Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Savage Renewal: SoCal Tiki Apartment Complexes

Pages: 1 23 replies

Here is my submission:

A few weekends ago I was out in SoCal for a business trip, but came out a day early to do some more tiki hunting for my guide book. I meet some fellow TC'ers for lunch at the Bahooka on Sunday (thanks to Ooko Lady, Krustiki, TikiBird and UtopianDreem for coming out) and then did some exploring of apartment complexes. Later that afternnon, I stopped in at the main branch of the LA County Library downtown LA and spent a few hours down in the local history section. What a reource! I scanned through old phonebooks and city directories and found 90 potentially unexplored tiki apartment complexes in LA, OC and San Diego. I don't know anything about these listings, they may still be there just waiting to be discovered, or there may be a freeway in its place. So this is a call out to SoCal TC'ers to do some exploring. If you find anything from this list, let us know, even if it is gone (so we can delete it from the list). Happy hunting.

1968 LA Phonebook

1. Bali: 5020 Rodeo Rd., Los Angeles
  2. Moana Apartment Hotel: 2877 San Marino, Los Angeles
  3. Seven Seas: 3041 Iowa, South Gate
  4. Song of the Islands motor Inn: 4560 W. Saluson, Los Angeles
  5. The Tiki: 10225 Atlantic Ave., South Gate

1976 LA Phonebook
6. The Islander: 6343 N. Rosemead, San Gabriel
7. The Pele: 10024 Valley, El Monte
8. Kona Kai: 20301 Cohasset, Canoga Park
9. Tiki-Tai: 20415 Anza Ave., Torrence

1967 Downey Phonebook
10. Oasis: 10640 Parrot, Downey
11. Outrigger: 7860 Burns, Downey
12. Reef: 9242 Telegrapg Rd., Downey
13. Toma Lai: 11560 Paramont Blvd., Downey

1968 Long Beach City Directory
14. Aloha: 819 E. 4th St., Long Beach
15. Aloha: 6803 Long Beach Blvd.
16. Bali Hai: 737 W. 5th St.
17. Beachcomber: 1716 Locust Ave.
18. Driftwood: 939 Pacific Ave.
19. Driftwood: 2136 Gaviota Ave.
20. Hale Kai: 703 Medio St.
21. Hawaii Kai Imperial Apartments: 1065 E. 3rd St.
22. Imperial Kona Apartments: 1318 E. 2nd St.
23. The Islander: 6530 Cherry Ave.
24. The Islander: 1801 E. Wardlow Rd.
25. Ka-Li: 227 W. 14th St.
26. Kauii Imnperial Apartments: 2049 E. 3rd St.
27. Kauii Lanai: 1200 E. 52nd St.
28. Keena Kai: 3121 Mariquita St.
29. K’Lanie: 1126 E. 5th St.
30. Kon-Tiki: 1220 E. 52nd St.
31. Kona Imperial Apartments: 1633 E. 1st St.
32. Kona San-D: 80 Bennett Ave.
33. Kona-Kai: 1210 E. 52nd St.
34. Lanai: 3297 E. Artesia Blvd.
35. Luau Manor: 5663 Cherry Ave.
36. Moana: 6560 Long Beach Blvd.
37. Moana Imperial Apartments: 1235 Appleton St.
38. The Reef: 2735 E. Broadway St.
39. Tahitian Village: 1104 Dawson Ave.
40. Tiki: 6641 Hammond Ave.
41. Tradewinds: 801 E. 1st St.
42. Tradewinds: 1659 South St.
43. Tradewinds No. 2: 120 Alamitos Ave.
44. Waikiki: 230 Termino Ave.
45. Waikiki: 1727 Pine Ave.

1984 San Diego Phonebook
46. Bali Hai: 3162 Monroe Ave.
47. Hale Moana: 825 Missouri St.
48. Kailua: 4922 Santa Cruz Ave.
49. Kon-Tiki: 4146 Oregon St.
50. MaiKai Loa: 4360 Iowa St.
51. MaKai: 4276 Altadena Ave.
52. Moana: 7417 Olivetas Ave., La Jolla
53. Nani Kai: 2750 Figueroa Blvd.
54. Tahia: 4639 E. Point Loma Blvd.
55. Tahiti Palms: 4570 Wilson Ave.
56. Tahitian: 1415 Grand Ave.
57. Taiwai Village: 4580 Illinois St.
58. Tiki: 1553 S. 40th St.
59. Tiki: 1066 Tourmaline St.
60. Tiki: 4166 Udall St.
61. Wali Hai: 5163 Long Branch Ave.

1962 Santa Ana Phonebook
62. Royal Hawaiian: 2313 Center

1960 Fullerton Phonebook
63. Bali Hai: 2017/2025 E. Whiting Ave.

1963 Anaheim Phonebook
64. Ana Lanai: 1136 W. Fay Lane
65. Hawaiian: 1650 W. Pampas Lane
66. Kona Gardens: 205 S. Western
67. Mauna Loa Gardens: 1531/1541 E. La Palma Ave.
68. Samoan: 1675 W. Pampas Lane
69. Tahitian Gardens: W. Ronneya Drive & N. West

1966 Anaheim Phonebook
70. Lakewood Lanai: 8840 Lindell, Downey
71. Nani-Loa Isle: 217 S. Knott Ave.
72. Tradewinds: 2131 S. Mallul Dr.
1966 Orange County Phonebook
73. Bali Hai Gardens: 521 S. Lyon, Santa Ana
74. Beachcomber: 533 Victory Ave., San Clemente
75. Blue Lagoon: 1201 S. Gilbert, Fullerton
76. Mauna Loa Gardens: 1531 E. La Palma, Anaheim
222 W. Fir, Brea
1100 N. Lemon, Fullerton
1311 E. Washington Pl., Santa Ana
77. Mauna Loa: 1223 Evergreen, Fullerton
78. Mauna Loa: 1300 Las Riendas Dr., La Habra
79. Na Moku Aloha: 1959 Maple, Costa mesa
80. Tahitian: 1800 E. Heim, Orange
81. Tiki-Hai: 8052 Larson, Garden Grove
82. Kings Kauii: 1602 N. King, Santa Ana

1971 Orange County Phonebook
83. Aloha: 9632 Ball Rd., Anaheim
84. Kona Sands: 2456 W. Orangethorpe, Fullerton
85. Mauna Loa Hidden Village: 3131 Laurel, Fullerton
86. Mouna Kea Gardens: 3601 W. Orange, Anaheim
87. Samoan: 1675 W. Pampas Lane., Anaheim
88. Tiki Loa: 217 S. Knott, Anaheim
89. Tropical Isle: 2406 Commwealth, Fullerton
90. Samoan: 320 Guineda Lane, Anaheim

[ Edited by: zulumagoo 2005-09-10 17:24 ]

Really great job Mike,

It’s amazing how many of these places were around back in the day, I can just imagine how long the list would have been back in 1963.
When I get some time off I’ll have to take look around some of those San Diego addresses.

I think I may know about two of the locations listed “The Pele; 10024 Valley, El Monte” is the same Pele brochure you see in BOT (if I’m not mistaken). I used to live just down the block from there, the last time I drove by it was in pretty bad shape and no Tikis.
Another one I lived down road from “The Islander; 6343 N Rosemead, San Gabriel” it’s a mile or so north of the Bahooka (again if I’m not mistaken) that place used to be gigantic, it was de-Tikified way back in the 80’s, but the building still remains.

Again great job, it is really inspiring to come on here and see so much research and time devoted to one of my favorite Tiki subjects.

My very best Alohas,

Bosko

My thanks as well, Mike, for the great research. I'll go ahead and start exploring those addresses. I believe the Samoan in Anaheim is gone. I'm intrigued about the Tiki Tai on Anza in Torrance. Doctor Z and I drive by an apartment on our Saturday garage sale runs that we swear must have been tiki back in the day. Just the A-Frame is left. That could be your Tiki Tai. Have to check it out.

Sabu

T

Wow! Great research Zulu! Really nice job.... How did you find the apartment complexes in those old phone books? Did you just start with a list of Polynesian sounding names & start browsing?

Historic Yellow Pages under apartments, then just start reading for exotic names. They pretty much jump out at you after a while.

Historic city directories are an even better source. Most directories have a section in the front of the book that lists all multi-family/apartment complexes with the directory boundaries for the year of the survey. You can usually find historic city directories at the main branch of the local city library, just ask the reference librarian.

Fun Fun Fun! Thanks for the A-frame fix, really good work, ZM! Just imagine these would have been documented in their heyday...I am glad I got to the "Exotic Isle" before it got de-tikified!
I wonder: Have you found the "Quiet Village" apartments yet !? :o

Since I work on E. La Palma in Anaheim, I checked out the closest apartment complex on the list today at lunch. About six miles from my office:

The Mauna Loa Gardens

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-12 17:09 ]

DZ

On 2005-09-12 00:29, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
My thanks as well, Mike, for the great research. I'll go ahead and start exploring those addresses. I believe the Samoan in Anaheim is gone. I'm intrigued about the Tiki Tai on Anza in Torrance. Doctor Z and I drive by an apartment on our Saturday garage sale runs that we swear must have been tiki back in the day. Just the A-Frame is left. That could be your Tiki Tai. Have to check it out.

Sabu

Well, I went by and took a closer look at 20415 Anza today, and sho 'nuff, Sabu - that IS the place we're always talkin' about! However, it looks like it's been a while since it was the Tiki-Tai: despite numerous very large and old Birds-of-Paradise and assorted palms, it is now known as the "Lilyanza". Naturally I wanted to take a look around, but the place is absurdly over-fortified with bars, gates and such. I hung around for a few minutes to see if anyone would go in/out, but no luck...

Good to know that our "tiki-sense" was right all along!

Way to bring it, Zulu Magoo!

I live blocks away from no. 1, the Bali.

Unfortunately, no tikis are apparent from the outside, although it does have very nice tropical look, somewhat like Humphrey's Half Moon, without the A-Frame. Excellent tropical landscape.

Now that I know its on the list, I'll sneak a peak on the inside.

H

Mahalo Zulu!

I wonder if you or any other SoCalites or my San Diego 'Ohana know anything about the history of Point Loma Villas Condominiums at 4444 W Point Loma Blvd?

It's a pretty large vintage complex just north of Nimitz Blvd. Its Nine Large A-frames can be seen above the it's palm lined parking area. As you drive in the main entrance there's a small planter with dock-type vertical wood pilings topped by what appear to be old rusty gas torches. Just beyond that is an A-framed main lodge with heavily carved door. Through a window a googie amoeba shaped pool and Polynesian trellis are visible out back (access form the sides is blocked by locked gates, dammit). No doubt it was merely an apt complex back on the day. I promise I'll go back with a camera.

...As I walked around the exterior of the A frame fortress my nostrils begin to twitch, there's something in the air, something from the murky past, yes, I am certain there were Tikis here!

H

On 2006-02-08 07:55, hodadhank wrote:

... Point Loma Villas Condominiums at 4444 W Point Loma Blvd
...Through a window a googie amoeba shaped pool and Polynesian trellis are visible out back...

Eureka! A vintage photo of the locked pool area!!!

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/album03/afm?full=1

TM

Wow! I live right around the corner from all of these places in anaheim, less then a few blocks from Linbrook bowl. I go there all the time and sit in the vintage coffee shop! The place is great!

Unfortuantely, all those former glorious apts are now HUD housing, but I can only imagine how cool they were in thier heydays! The hotels are basically flophouses, like the Kona on Brookhurst. Cool vintage sign, but there is a meth lab in every room so i would never stay there.

B

And you can't forget the Horace Heidt Estates - which feature an 18 hole minigolf course where each hole is a scaled-down replica of a hole from a world-famous golf course.

Horace Heidt Estate Apartment Homes 10 acres of luxury in the heart of Sherman Oaks. Horace Heidt Estates Apartment Homes offers a unique experience in Apartment living.

Leave the rest of the world behind when you walk past the bamboo gatehouse into another world…A paradise of lush, tropical trees, singing birds, azure pools and trickling waterfalls.....

....while you’re there visit the Aloha Room, a beautiful banquet facility that can accommodate parties of 20 to 300 people.

Also sign up for one of our monthly parties featuring the World Famous Horace Heidt Musical Knights dance band and stars like Barbara McNair, Sally Kellerman, Joey Heatherton, Peter Marshall and the Ink Spots to name a few.

This one didn't make the list, but both tikis are still there, on the outside:

The Tahitian.
3932 S Stevely.
1 block E La Brea.
1 block N Coliseum.

On 2006-03-03 10:24, reedalong wrote:
And you can't forget the Horace Heidt Estates - which feature an 18 hole minigolf course where each hole is a scaled-down replica of a hole from a world-famous golf course.

beautiful waterfall:

G

Hi names James, most call me guido or gweed. anyway I used to work at #9 up there the tiki tai at 22415 anza. i worked there 4 years total. the first 2 was then i was like 13-15. the manager was this old guy named ron "the bird man" he was fuckin nuts. he was a vietnam veteran and a bad alcoholic. some of my friends older brothers worked there and thats how i ended up there. the name of the complex was anza pines apartments. then once ron got fired i was out of an after school job for a while until right up the street a record store named wall of sound opened up and i'd hang out there and work for the owner (bobby)of that record store when i was like 15... weired coincidence happened, he asked me if i could help him with some work at his apartment complex that he manages, i told him i used to work at this one complex up the street and told him i used to prep vacancies and type up rent ledgers and pass out evictions etc, (my dad is a contractor so i learned a lot of how to do a lot of things growin up) so we walked over there and i was stunned. it was that fuckin complex again. i was like wait a second... u manage this place? i used to work here! with ron the guy before you. weird huh? anyway that was good times back then the building is a 40 unit single/studio only. the managers office was a one bedroom until bobby and i discovered this HUGE attic area from the one berdoom in the managers office. we turned the managers unit into a 3 story 2 bdr within 3 weeks. it was dope as hell because it's the area right above the garage gate and it wasnt connected to any other units. it quickly became the party room and overlooked the whole complex. then bobby got thrown in jail so that was the end of that. i found out he was on parole anyway and he hit his wife. so that was the end of that. the complex has since been renamed lillyanza apartments. i dont know what ever happened to ron or bobby. hell i dont even know if the owner is the same now.

Wow...uh...what a story!
Looking at Mike's list again, there are so many un-checked places it seems, has anybody been to any and made positive discoveries in the meantime???

C'mon Southern Cal urban archeologists...Long Beach alone seems like it was a hotbed of Polynesian settlements (in 1968)! And all those places called "Tiki" in San Diego !?

Any further reports, anybody?

T

On 2007-04-07 13:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow...uh...what a story!
C'mon Southern Cal urban archeologists...Long Beach alone seems like it was a hotbed of Polynesian settlements (in 1968)! And all those places called "Tiki" in San Diego !?
Any further reports, anybody?

#edited to make more anonymous*
This looks like an old thread and I'm sorry to dredge it up if nobody's watching... but I've got another report of sorts (well, more like a question for the SoCal masses here).

I'm searching for an apartment I believe was called the "Kanini Hut", sorry if it's spelled wrong.

This apartment complex was somewhere near the coast, possibly in the vicinity of Manhattan Beach. I didn't see anything in the list posted in this thread, but I've been on a hunt for this place for a while now.

Thanks in advance - and great forum!

[ Edited by: TN1776 2009-07-22 14:26 ]

Tony -

I've never heard of the Kanini Hut either, but that's a great apartment name. I've been to most of the old tiki apartment complexes here in Southern California and many of them do have a rec-room or manager's apartment in the center of the complex, shaped like a tiki hut, so that part of the story makes sense too.

I'll try to check the old phone book records on microfiche at the Torrance library. You may want to check the Downtown L.A. library on your visit here, because I believe they actually have the old phonebooks from the 60s down in the stacks room and can bring them up for you to research.

Sabu

T

Thanks Sabu!
I edited my initial post to remove some detail and make it more anonymous. This is the internet afterall... I may see what I can find on microfilm if/when I ever make it down that way again.

On 2005-09-10 11:28, ZuluMagoo wrote:

1. The Islander: 6530 Cherry Ave.
  2. The Islander: 1801 E. Wardlow Rd.

I see these two all the time, no tikis or anything, but definitely a 60's polypop kind of style. I printed out the Long Beach list and I have it in the car with my camera, hopefully I can get some pics of the remaining ones. Judging by the addresses, I'm going to guess at least half of those are long gone.

T

On 2009-07-22 14:28, TN1776 wrote:
Thanks Sabu!
I edited my initial post to remove some detail and make it more anonymous. This is the internet afterall... I may see what I can find on microfilm if/when I ever make it down that way again.

If anybody is still curious... the Kanini Hut was located in Lennox. It is no longer a tiki style complex at all - in fact they filled in the swimming pool and the "hut" building is also gone. It is a rather non-descript, run down old apartment building now. The place is surrounded by tall chain-link fences and all the windows have bars on them. Much different than in the late 60s/early 70s, when I'm told it was "party central" and nobodys doors were ever locked!

Pages: 1 23 replies