Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

my first carving..

Pages: 1 12 replies

HH

well I attempted to carve my own tiki, it was a lot harder then I thought. I give full props to all those carvers out there. This was done with only a hammer and chisle, nothing fancy, If my ancestors can do with wood and stone I should have no excuse.Anyways I dont feel its done but Im kinda stuck on where to go with him. tell me what u think.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ventura_dj

***Into the volcano with him and the lawyers, but save the chickens!!!!
***- bamboo ben

[ Edited by: hula hula on 2002-11-14 15:55 ]

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Nov 14, 2002 4:20 PM

ey Hula howzit brah,

I tried email you but my computer email is kaput! My first carving looked like SH!t... You did and excellent job for just having a few flat chisles and a malet.!! It looks like you live in an apartment area and cannot run a chain saw. So, you should get some other shaper chizles. "Shapers" are curved chizles for differnt cut forms. Like a V chizle is good for the out line of the tiki. Did you draw it on first? It's hard to tell in the pictures. Draw the face first with some chalk that way if you mess up you can erase it, then start with your V chizzle to follow the lines, after that just use your shapers to start takin out da meat. The tiki on ebay was not touched by a chain saw except for trying to get the top and bottom flat.

gotta get a "V" shaped chizle!! I remember reading in your email that the log was very fiberish...don't waste your time on those logs. Get anuda wun fo carve. Have fun cuz! don't quit!

Oh yeah, my first tiki was UGLY. It was in hardwood and rough too. Hula, I would ditch the rubber mallet and buy a carver's mallet, I use "Wood is Good" brand urethane and this thing is indestructable. The benefits are that it is quieter and it's not going to split like an exotic wood mallet. No oiling it or waxing either. Use a heavy weight and use your wrist, let the weight of the hammer do the work and your arm will feel better. Good luck and keep going. Hey Gecko, Leroy said you are getting your order in. Goodluck also.
Danny

Looks good to me! The effort is obviously there. I have only done a few carvings but I have always cheatedand used light wood. (balsa) I dont pretend to be a carver I just like to make tikis. I am working on a new figure. However, I am using an electric router and a dremel. I guess that is cheating also, but what the heck, It saves me time and my wrist.
Chongolio

R

Speaking o' which... where does a guy get a good palm log when he lives in Dallas, Texas? Anyone? Anyone?

HH

thanks all, I dont recommend palm unless its been throughly dried, Since I find mine out in the desert there usually dried out, one of the first ones I had was very fresh and spongy. I'd like to purchased some cocconut tree wood if I can. If I ever get better I'd like to carve some posts for my bar from Koa. Thats gonna be a long time from now though.I figure i'll just keep practising on whatever I find then start buy logs when im better.

Hula Hula,
So this is the tiki you were telling me about! Glad I got to finally see pictures. Looks like you got a small place to do that carving! What's your wahine say about the mess?! Man, I don't even try to do that stuff - a carver I am NOT! But hey, keep at it. I wanna see more!! Good job bro!

whew! boy did i just have to change gears on my latest carving endevor. I went out and bought some wood chisels and a rubber mallet after spending a half hour with a dremel-like tool and getting nowhere. Unfortuately, the wood is pretty crappy and spinters quite a bit. I think its pine but really not sure. It was big block that was headed for a fire pit until destiny intervened and it became the focus of my latest creative fixation. This one may take a while to complete. Any tips from the carving community on good woods, prefered tools etc? I know I could use all the help I can get on this attempt. That block of wood isn't safe from the fire pit yet!
Chongolio

Patience and great care....it's only done when it's done. With the three things I carved they were all pine, but it was kiln-dried white pine. That Dremel is good for tiny details that a chisel would gouge. Keep those chisels razor sharp (I mean OILSTONE sharp-so sharp you could shave with them) and it makes life a lot easier, too. That may be part of the chipping problem....I don't know. Ask Gecko...the man is a true and consumate pro...I've seen his work and supposedly am getting some for Christmas.

Maybe Chiki or Gecko can give you a recommendation on the best type of wood to carve. I heard that hardwood and palmwood was hard to work with.

thanks for the tips Basement, How do you sharpen a chisel anyway. I really like the work you have done. Yur pics were an inspiration to take on my carving. I really like the tiki room replica and the one you did from the book of tiki cover. If yo think of anything else that might be helpful let us all know.
Chongolio

Thanks for the tips. I am going to keep chipping away. Ha-ha.

I carve out of basswood... real easy to work with...

I've worked with a Dremel and a flex shaft... you can also get a chisel bit flex shaft from a company called Weecher... as soon as you apply pressure to the chisel it reciprocates and chisels the wood..

K

After the oil or waterstone, be sure to strop the edge with a leather strop and compound. It's relatively cheap, and gives you a razor sharp tool with a mirror polish. Helps keep the egde longer too. If you can't find a leather strop and compound (Check art supply stores, or cutlery stores), get them on the web.

Highlandhardware.com is a good place to start.

Ken

Pages: 1 12 replies