Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 6, May 4-7, 2006 **New Info pg. 7**

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

Hmmm??? The only problem with having Tiki Oasis in San Diego is that everything is so spread out. Yes, there is tons of things to do and see in SD but isn't the point of Tiki Oasis is to takeover one place and just have lots of fun in the sun and not have to worry about getting from place to place? Kind of like being on a Cruise ship, just unpack your bags and enjoy the weekend.

A

On 2005-11-04 12:21, thejab wrote:

...There are some great piano bars a short cab ride away from the Hanalei. And it is minutes to old town, the presidio, and mission bay so there are plenty of tourist options, while it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to a freeway from shelter island...

... don't forget 'bout the gem of the western hemisphere, balboa park...

I
IKABOD posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2005 3:20 PM

UN-F@$%^EN-BELIEVABLE! Last year was my first year at this event. For a good sold 2 months I had Tiki withdrawls. But I was tempered by the fact that we would be returning the next year... fez's and all. But now I'm not only sad but really pissed off. I recently got back from Hukilau (had a wonderfull time Tikikiliki!), and what happens. The MaiKai gets schooled by Wilma. I really hope this is resolved soon and that our people can find a place to settle and get on with the fun of tiki. Crap now I need a drink........

I'm sure gonna miss the Caliente. Even though all this talk of San Diego as a new site for Tiki Oasis VI sounds appealing (and convenient for ME), I just can't see the Hanalei (Red Lion Corp) or Humphreys Half Moon giving us carte blanch to run amok as has been the case with the Caliente in past years. But times change and we must too I guess. That reminds me of a line from Kurt Vonnegut's book Breakfast of Champions when describing the inscription on a poor black man's tombstone who spent most of his life in jail and never caught a break: "HE ADAPTED TO WHATEVER THERE WAS TO ADAPT TO" and so can we.

I was so sad when I heard about all the hoopla, I really liked the vibe at the Caliente. San Diego seems like a good option, especially the Hanalei (sp?). But then again, some place in the middle of nowhere like the Yucca Inn could be fun. But what we've got to remember is that it all comes down to the Tiki people. You could have the time of your life just sitting out in a dirt patch if you've got fun people with you, and Tiki people are the most fun!

T

If I may throw in my $0.25, I think the Oasis should be held at the Bali Hai in San Diego. Bali Hai has their famous South Pacific room downstairs... large enough to host a good size get together. Plus there is also a lot of room outside for vendors, etc. The Bali Hai management has said they are interested in restoring a lot of the Tiki ambience in the place, and would seem favorable to hosting such an event.

Shelter Island has plenty of Tiki-themed (and formerly Tiki-themed) hotel space for the out-of-towners. And the Hanalei is just a 15 min drive from Bali Hai. Perhaps a cooperative effort between the Bali Hai, Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge, and the Hanalei would be in order. There are also a bunch of local Tiki vendors who might just be interested in serving as sponsors.

Oh, and by the way Unga Bunga. You've got Les Girls and the Body Shop strip clubs, just up the street on Rosescrans. :)

R

Although San Diego is a great destination with plenty of awesome tiki themed places throughout, there is a couple of things that make it unappealing as a possible venue for Tiki Oasis 6.

1- It is definitely more costly to stay in Shelter Island than in the desert.

2- (In my opinion the biggest downside) The average temperature in San Diego in May is 69 degrees. Palm Springs is 92 degrees.

WooHoo! Riptide I agree with you. Desert Oasis with warm weather is the place to be. San Diego is a great place but so spread out. Who wants to drive around? Having fun in the Sun at one location sounds good to me :) I still think The Yucca Inn would be a great location.

M

I just got word from Otto that the next Oasis will be held at the Kahiki Palms Motel in Yucca Valley. http://www.kahikipalms.com/ Why there I asked him? He said the rates are cheap ; $29.00 per night with big bugs in your room, $39 without AND he wanted to host an event that people would be dieing to attend!

tee hee

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-12-05 17:50 ]

On 2005-12-05 17:47, mrsmiley wrote:
I just got word from Otto that the next Oasis will be held at the Kahiki Palms Motel in Yucca Valley. http://www.kahikipalms.com/ Why there I asked him? He said the rates are cheap ; $29.00 per night with big bugs in your room, $39 without AND he wanted to host an event that people would be dieing to attend!

I love how they brag about having hot and cold running water and clean bed sheets.
Go to there 3-D tour for a laugh.

Hi hear there are some room parties planned at the Kahiki Palms, which might include members of the famous travelling band Banjo & Sullivan.

Ran

On 2005-12-06 11:14, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Hi hear there are some room parties planned at the Kahiki Palms, which might include members of the famous travelling band Banjo & Sullivan.
Ran

I know we are off topic, but here is a little dig what Reverb is talking about(for those who don't know)

"The next year, while touring in support of the latest album Where The End Meets The Road and the single “Lord, Don’t Let Me Die In A Cheap Motel,“ Banjo & Sullivan checked into The Kahiki Palms Motel after a rousing run of gigs. While the exact details of the grisly crime are unknown, what is certain is that Gloria, Wendy and roadie Jimmy Cracker were murdered there by a group later dubbed as The Devil’s Rejects. Roy and Adam were never found and were presumed dead.

On 2005-12-06 11:47, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2005-12-06 11:14, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Ran

I know we are off topic, but here is a little dig what Reverb is talking about(for those who don't know)

"The next year, while touring in support of the latest album Where The End Meets The Road and the single “Lord, Don’t Let Me Die In A Cheap Motel,“ Banjo & Sullivan checked into The Kahiki Palms Motel after a rousing run of gigs. While the exact details of the grisly crime are unknown, what is certain is that Gloria, Wendy and roadie Jimmy Cracker were murdered there by a group later dubbed as The Devil’s Rejects. Roy and Adam were never found and were presumed dead.

Ok, I'll bite! Is there any truth to these stories??? I mean, someone went to a lot of trouble to authenticate the surrounding attractions of the "Kahiki Palms Motel"!!! Did it really exist in 1978? Kudos to the creator of that website!
SoccerTiki

T

Did it really exist in 1978? SoccerTiki

Well, that is just the date that the web page was created. I hear the place has run down a little since then.

TB

Okay, I'm gullable, is this true? I mean the picture of the Kahiki Palm--does sport a palm tree and a tiki, but I see a WHOLE lot of tumble weed.

M

The Kahiki Palms is a set used in the Rob Zombie movie, The Devil's Rejects. http://www.thedevilsrejects.com

OK, I'm a little confused. Is it a real hotel that was used in the movie, or is it something built just for the movie, and this is all a put-on? Not that I mind a put-on; I'm such a cynic that I kinda enjoy it when I've been "had." :)
oxo
~Pepper

Pepper got me too...I was trying look up the number, googlin' it, etc.
GOT ME!

Woah, slow down. Throw 'er in reverse. I'm a little hung over. WILL THE TIKI OASIS BE HELD AT THIS KAHIKI PALMS JOINT OR NOT? Give it to us straight, some of us didn't see Rob Zombie's movie.

Ok, you got me. I just visited the website of the "Kahiki Palms", which I shoulda done in the first place...That's frickin' Club Ed!! I'm shooting there tomorrow! You guys suck.

But really, where WILL the T-O-6 be held?

But really, where WILL the T-O-6 be held?

Hang tight tikitourtured.... a little tiki bird just told me that news regarding Tiki Oasis is on the near horizon......

Please tell me it will be San Diego and not in East Jesus somewhere.

On 2005-12-15 12:43, tikitortured wrote:

I saw Otto last night and he said Tiki Oasis 6 was going to be at the Conga Lounge this year.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2005 12:37 PM

yes, it will be in San Diego!

I was planning on sending out a save the date announcement this weekend pending receipt of info from the hotel I am negotiating with but since Ben has chosen to blow my cover here I have to make this pre-announcement

It will be the first weekend in May Thur, May 4 - Sun, May 7

It will be in San Diego on Shelter Island and include offsite visits to Mr Tiki and Hanalei/Islands

as well as private, limited home bar tour events

I will release the info as soon as I have secured the space and dates for the event

no, it will not be at the conga lounge.

On 2005-12-15 23:31, RevBambooBen wrote:

I saw Otto last night and he said Tiki Oasis 6 was going to be at the Conga Lounge this year.

On 2005-12-16 12:37, Otto wrote:

I was planning on sending out a save the date announcement this weekend pending receipt of info from the hotel I am negotiating with but since Ben has chosen to blow my cover here I have to make this pre-announcement

It will be in San Diego on Shelter Island and include offsite visits to Mr Tiki and Hanalei/Islands

I will release the info as soon as I have secured the space and dates for the event

On 2005-12-15 23:31, RevBambooBen wrote:

Arrrrrrrr!!!! :)

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Dreams DO come true!! San Diego/Shelter island is the most perfect/logical place for TO6!
Thanks Otto and Baby Doe, good luck with the planning and such. See you there!

On 2005-12-16 12:37, Otto wrote:

Otto, Sounds like you've been reading the "New Year's Eve at Bali Hai" thread! We'll give you an update after the BIG NYE celebration!!!

Otto ~ Any news on the location yet???

D

AWESOME! San Diego is my home town! I am going to plan on being there for my first Oasis!!!!!

Nuts, Monica (my wife) and I are planning a trip back to Waikiki for our 5th in late May, staying at the Royal Hawaiian which is our favorite place on Earth but it'll really suck up the ol' bank account, so probably no TO in SD for me this year. Of course Otto lives upstairs from me so my life is pretty much TO 24-7.

A

... the shelter pointe resort, as the alohabros understand it, will revert to the name "kona kai"... the restaurant, formerly aj's waterside, will go back to the kona kai name (some signage and menus have already received the moniker)... some bamboo trinkets and similar affectations have already been placed in the otherwise oddly adorned restaurant... atlas hotel group recently acquired the property from pacifica and, as one employee mentioned, may put an emphasis on some polynesian decor... maybe tcers should get involved to make this happen...

Any News on What Hotel on Shelter Island will be hosting Tiki Oasis this year???

Sweet Jeezus! What a roller coaster thread!

I started off so depressed about the tribulations surrounding the Caliente Tropics, then almost fell out of my chair laughing when everybody wanted to know if TO would be held at Rob Zombie's fictional blood drenched Kahiki Palms and now I find out that Tiki Oasis 6 is coming to my own kauhale!!

Mahalo nui loa, Otto!- Hodadhank

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 9:33 PM

I am visiting San Diego this coming weekend Jan 20, 21

I will be staying at the Hanalei Fri Jan 20

I will let you know what transpires as soon as I return

thanks for the votes of support for San Diego

Any news yet?

M

On 2006-01-18 11:14, Atomicchick wrote:
Any news yet?

Sorry to be a (whatever). But these type of questions are rather silly and unneeded. I know for a FACT that Otto WILL post official info AS SOON AS he has it finalized!
It is not that the event is all planned , signed ,sealed, etc and he keeps forgetting to post it. Keep reading this thread (or TC in general) and everyone will get the news when it happens. No need to keep asking, folks. Sorry for being a crab! I love you all, really! :) -love, MR Thirsty, Crabby Smiley!!

On 2006-01-13 21:33, Otto wrote:

... I am visiting San Diego this coming weekend Jan 20, 21...

... when in sd make sure to check out the isa contest at oceanside pier 01.21.06... some super hot groms will be bustin' airs and throwin' buckets... first heat starts at 7am... support the sd groms... some may be future tc'ers...

C

Mr. Smily wrote:

Sorry to be a (whatever). But these type of questions are rather silly and unneeded. I know for a FACT that Otto WILL post official info AS SOON AS he has it finalized!
It is not that the event is all planned , signed ,sealed, etc and he keeps forgetting to post it. Keep reading this thread (or TC in general) and everyone will get the news when it happens. No need to keep asking, folks. Sorry for being a crab! I love you all, really! :) -love, MR Thirsty, Crabby Smiley!!

Don't be sorry Mr. Smiley. I'm feelin kind of crabby this week too! Must be lack of food~~trying to get my trim figure back before Oasis VI!

[ Edited by: cyntiki 2006-01-18 15:30 ]

Wow it's been awhile since I've been on any board other than the Bilge. I just read through the whole thread. Well many thanks to Otto for busting his ass just to give us a weekend party. Hey Casey, man sounds like you got screwed the worst on that whole thing. I would tell you something like don't worry karma will get those guys, but man, it seems like karma has been on break for awhile or something. Whatever, all you can do is be a good person, and everyone here knows that you are a good person. I remember my trip to San Diego for Sven's Tiki Talk. Shelter Island is a very cool place and ultimately Tiki Oasis was made great by the people who came together. I'm sure all those people plan on being at the next Oasis so I don't see why anything should change.

Hey Otto I don't know if you feel it's worth so much hassle just to set up a party, but I just wanted to let you know how much all the Tcers look forward to it each year and how much we appreciate the fact that you have been busting your ass to make this happen.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 12:00 PM

On 2006-01-18 11:14, Atomicchick wrote:
Any news yet?

OK, here's the news
I will post a full announcement to TC within the next week
Tiki Oasis 6 will happen in San Diego May 4 -7 at multiple locations
the hotel of choice is Hanalei -DO NOT - I repeat, do not call the hotel or attempt to book into it for any of those days until I release the procedure
I have reserved a room block of 150 rooms with an optional 30 more - more than what we booked over three hotels last year so it will not sell out before every TC member has a chance to book in, OK? Don't call them, they won't book to you. If you do get a room on those dates you will be screwing me out of commission and screwing yourself because you will not be with our block and you will not get our rate.

I so can't wait for the official announcment on how it all will work

*...waits patiently for more info... this could be a reeeeeeeeeally good time.. *

Time to do the happy dance!

K

Hello All - Is Otto really talking about the Red Lion Hanalei in San Diego? http://www.hanaleihotel.com/ If so, I'm not sure if they are ready for our TIKI crowd. Perhaps too new, too Red Lion? Please tell me I'm wrong.

The Hanalei Hotel has been around forever!!! I think it will be a fun place for "The New Location" of Tiki Oasis :) We had a Tiki-rrific Time there for New Years Day Brunch :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-01 09:02 ]

Im not sure if much else will compare with the weather, open space, communal style courtyard and actual retro decor of the Caliente Tropics.

My guess is that Otto knows that this will be a change in the style of the event but in the end its the attendees, entertainment, and vendors that help make it what it has become.

Lets give Otto the benefit of the doubt and look forward to something new....

M

On 2006-02-01 10:25, Monkeyman wrote:
Im not sure if much else will compare with the weather, open space, communal style courtyard and actual retro decor of the Caliente Tropics.

My guess is that Otto knows that this will be a change in the style of the event but in the end its the attendees, entertainment, and vendors that help make it what it has become.

Lets give Otto the benefit of the doubt and look forward to something new....

Otto has an amazingly complex list of criteria he is using to pick a place-inlcuding price, room availability, lack of time to plan* and lots more! Monkeyman, you are right on in suggesting that we give him the benefit of the doubt! The Hanalei is what he feels is the best choice taking into consideration the multitude of criteria he has. Now let's go and have fun!! :)

*normally this event is planned just over a year in advance, but with the turnaround in The Caliente's not wanting to work with the Oasis this year, Otto doesn't have the luxury of 12 plus months to plan. He realises how much you all would miss Oasis if it was postponed for a year, so he has been hussling to try to get in happening in only a few months.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies