Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies

B

Well, I think No One would be surprised to hear about an accidental meeting on that road up to the cabin. I know it was talked about on nearly every trip. "Wow, What would happen if another came around that curve the same time as we were coming the other way". The subject was wondered aloud every day. The road(road???) was a single lane, paved, (mostly)trail snaking through and around the mountains. Most of the time there was No Place to allow two cars to pass, and yet the road serviced traffic in both direstions. I guess people are very fortunate that the road is not heavily traveled, else More "Meetings" would happen. MsSwanky, I'm sorry it had to be you, but at least your driving skills helped to prevent anything worse from happening, Lucky you and congrats.
Yes the Swanks deserve high praise for hosting a great Party/Carving Seminar... Very Well done, and you carvers who missed it this time, Really missed out on a Great happening. I'm STILL Stoked.. Big Mahalos to everyone who helped make it so great. Danny, Dave and of course our very own CRAZY AL who so freely gave up his weekend to help teach and entertain us all. ANd lets not forget his "Coon/Tiki that he carved so nicely. He was Not leaving until it was finished and he spent many hours carving on it after every one else had put their tools away for the day.
I could go on and on and on, but I'll stop for now. Fantastic!!

On 2006-04-06 05:58, Benzart wrote:
Well, I think No One would be surprised to hear about an accidental meeting on that road up to the cabin. I know it was talked about on nearly every trip. "Wow, What would happen if another came around that curve the same time as we were coming the other way". The subject was wondered aloud every day.

Ever scarier (and creepier) at night! Here's a WIDE spot in the road just down from the cabin. I don't know, wasn't it about a half-mile up to the cabin with only one official passing spot? There really isn't room to widen that road either.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 7:25 AM

I don't know, wasn't it about a half-mile up to the cabin with only one official passing spot?

About a mile and half actually. As long as the goats can get through there, it's fine.

B

Yeah, but the goats can't carry very much, UNLESS you were hiding the BIG Goats from us??

you all realize that this would be the perfect setting for a TIKI HORROR MOVIE...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2006-04-06 08:27 ]

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 8:20 AM

are those real hillbilly hats? i thought they only existed in cartoons.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 8:24 AM

On 2006-04-06 08:20, pdrake wrote:
are those real hillbilly hats? i thought they only existed in cartoons.

Yeah, and moonshine stills also only exist in cartoons...

On 2006-04-06 08:09, Johnny Dollar wrote:
you all realize that this would be the perfect setting for a TIKI HORROR MOVIE...

COON-TIKI . . . where NO ONE can hear you SCREAM!

Oh yeah, it crossed my mind too.

T

here's #2. I had a bunch of cherry wood laying around so I thought I would carve it up. Thanks ben. Can't wait to put BKs top secrete finish on it.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 5:51 PM

Anybody see Bigfoot?

-Gman

Ahh yeahh. I had a GREAT time at the Coon Tiki event. Everybody was awesome and so helpfull. What a bunch of A-1 peeps. MR and Ms. Swanky thanks for being such great hosts for all of us crazy tiki beavers. Glad to see all went well and everybody made it home safe. ARRIBA!

B

Yeah, Bigfoot went back to So Cali on Monday morning..

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 5:45 AM

Nah, I see a lot of the Kahiki logo in skips new piece. Great work, ya bastard. Show off. :wink:

P
pablus posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 5:48 AM

On 2006-04-07 05:48, pablus wrote:
I love to talk story like you sickos like to carve and I was talking with Finkdaddy last night over some frosty tropical cocktails about telling some old Hawai'ian stories and putting them on mp3s here on TC. There are many involving wood and very descriptive passages of certain trees like the one Maui used to capture the sun.

Seriously!

I'd pay money for something like this even. You could talk story and have your uke playing in the background.
I'd love to carve to it... I think it would really set the mood. A lot of times while carving I've got Hapa, IZ, and the Haole Cats in rotation.
Some of my favorite songs by IZ are the stories set to music.

I love the Hawai'ian stories... the 2 weeks I spent there were surfing and exploring, but the memories are of the stories from guides and others about why things are so.

At the least pablus, think about doing a few mp3's to put on here if you have time...

And send me a picture of my tiki in the Lagoon Lounge!!

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 2:38 PM

I have watched this thread throughout it's development. It's astonishing that this happened in the time that it has. It's kind of our generations gathering of great artists that will make up a part of Tiki history and fond memories that are sure to withstand the test of ages. This warms me.

Very nicely done indeed.

And to Lake's point, It would/should serve as primer to engage some get-togethers for carving and story amongst family.

Mahaloz

My photos are now up online at my business website! These are just low-res proofs made for quick downloading; there are 154 shots there!

I'm sorry about the watermarks, I hate them too. But ever since an architect (who should have known better) printed a set of my low-res proofs and then credited ME with the crappy print quality, I watermark ALL proofs. It'll help protect those works pictured herein from the joys of website theft as well.

Sometime this weekend I'll post an URL for a high-res group picture that anyone can download and print at home. Till then, here they are:

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki

Hey Swanky...

I'm too lazy right now to look back at the old posts... but is this the tiki that you've been working on for a while?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/072.htm

The one that resembles the City of Refuge tiki?

If it is, did you get the tips from Danny on how to make it happen?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/080.htm

Looking forward to your future work... I think you have more carving talent than you realize :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-04-07 22:44 ]

B

Silverline, Thats a nice bunch of pictures. Kinda looks like everyone was having fun there. It was really nice meeting you and everyone else there.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 8:34 AM

On 2006-04-07 22:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
Hey Swanky...

I'm too lazy right now to look back at the old posts... but is this the tiki that you've been working on for a while?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/072.htm

The one that resembles the City of Refuge tiki?

If it is, did you get the tips from Danny on how to make it happen?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/080.htm

Looking forward to your future work... I think you have more carving talent than you realize :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-04-07 22:44 ]

Yes it is! And that Ku is the reason we all got together. I was working away and thought how nice it would be if BK or some other experienced carver lived down the street. I needed advice badly. So I imagined there were others in the same sort of boat.

I went over every problem spot in that tiki with Tiki Diablo and he really made it clear. The mouth still awaits, abut I am much more ready to get it all done than I was before. I really can express how much I learned. I liken it to getting a guitar and tryng to play and it all sounds bad and you put it away after a week. A few lessons and you might instead play the rest of your life. Hell, I was holding the chisel upside down!

I am ready for a summer of carving. And Ms Swanky did a much better job than I did. I'll get her on the mallet too.

On 2006-04-06 09:12, tikiskip wrote:
here's #2. I had a bunch of cherry wood laying around so I thought I would carve it up. Thanks ben. Can't wait to put BKs top secrete finish on it.

Damn skip! That tiki is VERY cool and sorta has that Kahiki look to it! Congrats!!!

Jeff

OK, the group shot (my personal favorite) is up and ready for downloading. It's a 300 dpi 7.5x10 inch image that should give you a good print on pretty much any system. The downside to all that resoution is that it's about 1.3 meg in size.

Click the picture to begin downloading it.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2010-01-13 20:29 ]

8T

GREAT SHOT BRAD!!! A super big thanks to you for taking so much time to document the event in pictures. I know you missed out on a few things because of your dedication to preserving the moments for all of us who were there (and all of the TC ohana who were with us in spirit). I must say that the only thing missing from this group photo is....YOU!
Thanks again too for helping me to prepare my gift to the other attendees. Couldn't have done it without you.
And one last comment to the whole community; this is the greatest group of ugly, snarling, tounge displaying men I have ever had the pleasure to spend a weekend with.
Gents, YOU'RE THE BEST! Your friend 8FT

S

I finally got around to downloading my pictures today.

Crazy Al discovers the edge Benzart can put on a chisel.

Go to sleep Coon Tiki...

Tiki Diablo works on the big piece.

Crazy Al works on the big piece.

TG

Looks like you guy's had a great time. Thanks for posting all the stories and pics of your experience. I'm also glad to see everyone made it back home safely. That sounded like a pretty scary experience with the near miss head on'er. Good to see the fellas hanging out all in one place. The Coon tiki Al carved was pretty rad. I got a kick out of that;)

T

I liked Al's tater masher mallet.

TL

HI!

I just thought I'd post a few shots of my Benzart project from our awesome weekend of carving and bonding over Mai Tai's & "Coffee". After staining it, I aged it using BK's Super-Secret Patented Ageing process known only to those fortunate enough to have been there, plus a few more techniques of my own that I've picked up during my years as a VFX Miniatures Set Dresser, and it came out looking like thus:

I guess I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the way that it turned out. I wish I could say that for our other project. Here's where it ended up:

Mine is the one that is almost black, since I was the first to start the "F-ed Up Tiki Burning Ritual".

Now that I FINALLY have the right chisels (they arrived the Saturday that we were there), I plan on doing my Coon-Tiki Bretheren proud and carving up a nice piece 'o palm to look the way the lesson was supposed to have been! I'll post it soon...

Anyway, I had a blast and it was GREAT getting to know everyone!

C-Ya!

Lee

T

That's a neat finish on your benzart project piece Lee - the texture is very cool.

Boy That group shot is great. I wouldn't want to cross your tribe. You even have a Tiki Raccoon mascot anothe reason not to mess with you. Raccoons can get mean as hell also.

Chongolio

*On 2006-04-09 21:52, Tiki Lee's wrote:*Mine is the one that is almost black, since I was the first to start the "F-ed Up Tiki Burning Ritual".

Hi Lee! Yes, there's something cathartic about putting unsatisfactory work behind you and moving on. I enjoyed sharing the tiki-fire with you! Your Benzart project should be kept FAR from heat and flame, however! That turned out really nice!!

Thanks T.G. & S.L.!

Yeah, that ceremonial fire was hypnotising, to say the least. Who's elses Tiki's ended up in there? I know Swanky threw at least three more in after Silverline's & mine were gone.

Oh yeah... Silverline, when can we get some full-rez photos? I'm all anxious to put my album together!!

C-Ya!

S

I put mine in, but mine had major rot, 2 inches wide and top to bottom dead center. Hopeless. The others I tossed in the fire were either untouched knotted pieces or very minimally carved pieces no one really worked on.

I'll post my bad Benzart project soon. And that's not Michael Jackson Bad, just plain bad.

The future for Coon Tiki will be a bit different. Nawger Nob will host the classes in their shop. We are looking to do a complete piece over a weekend. Try to get from rough out to sanding if possible. Likely one instructor, maybe two. We'll rent a few cabins all near each other and we can do some cabin crawls. We'll also look to move it more into the warmer season. Just this little bit later and it's so different here. The dogwoods are in bloom, lots of green. But that should lower costs and make things more comfortable for everyone, while at the same time keeping us together. We may also do a couple of Coon Tiki events. Do another basic class with Benzart. It's really a matter of how much interest there is. Having one instructor makes it cheaper and I think concentrating on one project let's you get more out of it. Get on the mailing list! Top of the page and you'll be up on the latest.

8T

On 2006-04-08 18:22, SilverLine wrote:
OK, the group shot

I guess no one has done this yet (And I know how we all like to put faces with names, So prepare yourselves for a matching game. I now present to you the members of "THE ORIGINAL COONTIKI BROTHERHOOD".

I will provide their Tiki Central Name and if they did not YET have one, their first names. Believe me we sorta suggested heartily that anyone who attended Coontiki but is a TC lurker needed to register as soon as they got home and unpacked. So without further delay, here's the gang!

From Left to Right.
Back Row:VONTIKI, TIKI LEE'S, BASEMENT KAHUNA, CRAZY AL, TONY, DOUBRAVSKY, TIKIGAP, CONGATIKI

Center Row: TIKI DIABLO, VINI-TIKI-VECHI, LINDY, TIKISKIP, AARON'S AKUA, KAPU KAHIKI

Front Row: 8FT TIKI, JIM, SWANKY, BENZART

NOT PICTURED: OUR HUMBLE PHOTOGRAPHER: SILVERLINE

What up Danny, Coon got your tounge ?

EDITED TO CORRECT MY MISTAKE (GETTING JIM & TONY SWITCHED.) IT'S RIGHT NOW !

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2006-04-13 18:41 ]

B

8ft, thanks for naming everyone. I tried but could not get it straight. Super Picture Silverline. Super event Swanky.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:57:02 ]

S

'cept you have Jungle Jim and Tony reversed. Jim has been a regular at Hukilau and at the Hapa Haole Hideaway. His business requires travel from Tennessee to Puerto Rico, so I see him here regularly.

Martin and Lindy are from Atlanta and will be at Tiki Torch Nights for sure. I don't recall meeting them before, but I am sure I'll see them again now.

We are supposed to go pick up the stuff from the cabin this evening, so I hope to get at some carving again soon. I have a spot picked out for the big guy and VonTiki donated his mask to me. It's going in the new tropical gardens here. I'll get Ms Swanky on finishing the big tiki...

8T

Swanky, thanks for pointing that out. I can't believe I did that. :blush: I corrected my post above.

CA

here's the grand Benz'Al'ie!

i think someone punched my side in the eye... something's got to get the tiki looking angry.........

CA

check out the wood'zy critters hanging out at the Lodge

Great pictures C A!! That little coon-tiki is an illusive creature; VERY hard to capture.

Here's our mighty hunter, Crazy Al, in action stalking that wily beast:

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2006-04-14 09:01 ]

B

Silverline, Excellent pic's, Well Done!!
Crazy Man Al, excellent job on the Lesson tiki, you get an A++ for the project and win first place. The CoonTiki carving was the highlight of the whole weekend. Watching you create that piece from a bare log was very inspirational, thanks, BIG Time.

CA

Benzzzzz... not that i didn't want to sneak a peek at 'the Devil' at work, as he has become a tremendous craftsman.... You are the reason i spent my existing airline voucher on a trip to Tennessee. And in two seconds in the door i get my first lesson in sharpening a knife since my childhood with my Grandfather.... and a full proof method at that!!!
Your 'creating' pg here at TC blows my mind... and gets me back to whittling! I believe you single handedly inspired my chess set http://www.tikimania.com/docs/chess.html
THANK YOU BENZ-ART!
Swanky your open invitation also cemented a trip to the woods to get back to nature. Other then Tarzan, my favorite show in the whole world was Grizzly Adams.... ok... and Johnny Quest, but that's a cartoon.....but what ever... I think I'll stop typing now..... didn't see any bears other then those made of wood, and considering the latest news of the local bear population... we where lucky

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-04-15 10:01 ]

B

Crazy Al, It's ME who is SO glad You came to my little carving Seminar. I'm sure yo looked at your tickets options and they said Tennessee and you said "Where the hell izzat at". But sinct Swank was doing something there you said"Hmm Maybe go to swanks bar and soak a few maitais up and roll on home. So Benz happened to be there and we had a great time , So I showed you how to sharpen your chisels, look how well they had been cutting before "Benz time". You sai I inspired you to do that set of chessmen. I think you looked at my work and said"That crap's eazy I can do dat wit me eyes closed"and it forced you to look deep down inside yourself at that Artist who hides there when he don't wanna do nuttin, and it made you Kick him in the butt and get back to Real work. You demanded all that he was capable of and got that and more. No, you were the inspiration for me my friend. not just your Art, it was great, but your art Business. Carving a piece, marketing it and reproducing that piece. I make a piece , sell it,,,its gone. That something missing wasyou. That got me started carving tikis again. I'm slippin on the duplicating pieces but that is my newyears resolution thei year: to bring benzarts to the peeps for less moneybut high qualiy. So I inspired you and you inspired me and we inspire everybody else, or at least you do.
We have to find a way to work together more, soon.You heard it here first folks!

CA

is Benz Psychic?????????

B

YES!!

W-H-O-A! I thought BK's post was scary enough...now I find 'Kreeepy Karvinz Psychic Lovefest' going on with Benz & C'Al!!! C'mon, I was looking for new carvings here fellas...your starting to freak me out! What really happened to the folks deep in the mountains?
(banjo)
(guitar)
(banjo)
(repeat)

:o Benzing bAnAnAs!!!

flippity-flip-flop-flippp...

I swear I heard that song the first night. I slept with one eye open!

S

Somebody asked for more pictures of this guy:

The hair is casowary feathers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies