Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Singapore Sling is Dead

Pages: 1 34 replies

Just got back from a business trip to Singapore and as required by law -- and under threat of caning -- sampled Singapore Slings hither and yon.

This drink is pretty much hopeless.

The Slings at Raffles are sweet and nasty at the same time. Niggardly in its application of booze. And expensive (15 Singapore dollars). Watched tourists (herded in by the police) to the "long bar" and buy their Slings, drink about half, and leave.

Everything else about the Raffles Hotel, btw, is outstanding. Wonderful service. Great food. Time-machine trip back to the halcyon days of the British Empire (Disney version).

Sling at my hotel (Sheraton Towers) was sweeter, even less alcoholic, even more expensive. My boss had to be unscrewed from the ceiling when she got the bill.

Sling on Singapore Airlines -- which from the lovely stewardess uniforms to the noise-reduction headphones to the on-demand 60-movie selection to the oustanding meal service(s) is by far the best airline I've ever flown on -- was like cherry Hawaiian punch with a dab of rubbing alcohol.

The Singapore Sling is a compicated drink --

1 oz Gin
1/2 oz Cherry brandy
4 oz Pineapple juice
1/2 oz Lime juice
1/4 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/3 oz Grenadine
1 dash Angostura bitters

-- and complicated drinks require the very highest of the barman's art to pull off properly. In writing and in advertising one message is strongest, two messages is less strong, three messages get complicated and, well, eight messages (as there are in the Sling) is pretty much No Message At All.

It takes a talented mixologist indeed to make a multi-ingredient cocktail sharp and tasty. I hereby put a shout-out and toast of tribute to Mrs. Shipwreckjoey, whose rendition of Blood of the Kapu Tiki (five ingredients) is outstanding and sharply flavorful and also renders one completely wasted after one drink. That's how complicated drinks are supposed to be made! And I have tried to duplicate this drink in my own bar -- to no avail. It truly does require talent.

Anyway. Wandering off topic. The point of this post is: the Singapore Sling is Dead.

So it is written! So it shall be done!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2005-08-01 09:41 ]

H

This echoes every trip report I've ever heard from someone who's been to Raffles -- they don't make 'em like they used to, at all. Premade, and tastes not unlike a melted Slurpee.

While I've no doubt that what you get when you order a Singapore Sling in modern times is nowhere near what you're supposed to get, I can't help but wonder -- was it ever a really good drink? Has anyone had one they thought was fantastic? It's a relatively old drink, predates our Mai Tais and Lapu Lapus, an early expiriment in complicated fruit drink cocktails. Maybe it was novel, inventive, and tasty when first concocted, but not so much by our modern standards.

I would have to second the question as to whether it was ever a good drink. To me, a good tiki drink is a combination of sweet and sour that has acheived a balance between the two- not too sour and (probably more importantly) not too sweet. Just looking at the recipe for a sling tells me there are way too much on the sweet side for that poor 1/2 Oz. of Lime juice to balance out. There's 4 oz. of pineapple juice, and Cointreau, Benedictine, grenadine, and cherry brandy are all sweet.

P

Singapore Sling is kind of like a Mai Tai. There are a dozen different recipes for them and each of them claims to be the "original." I have mixed the recipe you posted and it does come out kind of sweet but is a very nice drink if balanced correctly. Simpler recipes that use lemon and seltzer water produce a more tart drink which I like very much. The recipe in the 1st issue of Tiki Magazine is a nice one. I have still not mixed the "Straights Sling (I think that is what it was called - my issue of tiki magazine is not handy) given in the same issue. That should prove to be an even dryer version of the drink. Thanks to Beachbum Berry for both recipes.

I like a singapore sling very much, but it is a hard drink to make correctly. I recommend the sling at Purple Orchid. Not an original recipe, but they balance it well and it is a very enjoyable drink.

Bad news about Raffles. But the good news is you don't have to travel half way around the world to get one.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2005-08-01 11:51 ]

Ngiam Tong Boon is credited with the creation of the Singapore Sling in 1915 at the Long Bar of the Raffles Hotel.

The immortal Singapore Raffles Gin Sling of 1915

1/3 Dry London Gin
1/3 Cherry Brandy
1/3 Benedictine

Shake for a moment, then stir in a bar glass. (a couple ice cubes)
Turn into 10 oz Highball leaving on cube afloat and fill up to individual taste with Club Soda. Garnish with one peel of green lime.

In the UK, the formula was:

2 parts Old Tom Gin (hard to acquire)
1 part Cherry Brandy
1 part Benedictine
utilizing a trifle more ice, than the Raffles version. This provides a dryer (less sweet) version.

My favorite version is:
11/2 ounce of Juniper Green Organic London Dry Gin
(less inpurities means less hangover)
1/2 ounce of Peter Herring Cherry Heering
1/2 ounce of Cointreau
1/4 ounce of Benedictine
2 ounces of Pineapple Juice
Dash of Angostura
2 dashes of Grenadine
1/2 ounce of fresh squeezed Mexican Key Lime juice
Club Soda
Orange Slice/Cherry flag for garnish

Many old Hotels had many gin slings for their guests.
The Spence's hotel in Calcutta, Shepheard's Hotel in Cairo, and the three great Java establishments; the Harmonie Club, Hotel Nederlander, and Concordia Club. Many other hotels used Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale instead of Club Soda.

When you bought a Gin Sling at the Raffles, they would tell you, "jaga baik baik Tuan!" (translated to "take care, Mister!)

I highly suggest the Juniper Green Organic Gin. It is the purest artisanal gin on the market. Inquire from Mr. Paul Davis of Maison Jomere as to its' availability in your market. http://www.maisonjomere.com
[email protected]

T
thejab posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2005 3:52 PM

Doesn't the Sling recipe you like best vary a bit too far from what a Sling is by the addition of Cointreau, pineapple, lime, bitters, and grenadine?

It's somewhat similar to making a Mai Tai with pineapple and grenadine. It tastes nothing like the original.

Please don't it personal Rum Numb Davey, I just get bothered by major modification of classic cocktails.

Sorry, Jab, old man..... Nobody is a bigger purist than I when it comes to adult beverage. Frankly, it just taste better to me. NOTICE it was my VERSION, never proclaiming it to be THE authentic historical version (whatever the heck that means).
To satisfy you as my detractor, I'll call it Davey's Bastardized Wannabee Sling. I did not create it, however, I learned it from the man,King of Cocktails, Dale DeGroff. IN MY OPINION, Dale Degroff, is the best technical mixologist in America. I respect his craft and knowledge base. Without the reservation of Mr. Gary Reagan, who is a good friend of mine, and Tony Abou Ganim I don't know anybody who can construct finer libations. I understand that you are a fine Tiki Drink man, yourself, and I hope to one day taste your renditions of the classics, as well as, your own creations at a function of frivolity or chaos.

I have over 800 cocktail books in my collection, and they vary from finer point to minutia in detail. I do understand the need for exact clarification by name. When people have asked me to make them a VODKA Martini, it drives me crazy. I classify a SLING from its 1860 to 1900 connotation, almost indistiguishable from a Toddy. The word, Sling, is a corruption of the German Schlingen meaning to drink (or to swallow depending on where you are from in Germany).
Originally, there was ONLY one Sling made from Gin, Carbonated Water, BITTERS (always bitters), lemon juice, ice and sugar. Eventually, other types of liquor were added. The Sling predates the Tiki era of tropical cocktails by some seventy plus years, and is an American adapted drink. Asia is not, at all, the homeland of the Sling and it is not really a "Tiki" drink anymore than the Hurricane of New Orleans is by right. Sure, some Tiki bar owners and bartenders "tikified" it over the years.
I do understand your source of bother, although I don't share your angst on ingredients.

M

On 2005-08-01 12:48, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

I highly suggest the Juniper Green Organic Gin. It is the purest artisanal gin on the market. Inquire from Mr. Paul Davis of Maison Jomere as to its' availability in your market. http://www.maisonjomere.com
[email protected]

FYI: Juniper Green Organic Gin can be special ordered at BevMo. We have a customer who gets three bottles a month.

[ Edited by: martiki 2005-08-01 22:59 ]

UT

Rum Numb Davey,
As a true gin lover, I greatly appreciate that you have brought Juniper Green to my attention. I will have to give it a try.
Ray

J

thejab and Rum Numb Davey,

As you both seem to be cocktail purists, I thought you both would be interested in an article written by Ted Haigh (aka Dr. Cocktail) that can be found in Mixologist: The Journal of the American Cocktail. This is the first publication from the Museum of the American Cocktail.
Museum of the American Cocktail: Gift Shop

If you’re an MSN member (free) you can find a first draft of this article from Feb. 2002 below:
MSN Group: DrinkBoy, Sling Document

Rum Numb Davey,
I too enjoy Mr. Degroff's version of the Singapore Sling with two variations.

1. I believe you may have made a typo when you put 1/2 oz. of Cointreau, its 1/4 oz.
  2. I personally reduce the pineapple to 1 oz., leave out the grenadine (haven't made my own... yet!) and increase the bitters to more than a dash. I prefer them less sweet and more pungent.

Best of luck, Rich

Edit: Added MotAC link

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

[ Edited by: JerseyRED 2005-08-02 07:51 ]

Jersey Red & Urban Tiki..thanks for the correction, and the appreciation of the brand tip. I have yet to read "Dr. Cocktail" although I am aware of who he is, and I certainly know David Wondrich through my association with Slow Food USA. (Both of us write articles for the Snail relating to liquor, wine and cocktails). I enjoy his writing style tremendously.

Juniper Green Gin is part of the Organic Spirits Co.,Ltd. It is the ONLY gin actually made in the actual city of London at the tiny doll house Thames Distillery. A canny Scot, Mr. Christopher Parker, a member of the Worshipful Company of Distillers has crafted three brands of Organic Spirits. The first and lead brand is Juniper Green, named after the small Scottish hamlet of that name. It is exceedingly pure and is rectified in two 30 liter stills (aptly named Tom Thumb and Thumbellina, due to the diminutive size of each apparatus).

This gin is comprised of four organic botanicals, and is the ultimate cocktail and sipping gin to me. I believe I have tried every brand of Dutch, Belgian, French, and English Gin not only in the US market, but in the EU market as well. In any event, the Gin has an elegant flavor due to the lack of persistent toxins from chemicals applied to the botanicals in the growth stage. http://www.junipergreen.org/

Their is also an organic sugar cane white and spiced rum in the line from Paraguay called Papagayo Organic Rum. Produced in a remote area of Paraguay, this is the first organic rum to be made commercially. In 1993 an organic farming project was set up to help struggling sugar-cane producers in the Arroyos y Esteros region. The benefits are two fold - incomes have now improved as organic sugar-cane commands a higher price, and the environment is protected by the use of organic methods. The cane is crushed, the syrup extracted and fermented for 36 hours. Distillation follows, then filtration and finally barrel aging. Very clean, as well. I sip the rums straight quite often and flambe deserts with them. One of my favorite uses for the Papagayo Spiced Rum is to imbue some cheap bundle cigars in my Aromador for sweet after dinner smoking.

The last organic spirit in the line is an organic grain vodka called Utkin's UK 5. I asked Chris why he named his Vodka "Utkin's" and he cleverly told me it was a name not found in the London phone book. Although, it sound's very British to me. http://www.uk5.org/

I stock all three of the organic spirits at home for sipping and cocktailing and all are available in the USA. They truley are pretty much hangover free.

H

On 2005-08-02 10:19, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
They truley are pretty much hangover free.

Okay, now you have my full attention. It's off to BevMo to special order some Juniper Green.

BTW anybody reading this thread, you absolutely must pick up copies of "Mixologist: The Journal of the American Cocktail" as well as "Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails". Both excellent.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 2:09 PM

Good book and web site recommendations. I have been enjoying Drink Boy for years and have many of the books mentioned on my wish list. I can't keep up with all the good new cocktail books!

I just can't buy into the organic liquor (or wine or beer) hype, for these reasons:

1. I can't believe that the herbs and other natural products used in the manufacture of gin are going to have any residue of pesticide remaining to cause a hangover. Alchohol (too much of it) causes hangovers. And organic gin probably has as much alchohol as any gin. I've heard that cogeners (that partly come from aging in wooden barrels and are more numerous in darker booze) may make a hangover worse. But you can still get a bad hangover from clear liquor if you drink too much! And how do we know that it isn't something natural that causes hangovers to be worse? Many plants are downright poisonous to our bodies, so why couldn't a natural ingredient in gin contriubute to a hangover?

2. The company doesn't mention health benefits (probably because they can't make such a claim) but I doubt there would be enough of a quantity of pesticide residue to cause any ill effects.

3. Just because this gin was certified organic by one group doesn't mean other brands of gin don't qualify as being organic too - maybe they just haven't gone through the certification.

4. Someone mentioned the purity of the organic gin. What is purity? In the distillation of gin (as with vodka) the end result is meant to be at least 96% pure alchohol neutral spirit. With gin the flavors are then added by "compounding" natural plant products (see the link below for details). So almost all gin is very pure. And the ultimate purest liquor would have no flavor at all, so the goal of purity can go too far!

My only possible reason for buying organic spirits over other spirits would be an environmental one, as organic farming generally produces less pollution then non-organic farming, but only if I knew that Bombay or other brands were in fact using plants from non-organic farms, and I know nothing of the kind, so I'm not even convinced enough by this reason.

All that said, I would most certainly try Juniper Green gin for it's flavor, which I bet is more a result of the distiller's craft and careful selection of natural flavors more than any utilization of organic ingredients. It has won numerous awards and accolades for it's taste.

How gin is made:
http://www.ginvodka.org/history/ginproduction.html

Crossing swords again, Jab?
I am not going to argue with you about the eco-virtue of drinking organic spirits or not. If you think Bombay which is mass-produced is on par with an artisanal gin like Juniper Green (without having the benefit of even tasting it, seeing it produced, or speaking to the people who craft it) seems to me to be pretty narrow argument. You seem to be saying "all spirits of category are the same."

Your assessment of what pesticides and herbicides do magnified up the food chain is also your opinion. Scientific authorities above our pay grades argue both sides with various theories. I am sure Cargill, Monsanto, and Dow appreciate your tacit sanction of modern Agribusiness, though! I am sure Greenpeace likes my Tofu.
As for all these other organic distilleries in Earp, it is certainly a growing trend with a couple organic spirits producers launching products here (mostly, grape based and wines).

I only know it took Mr. Parker several years of ardent searching to find very stringently enforced EU certified organic botanics. Not as common as you may believer, and he pays dearly for the raw materials. No commoditized brand owned by Bacardi, Diagio, Remy Amerique, or Brown Forman would make business decisions on raw ingredient that way. Don't even kid yourself.

Mr. Parker produces products that are 100% sustainable and traceable, and learn a bit about the UK and EU organic standards before making such highly opinionated proclamation's. PURE means to me all Natural (i.e. as Mother Nature and the Ancient Kindred designed it). If your version of pure is petroleum and chloride base chemicals applied as an invisible garnish to your cocktail than that is your definition. We'll just agree to disagree on that point.

C'mon Jab, I thought you Bay Area guys were supposed to be tree huggers..whatz up! Don't debunk the stereotype..conform to the cyborg collective. I will agree that I drink too much and that does lead to hangovers. I cannot promise you that I will work on that one.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 3:32 PM

On 2005-08-02 15:10, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
Crossing swords again, Jab?

No, just giving my opinion on organic gin.

If you think Bombay which is mass-produced is on par with an artisanal gin like Juniper Green (without having the benefit of even tasting it, seeing it produced, or speaking to the people who craft it) seems to me to be pretty narrow argument.

I never compared it to Bombay. I just used them as an example in my argument that we don't really know what ingredients Bombay is made with so we can't say that it's not pure or non-organic. And read my post again - I would definitely try Juniper Green before I make any taste comparison.

C'mon Jab, I thought you Bay Area guys were supposed to be tree huggers..whatz up!
Don't debunk the stereotype..conform to the cyborg collective.

:D Good one! I don't want to get political here but it's sometimes true about many tree huggers - they make buying decisions based on some environmentalist herding mentality instead of on facts and science.

I admit I don't know anything about EU or UK organic standards. But I never claimed they weren't in fact organic - just that I wouldn't base my buying it on the word "organic" on the label.

Aw shucks, Jab...I think you and I are going to have a break through and see eye to eye. I mean we are both geezers in a Youth world, we are eccentric as mad hatters, and we both love to drink WELL. (and OFTEN)

Appreciate your points, Jab. Keep dem Jabs coming. I am just a getting thrashed by my Lady so I am sedative these days and an intolerant cuss. I am no Eco-Terrorists, but I do advocate a Slow Food lifestyle for myself in moderation. I likes my pizza, hamburgers, and chicken wings way TOO much for some Monkish life. I agree about emotional buying for philosophy sake. Isn't that why we like Tiki culture..I mean I just spent $150.00 on Ebay to buy a vintage Trader Vics Scorpion Bowl to feel happy. Think about my moronic needs. You wonder why the Fiance rides me..there is your answer.

I am a wine & spirits broker by trade, and I am sick of the whole trade of mergers, acquisitions, and gimmicks. That is why I love the Tiki life-STYLE. That is one time they had it right, and they squandered it away for Flower Power!

Let's tipple sometime soon in Oakland. We'll have a Juniper Green Singapore Sling (TRADITIONAL)... I know the top secret hidden order recipe!:lol:

I said sedative (which I need) instead of sensitive.

Sorry,
Davey

T
thejab posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 4:01 PM

On 2005-08-02 15:54, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
Aw shucks, Jab...I think you and I are going to have a break through and see eye to eye. I mean we are both geezers in a Youth world, we are eccentric as mad hatters, and we both love to drink WELL. (and OFTEN)

Let's tipple sometime soon in Oakland. We'll have a Juniper Green Singapore Sling (TRADITIONAL)... I know the top secret hidden order recipe!:lol:

:lol:

I think we probably do have more in common than it would appear! I'm looking forward to showing you the handful of bars in the East Bay where a good drink can be had!

Bottoms up!

Good..cuz when I lived in San Fran (90-95), I only went to Rickey's in San Leandro, and Trader Vic's in the E-town.
The only reason I went to Rickey's was after the non-typical Raider win to celibrate with the Nation. Yeah..I bleed Silver and Black..I am one of those!

Living in Yerba Buena was paradise for a rummy like me. Bart was too limited to where I could go in East Bay... and the I lived exactly a five minute walk from the Tonga Room and the Edinburgh Castle. No need to hop a train. I am going to be married at a friend's winery in Feb 2006.
Let's meet then, and do a crawl.

Hmmm...Now I'm definitely a "newbie" here (1st post) but no one mentions the recipe for 'Singapore Sling' found in Grog Log (supposedly from early 1900's from Raffles)

1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. cherry brandy
1/2 oz. Benedictine
1/2 oz. brandy
2 oz. gin
1 1/2 oz. club soda

I haven't tried this, and I'm not personally a fan of gin, but it sounds like it'd be good. Anyone know how accurate this recipe is? I work for a major cruise line, specifically in securing hotel space. The Raffles Singapore is one of the properties that I deal with. I am interested in whether or not the Grog Log recipe is good, but also if any of you have stories/anecdotes of the Raffles that you'd like to share.

Thanks!
Erik

P

On 2006-11-28 21:44, defaultet wrote:...but also if any of you have stories/anecdotes of the Raffles that you'd like to share.

I've got one that's easy to cut and paste from a post I made on a frequent flyer bulletin board over 6 years ago:

Several years ago I went to Singapore mainly because I had never been there before. When I checked into the Raffles Hotel they welcomed me "back!" I asked, "What are you talking about?" And they informed me that this was my third stay with them! Huh? They had my correct name and passport number.

When I got home I did some research and found out I had indeed been there twice before! I even found pictures of me at The Long Bar!

My only explanation is that I flew sooooo much on business and often did several countries in one day in Asia, that I must have just been in Singapore for one-night layovers, and never gave it any thought because I was so busy with other matters. You know...plane lands, limo to the hotel, next morning limo back to the airport...hello, I must be going?

I'm sure glad I at least remembered to pay my hotel bill!

:)

I've had many wonderful stays there since then. And some pretty great meals and Cuban cigars too! But yeah...Singapore Sling at The Long Bar? Once or twice is enough for me. But havin' a nice cold beer there while shelling peanuts on a hot humid day...that ain't bad duty. :wink:

"When I got home I did some research and found out I had indeed been there twice before! I even found pictures of me at The Long Bar!"

Very amusing story!! Are you sure you didn't have one too many of those Slings? :wink:

brace yourself. what i have to say may just offend some. and most may not care...

the siingapore sling. a drink i had never tasted until a month or so ago. what caught my interest wasnt this post. but it was a book. hunter s thompsons fear and loathing in las vegas. the name singapore sling made me crave one. i tried my first sling at the mortini monkey. excellent i thought. as most cocktails i have at the monkey. i had another last night at the monkey. again, fantastic. tonight i tried on at the forbidden island. i was hoping it would be just as tasty...the sling had slung and i dont think i will have another there. it is no wonder why the sling is left off their menu. for anyone who doubts the sling, try it at the monkey. i will definitely be refilling this prescription. one singapore sling at the martini monkey. san jose international airport, terminal C.

dr. effbaum

KC

RN Davey, as a fellow Arizona resident, about how much will a bottle of the Juniper Green run me if I can find it? I'm guessing it isn't particularly cheap, but I do love good gin. Although I'm not too crazy about martini's. I prefer it in tonic usually.

Chris

G

I finally got around to making my first Singapore Sling last night using the DrinkBoy recipe, which is here. I must say that I was quite impressed. This had a nice balance of sweet/sour which complemented the juniper of the gin. Gather the ingredients and give it a whirl. Highly recommended.

W

There's a sports bar in Singapore's Changi airport that makes a good Singapore Sling, they appear to use the 'original' recipe in one of the Beachbum's books. I liked it better than the Raffles or Singapore Airlines version. As a side note- Singapore Airlines is my favorite to travel with, so far I've been on it twice and though I can rant for a spell about what I like about them I'll just say any airline with unlimited complimentary cocktails is good in my book.

P

I recently tried the newly added Singapore Sling at Don the Beachcomber Sunset Beach and found it to be quite good. Well balanced between tart and sweet. Recommended.

MM

There was an interesting piece by David Wondrich on the origins of the Singapore Sling in a recent issue of Imbibe. A link for what may be the original recipe is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Origins-of-the-Singapore-Sling

domo arigato, Mr. RobaMoto.

Lmao @ 1903 local reference to “pink slings for pale people,”

okay, just mixed up and tried out what Wondrich attributes as the original recipe, and wow, that's quite different from what I've been mixing all these years (which is probably what Gator Rob's old post broken-linked to).

I think the modern adaptation is better. The article's predecessor version is far drier, pungent, and herbal/floral than the modern version-- primarily due to removing the pineapple juice.

D

I made one yesterday -- my first time -- using Chris McMillian's recipe. Very interesting flavors -- quite tasty. Not a drink I'd want every day, though.

I think that's the contemporary version as published by the Raffles Hotel, and shown in GatorRob's old post. I think it's a damn fine drink.

D

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I believe in differs only in a couple of the measures.

Tasty, but a lot of work.

C

Someone mentioned this recipe above.. Here you go for those who haven't seen this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABl4syZQih0

[ Edited by: cvcgolf 2011-09-23 17:39 ]

Just again tried what Wondrich attributes as the original recipe- liked it better this time-- followed the instructions better, esp. add water last and only stir briefly then add the Ango.

nice drink.

less refreshing, but more interesting than the modern update.

Pages: 1 34 replies