Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Raise a Tiki At Tiki Gardens Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

I vote that it be donated to a social charity (homeless or children) in the Tiki Gardens area under the name Tiki Central.

weren't (some of) those funds used up in pitching the offer. i donated w/ the understanding that the project might not be seen through to completion.

anyway, if (some of) the money can be retrieved, donating it to a worthy cause is fine by me.

but ...

i propose to do it NOT under the name "tiki central" b/c clearly it was only a few of us who honoured our pledges but another name, such as "the friends of tiki gardens" or some such name.

take care,
chris

M

I agree with tiki Chris "i propose to do it NOT under the name "tiki central" b/c clearly it was
only a few of us who honoured our pledges but another name, such as
"the friends of tiki gardens" or some such name."
I am not angry at Tiki Central as a whole, but I am fuming at those individual "a-holes" that disgraced our name. There is the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch", in this case is seems like 100-200 bas apples.
Did we really only donate about $600? if so that means only about 30 of us donated. Don't we have about 600 members? I live in California and might never make the effort to visit the Memorial so it is not like it is something that will make my neighborhood nicer. I probably would never have the chance to enjoy seeing it in person, but I still was glad to donate.
May the Tiki's impose only Tiki Leilani's in the future for the flakes that didn't contribute!!

T

I agree - I'd love to see a complete listing of the names of all who pledged & then didn't pony up....

I can understand the call for a 'name and shame' session (and for a while thought that way myself), but it's not going to help raise the statue. Those who pledged and didn't come through know who they are and live with their actions. Probably they will justify their (lack of) action because 'something came up'. Whatever.

As for the money, return it to the people who paid and they can give it to charity, spend it on mugs, or whatever they feel themselves. Personally, I'd rather put my money where I want it to go to (In this case a homage to Tiki Gardens) than something random chosen by someone else.

Sorry for being crabby, but this is a sour day for Tiki Central, though I must stress that a good number of pledgers did so via the Tiki News e-mail and never actually made any real contribution to TC.

Trader Woody

It's too bad but a lot of people will always say one thing and do another. For me it's "say what you mean and mean what you say". Or say nothing at all, but do it anyway. As for me, I never said I'd contribute, but I did towards the end, because the cause was worthy, in my opinion. I wonder if we could get another good carver out there to do it for cheaper.

Can I also point out the amount of work by TikiGardener, Otto, Chris Y and others to make this thing happen make our contributions
utterly meagre in comparison. Real thanks to all involved.

Trader Woody

R
Rain posted on Fri, Feb 14, 2003 4:14 PM

i may not be a GOOD tiki carver, but if somebody got me some wood i'd do it for free.

Well I pledge my $20 to help Rain get some gas, drive to the site and whack a great big fuggin' Tiki where it should be.

Trader Woody

I have seen Rain's work in person and he is a damn fine carver. I would be happy to shift my $45 over to him to help pay for the log as well.

Re: donation. I agree completely about the name "Friends of Tiki Gardens"

"Tiki Central" came out because I type faster than I think!

Also, I thought it would be easier for the organizers to just donate the money to a charity, as they have already done enough work and returning all those donations (especially the Paypal ones) would be a logistical pain in the ass -- not to mention involving some additional costs, so you'd never get the full amount back anyways.

But I'm fine with whatever.

And I STILL would like to see the deadbeat pledgers identified, as it would allow me to consider that fact every time they posted something to TC.

-Mike

R
Rain posted on Fri, Feb 14, 2003 4:46 PM

ok, i have a confession to make.
even though i didn't pledge any cash up front, very early on, i told tikigardener that i'd donate the sale of a painting to this. unfortunately, i didn't paint ANYTHING for about 6 months after that. (you can check my ebay history.)
so, i'm scum, sorry. but sometimes money problems and nazi job situations DO happen to folks.

anyway, i seriously would do this given the material, so if someone can tell me what the deal was suppsoed to be with getting the wood, or if the wood is already there, etc, how big it was supposed to be, etc etc etc...

I think it's obvious that the spirit is still there. Hell, 31 Tiki Centralites (or perhaps less, but more generous) dipped their hands in their pockets. The organisers I'm sure are still up for it, and Rain will do it out of love.

Muggler, I understand your idea about the using charity to make life easy. I was looking at it from the angle that choosing a charity would lead to more disagreements. Not sure whats the best way to go about it apart from funding Rain!

Trader Woody

This all sounds very well intentioned, but the problem, as I understand it, is we can't just carve a tiki and stick it in the parking lot in Indian Rocks (not unless we want the city to come and haul it away). This whole project, design, etc. needs to be submitted and approved by the powers that be. That is why the costs and complications mushroomed.
I suggest we sit tight and see what happens when CY makes his presentation to the Indian Rocks kahunas next week. I'm still into leaving my donantion with him, even if he's not going to see the project through with the offical credit going to "Tiki Central". I really don't even care if my name is listed on the program, but I think Friends of Tikis Gardens is a good idea.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-02-16 07:15 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-02-16 07:27 ]

R
Rain posted on Sun, Feb 16, 2003 9:17 AM

agreed, now that i see that letter from cy and have some clue as to what's going on with this. it seems to me that there should have been some sort of email going out, or a lttle more organization (a la what hanford was saying on the "where are we with the..." thread).

[From Hanford :I'm locking this topic temporarily -- will unlock it in the future 2/20/2003]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-02-20 15:10 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies