Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

new years eve 2005- so cal-Thanks Everybody

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

Ok, I'm in-- Just booked my room at Humphrey's! Looking forward to ringing 2006 in with a bang!

*** HUMPHREYS HALF MOON INN**** UPDATE

I have recently received a reply from the group sales coordinator at Humphreys Half Moon Inn.

We are confirmed as a GROUP and have all been offered the rate of $144 p/night (for a 2 night stay). Our group has been organized for the nights of Dec 31 and Jan 01.

Our group name is "TIKI CENTRAL". Make sure you mention this group.

To ensure that you are reserved as part of our group, please make sure that you phone their onsite 800 number during their business hours 8-5 pac time (not the nationwide call center).

1-800-377-1177

By associating yourself with the group you should get better room placement (in reasonable proximity to other TCers).

IMPORTANT- IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE YOUR RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CONTACT THE HALF MOON INN USING THEIR 800 NUMBER AND GET YOUR RATE REDUCED AND ASSOCIATE YOURSELF WITH THE TIKI CENTRAL GROUP.

I am always available for questions via PM or email.

Derek

Home Bar Tour-

As you already know, I am trying to orchestrate a home bar tour on 1 of the 2 days during the event.

My preference would be to do it on Saturday Afternoon (Dec 31) so that everyone is free from hangovers and can simply hang out on Shelter Island on Sunday.

I know that some of you will be flying into town on Saturday and I dont want to exclude anyone who wants to participate.

If the bar tour started at NOON on Saturday would that work for everyones travel Schedule?

The Bali Hai event starts at 6:30pm and I would want to get everyone through the bar tour and back to their rooms with enough time to get ready for the event.

Let me know by responding to this thread.

I have at least 2 MAJOR stops on the home bar tour and we could possibly stop for a plate lunch on our drive. We will sprinkle the home bar tour with other destinations as we have time.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-04 08:15 ]

MM,
This is shaping up to be one fine weekend! Not sure when others will be checking in but I will be checking on Friday, 12/30 after driving down from work. No sense in waiting until Saturday to start my weekend in SD.

I'm totally in for the home bar tour and totally in for the bowling tournament... you wanna bowl??? BRING IT!

Pop, Isn't there a strip club-bowling center down there? :D

Looking forward to this event!

Like I mentioned on the previous thread, I would welcome all TCers to The Lava-Flow-Inn for the home bar tour. Monkeyman please contact me to work out the details. I am looking forward to the whole weekend.

On 2005-11-14 09:34, Monkeyman wrote:
I am working on a Tiki Central Bowling tournament for Sunday evening if anyone is interested.... I am making an official trophy. This event is tentative because the "Island Themed" Sunset Bowl that I was planning on having the event at apparently closed after 35 years last August. The other bowling alley is not sure yet if they are open on New Years Day. More to follow.

NOoooooo! I just went past there on Sunday and was thinking: "I wish I had time to stop in, but I gotta get the car washed & get back home..." :(

I'm trying to get our Son-in-Law nailed down about whether we have the Gran'Daughter or not on New Years, hopefully we'll know in the next few days & can get our tickets for New Years. Even if we can't do the New Years at the Bali Hai I think we might be able to do the New Years Day Brunch & Bowling, and I might do the Home Bar Crawl by myself.

WooHoo!! Today's the day (11/16) to call Bali Hai and let them know that you will be attending their New Year's Eve Event. Just call (619)222-1181 and tell them you are with Tiki Central. They will just need your name, phone #, & # of people in your party.

Done! The woman I just spoke to at the Bali Hai said they already had 18 TCers signed up. Woo-hoo!

The Dress Code for the Bali Hai event is "anything goes".

Hawaiian Shirts to Tuxedos.

I will be sporting a Tapa Print Sport Coat.

Come On TC Lets represent. Wear the best vintage wear youve got.

Payment is taken at the time of arrival so all you need to do right now is call in and get your reservation.

They seem genuinely excited to have such support from Tiki Central.

On 2005-11-16 16:34, Monkeyman wrote:
The Dress Code for the Bali Hai event is "anything goes".

Hawaiian Shirts to Tuxedos.

I will be sporting a Tapa Print Sport Coat.

Come On TC Lets represent. Wear the best vintage wear youve got.

I'm planning on wearing my Ty-D-Bol Blue Crushed Velvet Tuxedo jacket with my Wine Red Crushed Velvet platform-soled oxford-cut Chuck Taylors, I just haven't decided what color ruffled shirt to wear, anyone have suggestions? :D

On 2005-11-16 16:34, Monkeyman wrote:
They seem genuinely excited to have such support from Tiki Central.

They probably remember some of our previous bar tabs. :wink: Plus, I always try to mention Tiki Central to Waitrons & Bartenders whenever I go.

Tie-dye a white ruffled shirt.Unless you think that's too much.(hee-hee).

Mrs. Fury and I will be there......I hope to not be still wearing this.....

M
Moki posted on Wed, Nov 23, 2005 2:54 PM

'Ona's pretty good with concrete. Maybe he can use some plaster and turn that cast into a Tiki Cast!! The docs will love it !! :wink:

O

Tickets are now available for the New Year's Eve dinner and show. We spoke with the owner of the Bali Hai last night and he said that 20 TC'ers have paid for their tickets and this event will sell out by the middle of December. So if you're gonna go, contact him soon.

Can't wait!!!

H

Nice calve bongo!??

TB

Utopiandreem & I just committed to the New Years Bali Hai show & will be at Hanalei hotel bruch. Cant wait to see you all there!

TBird.

I have cancelled the reservation for the suite at the Half Moon Inn. It appears that we really dont need it as everyone has taken care of lodging arrangements on their own.

We will do a roll call in the next couple weeks to get a final idea of whos coming.

Thanks all

M

Picked up our Bali Hai tickets this past weekend so we'll definitely be there. I can confirm that the owner is genuinely excited about having our group there.

Also, since we're local, we were having a difficult time justifying a 2 night manditory stay at the Half Moon Inn. We did a little calling around and found a really good alternative deal...

Island Palms, located within easy stumbling distance from Half Moon Inn, does not have any minimum length of stay. We were able to book one of their premium rooms there for $89. The only catch is that you need an Entertainment Book Card to qualify for that rate, otherwise it would be $159. That rate more than justifies purchasing an Entertainment Book.

Maybe this lower priced alternative will entice a few more to this cool event... Hope to see you there!

ModMana :drink:

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and I received our Bali Hai Tickets in the mail today!!

Ringin' In 2006 With TC Ohana Is Gonna Be Great!

Southwest Airlines is currently having a BIG sale featuring flights to/ from San Diego!! Actt fastt! :)

T

On 2005-11-30 11:39, mrsmiley wrote:
Southwest Airlines is currently having a BIG sale featuring flights to/ from San Diego!! Actt fastt! :)

I looked into that yesterday. Most of those low fares are blacked out. From Oakland it's $79 each way but requires flying down on Sat. the 31st. and back on Tues. the 3rd. So I'm driving down, probably mid-week, and returning with the masses on Monday.

Here is the menu / schedule for New Years at Bali Hai.

Bali Hai New Year's Eve Party

6:30 No Host Cocktails & Appetizers
7:30 Deluxe Dinner Buffet

Hawaiian Blackend Prime Rib of Beef
with Maui Onion au jus

Salmon Imperial
Sweet & Sour Shrimp
Kahulua Pork
Key Lime Cheesecake, Chocolate Marquis & Raspberry Mousse Cake
9:15 Dancing
10:15 Polynesian Floor Show
11:15 Dancing
Midnight - Celebration with favors & Champagne

$85.00 per person

Must Call for Reservations (619)222-1181

Im working on a role call to see how many folks we should expect.

1. Monkeyman
  2. Wierd Uncle Tiki
  3. Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa
  4. Unga Bunga
  5. Al-ii
  6. WooHoo Wahine
  7. Kick the Reverb
  8. Mrs. Kick the Reverb
  9. Modmana
  10. Mrs. Mod Mana
  11. Moki
  12. Onatiki
  13. Bongofury
  14. Mrs. Bongofury
  15. Matt Reese
  16. Tiki Boomboom
  17. Dangergirl299 ?
  18. The Jab
  19. Polynesian Pop
  20. Dr. Miguelito
  21. Soccertiki
  22. Freddiefreelance ?
  23. Tikibird
  24. Utopian Dream
  25. PiPhiRho
  26. Tigerlily
  27. Friend #1 of Tigerlily
  28. Friend #2 of Tigerlily

Those names with question marks are listed because I know that you had some interest but I am not sure if you have committed.

If anyone is interested in the home bar tour on Saturday at noon, Please let me know so that we can arrange for transportation for you.

If you are on this list and want to be removed, let me know.

On the flip side, if you are NOT on this list and want to be added let me know.

Regardless of whether you are on this list or not you still need to make your own Bali Hai and lodging arrangements.

Thanks so much for everyones interest.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-03 11:25 ]

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2005-12-03 19:02 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-03 19:03 ]

P

Got my ticket and reservations already. The home bar tour sounds great, too.

T
thejab posted on Sat, Dec 3, 2005 4:13 PM

I'm in! You can remove that question mark. I'm sharing a room at Humphrey's with Unga Bunga.

T

Please count me in and possibly two friends. We have two rooms reserved and I have my ticket for the show. We also want to be included in the home bar tour. Can't wait it's going to be fun!!

M

Please volunteer if you are willing to be a home bar tour driver.

At the moment, I this is the confirmed vehicle list.

Vehicle- Monkeybus
Will be out of town with my wife and kids. We need some capacity y'all.

Vehice- Onawagon
Driver-Onatiki
Passengers-5 (driver included)

We will be covering a round trip total of 60 miles so it would be great to have as FEW cars as possible making the loop.

Who else has a van or SUV that can carry more than 4 people?

I can be reached via email, PM, or cell phone at 760-458-3687

Derek

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-04 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-04 19:25 ]

I'm still a question mark for NYE, but it's looking pretty grim that I could make it. I'm planning on being in the Home Bar Crawl though, and would wear my Blue Velvet Tux & Wine Red Velvet Chuck Taylors to that if I can't go on NYE. Anything new on the New Years Day Brunch, is it happening?

M
Moki posted on Sun, Dec 4, 2005 7:28 PM

The brunch is happening!!

Please PM me or post here so we can get a head count for the brunch reservations. I'm helping MonkeyMan get this part of the weekend together.

We're going to have so much fun!! Get your livers ready!! We'll have plenty of Dr.Z's hangover cure ready.
:drink: :drink: :drink:

For the bar tour, I can take 2 passengers in my van. Count me in for the brunch, too.

TB

Hey Moki, were there for the brunch!

TBird.

I've totally procrastinated on the News Years Eve thing. I wanna go! I'll call tomorrow and see if we can still get tickets.

M

Thanks again Derek for keeping this so well organized! We will be bringing along 2 friends to the events if you want to add them to your master list. Also, if needed, we can provide transportation. However, we are in serious need of some serious cocktail consumption and would prefer to not be designated drivers this time, but we're flexible. Really looking forward to this!

ModMana :drink:

T
thejab posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 3:04 PM

On 2005-12-07 22:08, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
I've totally procrastinated on the News Years Eve thing. I wanna go! I'll call tomorrow and see if we can still get tickets.

Yes! I haven't seen you since that Bali Hai after-Thanksgiving thing a couple years back.

I also stopped procrastinating and just booked my ticket for the Bali Hai party. Larry says there are 30 people reserved now so act soon if you're a procrastinator like me and Shipwreckjoey.

We're in! Please add me and Mustang Sally to the guest list. See yas all on New Years Eve. :drink: :drink:

UB

Shipwreckjoey in the hut!!

M

The Half Moon Inn had originally set aside a block of 20 rooms for anyone on TC who was going to take advantage of the group rate.

They currently show 8 rooms that were reserved by TCers.

The remaining rooms have been released from the block and will now be available again to the general public.

I was glad to see that a few folks were able to take advantage of the arrangement.

B

We're in for the bar tour and brunch. Lookin forward to seeing everyone!

In for the bar tour. If you've never been to Bosko's you're in for a treat. The Kapu Tiki Room rules!

In for the bar tour as well.

OK everybody.

I know that the "big event" is on Saturday (ie- Bar Tour and Bali Hai Bonanza) but last year in Palm Springs most of us were there for 2 nights and as a result were looking for activities the night after as well.

Im not sure how many folks are staying 2 nights this time or how many San Diegans are up for 2 days of rebel rousing but I would like to help put together a late afternoon activity on Sunday for those interested.

As it stands right now, we have the Hanalei Brunch in the morning. Moki will let us know the timeline.

Im thinking that immediately after the brunch folks could do what they want for a few hours and then maybe around 3:30 or 4pm we could get together again.

I have confirmed that the closest bowling alley (15 minutes away) WILL be open on New Years day. Its not retro or tiki styled but it is a bowling alley. I am waiting for a response to see if they could accomodate us as a group.

-OR-

Another option for those inclined would be billiards and video games at Dave and Busters for a couple hours. (also 15 minutes away)

-OR-

We simply park at a parking structure in Downtown, get appetizers at Mr. Tiki and then roam the gaslamp district for a while.

Afterward we could do a mild room party (depending on how folks are feeling).

Please respond to the thread so we can all see if there is any interest or preference.

In for the bar tour, no ball games for me though (that includes bowling), but every other Sunday activity sounds interesting.

Thanks
Ran

I hate to over complicate things and bludgeon folks with a constant source of options but I have ONE more thing to address.

The Monkeybus will be out of town with my family so we wont have the 7 seat capacity for the bar tour. So far we appear to only have a selection of 4 and 5 passenger cars available.

I can rent a van for the day that seats 15 people and will make for only one designated driver for 14 passengers(good ratio).

The van rental price (including tax) is $130 + $30(estimated) to refill the tank.

If each person on the van contributed $11-12 dollars that would cover it. I could rent it for TWO days (obviously doubling the cost) if there seems to be a need. I would be responsible for picking up and returning the vehicle.

The drive from the Half Moon to Boskos and then to Ona's is roughly 75 miles round trip.

If we have too many vehicles making the drive, folks could get lost, fall behind etc.

Out of towners will probably need transport. In towners can obviously do what they want.

The home bar tour will START and END at the Half Moon Inn.

Be READY in the Humphreys Half Moon Inn Parking lot by 11 AM on Saturday Dec 31.

Here is the VAN passenger list

1. Monkeyman
  2. TikiBird
  3. Utopian Dream
  4. Polynesian Pop
  5. Guest of Poly Pop
  6. Unga Bunga
  7. Wierd Uncle Tiki
  8. Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa
  9. Kick the Reverb
  10. Mrs. Reverb
  11. The Jab
  12. Pi Phi Rho
  13. Al-ii
  14. Tigerlilly
  15. Friend of Tigerlily

Keep in mind that this van is just a way to simplify the trip and keep it fun. Anyone is entitled to drive themself. PM me for the addresses and directions during the 2 stop home bar tour.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-12-28 16:27 ]

TB

I would be up for Mr. Tiki & Gaslamp district roaming, as far as the rented van, i would be in for that.

TBird.

Count me in for the van for sure (count me in for 2).

For Sunday, I was planning on going to the Wavehouse in Mission Beach for a drink or two followed by late afternoon appetizers at the Barefoot Bar in Paradise Point.

Anyone who'd like to join me is welcome to.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies