Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

WoooHooooOOOOOO! The party's just begun!!!! Happy New Year to all. San Diego has a lot of great T.C.'rs!!!! It's off to the Hanalei for brunch!!!!!!!

M

Yippee... Kiyaaa...

Hangovers are a Beeeaaachahca...
Too much mystery punch... NEED SOUP!!!

P

Hangovers not much of a problem, thanks to Doctor Z's miracle hangover cure. Thanks, Jeff! Wish you were here.

I'd jus' like to say last night's Bali Hai New Year's Eve party was wunnerful! Well worth the crippling hangover I'm suffering today. I tip my silly party hat to all the TC'ers that were there and to those brave souls that soldered on to have brunch at the the Hanalei this morning. A great way to start 2006. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

MR

Had a fantastic time! So happy to have met all the TCers from up north. I'd like to say thank you to Bosko and Truss for opening their tropical paradise of a home to us. I'd also like to thank Onatiki and Moki for having us all over and powering out the awesome cocktails. Got to say the TC community has got to be one of the friendliest bunches of people I've ever been involved with.

O

What a great time!!! Thanks to everybody who made the trek in the crappy weather. We are very lucky to have friends like you!!

Bosko & Truus......What a great place to start our adventure!! Your home is beautiful and awe inspiring. The Kapu tiki room is amazing!! What great treasures you have accumulated.

The second stop was our place. Thanks to those who brought gifts and tried to appese the rain gods. We really enjoyed having all of you here. We'll have to do it again when the weather cooperates. We completly forgot to take pictures at our place, so if anybody took pictures, please feel free to post them.

A special thanks to MonkeyMan for providing the shuttle bus and being the designated driver for the whole day for all of us (hope everyone took care of MonkeyMan and showed their appreciation for the extra effort)

The Bali Hai was a blast. The food & drinks were plentiful and the entertainment was top notch :wink: :wink: The Hanalai brunch was a well needed meal and a calm environment to unwind from the weekends festivities.

For those of you who stayed at the TC hostel, it was our pleasure having everyone here. Nine people, one bathroom...no problem!!! All went well except for a minor leak in the guest house over TikiBird & Utopiandreem's bed. They were so sweet and didn't even say a thing. 'Ona & FreddieFreelance were able to get it tarped and stop the drip before we headed to the Bali Hai. Thanks Freddie!!

Here's are links to our pictures.
Bosko's
Bali Hai

H

I'm so glad that everyone had such a wonderful time! I'm sorry we couldn't be there, but even though we couldn't make it, I want to thank Monkeyman for making it all happen. It's really great to see that everyone got to get together.

Wooooooooo Hooooooooo!!!

Loooks like this guy had fun!!!

Where da rest o pics at??!!!

Hurry up you slackers!!! ( you couldn't be THAT hungover!!!)

But then again, Monkey Man looks a little white, sweaty and red eyed in this pic......

Bring on the pics!! We want to see them all. sounds like it was a blast!!

Don't want to parrot the others too much, but we had a great time, special thanks to Monkeyman for oragnizing and driving, and to Bosko & Truus, Onatiki & Moki for opening their houses to us.
See you all at the next event,
Ran

M

On 2006-01-03 11:26, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Don't want to parrot the others too much, but we had a great time, special thanks to Monkeyman for oragnizing and driving, and to Bosko & Truus, Onatiki & Moki for opening their houses to us.
See you all at the next event,
Ran

HEH-HEH...he said PARROT! :)

M

Sorry I dont have any photos to add. I did not have a camera with me.

I do want to say super huge thanks to Bosko, Truus, Onatiki, and Moki for letting me bring a busload of folks by their homes.

Another big thanks for Moki our brunch organizer and Jab our Friday night organizer.

The weather tried to throw us a curveball but it did not stop us from having a good time. Everything went just as planned. We got to all of our destinations on time and the van rental ended up being a much bigger benefit than originally realized.

With the rain, it served as a short distance taxi to keep folks dry, we could fit all the carvings that we purchased at Bosko's and best of all it allowed 13 of us to hang out and chat a bit longer than the rest. Next year lets work on filling TWO vans.

Thanks to everyone who attended and made it fun.

The waitress at the Bali Hai cracked us all up when I asked her for a "Navy Grog" and she said, "Just a minute, I will see if the bartender has the ingredients for that".

She returned 5 minutes later and said, "Im sorry, I asked the bartender and he said he doesnt know what a MARDI GRAS is?"

I said "Mardi Gras?. I didnt ask for a Mardi Gras.... I wanted a NAVY GROG." We all laughed and she returned sometime later with the proper drink.

Everyone including the staff was having a good time that night.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-01-03 13:26 ]

T

Roxy and I want to thank everyone for a great weekend. We both agree it was our favorite New Year's!! I was a bit apprehensive not knowing anyone or what to expect and bringing two friends along who know nothing about tiki. We were pleasantly surprised and still cannot get over how warm, friendly and accepting the group was. I think I have a new convert to tiki (I won't mention any names). We also want to thank MonkeyMan for organizing the event and Onatiki and Moki for their hospitality. Hope to see you all soon.

C

Give me another day for pictures! Technical brain not functioning!

Thanks to Monkeyman for planning this enchanting NYE party and bar tour. Missed Boskos, but caught up at Onatiki's and as always met new an interesting people. Onatiki's met us with warm hospitality and cold drinks in the rain!

Also a big Mahalo to our designated driver, Monkeyman, for shuttling us safely from here to there. We greatly appreciated it (as do our kids) and hope all of us drunks were at least entertaining to you!

Dale you are truly the Dancing Queen and loved our NYE freak off (you too, Derek!)!

Thanks to all who made us feel welcome, we really enjoyed ringing in a fabulous new year with the TC Ohana.

Cyndee & Greg

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2006 3:28 PM

Thanks to all who joined me on Friday night. Your host got a little blasted by the time dinner was served (a Rum Barrel at Kick_the_reverb's and 3 manhattans got the better of me). Good thing I had a motel room right behind Albie's! I hope you all had a good time.

It was a dream come true to see Bosko's place on Saturday, and Ona Tiki and Moki's place was beautiful. The rain added to the tropical atmosphere. The Bali Hai was loads of fun. I spent much of the night upstairs at the bar drinking Goof Punches out of a Mr. Bali Hai mug. I got a pretty good look at the bartender making it, and was pleasantly surprised that Coruba and Lemon Hart rums went into the drink, along with some Ronrico light rum, passion fruit syrup, and I what I think was pineapple juice and OJ. I still like the Goof Punch better then the Bali Hai Mai Tai, but it really depends on who is pouring.

Just before midnight I lost my vintage tiki cufflink. It was like the last gasp of a pretty crappy year for many folks, but I think 2006 promises to be a better year because I found the cufflink after midnight! Roxanne and Tigerlily poured me a glass of Veuve Clicquot and we all watched the fireworks over the San Diego harbor. A lovely way to ring in the new year.

The Sunday brunch at the Islands was way better then I expected it to be. Mmmm, tasty lamb and prime rib. Then me and Unga Bunga had a couple beers at Lancer's Cocktail Lounge, made a revisit to Ona Tiki's house to see it after dark, and then to Pacific Shores, an underwater-themed bar from the 40s in Ocean Beach, followed by last call at the Lounge at the Half Moon Inn, and a small party in our room to split a bottle of champagne that Piphiro provided.

On Monday I tried to drive all the way home in the nasty storm, but had a front tire blowout on a wet stretch of highway 101 last night. It was hair raising, but I managed to pull over without getting struck. It was way too dangerous to change the tire in the dark as it was on the driver side next to oncoming traffic. I was relieved that I have AAA and a cell phone, but I had to talk to 2 seperate people at AAA because they couldn't find the towns I was near on their stupid computer system. I even suggested they look at the same paper AAA map I was using that had the towns clearly marked but they were clueless! After about an hour a highway patrolman arrived and got a hold of the AAA driver so he could locate my car. I ended up staying the night in Arroyo Grande so I could buy a new tire. Note to self: buy some new flares that work.

Mahalo Bosko and Truus, OnaTiki and Moki, Kick-the-reverb and his lovely wife, and most of all to Monkeyman for a great time.

I didn't take enough pics but here's a few:

The brief sunny spell on Sunday morning at the Half Moon Inn:

OnaTiki and me

A wee bit of OnaTiki's bar:

Sunday night at Pacific Shores, from left: roxy, unga bunga, Matt Reese, piphiro, me, and tigerlily

The glorious facade of Pacific Shores:

On 2006-01-02 15:10, OnaTiki wrote:

For those of you who stayed at the TC hostel, it was our pleasure having everyone here. Nine people, one bathroom...no problem!!! All went well except for a minor leak in the guest house over TikiBird & Utopiandreem's bed. They were so sweet and didn't even say a thing. 'Ona & FreddieFreelance were able to get it tarped and stop the drip before we headed to the Bali Hai. Thanks Freddie!!

And Derek, too. He helped get the cover over the skylight & helped bring up the rocks that held the tarp down.

On 2006-01-03 13:20, Monkeyman wrote:
Next year lets work on filling TWO vans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was the first official/unofficial Tiki Central San Diego Bar Crawl Tour. I had a great time and look forward to the next!
Thanks Monk! Bosko & Truus, Onatiki & Moki.

B

Mahalo to Monkeyman, Moki, Onatiki, The Jab, Bosko, Truus, and all that turned out for this. We had a very happy New Year. We do not usually go out on New Years but this was worth travelling for. Onatiki's lamps and carvings look great in person and their home/bar is still tops. They served the "Shark Bite" that had a bloody shark jaw/necklace as a garnish.......blue and tasty. I thought there was no way anyone was hungry after lunch at Islands, cocktails and bar snacks at Bosko's and the looming buffet at Bali Hai. Turns out Tcers are pro eaters as well as drinkers. 3 pounds of Mrs. Fury's Hawaiian meatballs, as well as dip, chips, and Moki's appetizers (eggrolls, and......?) were gone quickly. Stay in the kitchen if you want the good stuff. And there was still room for Monkeyman's 500 lb Hershey bar that he brought. Thanks also to the Reverbs for Sunday cocktails after the Hanalei.....

C

Here goes with some pics:

The secret handshake to get into the party!

"Francine & Frank" aka "The Countess & the Count" aka.....(Your caption goes here)

Which one is the designated driver?

Woohoo!

Saul & Joyce

Tikibird & Utopiandream

Somebody's Dreamgirl

Gettin' his Freak On!

The Hanalei Brunch:

Aloha!

[ Edited by: cyntiki 2006-01-04 22:26 ]

[ Edited by: cyntiki 2006-01-05 18:59 ]

M
Moki posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 10:30 PM

Great pictures. They made us laugh. Let's do it all again!!

That close up of the little guy is classic. I'm sure that his parents would love a copy. Great shot!!

We know you have more pictures of the dancing girls. Come on....post them!!

Aloooohhhha!!!!

C

She says more...she gets more...

It was a fun night!

M

Kitty and I took a tip from PiPhiRho and peddled down from the Sea World area to Shelter Island on Friday afternoon. It was our first time in San Diego so we had to do that pilgrimage. (I thought the Bali Hai used Myers Rum in their Mai Tais.) That was one great setting and a very beautiful city. We were sorry to not be able to catch up with Jab and his group later that night but we ran out of time and were not really in that area. And of course it is obvious that you main-eventers had a great time. Happy New Year.

So are we hitting the Bali Hai again this year? I was talking to some friends yesterday about how much fun it was last year, and they were stoked anough about it that we made plans on the spot to be there this year (assuming the rumored renovations at the Bali Hai haven't started by then -- any news about that?).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies