Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moondance

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies

Thank you, Moondance... You're doing just FINE! Keep up the great work...

B

Thanks for sharing your tikis Wes, they really look nice. The design is perfect for using your straight chisels. When you get a few gouges, you will see your work change. Keep up the good work.

WELOME MOONDANCE.NICE WORK.

R

Wes , i love that mask. Great clean lines . Do some more just like it.

Here's a mask I roughed out with a chainsaw in August. I used a palm sander on it today(with one hand). I put a couple of spray on coats of satin spar to seal it.

It's pine and is 10" wide and 27" tall. I had to do something today to quit whinning about my damaged hand.
Thanks for looking.
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 6:16 PM

Great job Wes! That is top notch. Man, if you rough 'em out like that and then use your chisels to detail you could make some pretty heavy duty stuff! Bring it on!

-Gman

B

Sometimes its nice to bring up old work that wasn't finished and finish it with all the knowledge you have learned. These were early pieces of yours and you have progressed beyond them but you did an excellent job finishing them. Keep it up. your talent is beginning to really show through.

nice job, Wes!

Thanks for the comps GMAN, Ben and Palama.
I needed to do something beside whine about my hand.
Today more feeling has returned to my fingers. It still bleeds when I do something stupid like try to open a jar. I'm stoked about the swelling going down and the feeling coming back. I'll be back to carving soon. I see the doctor tomorrow morning.
Wes

That mask has great clean lines . Hope all go's well at Dr.

Well I finally finished this Moai. My hand is much better but not back to normal. Here are some photos of the process

2 coats of spray Polyurethane (Satin)

Thanks for looking!
Wes

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-10-28 08:53 ]

I'm almost done with a reproduction of Finkdaddy wall lamp. I went to Oceanic website to buy one but couldn't get to it. Plus I am very low on cashish this month due to the kitchen refacing.
Here's Finkdaddy's sweet wall lamp:

Here's my attempt at what I thing it is. It's 12" high and 11" wide.

My daughter Devyn made the macrame hemp strap to cover the top & bottom of the fasteners of the bamboo.

I had to make a cut out in the back to replace the bulbs:

Also I covered the wood with aluminum to protect from the heat of the bulbs.

The start of the wiring:

Next is the wiring to be cleaned up and the defused white covering for the front and the bamboo to be installed.
The wood I used was poplar for the back and mahogany for the top and bottom half circles. I hope to be done by Sunday. I'm putting my base kitchen cabinets and counter top back in today.
Thanks for looking!
Wesley

That is so great! If I did all over again, I would try and do them myself too. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

BTW, your tikis rock. I love the last moai and that cool wall mask!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2005 3:37 PM

Moon,

Cool project. Keep us updated. I like the joint work....I bet it's nice and strong?

-Gman

Finkdaddy, thanks, I was hoping you would be alright with me copying that.
Gman- thanks also, it strong. I go overboard when building anything.
I should get back to that project this week as I am still finishing the kitchen. It's so slow when I have to work 6 days a week.
Wes

Your stuff is looking real good! I love the Moai, he looks full of intelligence!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 6:35 PM

Moon,

I hear ya, overboard is the only way to go. Let us know how it goes..

-Gman

B

Moondance, I'm Really glad to see your hand is better enough to do some nice art work. That lamp is great and well engineered to boot. The Moais look great too. You should almost be well enough for some Serious carving soon.

moondance that mask and tiki are so fine!
I'm really interested in the lamp makings too. I love a good lamp and to make it yourself adds more meaning to your room.
Things that I have made or that friends have made for me really adds that something special that makes a room unique.
Thanks for sharing!

M

GMAN, BEN & Exotica-
Thanks for the props. I should have the light finished soon as the kitchen is almost completed.
wes

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 5:03 PM

Moondance,

Get out of the kitchen and back in the garage where you belong! What are you up to up there? Any progress on the lamp or a new tiki? Let us see....

-G

M

Gman-
It's 12:35 and I'm on my way to bed. I have another 4 or 5 hours left of kitchen duty. At least I'm using my carpentry skills these last few weeks. The pay is bad but Annie is very happy :) So that makes me happy.
The lamp is almost complete. I need to apply the hemp that my daughter macrame for it. I'll post photos tomorrow!!
Time to crash
wes

Still buttoning up the kitchen job but I was still able to finish the wall sconce and it is completed. This is my interpretation of Finkdaddys picture and here are the results.

Wesley

Cool light Moondance, you did a real nice job on it. I be it would pretty sweet with a blue or orange light.

Chongolio

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 5:45 PM

Nice job Wes! That looks tight. Thanks for sharing.

-Gman

B

Love the lamp wes, goes ell with the moon.
Looks like your hand is just about 100%.
Did you find chisel bits for your carver? You will love it when you do.

Nice job on the light, Wes. how's the hand coming along?

Chongolio, GMAN, Benzart & Palama-
Thanks for the props, I enjoyed making the lamp but it's a little too big (12'X 12"). I want to do a smaller set (8"X10")
My hand looks great, just a scar. Still some pain when I stretch it. I'm fine, lession learned.
Wes

C

Nice lamp Wes!I returned on Friday night,got into LAX at 10:30pm and it took over and hour for the baggage to come down the chute.Home at 1am saturday .Still in a daze!Kauai was great,the beach was 50 steps from the house.It was my 4th trip to that island and we will make a 5th.capo

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-11-13 18:28 ]

Capo-
I thought maybe you decided to stay, glad your back.
I finished waterproofing and painting the concrete Moai last night here are the photos:

I hope these don't offend anyone as they aren't exactly as you would find in Rano Raraku.
Wesley

C

I love it!!I can't wait to see photos of him spitting!
Kauai is so peaceful(even with a 3 and a 6 year old on board)the transition back to reality is tough.I searched for tikis/carvers and found only a couple of places that had some very non traditional types.The local Hawaiians are not into tikis,or war clubs or anything related,so what that means in relation to tradition I do not know? The Aloha spirit is very alive and on Halloween we took the kids trick or treating and what a wonderful experience,grandmas were set up on the porch handing out candy.The kids loved every second of it.I took many photos and I will post some of an ancient KU temple we found.Capo

I happen to like it.. (no chest beating or smack talking expressed or implied :) )

Nice finish. Or, "way to plant it", as they say in gymnastics, and/or volleyball.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 4:55 PM

Moon,

Any updates on that carving you were working on when you stabbed yourself? Let's see the pics....I know you're chipping away up there.... :tiki:

-Gman

You have some fine work here, Moondance. That sconce is a fine piece too. Keep up the fine work!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 7:20 PM

Moon,

I hate to see you leave, but I understand. Please keep me informed of your progress by email. You can always see my posts here if you continue to visit. Contact me if I can help.

-Greg

I'm still here Greg. Done with posting for a while. Still carving away.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 8:17 PM

GREAT! Check my new post. Whattaya got going up there?

Hey moon, don't go away. some of us like to see what you got cookin'. Feel free to post away!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 22, 2005 5:53 AM

Ive missed this thread for a while! I really love that plank mask you did - a really clean and tasteful style to it. I also love that lamp - funky on a stick.

Very cool moai! He is very stoic looking, like he has a lot on his mind but has decided not to say anything. Lots of personality. Mahalo for sharing!

Gman, Ben, Poly, Hewey, Finkdaddy, Sam & Raffer-
Thank you for the encouragement & kudos. I have a Papua mask I'm working on and should post it tomorrow.
moon

Moon, I love the Moai. Please post some pics once you've got it hooked up with the pump & all. I could just see that bad boy in my garden! The mask sounds like a cool project also.

A-A

Here are a couple photo's of the papua mask. It's 13" long and it's Redwood. I cut out the lips and inlayed Cherry wood. It took about 2.5 hours to complete. I will finish with a clear satin finish. My computer is taking a dive for some reason so I'll post the finished product when I can. I started on another Moai. I'm about an hour into it. Happy Thanksgiving Day all!

Moon

B

Really nice effect Moon I love the originality. Looks great on the floor too.

Thanks Ben! That ebpny piece of yours is looking great.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2005 1:28 PM

Moon,

Glad you decided to continue to play with the rest of us. That mask looks real good. So clean and tight... :) As Ben said, it looks great against the hardwood floor. Post more pics when you computer shakes out.

-Gman

C

It looks like the masks should be set into the floor. Super clean look!!Moai project?Capo

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies