Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 6, May 4-7, 2006 **New Info pg. 7**

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

Agreed with the above posts.
Otto has been trying really hard to make things work properly, and people need to understand that changing the venue and not having a lot of time to prepare is not the ideal scenario. So, I'm hoping that there will be no bitch fest before, during or after the event. As Monkeyman said, the positive community spirit that we all generate during the Oasis is part of the reasons for it being such a fun event. And, if this years ammeneties are not 100% trouble free, no big deal, there will be time for improvement for the next year.
Looking forward to having fun with you all,
Ran

T

I know that he tried very hard to plan something on Shelter Island but he couldn't keep the cost down to a reasonable level for the attendees, so the Hanalei was selected. The Hanalei is great! The gardens are very well maintained, there's a huge moai by the pool, and the atrium inside the tower is wonderful with it's waterfall, koi ponds, and tikis. Plus, the Islands restaurant is beautiful. I think it's a great spot for the Oasis.

T

On 2006-02-01 10:25, Monkeyman wrote:
I'm not sure if much else will compare with the weather, open space, communal style courtyard and actual retro decor of the Caliente Tropics.

Do ash trays cost $32.00 at the Hanalei? That is what they were at the Tropics.

I say if the Hanalei can beat that price -- I'm in!

TB

A

On 2005-11-01 07:08, ted tiki wrote:
WooHooWahine has a great idea. I don't know if the Yucca Inn has enough room, or even wants us, but it looks great, and it is right by Joshua Tree-I love that place. Camping could be an option for those who can't stay at the hotel. Imagine a Tiki commune in the desert if you will. Otto--give this a thought....

OH WOW!!! Think Burning Man - but make it "Burning Tiki"!!! A whole new event with a whole new approach! The desert heat - Tiki artists demonstrating their work - no noise restrictions - the mind boggles!

hehe, wish I could be there...

amiotiki

B

A Burning Tiki Festival sounds incredible!!!!! I would absolutely be there!

M

Tiki News is proud to announce the 6th annual Tiki Oasis in San Diego, California!

May 4 - 7, 2006 in an all-new city at all-new historical Tiki sites... The Hanalei hotel (site of lost Stephen Crane's Luau artifacts) AND a night at Bali Hai (pg 130 in The Book of Tiki)

DO NOT CONTACT THE HOTEL OR RESTAURANT FOR BOOKING THIS EVENT all bookings will be handled through the Tiki Oasis website.

Three nights and 2 days of Tiki fun in the sun!

• THURSDAY night - join us for a preview party in the Islands restaurant and bar
  • FRIDAY night - meet Mr. Bali Hai and join the Tiki party by the bay on Shelter Island
  • SATURDAY night - experience the Magic of Tiki at the Hanalei hotel
  • SATURDAY and SUNDAY afternoon - enjoy a bustling market place of over 40 Tiki traders

Expect the usual amazing entertainment antics (TBA), guided and self-guided Tiki tours of San Diego's rich Tiki sites, and so much more!

ALL Tickets and room booking will be available next week. Please note this year we are adding a full featured room booking engine! An e-mail will be sent as soon as tickets go on sale. Please check our website for all updates: http://www.tikioasis.com

DO NOT CONTACT THE HOTEL OR RESTAURANT FOR BOOKING THIS EVENT all bookings will be handled through the Tiki Oasis website. Contacting the venues directly is in violation of our contract as this is considered a 'private' event and the venues will not be able to answer any questions regarding the event nor will they be able to arrange any of the bookings.

Special thanks to the following people for their efforts to pull this together:
Casey Jones, Gene of Fallingcoconuts.com, Larry Baumann of Bali Hai, Anna Cooper at Hanalei Hotel, Mar & Darlynne of Wheretours, and everyone else who has supported our efforts on bringing this event to a new location.

Stay tuned as Tiki News will send you detailed information on the Tiki Oasis as well as information on HOW to book into this event and join in the Tiki Party of the year.

Will the tikis at the Bali Hai be wearing sombreros for Cinco de Mayo?

T

Yes! Finally! I can't wait! I'm sure it's going to be a great event. With the TC Ohana sending good vibes to the event, how could it not be? Putting together something like this is a lot of hard work. Let's be positive.

Tikiwmn

MG

Hey guys... It's going to be interesting to see what happens this year. I think it has potential to be a much larger event than in the past and will keep growing and getting better and better in the future. The Hanalei itself has over 400 rooms and half of them were already booked before the management even called me interested in letting us have Tiki Oasis there. So... basically the rest of the rooms are reserved for us, that's why we all need to book our rooms through Tiki News as soon as everything is set up. I can tell you that the Hanalei is excited to have us and so is the Bali Hai.... Just wait until they actually experience... TIKI OASIS!

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-02-02 19:18 ]

MG

Another thing.... San Diego is a big city compared to Palm Springs. I'm sure we will even get some major media coverage. I am involved with a few other big events in the area and know a lot of people and even 2 or 3 news people from different stations that will surely be checkin' us out! I don't think SD has ever seen an event like this before.

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-02-02 19:43 ]

What a fantastic location for Tiki Oasis 6. Otto, thanks to your hard work a wonderful time will be had by all.

On 2006-02-02 19:42, MEAN GENE wrote:
Another thing.... San Diego is a big city compared to Palm Springs. I'm sure we will even get some major media coverage. I am involved with a few other big events in the area and know a lot of people and even 2 or 3 news people from different stations that will surely be checkin' us out! I don't think SD has ever seen an event like this before.

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-02-02 19:43 ]

Gene, will they be serving Lapu Lapu's at Tiki Oasis?? :)

MG

On 2006-02-02 20:42, WooHooWahine wrote:

Gene, will they be serving Lapu Lapu's at Tiki Oasis?? :)

dud....

Where would one find out about vendor info... specifically how to be one and how much?

H

On 2006-02-02 21:39, Lake Surfer wrote:
Where would one find out about vendor info... specifically how to be one and how much?

That info is coming veryvery soon... for now, if you want to be sure to be on the vendors' email list, pop Otto a note at [email protected] and he'll happily put you on it.

Nice! I bet our new host will not be referring to anyone as "tiki people" versus "normal people".

Wonderful job! And yes the San Diego has lots to offer and don't forget only 15 minutes to the Mexico Border.

A

... I don't think SD has ever seen an event like this before...

... http://www.sdpride.org/...

... http://www.sdreader.com/php/evlist.php?cat=OUTDOORS ...

... http://www.sdreader.com/php/evlist.php?cat=SPECIAL ...

... plus the annual san diego bromeliad society show & sale at balboa park...

... events abound in the nation's finest city...

F

On 2006-02-03 18:05, CheekyGirl wrote:
Nice! I bet our new host will not be referring to anyone as "tiki people" versus "normal people".

I don't fault them for that. That is exactly how I referred to us to the woman who was probably quoted in that post Oasis thread last year. As I was reading the last page I was thinking to myself how this year the Oasis site will be populated with many many normals and we will not have the place to ourselves. Casey spoiled us in Palm Springs! Now it's back to the real world.

On 2006-02-01 11:26, thejab wrote:
The Hanalei is great! The gardens are very well maintained, there's a huge moai by the pool, and the atrium inside the tower is wonderful with it's waterfall, koi ponds, and tikis. Plus, the Islands restaurant is beautiful. I think it's a great spot for the Oasis.

I totally agree. The moai is a thing of beauty. Maybe the tiki shack in the rear of the grassy area can be used for a bar.

Another thing.... San Diego is a big city compared to Palm Springs. I'm sure we will even get some major media coverage.

Spreading the tiki faith!

H

On 2006-02-03 18:05, CheekyGirl wrote:
... and don't forget only 15 minutes to the Mexico Border.

Yes!!! Bring a color xerox from your Edgar Leeteg book and get one painted for you in TJ!

Floratina--yup you're right...I guess it was just the way they were saying it...like it was a bad thing.

Gawd, I really, really, really need a vacation! Been working 2 jobs on top of working on our new house. Going to do some more work now....I'm really burnt.

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2006-02-08 18:53 ]

Tick...Tock... The Tiki Clock is ticking. When can we start making reservations????? :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-13 22:27 ]

On 2006-02-03 19:58, alohabros wrote:

... I don't think SD has ever seen an event like this before...

... http://www.sdpride.org/...

... http://www.sdreader.com/php/evlist.php?cat=OUTDOORS ...

... http://www.sdreader.com/php/evlist.php?cat=SPECIAL ...

... plus the annual san diego bromeliad society show & sale at balboa park...

... events abound in the nation's finest city...

Have ya been there for their Mardi Gras? Cheese and crackers and holy home grown chit!!! This town can party!!
I've stayed at the Hanalei for years, when I can't afford Humphrey's. I like it-it's peaceful (well, it won't be when we get there!!)and will surprise you!
There's a lot of tiki to see. Kobey's swap meet at the Sports Arena usually has some cool stuff (tiki motel swizzle stick collection-$10.00) Right across from the is TikiLand. Most interesting!! Most all the antique/thrift stores have at least some tiki stuff (I found an old Bali Hi mug a few years back at Cracker Barrel) And a lot of supply places like Solai Bamboo, Palapa Papa's, Tropical Shade, Tropical Thatch (actually over in carlsbad).
Check out roadsidepeek.com and there's a story on tiki in san diego.
In other words, there's more than what you see. It's fun to explore and find the hidden gems! So many yards have tikis hidden in ancient growth. We found one peeking out from a tangle of nasturtiums once and commented to the elderly lady watering how much we liked it. She was shocked- never knew it was there! That was cool!
All in all, SD is TC friendly.
And Cajun friendly (try Mardi Gras, 2/28/06) It'll give you a taste of this towns party abilities and blow your mind!!
And Mexican friendly- Cinco De Mayo- Do they like tiki? I hope so, cuz we're gonna have to share! They'll be at Mexican Cafe and all in Old Town. But check out some of the chiminia tiki's in TJ and Rosarito! They LOVE tiki!!
San Diego gives great party.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies