Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Any " Turtles" out there??

Pages: 1 46 replies

Any Turtles out there?

"you bet your ass I am!" HA

Please slowly reach between you legs and pull your head out so we know what the hell you talkin about?

BaxDog...its the Turtle Club. YBYA.

What the Hell is the Turtle Club?

I wasnt really sure what the turtle club was but just knew it was a club of some kind anyway so I checked this out on the net...check out: http://www.bucklesunlimited.com/r_u_a_turtle2.htm

T

So here I am typing "Trudeau Turtles Sweet Ass" into Google, and I'm thinking, I just KNOW this is going to end up on disturbingsearchrequests.com!!!! (a fantastic and eye opening site if you haven't been there already).

No dice on the Trudeau quote. Sounds like a UL to me. What makes it such a great UL though, is that is sounds like something that he would have done.

It cracks me up that u2 Bax & Sten, were the ones that questioned it. I would have thought for sure u2 would be Turtles!! I cant believe there are no Turtles in this TC. I even have a membership card from many moons ago and I'm still young!

16 years ago, Ben, thinking he was funny, asked my Dad "hey, are you a Turtle?" Yup, my Dad whipped back, "you bet your sweet ass I am!" It was a bonding moment between Dad and future son-in-law......our wedding was open bar....thanks Dad!

upstairs post came from me.....hmmmmm....wat up with the password thing...not sure what I did, cause if Ben gave me his password, well, then he'd have to kill me.
ALOHA!

Nothing's sacred anymore.....wat up with this? Hanford? Any help?
ALOHA!

What's up with what, Ben? Feel free to email me if you think something fishy is going on, but you gotta explain it to me. [email protected]

~Hanford

S

Okay, you got me, Ben!

You must be the Grand Imperial Wizard Turtle!

How many drinks do I owe?

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-21 16:27 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-21 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-21 16:33 ]

S

Hmmm. The Shriner's logo at the top of that page makes me think this guy might be a ROJ (Royal Order of Jesters). Anyone else here know about the ROJ? Now THOSE guys know how to party! "Mirth is King!"

The only turtle I know appears right after my morning coffee.
And I am not a member of my turtle.
But my turtle visits every day?

S

Well, it seems the Jesters started in Hawaii! Small world.

"Jesters, usually so-called, but more formally named the Royal Order of Jesters, is an organization evolved out of the good fellowship of members of the Mystic Shrine during a voyage to Honolulu, February 15 to March 7, 1911. An offhand ceremony grew into a ritual, and to local Courts and a National Body, very much of its success due to the initiative of William S. Brown, many years the Treasurer of the Mystic Shrine; Lou B. Winsor, Past Imperial Potentate and Grand Secretary of Michigan, and others of their genial kind who organized and led the Body whose local units were limited to thirteen initiates yearly."

T

Our resident mrsmiley has an excellent collection of Royal Order of Jesters billikens (the funny-looking character who is their mascot) and other momentos.

You may well be asking now "What doesn't mrsmiley collect?". Well, he doesn't collect beanie babies or smiley faces with noses.

Ahaa! Wonder what came first, the Turtles' "YBYSAIA" or Kelbo's (BOT p.170) pagan incantation 'IITYWIMWYBMAD"!
Now who knows what that stands for!??

T

I know "OWA... TANA... SIAM". Does that count?

If I Tell You What It Means Will You Buy Me A Drink

Kelbo's "IITYWIMWYBMAD" mystery solved:

It kinda only worked when Kelbo's was still open and had that "native jibberish" on their cocktail napkins. You could point it out to your companions and offer "If I Tell You What It Means, Will You Buy Me A Drink?"

The curious victim would agree, only to be told that the "incantation" was merely the abbreviation of the above question: I(f) I T(ell) Y(ou) W(hat).... HA HA!

Pure bar humor genius! Now you ALL have to buy me a drink!

Darn! Synchronicity! Posted this at the same time than HETO TIKI! Hey Heto, do you know this from Kelbo's, or did other bars use it too?

Very odd we posted at the same exact time. So who gets the drink ? LOL.
Actually I saw it years ago on a plaque on the wall at a small club in Miami. Not exactly sure why they put it up? The club had a lot of Hard-core and Punk shows, but no Tiki or Exotic themes what so ever. I don't even remember them serving alcohol ?? But I was young. Strange that is how I came acrossed it.

[ Edited by: Heto-Tiki on 2002-11-23 12:23 ]

DZ

Speaking of hard-core/punk, I knew some guys a few years back that had a band called "D.S.F.A." - Doesn't Stand For Anything. They took great delight in giving folks the runaround with the name.

did you ever hear of that band Free Beer? Their shows would be packed from the flyers!! "Black Flag and Free Beer at the Starwood!"

Rev BenBoo,

The Starwood, man that brings back fuzzy memories. I saw my first 'concert' there in 1974 - UFO!

I never heard of D.S.F.A., but I have heard S.F.A., Stands for Anything. They did Rude Boy and Evil Cow. Great band.
Where was D.S.F.A. from?

My first concert was Pink Floyd, "The Wall" at the Sports Arena. Sorry, I just had to throw that in.

1974 I saw Kiss at the forum. I was in 4th grade! first concert. is that what happend to me??

or was it 76? cheap trick too. i need a new chip for my brain!!

S

My first concert featured Englebert Humperdink at the KHJ Christmas Cavelcade of Stars.

True story!
:lol:

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-26 20:54 ]

Im a Tiki!

My first concert was the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Yellow Balloon and the Music Machine at the Carrousel Theater in Anaheim (I think). It was this auditorium with a round stage that rotated (I guess the theory was everybody has a good seat). You might remember the Music Machine as five guys wearing all black & 1 black glove, their big hit song was "Talk Talk".

Hey Ben & Bong

The last time I was at the Starwood, Black Flag was playing, I went accross the street while I was waiting to get in to a laundry mat to use the head. Somebody had done a religious mural on all four walls and the ceiling in black magic marker.All I could think was "man, this person must have had a lot of laundry".

BB

Those were the days! Did that show turn into a riot too?

Don't know. I was with a friend's girlfriend who came up from San Diego to attend a seminar at a hotel by LAX and he asked me to take her out and show her a good time (I can handle that).Turned out Black Flag wasn't her idea of fun (must be an aquired taste). Don't get me wrong, I didn't take her there to torture her. She said she liked punk rock, but I think she was talking about Elvis Costello or the New Romantics. At any rate we split after about half an hour and moved on to Madam Wong's in Chinatown where we drank Tsing taos till 3:00. The dragon lady closed at 1:45 and let us stay another hour drinking on the house. All I could think about was "I wonder if she's going to have the bouncers throw me down the stairs like Charlie Quintana (Plugz drummer).

T

On 2002-11-26 08:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
1974 I saw Kiss at the forum. I was in 4th grade! first concert. is that what happend to me??

My parents wouldn't let me see Kiss, so I had to wait a few years and go see Duran Duran.

Same thing: guys wearing too much makeup and silly clothes.

Interestingly, both bands started to suck when they stopped wearing makeup.

On 2003-05-06 12:47, tikibars wrote:
My parents wouldn't let me see Kiss, so I had to wait a few years and go see Duran Duran.

Same thing: guys wearing too much makeup and silly clothes.

Interestingly, both bands started to suck when they stopped wearing makeup.

Duran Duran was the first live show for a lot of us. I was 13 and had to go with my dad.

I don't think Nick Rhodes ever stopped wearing makeup. :D

--cindy

[ Edited by: cynfulcynner on 2003-05-06 13:03 ]

D

I'll cop to my first...1973, 7 years old, The DeFranco Family at Knotts Berry Farm. They lip sanc 1 song "Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat" Does that count or did the music have to be live? First real music and singing concert...1978, 12 years old, The Rolling Stones, A Stadium, Some Girls Tour. Ummm, how did this go from Turtles to Tigerbeat?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-06 15:01 ]

Are You A Turtle ?

Hope to see all you Turtles at The Hkilau 2007

topics merged.

Aloha,

On 2007-05-06 14:47, bodotikiman wrote:
Are You A Turtle ?

You bet your sweet Ass I am, and a card carrying member in good standing!

Not a turtle (but saw Flo & Eddie once). Useless info!!!

My first concert was Janice Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company at the San Diego Sports Arena. RIP Janice. :)

UJ

you bet your ass I am! but i never got a card.... or did I?

R

you bet your sweet ass I am...

I can't believe there are so many other turtles out there... when i first became a turtle I thought the person initiating me was joking....

too funny

R

You bet your sweet ass I am!

I actually still have my card in a box of old Army stuff upstairs. I was inducted into the Turles when I was a young LT with 2nd ACR in Germany back in '86. "Toujour Pret!"

"If you aint cav you aint shiiiit!"

UB

Pages: 1 46 replies