Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

hukilau was fantastic.

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

K

Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep.

I thought it was steep too, but at least she was there. It's my understanding that she rarely makes public appearances these days.

I spent my money with Bunny Yeager...bought one of her books and she signed it. There was a guy in front of me with a PILE of Bettie Page material. It was obviously bootleg stuff because Bunny kept asking "Where did you get this?" and saying "I've never seen this before...who made this.." She was polite and signed about 20 autographs for this guy and he didn't give her a dime! Not cool.

T

On 2005-10-19 13:40, Kenike wrote:
I spent my money with Bunny Yeager...bought one of her books and she signed it. There was a guy in front of me with a PILE of Bettie Page material. It was obviously bootleg stuff because Bunny kept asking "Where did you get this?" and saying "I've never seen this before...who made this.." She was polite and signed about 20 autographs for this guy and he didn't give her a dime! Not cool.

What a creep!

Bunny Yeager told me she was disappointed that the person who was supposed to bring her most recent photo books flaked, which is perhaps why some people thought she was in a bad mood. I was happy to be able to meet her. I brought two vintage photography books by her for her to sign, then I bought an 8x10 and 2 of her books she was selling.

The books that never arrived:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764314734/qid=1129755686/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764320025/qid=1129755686/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764323342/qid=1129755686/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I think $10 for an autograph by Yma Sumac, or $20 for a personally autographed 8x10 is a reasonable price. Some of the pictures of her I had never seen before.

D

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

That is complete insanity from where no man has ever gone before. Gee...Shatner must really 'love' his fans.

True, it was cool that Yma showed up at all. I guess I was basing my autograph purchasing on other experiences. The week before Hukilau (believe it or not) I went to a book signing by our ole pal Jack Klugman ('Oscar' from the 'Odd Couple') for his new book "Tony & Me" about his friendship with him and Mr. Randall. The book was $24.95, and he signed additional memorabila for free. Along with the book I brought a cool color 8x10 of him as Oscar with a Mets hat on and cigar in mouth. Pretty damn cool. I also got Bill Clinton's autograph for free at one of his book signings so the fee for signed memorabilia is new to me. And even if it is kinda steep, can't say that is suprises me. It does boost the value of your item and all that. I guess all these celebrities work differently.

Hukilau was still a blast and I'm glad I got Yma to sign my albums.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2005-10-19 14:57 ]

S

I never saw Bunny at all. I found Yma finally on Saturday and I got a kiss for $10, and she threw in an autograph for free!

On 2005-10-19 10:55, Haole Kat wrote:
... Dade City Crew...Josh

This is merriliki (Merrill), son of jungle Jim (I think there was more than one there) and Jungle Jennifer...or as Josh said, the Dade City Crew. Since Dad is not as...technologically advanced...I promised I would register on TC and finally got around to it just now.

So my apologies for reviving this thread when it might be ready to die, but I had to shout out to all for a wonderful first experience for me, hopefully one of many more to come.

See you next year!?

On 2005-10-19 11:29, sickmont wrote:

On 2005-10-17 19:07, donhonyc wrote:

Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. ...

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

... yma sumac is no william shatner...

J
JonPez posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 9:17 PM

... yma sumac is no william shatner...

Yeah. One can sing (I'll leave it to the individuals opinion, of course) :wink:

Was great to see Bunny Yeager again. Met her once before 15 years ago at a Florida Motion Picture and Television Association meeting in Orlando. Had no idea who she was, but someone mentioned Betty Page. I asked a friend who was a collector of vintage goodies and he turned me on to her. Wait. That didn't sound right...
Got both Yma and Bunny's autographs. Very glad I did. Unlike the Dr. Who autographs I got back in high school. Still labels me a geek to this day.
Yma was great. She signed both the inside and the outside of my 45rpm box set of Legend of the Sun Virgin and said "Vhen you lhay jour head doooown upon jour pillow at night to schleep, you put thees on, and jou will be taken away to fhar avay lands and peeeceful dreams".
BTW- I love both Yma Sumac AND Wm. Shatner's singing. I get a real tingly feeling the first time I play either for someone and watch their reactions. Not the same effect as Mrs. Miller or the Shaggs, but still classic.
Anybody heard Q-Burn's Abstract Message's remix of Gopher? Wonder if Yma has...

My latest addition to The Room of the Gods...

I'm not paying $150 for anyones autograph not even Kirk's. But a chance to meet Yma and the price of two Mai Kai drinks for an autograph seemed pretty reasonable to me. Bought Bunny's book which she also signed and got to hear all about a great local "all you can eat" buffet place that she found.

On 2005-11-01 21:17, JonPez wrote:

Not the same effect as Mrs. Miller or the Shaggs, but still classic.

The Shaggs! Haven't heard them in a while. Hey what ever happened to the Shagg movie?

[ Edited by: Chief Lapu Lapu 2005-11-04 02:59 ]

"Got both Yma and Bunny's autographs. Very glad I did. Unlike the Dr. Who autographs I got back in high school. Still labels me a geek to this day."

:lol:

Seriously, I have learned to look at that period in my history as simply another manifestation of my general fondness for eccentric British character actors. Works, sort of.

Plus, they might be worth something nowadays. Geekdom never dies, but character actors do, and then their relics appreciate.

IZ

Hey Chief,

Somewhere's on TC you should post photos of the ENTIRE "Room of the Gods" now that you got it in ship shape.

I, Z

J
JonPez posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 5:07 PM

On 2005-11-04 00:50, tikivixen wrote:
"Plus, they might be worth something nowadays. Geekdom never dies, but character actors do, and then their relics appreciate".

Gosh, I sure hope so. Got a big collection of Dr. who stuff from back in the day. Have some of the most esoteric fan club stuff from back then.
Also, helped me realize that 18-foot-long scarves and Hawaiian shirts sometimes DO go together...

Yma Sumac is not only 83 years old, but she is very reclusive, and prior to 2005, she hadn't been seen in public for 8 years! She is a legend and a true original and considered ROYLATY in Peru and a mystery everywhere else. Her voice is incomparable. To this day, she gets fan mail from all corners of the globe, from ages 19 to about 75, in countless languages. She only made 5 records, yet they have been reissued on a an almost constant basis, for close to 60 years. One day that (now)$20 autograph will be able to put your grandchildren through college. As of late, there are german, french, peruvian documentaries out on her, and a US one on the way. Shatner's ONLY comparison to Yma Sumac is, perhaps, that they both have stars on Hollywood Boulevard. I think his is about 4 spaces east of Donald Ducks....

We are now selling the remaining glassware from this years Hukilau. There are 50 sets remaining of the first glassware ever created for Hukilau. Art by Derek and design by myself and Cpt. Pokie! At $26 per set, these should make a great addition to your collection at an affordable price! Plus, they're actually functional for those favorite libations from the Grog Log and Intoxica and beyond! Look for more at next years event plus more designs from Tiki Kiliki in the very near future.

Find them HERE

Numbers will be updated several times daily to let you know how many remain.

Any questions, just PM me!

I own a set and love'em!
See you at the 50th Kiliki!

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies