Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies

Fer me looks like about an hour lecture each on various stuff (Maori and Marquesan art and techniques), an hour hands-on lesson on aging carvings, an hour w/demo on weapons with pass-out source sheets and detailed how-to sheets, and a whole weekend of any sort of question the folks wanna ask me about anything carving.

Dang... BK , that sounds awesome! I Can't Wait!!!!!!

8T

Just 2 weeks from today...we are going to be throwin' some wood chips all over that cabin in the TN mtns. That reminds me, I gotta get me a corn cob pipe and a coon-skin cap.

B

All right all you wood slashers, start practicen with those Hook blades. We wanna see Chips flyin, not blood and fingers. Practice practice practise. You All gotta teach me all you know so I can learn something.
HappyHappyHappy

got mine Ben...just hope i still have ten fingers in two weeks.

Uh oh, guess I better figure out which blade is the hook blade then...

T

Here's the straw ya'll.

Aloha! I just wanted to check in again and say that for the "off time" parts through the weekend I am going to cut a couple of extra blanks for some fijian clubs and will be working on one of them off and on..If anyone wishes to work along with me for some extra hands on/visual, then that will be there. You'll need to purchase a small spoke shave (Marbles brand if available, but any quality small wooden shave will do). I may bring an extra log as well just for kicks! Sunday I'll teach everyone how to make something like Sali "one" on the top look like Sali "two" on the bottom...I also will be giving a treatise on Maori and Marquesan art along with some good pass-outs that should serve all the attendees well as source materials for quite some time. It will be a lot crammed into three hours but it should be very useful. One week away! Looking forward to meeting you all.

oh boy oh boy oh boy....this is gonna be one great getaway in the hills of Tennessee....
I can't wait....

T

two or three days aint gonna be enuf, I can tell already! This is gonna be GREAT!

B

Wow BK, I can't wait either. I want to learn more about the Maori stuff, Happyhappyhappy,..
I finished up 19 of the 1/2 carved lesson pieces today and here they are.

There are 19 of them and they are all different. Some may be more difficult than the others. Have Fun, or you don't get to keep them. Don't cut off any fingers as the maoris will eat them for breakfast.

T

You guys blow me away.

Ben - 19 of them? 2 hours each? Amazing. Simply amazing.

BK - I wanna check out the fijian clubs too. I wonder if I can get the right knife at the wood working store in TN... Do you already happen to know if they would be available there? I'll have to ask Swanky about that.

I think I'm catching on to this 'happy happy happy' thing!

Between the enthusiasm of the newer guys and the experience and skills of the older guys this is just what I need. Really. Been working 7 day weeks for weeks now. Between that & the sore elbow, my carvin' has been starvin'. Ben, you've gone above & beyond with your prep work. I will be so proud to own a half Benz, half me carving. BK, really looking forward to your weaponry lessons - totally uncharted territory for this carver. Danny, it will be great to spend some some quality time carving with you. And especially BIG BIG THANKS to Swanky who has REALLY put it all on the table making this thing happen, MAHALO from all of us!!! I am so ready for this. One week to go!

For everyone else attending vicariously, I'm sure we will all be working the cameras overtime to post lots of photos of the event, the beautiful Tennessee countryside, and the great times I know we are all gonna have.

Cheers!

A-A

B

Tennessee is the place to be! I am so bummed that I will be stuck on the west coast when all the wood chips will be flyin. You guys are like rock stars and should go on tour out west to carve some palm trees in Venice!

The dvd/booklet of the weekend is something I am definitely interested in. Take lots of pix too.

Thanks,
Beachnik

Should be..it's a pretty comprehensive store with almost everything. I'm sure I won't walk out of there without spending a few buck either!

B

You can check the store on line HERE' But I didn't see spokeshaves anywhere. They do have the Foredom knives and kits.

T

Excellent! Looks like a cool store! I can't wait to see it. I wonder if Swanky got them to stay open all night for us...I can see going over there after each day's carving, (purchasing new and upgrading old tools), after we see what Ben, BK and Danny are using!

Ok, just got back from my final trip to Vegaas on the job I was doing there. Let's see what I have in store for y'all. details on on Mon.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-03-25 10:39 ]

B

Hey Danny, When are you flying in to Tenn.? You and BK can start on your benzarts early because it will probably take you guys longer than the other guys ..HoHo
Can't wait to see you guys and Everybody. This is really gonna be great. Hell, I Think you know that guy thechikitiki who bought my First carving when I started back, back in Jan or Feb of 2004, what happened to that guy?? OH Yeaah, he turned into Tiki Diablo,,COOL. Later dudes.

M

OMG Ben!!!

You are the Archetype Tiki Machine.

Many bows

Mahalo

Have a Big Fat Mai Tai !!!

S

Ohana reunion? That's what I see. We've had a few family reunions and gatherings at the cabin. There were 10 of us around the table last month. Now it will be my other family. I have not met most of you guys (to my knowledge. I have a horrible memory.). But everyone of the ohana I have met in the last few years has been great.

Smoky Mnt. Woodcarvers can get anything, but they don't carry everything you see on their website. Drop them an email and let them know if there is something you want. They have a good selection of power tools. Burrs, and stuff. They have more of the details, small chisels, palm tools than they do mallet stuff. They have more projects than anything, which may not interest you guys. They sell a lot of rough outs of small projects. But notice, they will sharpen your tools for you for free! I need that.

This is the week of craziness for us. I have extensive lists of things to do and groceries to buy, however, I have not found when I am going to be able to buy groceries! Oh, and I have to clean all the tiki goodies out of that little honey hole antique mall on the way to the cabin before BK swoops down...

On 2006-03-25 08:59, tikigap wrote:
Excellent! Looks like a cool store! I can't wait to see it. I wonder if Swanky got them to stay open all night for us...I can see going over there after each day's carving, (purchasing new and upgrading old tools), after we see what Ben, BK and Danny are using!

Maybe we'll have to take our lunch break at the woodcarver's store! I wouldn't mind getting one of those Kevlar gloves!

Ben, I still have the #1 in it's box behind LOCK AND KEY!. I fly in on thurs at 3pm. I think this is just what the doctor ordered.

[i] Oh, and I have to clean all the tiki goodies out of that little honey hole antique mall on the way to the cabin before BK swoops down...

What...nothing to sink my fangs into?...:)

J

Benzart- That is so awe inspiring! I'm depressed I won't be there. The more I read about it, I think I made a mistake in not signing up.
JP

B

It'sOK Johnny, you just have to make sure and sign up for the next one. Yes I really think there will be a Next one before too long. It all depends on how this one turns out and by the look of things so far I think it will be Fantastic.

8T

OK Ben, Now that we have seen the half tikis you have ready for us, I'm wondering how we are going to decide which one is whos. Are we going to have to arm wrestle, be the highest bidder or is it first come first choose??? Perhaps you will present them to us individually. I am visualizing a Harry Potter sorting hat ceremony with tikis! I just hope this prep hasn't worn you out for the weekend coming up!!!
Can't wait to meet you finally as well as the others. This has been a long winter but having the Coon-tiki seminar to look forward to has been great. I will be headed to TN in a matter of hours now. WOO HOOO or is that YEE HAW ??

COOK-TIKI OR BUST Y'ALL !!!!!!!!!!!

B

8Ft, I think I will just have a grab bag, or box. Just close your eyes and grab one out of the box. Now if you really want the one thet someone else has I don't care if you want to trade, barter, blackmail or use whatever it takes to get the one you want. They are all fairly basic so one is as good as the next, but I'm sure there are already favorites picked. Good Luck.

S

Yep, I have picked my favorite(s)...

T

Hey I aint picky! All are my favorites! I take any (and all!) that the rest of you cats dont want!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-27 12:52 ]

L
Loki posted on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 1:08 PM

I wish all you attending the Coon Tiki best of luck, fun and learning. For those of you traveling, please take care and get there safe. Have fun, fun, fun. I am living vicariously through you guys. We look forward to the stories and take tons of pics. Aloha.

S

I'll add a note in the Tiki Bar Cam thread Thursday, but, for those keeping up with it here, we'll all be in the Hideaway on Thursday night and I'll turn the computer on to share. I don't like to since it makes a lot of noise in the lounge, but, hey, how often do you get Benzart, BK, Pablus, Crazy Al, 8 FT Tiki, TNTiki and Tiki Diablo in your home bar? For me, never! Link is at the top of the page: http://www.swankpad.org

I'm not typically the jealous type, but damn... that's going to be one heck-of-a-time. Don't let us down guys. We'll be wanting stories.

Dang!
As a complete novice and having never carved anything except a bar of soap in the 4th grade, I am SO intimidated right now you guys! Seems like you all know stuff all ready, and Mr. Greenhorn here all by himself in Vegas is shakin' in his boots! I'm gonna look like a total no-talent moron compared to all you guys, so go easy on me, will ya? :)

See ya Friday!

B

TikiLee, you will have it the Easiest of all. Everyone else that Has carving experience is Expected to do well and you have no such expectations. Whatever you do will be 100% better than you have ever done so far that it will be great. Besides, my lesson should be easy and I will help you make it as good as possible. We gotcher back. So come on out and Have Fun!

I'm a total novice to teaching anything, so the playing field (trust me!) is level, my braddah! Anything learned during the day will be re-learned chemically via the magic cocktail shaker in the evening.

I finished the Coon Tiki necklace for those attending this event. I will be doing a hawaiian pop mask or a Tanga mask. The Tang mask will be easier to carve up for all instead of the marq . For me, any chisels you guys bring will do. We'll make them work .

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-03-29 11:13 ]

somebody please help me....!!!!i am lost and am thinking that all you swell carvers out there can help a gal out!!!i have 5 logs i got from a tree guy and thought i would just whip up some tikis...its on my "to-do before i die" list, but now that they are in my back yard i dont know where to start...im a little thing and cant even move them, but im good with leverage....lol. i am thinking i cant really work with a chain saw, too big and wonky, dont want to lose a limb!!!! so any place i can go to get info? ive been searching the web and havent found anything real helpful....i am an artist so i can handle the craving part, but i would rather not go thru the trial and error of learning on my own...cool? any info would be sooooooo amazing! thanks yall!

P
S

Just dropped Ben off at the cabin and got to see those pieces he is working on. Man. They are somethin' else! You wear one of those and you make a bold statement!

Benz,BK and Tiki-D,
All y'all have lotza fun in dem dare Smokies now, y'hear! Pack extree hatch'its, lotza pix-n-chizlez an a kleen pair'a John's...it' cold in dem dare hills! Swanky get out dat jug'O da goood stuff (medizanal strenth) and place da corn cob'z near the winders out back so ta getza kleen shot at the varmits for yer tastee 'vittles sueprize' fer supper!

Whittle till ya can't see straight boyz!!! ...and remember, "If a tall tiki falls in the silent forest...and falls upon a coon 'chipping' in the woods...will anyone hear it?"

flippity-flipflopping-flippp...TravelingJones

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 4:26 PM

Kat,

I live locally and can help you carve some tikis. PM me and we can discuss. If you want, I can do the heavy chainsaw rough outs and you can do all the finish carving. Could be fun!

Head over and check out my thread in reverse order.

-Gman

BK..over and out and Coontiki bound...

hey thanks gman!!! im more of an old fashion gal and do not know what pming means...im just so behind the times...lol!!!! i checked out your site and am impressed! great stuff! ill email ya there, so look for me! thanks a ton!!! ive been warned that those logs are going to be my grave stone!!! haha!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 3:55 PM

Kat,

Just hit the personal message button at the bottom of one of our messages and you can contact us privately through this forum. It's kinda like email, only different. :)

or go here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15632&forum=7&start=630&651

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-03-30 15:56 ]

M

Well the event officially kicks off today! So far this has been an amazing experience! Wednesday night Benzart gave Swanky and I some private instruction. I think I'm hooked on carving now, and so very proud to own half a Benzart! Thursday I got to do lunch with Benzart & Crazy Al while giving them a brief tour of Knoxville and then we hit some antique stores. Thursday night more of the crew came in to town and we all went to dinner... Crazy Al & Basement Kahuna did Karaoke, that was great! By Friday about half the bunch was here so we spent the day at Nawger Nob(the woodcarver's shop) and everybody walked away with some new goodies. We also got to check out a local guy carving driftwood and we spent some time with Captain Dave checking out his collection of wood and his carvings. BK & Tiki Diablo picked up a large, about 6 foot, wood piece - in about 4 hours time they had the thing nearly finished and it looks great! Just amazing! It has been quite a thrill to have the honor of hosting all of these people and to watch them in action! The classs began this morning at 9am - sadly I have to work and can't get back 'till after all the teaching is over, but I have already learned so much just by working with Ben and observing BK & Diablo at work! Everyone is learning already, Benzart has even been giving the pros some tips on tool sharpening. I fully expect to see some really fantastic work come out of this event. We are all taking lots of photos and I'll try to get some posted asap.

P
pablus posted on Sat, Apr 1, 2006 9:17 AM

PICS PICS PICS!!!

Glad you're having fun.
Sounds like a great event.

Wish I was up thar.

sooo jealous.....can't wait to see pics and grab one of the vids!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies