we could see about having a little Luau if they'd let us.

After two years of no progress, I have to say that this is overwhelming! I always hoped this would turn out to be a joint effort of all the fans of Polynesian Pop, this is something to call your own. Just like the Website, I may try and organise it, but it has been the product of many people contributing.

So any Florida folks know any concrete people?

Although the Mayor did say that you can find certain woods that will stand up failry well to the Florida environment.

Heck maybe we could get the concrete one up, and ask if we could place some wood ones back in the less accessible areas, so that with the slow decay, a slow release of Tiki Mana would be guarenteed.

So in closing, keep the ball roling people!
We're close!!!
TG

Today Tiki Gardens, tomorrow...Kahiki? :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2002-11-06 15:39 ]

Wayne Coombs has done some stuff in concrete. He said he has your number and is going to call you.

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2002 6:52 PM

I'll contribute $20. Less than a San Mateo parking ticket!

-Randy

I talked to Wayne, and he's very into the idea.

For him to do an 8 foot Kahona in concrete is going to run around 2,500.00.

If he does a tiki, we can do either Lono Or Kahona, so should we set a vote?

And then when we set on which tiki, do we go for pure recreation, or do we let him put some of his style into it?

At present, he is leaning heavily towards Kahona, pure recreation as his idea.

He is faxing me all the info he can on logistics etc tomorrow.

I'd still like to hear from other carvers. Just to cover all the bases, and to have as many proposals for The Indian Shores city council as possible.

TG

I love Wayne's style, but I vote for recreation of an original design. I know he'll do a great job!

T

After visiting the site this summer, I would have to agree, this site is in dire need of a tiki! Count me in for $50.

I jut checked Urchin web quota, and on the day of the article we got 148 visitors, and on Monday that went up to 180. The Saturday previous to the article we had 73. Thank you Tampa Tribune!!!
Tg

T

Put me in for $20

Put me in for $20.00!!! I hope that it works out!! It will give me another good reason to go on a "tiki hunt" vacation in Florida!!

T

Woo-hoo! This is amazing how fast it has taken off....
I would just like to put in my two cents & say that I think Kahona would be the best call, & it would be really nice if it looked as close to the original as possible...
By the way - what happened to all those original tikis?

Bulldozed, wooden ones auctioned off, along with a lot of other stuff.
TG

T

Any idea where the auctioned ones ended up?

On 2002-11-07 12:38, Tangaroa wrote:
Any idea where the auctioned ones ended up?

I know one person who ended up with some very large masks at the moment, I think they're the ones on the triple peaked main building facade.

Most of the tikis though were concrete, destroy in place kinda stuff.
TG

I think it's pretty essential that it's a re-creation of one of the original statues at Tiki Gardens, otherwise it becomes a meaningless gesture. Just think if we were commemorating Disney World and put up a statue of any old rodent rather than Mickey Mouse (Actully, seeing the way Disney Corp have treated Winnie the Pooh, a fang-flashing rat might work quite well, but I digress....)

My vote goes with Kahona, purely because it kicks ass, stomps the terra, and the fact that Lono looks too damn cute. Get Kahona on that patch of land and Lono will follow.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-11-07 16:08 ]

Just got an email from Wayne, He's definately on board, all we need is the $.

Later on I'm goinng to try and call the mayor to see if anything has progressed on his end.

TG

T

I'm chiming in alittle late, but as of right now I will pledge $20 smackeroos!

I talked to Greg R (RainS Tiki Central name ), and he might do up a Tiki Gardens inspired painting to put up on ebay, with proceeds going to the tiki fund.

Any other artists up for this idea?

Shag, you out there?
TG

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies