Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moondance

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies

M

Here's a couple of Bamboo Wall Lamps I just finished. They are smaller than the first 8" wide X 12" tall.

Also here is a Moai that I have been working on, it almost finished. 13" tall and not very thick, around 2".

Moon

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-12-04 18:52 ]

J

I love those bamboo wall lamps!!!!
JohnnyP

M

Thanks Johnny, I appreciate it. If you want I can do a step by step of how I make them. There easy, just time.
moon

R

I would love to see a step by step of how those are made .I have some really ugly lights in my office and something like these would be a great change. Nice work on the carvings too.

M

Loki_
Here are some photos of the carving bench. It's made of 2X6's and 2X4's. It was scrap lumber so I don't care if I cut it up. It has a few chainsaw nicks.

The bags I was telling you about too. The are filled with crushed corncob. You can put sand in them instead of the corn.

Here's a couple photos of my concrete Moai. He's chillin' out for sure. That temp is correct 28.

We've had 2 snows all ready. Baaaa!

Moon

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor
without having victims.

• Harriet Woods

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-12-06 16:38 ]

C

A snow capped moai,never thought I would see that!!I send you best regards.Capo

L
Loki posted on Tue, Dec 6, 2005 5:56 PM

Thanks Moon. Give the Moai a few rum drinks will ya... he looks miserable.:drink:

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Dec 6, 2005 7:01 PM

I like seeing the snow on my Moai too. They are made out of cold stone and probably don't mind it as much as the rest of us. The snow creates different hats for different days.

J

Moondance,
I would like to see the step by step on the lamps. They look like they would be fun to make.

Tikis with snow is all too common up here. I wonder if there is a cure.
JP

M
motiki posted on Wed, Dec 7, 2005 5:25 PM

Moon,

Just getting caught up since Hukilau, and I really dig your stuff! We are going to have to get together, I visit New Hope a few times in the summer. Maybe I can buy you a Pop in Lahaska, Pa. at Hart's Pub.

Mahaloz, Mo

MoTiki-
Our we can go to J&P and sit out on the deck on the Delaware.
Moon

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 5:58 AM

Thanks for posting the pics of the carving bench. Those masks are looking really cool too.

Here's that sort of step by step of the lamps. First I used mahogany flooring left over from a job and glued a couple pieces together so I had the width to cut out the half circle. Then I glued over night the half circle to each end of the back piece.

Note I have a square marked out to cut. Annie reminded me to do it so we can change the light bulb. I wouldn't of thought of it myself.

I also applied metal flashing to the inside so if got hot there would be no problem and also to reflect the light better.

I used two candle lo bra sockets because it is a big light 13" high X 12" wide. They come in two packs at Depot and singles at Lowes. They are 7 watts each.
Now for the cover of the screws my daughter got involved and macrame some hemp for me. It was a simple knot configuration. There are sites that show how its done.

after all the wiring is done you can cover the front what I did was use rubber cement on the edges of the half circles. Then put the rubber cement on the light diffusing covers edges. Let the cement dry totally and then press on. For the bamboo I drilled it were it would be connected to the half circles edge. I used drywall nails and carefully nailed them. After all were in place I hot glued the hemp to cover the nails.

Job completed! I hope this helps all who have asked. Any questions feel free to ask!
Moon

J

Thanks Moondance!
JP

Jp-
Thank you, How's the weather in MI? We having a heat wave (40). :)
Moon

M

Moon,

You name the place and I will be there. PM me this summer!

B

Very Nice step by step there Moon. It takes a bit of extra time but is SO worth it to all us who are interested in trying one of your lamps.Way to Go

J

It was warming up here also when you posted (it reached freezing), however now its cold again. I was staining tonight outside and its 12 degrees F. I need to move. Thanks for the step by step. Another project to add to the list, this one looks like fun.
JP

B

MoonDance, Where are you hiding.. Haven't seen you around since the 23, just before X-mas. Hope all is OK and no harm has become of you and yours. We Miss YOU!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 8:42 AM

Moon,

Where ya been? Is everything OK?

-Gman

KK

Aloha bruddah!
Nice work cuz! I need a few of da kine lamps like that for the house...Yours look pono and the step-by-step was great...You stay new hope, PA? All I know of New hope is from the band Ween..Those bruddah's are pupule! Love 'em! keep up the good work brah...

Malama Pono!

B

Welcome Back Moondance. Been working on any tikis??

J

Glad to see you are back!
JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 6:33 PM

OK, a six-footer....I'm all eyes...and ears if you wanna chat. Glad to have you back.

-G

BEN, JOHNNY P & GMAN-
Thanks for the welcome, you guys have always been so encouraging. It means alot.
All of your work has progressed so much, I've missed alot.
I'll start posting photo's soon.
ray

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies