Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Custom Tiki Farm mug to raise money for TC members in New Orleans - Feedback Needed!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

I can certainly understand considering that other, more expeditious donation processes may be a good idea too, but I really doubt this is a zero sum game with most people's budgets. Alternative ideas notwithstanding, how could this possibly not be a good idea? It can only help a few TC'ers who are down on their luck, and it gives participants a mug that they will probably remain particularly fond of.

Put me in the group that thinks this is an excellent idea. I would vote to see a limited edition that might inspire more generous donations/prices from those in a position to do so, and also an unlimited less expensive edition that anyone who wants to participate could afford and which could keep providing assistance over the longer term.

[ Edited by: monkeyskull 2005-09-07 00:35 ]

Helping others out + tiki mug = Good!

It really is that simple!

I happen to think that Baxdogs idea is awsome...
"Maybe it should be run like a KCET telethon?
0-25 you get some swizzles
25-50 you get swizzles and a mug
50-75 you get swizzles, a mug and a tiki central grand membership
75-100 you get, blah, blah, and some PJ stuff
100-200 blah, blah, blah and something
200-and above blah, blah, blah, blah, and a limited edition mug
You brain children can work out the details"

A computhon auction of some sort would be a killer way to create a long term way of benifiting those in need....
I plan on participating fully in any type of relief auction, mug sale...
Hell I have a biological half sister who is locked up down in Poplarville MS, who is missing her 2 kids, So I have been going between her and my biological mother trying to coordinate things so they can help try and find them... Aparently Missisippi is in worse shape than we've seen, Everyone is looking at NO and forgeting the rest of the gulf coast states that got walloped.
I've already given at church, am sending a care package down to her... (Apparently things in state run facilities are not the best, never being a guest of the state I have no idea).
I look forward to being able to participate in helping out our Tiki brothers and sisters in any way possible....
Sincerly
Rustbeltcat on TC
Von Yinzer of the FOM

The wider the marketing,the greater potential for increased results - Maybe TikiFarm should also approach potential borderline tiki establishments, including:

Islands
Rain Forest Cafe
ABC Stores
Mirage Hotel

T

I'm all for helping Tikicentralites in need in whatever form this takes. However if it becomes a moderately priced mug they would make some great Xmas presents. I'm in either way.

D

This is wonderful feedback, I hope this is what Holden was looking for. Mahalo to EVERYONE who has contributed!

M

Thanks for the follow-up and support. We're working with designs right now by JP to finalize the mug. There are a few things needed to make the design finalized but as PJ is in a very tough place right now, it will take a little more time than usual. We'll keep you posted with info as it becomes available.
Mahaloz,
Holden

My 2 cents is I think that a "Special" mug is a fantastic idea!!! While reading this post I went over to PJ's website everything there is so amazing! It would seem that a mug would, as others have written, fill an immediate need for capital to get PJ up an running again. However, it would also show that surviving a great tragedy did not destroy the art & light of Louisiana. Houses and business can be destroyed but the essential spirit that lives inside does not have to dim. So, the mug can be a showcase of PJ's art and all the other TC people in Louisiana's joy in tiki's. I know that first the focus must be on survival but, we should not forget that life needs to go on. My suggestion is that the mug be a "celebration" of Tiki and the spirit it represents. As for selling it I think that having something positive occur because of something bad would make it even more special, to me at least!!!

This is a very good idea and I hope it relieves some of the pain caused by this tragedy. There should be something on the mug acknowledging this event (Katrina) so that the non-tikiphiles can identify with it's purpose and will therefore be more inclined to purchase it. I don't like the idea of a "limited edition" mug as this term is usually synonymous with large amounts of $$$ and may deter some from buying. I vote for one universal mug so us lower in the financial food chain don't feel bad or are looked down upon for buying the "regular edition". I don't want to sound like a scrooge but some of us have given to the relief effort already in the past couple of weeks while still having to provide for ourselves and will not be able to buy an expensive mug for a while. I understand and applaud the motives of Holden and the others and hope this is wildly successful, I just want the mug to be attainable (heck, I might buy two). No offense, just my two cents.

BTW-I was checking out Jade's site and found something I like. Is she still in business/able to do business or completely wiped-out?

Holden et al.... Great idea! It's a win-win-win all the way around! $$=victim relief+cool mug+knowing you helped....It has been suggested to make a limited edition of the mug...I think that might limit the amount of money that can be raised...250 x $100 or 2000 x $25 ??? In the name of charity/hurricane relief I'm positive you could sell the concept to ALL the retail outlets that carry Tiki Farm products now PLUS all the TC population (how many??? and how many would buy more than one?) AND all the companies specializing in Hawaiiana. The pressure is really on the larger establishments to get involved through either cash or other donations. Just think about the sales generated when the News Media get wind of what the TIKI SUB-CULTURE is doing to help out......FREE ADVERTISING, TOLL FREE NUMBER, VISA/MC/PAYPAL ACCEPTED......You might have to run another 2000 OR MORE!!!
Just my thoughts....In any event, you can count on WooHooWahine and I to be involved!!!
SoccerTiki

Limited edition mug or not, I think it's a great idea. Count me in to help our TC peeps directly. I would also like to mention that if you want to help the general population of New Orleans, that 90% of the money that Oxfam takes in goes to the cause.

I'm not affiliated with Oxfam, but I like their odds.

A

I'm the new kid on the block, and I don't really know anybody yet, except through their posts, but I would really like to pitch in! I'm a student on a budget, but I could scrape together $75-100 for a special mug.

Right now I'm battening down the hatches in anticipation of Ophelia, who should be hitting my neck of the woods in a few hours or so. DEFINITELY won't be anything like Katrina, (said while rubbing the kittentiki's tummy for luck) but we're in for a good soaking and a few lost tree limbs...oh well, it's the price we pay to live here!

Thanks so very much to Holden for volunteering, and to everybody else for supporting this fabulous idea!

amiotiki

On 2005-09-13 19:54, amiotiki wrote:
I'm the new kid on the block, and I don't really know anybody yet, except through their posts, but I would really like to pitch in! I'm a student on a budget, but I could scrape together $75-100 for a special mug.

Right now I'm battening down the hatches in anticipation of Ophelia, who should be hitting my neck of the woods in a few hours or so. DEFINITELY won't be anything like Katrina, (said while rubbing the kittentiki's tummy for luck) but we're in for a good soaking and a few lost tree limbs...oh well, it's the price we pay to live here!

Thanks so very much to Holden for volunteering, and to everybody else for supporting this fabulous idea!

amiotiki

Thanks Amiotiki! Hope the hatches are battened down and I hope you avoid Ophelia! I really appreciated your post and all of the others that are helping us put the PJ mug into development. We're nearly ready to sculpt but want to discuss it with PJ first and then... well, we're on it!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Hi,

I wanted to update everybody on the project and throw-out the proposed roll-out. PJ's design is finalized and Squid is doing the sculpting. He's nearly done with the sculpt and we should have a wax preview by this weekend or no later than early next week.

There are a lot of great suggestions on how to make this happen and I really appreciate them all. Ultimately, we want to get the largest check possible to PJ but we need to keep the sale somewhat straightforward as we've got a lot going on currently at Tiki Farm and I need to keep steering the boat forward. There are a lot of great ideas for ways to add on to the sales and other sideline things to do to raise money.

What would work the best for us (and PJ) is to do a pre-book online sale of the mugs. This way, we could get the funds to PJ immediately. I am going to pay for all costs associated with the project in advance of the project's completion. This will incent my factory to give this project priority. That's especially important as we're coming into the Holiday season and this is my California kiln's busies time of the year.

I'm proposing producing 500 mugs and selling the mugs for $40 each with 100% of the profits going directly to PJ. I've got a detailed cost breakdown on the project and I propose that I share that privately with a few key TC people so that everybody is comfortable with this project. I'm even contemplating bringing in a licensed disinterersted 3rd party specializing in such matters to review this. I want everybody to feel confident that 100% of the profit goes to PJ.

I'd like some help in spreading the word wherever possible. 500 mugs is our largest limited launch and at $40 each, the good will nature of the project may take a back seat for some who are on a restricted budget. I will likely announce the sale both online and through our opt-in email list once I've received glazed 1st article samples that must first be approved by PJ. I can tell you that this will be a 3-tone mug with the colors being green, purple & gold (Mardi Gras themed colors). As for the design itself, instead of discussing it, please wait for the wax sculpt photos.

After receiving the 1st article samples, it will take us a few days to build the web promotion and at that point, I'll post back to TC and through our opt-in email. I'll give the sale a solid 1 week pre-notification to make sure we capture as many possible TC'ers and non-TC collectors as possible. The production of the mugs will take approximately 60-75 days to complete after the close of the sale.

We can then discuss future projects (Ohana artist customized one-of-a-kinds, different collaborations, ongoing relief mugs, value added tiered sales, etc.) but for now, this is what I have to offer. Your feedback is greatly appreciated on this.

Mahaloz,
Holden

P

I've been away for a coupla weeks so missed a lot of the disaster unfolding. I'd be glad to help out by buying a mug, if it helps in any way.

B

Sounds like you have done a mountain of work and planning so far. I love the whole package and I like the idea of the pre-book. Keep up the good work. I'm in for a mug.
HappyHappyHappy.

I applaud Holden and all the others at Tiki Farm. But why share the cost breakdown with a few "key" people on TC? I mean if this is 100% for profit, why hide from the masses, who will be paying the money, the details? Just curious but please don't take the wrong way...but alas I'm sure there will be a few that do!

Again, having my close family in the affected area...Thanks!

TM

Holden, you're the man.

Ditto that.

And green...purple...gold?!? That sounds totally lovely and unusual, too. Now I really can't wait!

H

Well done, Holden -- it's easy to sit around and talk about what can be done, but it takes a whole 'nother breed of animal to actually make it a reality.

On 2005-09-22 18:15, tikisobayli wrote:
I applaud Holden and all the others at Tiki Farm. But why share the cost breakdown with a few "key" people on TC? I mean if this is 100% for profit, why hide from the masses, who will be paying the money, the details? Just curious but please don't take the wrong way...but alas I'm sure there will be a few that do!

Again, having my close family in the affected area...Thanks!

Hi,
It's trade protected information that has taken me years to tune down and define - it's very coveted information that has entailed hundreds of hours of work.
Holden

T

"Action is eloquence."

Highest regards for those making this happen. And furthermore, "YAY!!!"

A

You can absolutely count me it, Holden! I can't wait to see the design, and the colors ROCK! I have no problem with not knowing the financial breakdown - how a company formulates its bottom line is proprietary info that competitors would love to get their hands on.

In any case - keep me posted!

amiotiki

V

count on me as well....

If this is the place to say count me in well..."Count me In"

Nice work Dawn Tiki and Holden! I love to see this community working for each other!

Count me in.

S

I'll do all I can to spread the word around the 'net.

Count me in for one!

I'll take one of those !!!!

Count me in for at least one. Glad to see PJ getting support in this manor.

Eagerly awaiting the start of the pre-sale and to see the prototype. Count me in as well for a mug or two.

I would also love to be on the list for one of these!

Please count me in for 2.

Whats going on with this Mug??? I want one if there is one available!!!

ST

I too am interested in obtaining/wondering what happened to this mug

Hi,
All of the information is posted on the Tiki Farm website at http://www.tikifarm.com. The online sale is Wednesday, November 30th at 6:00pm pst. Please be sure to check out the site as it's got all of the necessary information.
Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - Fixed link to Tiki Farm site - 2005-11-23 13:07 ]

Way to go Holden & PJ. Love the mug and I love the Tiki spirit. Now... LET'S GET READY FOR THE 30TH!!!!

F

I'm there. Nice work PJ and SB.

P

Hey! Where is the Tiki Farm website? It looks like it has been hijacked! Or maybe the Tiki Farm webhosting has expired? It looks like this is a webhosting site. Hey, Holden, I think you had better look into this.

On 2005-11-23 13:06, PiPhiRho wrote:
Hey! Where is the Tiki Farm website? It looks like it has been hijacked! Or maybe the Tiki Farm webhosting has expired? It looks like this is a webhosting site. Hey, Holden, I think you had better look into this.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm on it!
Holden

H

It's fine -- when Holden typed the url, a "." got caught up in it. I've fixed the link so it works properly.

PJ's mug is fantastic! Holden, do you have any square or banner ads for it? I'd like to run ads on my sites. I can whip one up if you don't have one already.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-11-23 13:10 ]

On 2005-11-23 13:09, Humuhumu wrote:
It's fine -- when Holden typed the url, a "." got caught up in it. I've fixed the link so it works properly.

PJ's mug is fantastic! Holden, do you have any square or banner ads for it? I'd like to run ads on my sites. I can whip one up if you don't have one already.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-11-23 13:10 ]

Thanks Humu!!

T

The mug turned out beautifully - Can't wait for the 30th.

I do have a question for the computer literate folks here. How come some stuff appears when you google and other stuff doesn't? One of my favorite searches is "limited edition tiki mug" and I have found lot's of mug sites that way. Earlier you were suggesting/discussing ways to get the word out that the mugs were going to be available, when, where etc.

So my question is how do you get this to show up on google? Will it magically appear? Or is there a way to engineer it so that Tiki Mug hunters who aren't TC members can find the mug and know that it is a Purple Jade extremely limited edition very special tiki mug?

Thanks!

I'm curious why there is limit of 2 sets per person? It seems like more money would be raised if people could order as many as they wanted.

I don't want this to sound critical of Tiki Farm, I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just wondering....

I should also have said they are a GREAT looking set of mugs, and I can't wait to place my order. I hope a huge number of people buy them to help Purple Jade.

On 2005-11-23 18:51, ookoo lady wrote:
I'm curious why there is limit of 2 sets per person? It seems like more money would be raised if people could order as many as they wanted.

I don't want this to sound critical of Tiki Farm, I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just wondering....

Hi,
From a business perspective, Tiki Farm has to watch out for people who will buy countless mugs and then offer them up purely for selfish reasons on eBay, ultimately diminishing the value of our other limited edtion and regular edition mugs.
Holden

I was rappin' with Power of the Tiki this evening and we both agreed it's an awesome idea to keep this open ended edition. BTW PJ, awesome job on the mugs. I like all the symbolism. Really makes it special. Kudos to all involved. See you on Wednesday!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies