Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)

Pages: 1 2 93 replies

T

Hey man! Great stuff! You've been very busy haven't you! I really like the moldy one. Also especially newtinytiki04.jpg - very nice! What kind of wood is that?

Watch out for those Foredom Burrs (The "Red Typhoon" is nasty if/when it gets out of control).

It's better now but it sure bled a lot with stringy skin hangin off it.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 11:17 ]

YIPES! Tikigap, those burs are for WOOD! I'm sure they make a similar tool for surgeons if that's what you're needing! :) Newtinytiki was done in (everybody's favorite) walnut.

OK Ben/8ft, a-sandin' I will go. And it's indoors for him for the rest of the rainy week.

T

On 2006-05-02 16:09, SilverLine wrote:
Newtinytiki was done in (everybody's favorite) walnut.

I thought so! I love that stuff...

Finally! That mold was a B!TCH! Don't let mold happen to you! One side effect was, it weakened the outer layers of the Maple making fine detail a job for the glue. No fun. But it's about 95% sanded off, stained and spar-urethaned, and now taking up residence on the porch of our lake house. Hopefully now I'll catch more fish!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 4:11 PM

Silverline,

Mold or no mold, this guy looks great! Good job finishing him up. Too bad about the mold. I have to really watch it with the humidity here. Mold grows on everything and I am very allergic to it. I hope he holds together for you and doesn't continue to deteriorate. Now go catch some fish!

-Gman

B

Nice job Silverliner. Looks like you got rid of the mold pretty well. Now you have to do another one.

congrats to another coontiki graduate...super work Silverline. He'd make any carver proud.

8T

AHHH YESSS! It was worth the wait to see it finished. Sweet job. What's next?

T

Wowsa! That came back very nicely! That dog looks very realistic, too! Nice job!

J

You dealt with the mold well, you can't even tell. Don't fish too much, you need to carve more.
JP

K

He turned out beautiful - he looks like he's got a lot of attitude.

TD

man silverline that turned out good! it just looks amazing. good job on getting rid of that mold. good luck in future tiki.

My latest attempt; a pine Moai. I did this one for my step-mom who wanted something she could put out in her garden, so I went with a large design that could be recognized from a distance. It's about 38 inches tall. It's kinda crude, but effective, I think. I hope she likes it.

M

Holy Moai Silver!!! Nice nice. Someone's gonna be happy. Specially around easter!

Mahalo

McTiki

Yeah, I dig the thick grain on 'em. He'll keep the spirits away!
Any idea what kind of pine it might be?

MD

Maoi are just the coolest, they don't need all the angry faces and stances to make a statement. Just one cool look that someone thousands of years ago got just right.
Good job Silver.

B

Definitely Way Cool. It is Really a Maoi and very visible, like you said. Excellent job and the Wood is Perfect for the bold design. You're step-mom is a Lucky Lady!

It has a primitive look that fits a Moai very well...has a bit of a Witco look to me as
well...nice work Silverline.

8T

I saw this carving in person the other day and it really is cool. He turned a big ol' hunk o pine into a good looking idol don'tcha think!!( I also got to see Silverline's winter carving retreat space he just prepared and I am jealous that he is going to get to carve indoors while I will be shivering out in the cold. BRRRR

As a lark I entered a couple of my carvings into a local juryed art show. I didn't think I'd get selected to be shown with the "highbrow" artists this event attracts, but I was WRONG! They accepted my Catalpa Marq! The opening was tonight. Here are a couple shots of the venue. It's a three month traveling show. Perty cool fer a midwestern tiki-phile/carver!

B

Well DUH! Look at this Carving you entered, That is one Really Awesome TIKI. The Color is Perfect and it looks like you must have made him a complete Christian, you sanded the Hell out of him. The Detail Is Crisp and Sharp. Good to see you posting work again...:) :) :)

8T

I knew you said this was coming up and I was just wondering the other day if it was going on yet. Glad to see that they do have some good taste here after all!! Thanks for the pics of the event. How is the big oak carving coming ???

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 11:23 PM

Congrats! That's a good looking tiki carving. GROG like.

M

Way to Go Silverline! Congradulations! Very well done Marq! And no doubt that you were chosen!

Mahalo

McTiki

Ditto what others have said. This is a wonderful piece & would be a great addition to any collection (I wont even begin to imagine what it would cost to send over here!). Is it kosha to ask what sort of price you have him? Unfortunately Im not asking as a serious purchaser but genuinely interested as a fellow artist as someone with involvement in the running of a local gallery. (please PM if you'd rather)
The other work in the exhibition seems of very high calibre (as is your own) & I am trying to gauge a comparison with Contemporary Maori woodcaving in NZ.

Cheers
Tama :)

On 2007-03-03 23:57, Tamapoutini wrote:
Is it kosha to ask what sort of price you have him? Unfortunately Im not asking as a serious purchaser but genuinely interested as a fellow artist as someone with involvement in the running of a local gallery.

Sorry Tamapoutini, I can't help you there. This one is not for sale; my wife likes it too much (and so do I). And if it were for sale, I really don't have any idea what it might go for here.

S
squid posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 8:45 PM

Nice job Silverline! She's a beaut!
REPRESENT KC!!!! WOOOOOOO!

Silverline, they were lucky to have you! I think it's great to show your work even if it's not for sale. Nice self portrait with the Marq, BTW. Your photography skills are right on par with the carving!

On 2007-03-03 20:55, Benzart wrote:
... it looks like you must have made him a complete Christian, you sanded the Hell out of him... :) :) :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A-A

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 7:18 AM

Way cool! Congrats! Awesome carving!

J

Congrats, It doesn't surprise me, he looks perfect. It will be nice to hear what kind of feedback you get from the "Highbrow" set.

JP

*On 2007-03-03 21:45, 8FT Tiki wrote:*How is the big oak carving coming ???

He's DONE! I'm not all that thrilled with how this one turned out, though. The oak was a real pain in the plunge-cuts so I'm afraid I didn't go as deep as I should have. Oh well, he's DONE, so time to move on to the next one! BTW, this one's for sale, but I really don't know where to start, price-wise. And suggestions would be VERY helpful!

good stuff Silverline. Your latest creations have a nice vintage look...
congrats on the art show.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 1:42 PM

Wow Silverline, just found your thread, you've got some amazing stuff here! I love how the cracks came out in the oak piece, I'm struggling with some cracks right now, and it's nice to see that a piece can still look really sharp with cracks in it.
How are you liking that Economy Flexshaft carver that you got last year? Still using it?

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 5:38 PM

Damnit your stuff kicks so much arse. I dig it all!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 5:42 PM

I haven't visited this since the early pages - great work man! Congrats on the art show - its well deserved :) This latest guy is great too

B

Sl, That Oak is So nice, you should do a Whole series out of it. Good thing you aren't in the UK where thay carve Oak for breakfast every day. They LOVE carving OAK
Your Oak piece is excellent!

H

I'm not all that thrilled with how this one turned out, though.

I'm REAL thrilled with how it turned out--that's an a$$ kicker!
How tall is it?

B

That last piece is sooo awesome. The cracks give it a well aged appearance that enhance the piece in my opinion. I like the way that each piece you've chosen to do is pretty different from the previous. Quite a groovy evolution!

Thanks everybody for the kind words. You know, there's always something you think you'd do differently if you had the chance. That's why you can never stop carving I guess! This guy is just under 3 feet tall. That dense oak tips the scales at around 80 lbs.

Very nice Marquesan. Good work. Tough wood!

On 2007-03-08 10:33, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Very nice Marquesan. Good work. Tough wood!

Agreed, very very nice....I like it and the contrast between the dark wood and the white is terrific! Great job!!!

Amy

S

I like it. I would give it the BK aging treatment though. Dull down the paint a bit. It has some cracks already, so, the BK treatment would only enhance that classic look.

B

You have been MISSED around here!

Thanks Ben; that's nice to hear. I'm still here, just haven't carved much of anything since the oak piece. I spent most of last year (when I wasn't working) resuscitating and customizing an old ironhead Harley Davidson. I just started carving a tiki shift knob for the soon-to-be-installed jockey shifter. I'll post that when it's finished. For now . .

(Note the shrunken head hanging from the mirror.)

B

Wow, Cool Restore project, can you get a close-up of the shrunken head?

On 2008-01-17 09:32, Benzart wrote:
Wow, Cool Restore project, can you get a close-up of the shrunken head?

I don't have a good shot of just it, but you can see it better in this one. It's just a junky Halloween decoration, but I'll be getting a nice one for the vintage bike show this spring. I'll display the bike with one of my larger carvings; entered in the Rat Bike category.

Pages: 1 2 93 replies