Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies

P

That carving reminds me of that George Carlin joke "If I could reach, I'd never leave the house."

8T

I finally got all of my Coontiki pictures uploaded and adjusted and I wanted to share some of them. My plan was to fill all 3 of my discs with shots of the beginning of the activities because I knew that on Saturday Silverline was going to arrive like the cavalry loaded with the big guns and he would take the really good pictures. I just hoped to capture some of the early moments with the camera I had.
I was fortunate enough to be able to arrive a day early and enjoy some quiet time with the Legends before most of the attendees checked in. So here are a few of the things you may have missed or just imagined........

Ben talking to Swanky's awesome New Guinea figure in the Hapa Haole Hideaway.

Al reclines upon the throne of contemplation.

More of the tiki decor in the fabulous Hideaway.

We all wait in anticipation of seeing what BK has wrapped up
in the blanket!!

Friday morning at the cabin. BK with his amazing Tangaroa.

Benzart admires Basement Kahuna's work up close.

The instructors discuss the variety of tools BK has brought. (I try to take a picture while I pinch myself because I can't believe I am really here).

This is TNTIKI who now owns the BK tang. He lives in Tenn. and although he wasn't an official student attendee, he drove to visit us every day. He's a great guy. I really enjoyed talking with him and he has a great laugh too. That is Jungle Jim (left) and TikiLee's (right).

Well, that's all for today but I have some more from the carvers stores and wood lot. More fun to come!!! 8FT

T

Great pics 8ft! Let's see some more!

S

Here is my feable attempt with the Ben project. I have more to do. Homework. I swear I will do better in the future!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 22, 2006 6:35 AM

Swanky,

Right on man! That looks great!

-G

Cool, where's the blood?

CA

Call to the Coon-Boys!!
come and get it.......

i have enough brown and dark-green Benz-AL-ies for the dudes from the Boondocks.
I just need some shipping money to get it to you
send $5 to:
AL EVANS
PO Box 553
Sunset Bch CA
or paypal $6 with your address to [email protected]

you must have attended the Coon Tiki event to get a free Benz-AL-ie

There was only one mold made...This detailed mold only made 40 casts before it gave up the ghost.

if you want an additional cast it's $10 and if you want a one if a kind Artiat's Proof color it's $15

i'm taking the additional Benz-AL-ies to Oasis so you need to email (not PM) me before Thursday morning if you want an additional cast.

B

This IS Sanctioned by BenZart! I have copies and they are beautiful. See C'Al for yours before they are All Gone.

T

I signed up just now! Can't wait!

Awesome! Sent my cash via Pay Pal just now.

Also, big props to Al for his contribution to Coon-Tiki! Yes, he brought his brand of Crazy Al irreverence (Coon-Tiki slide, anyone?) but he also brought a reverence for the craft, and took the role of both student and teacher. It was very cool seeing all of us in a position of being wowed by the stuff Ben taught everyone. I was somewhat intimidated on arrival, knowing what these guys can do, but we were all on an even playing field when Ben started imparting knowledge on us.

Mahalo to all my Coon-Tiki bretheren! I can't wait to see what kind of carvers we all grow into!

T

I gots mines. Al you rock!

C

conga sez "Yahoooo."

COOOOOL!! I'm in for one! Thanks for doing this, both of you! And thanks Swanky for the heads up or I might have missed out on this!! I'm clearing a spot on the tiki shelf right now!

Aiii-eeee! I'll take one! Would I be considered cheap if I just picked mine up from you at Oasis to save on the meager $5 shipping??? Don't worry, I'll find you!

A-A

I'm in I'm in I'm in!!!!!

CA

I know a number of critters will be at oasis, so i'll being theirs along to magic land......
doubravsky... you have a $6 credit at Oasis if you want it.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 5:56 AM

We could do the Coon Tiki series. Collect and trade them all! I don't know how it would do after this one though. Very nice.

Hey, some of those Ben's turned out pretty damn good! I wouldn't buy a copy of mine, but I wonder how Diablo and BK's turned out? For that matter, I seem to recall that Von's and Conga's were good. Hmm, maybe there's some hope for finding out
Hint hint....

8T

ALoha boys, I'm gettin' one for me and one special one for Mrs. 8FT. And one of these days I'll post pics of my Benzart because it's getting close to being finished!

8T

Here are some more of the early photos from the seminar weekend.

Here's the carvers supply store which saw a lot of us visit over the 3 days.

Benzart checks out the supplies while all of us browse. Note BK in the coonskin cap!

Al spending his allowance while Tiki Lee's and Diablo check out the official Nawger Nob t-shirts. Yee haw.

Next stop just down the road a piece. This is where we got the wood for the group project and the masks plus the coon mascot.

The humble proprietor. A very experienced carver and a real nice guy. Showed us all around the place and answered a bunch of questions. I think he would be a neat guy to hang with if you lived near there. Dig that club he made.

SO much wood, so little time! This guy has all the right toys to move the BIG MOTHER logs too!

"Yeah that's a log alright." "yep""yep" "yep""yep"

Here's some of his work.

He has done lots of animals and unique pieces. Check out the alligator.

Al finds another "throne" of contemplation! Note the naked lady beer can holders. Yee Haw!

Well, I hope you enjoyed the trip. I will add one more round later so you can see the boys getting started with the projects. Aloha, 8FT

Great pictures! Great captions, too! Al looks very much at home with the naked lady beer can holders.

CA

nice' 8ft....... The White-trash in-ma is hard to hide.....

as soon as i get a chance to get all the orders for the benz-al-ies together and packed, i'll get them out to yuz-all.......

Yo C'Al! I got my Benz-Al-ie over the weekend and it's awsome! Ths will come as no surprise to others I'm sure, but I'm REALLY impressed with the level of detail you were able to get out of these casts! Are these pretty much "as-cast" or did you have to go in and clean 'em up some? Very cool! Of course, I had to photograph mine.

8T

Well friends, here is the last bunch of Seminar photos I had.
After returning from the wood lot I took a few shots from the upper deck at the lodge looking down upon the work getting started.

Here BK begins to mark lines on the big group project log.

Al selects a log and starts the chainsaw. This log was turned into the mascot "coon&tiki" which you have seen in previous posts. Awesome to watch this evolve. Al, I really was impressed by watching you create this wonderful carving!!!

At this point, noboby but Al knew just what he was making.
Most figured it was a bear.

Here Al has a basic animal shape and BK and Diablo are diggin' into the group log while Jungle Jim and Tony look on.

Here Tiki Diablo gets Tiki Lee's started on a very important part of the carving. On the right you see Benzart greeting Congatiki who has just arrived on his motorcycle.

Here is one the few photos which captured the lovely Ms. Swanky. She is laughing at the antics of Kapu Kahiki along with Tikiskip and Doubravsky. The other guy is a local TC member and his TC name is a number which I forgot. Sorry.

This group really got along well right from the start. I wonder if the "refreshments" had anything to do with that?

Here Swanky has the floor as he welcomes everyone and has each attendee introduce themselves.

Saturday morning: Everyone has selected their Benzart piece for the first class exercise. The hook knives are flyin' but very little blood flowed!

Well, that is the last of the photos I had saved from the early moments of the Coontiki Seminar. Hope they bring back good memories for you if you were there and inspired you to attend the next one if you didn't make the innaugural event.
Thanks for looking, 8FT Tiki

T

Nice shots 8FT - thanks for posting them.

always enjoy looking at pics of coontiki...makes me feel happy......thanks for posting 8 foot.

B

8Ft, thanks again for More awesome pictures. I'm sure I'm not alone in that when I look at these pictures, they take me right back to that crazy, fantastic weekend with the greatest bunch of woodcarvers ever. All these Pic's help make it the memorable event that it was. Thanks

S

"Dear Lord, please bless us carvers so that we do not bleed all over the carpet."

Amen.

8T

Well, it was a year ago we were all gathered together at the lodge there in the hills of Tenn. I still think about the fun we had nearly every day. Just wanted to say hi to all the Coon-Tiki '06 alumni. Carve on brothers!!!!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 6:56 AM

Indeed. April Fool's is Coon Tiki time. Very different weather here this year! Spring is early! Been in the 80s and everything is in bloom! Dogwoods, Wisteria, Azalea, tulips, Hyacinth, everything. Perfect weather.

That was some good times. Like a boy scout camp for grown up tiki carvers.

TD

when does this coon tiki seminar next come up?
age limit?

B

Duddy, Coon Tiki will be July 28 and 29 and as far as I know, there is no age limit. COME On Down!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2007 6:34 AM

On 2007-04-02 17:09, Tiki Duddy wrote:
when does this coon tiki seminar next come up?
age limit?

Upper or lower age limit? We have no limits except safety.

B

Why didn't I live in the USA?
Why am I not rich :lol:

The american dream :wink:

One day I will be with you all, I swear.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-04-03 12:04 ]

TD

oh that looks like fun. i read a bit on it the other day, july you say? hmm....i WILL have my drivers licence by then but im not too sure if the parents will want me driving down there by myself. thats the problem.
well i will see if i can convince them to let me go.

Just a bump because of a weird search that popped this thread. You'z east coasters should get a chop going. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies