Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimecula's Clubs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies

TM, I like how you did the dark surface stain over the lighter "crevice" stain on the Apa Apai. Nice touch - looks like it got grimed up from years of use.

Moon, BK,AA Thanks for the kind words! Started another Club(s) today, I hope it works out like I planed it (I might be in over my head on this one?).

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2005 3:25 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 13:39 ]

these are quite spectacular tikimecula....weapons are fun... I am sure we would have to put you and BK on the front lines...
I'll sit back with my little clubbers and get the ones that
escape you guys....I think I'm safe.

After a 3-4 month break. I finally had some carving time the last few days, here is a Cula Cula I started a few months back. Should have it finished up this weekend.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2006-04-12 20:29 ]

Nice club...perfect tava tava! We were just coffee talking about you at coon tiki..good stuff!

J

I am impressed with the detail carving. How do you get it so precise?
JP

Wow! My eyes are straining just from thinking about carving all those lines. Are you using a Dremel?

Bk, JohnnyP and Fink. Thanks! No Dremel work all palm and detail chisels.

Here it is with the finish.

All hail Tikimecula: The Left Coast BasementKahuna!

Proud to be your SoSoCal ohana!

On 2006-04-15 09:25, hodadhank wrote:
The Left Coast BasementKahuna!

I wouldn't go that far, BK is the Man for War Clubs! But thank you! Working on a new one. Pics to come.

Here is a Solomon Islands Club I am working on. It's 53" tall and is Cherry Wood.

And here is a Sali i Just Started

Here it is with a dollar for Scale. It's 12" tall and is Poplar. This one along with a few more will be for a framed display, I am working on.

Nice stuff! The Metachlorians are strong in this one...I reccommend you for Jedi!

Here is the Solomon Island club all finished up. The pics came out kinda dark I will get more tomorrow. The stain is not as dark as the pics (it looks black on my computer?)

53" tall, Cherrywood.

Great stuff! Very nice detail work. Poplar seems to be the wood of choice for these clubs, BK extolled it's greatness as well.
Can't wait to try my hand at a club, just need a damn spokeshave!

"Out of the water I am nothing"
-Duke Kahanamoku

[ Edited by: Kapu Kahiki 2006-05-04 20:09 ]

Thanks Kapu, I hear ya on the poplar, I came home yesterday with 2, 2"x 12"x12 foot sticks. It runs about 1/3 the price of Cherry also.

B

MAn Look at the new stuff. Everywhare by Everyone. Your clubs are really getting down to Serious business. Very well done.

Thanks Ben!

Here is a small Kini Kini I started. I remembered to take progress pics this time instead of a finished club.

Sketch Design ready to go.

Some Detail.

Excellent line work...You've got talent, man..Your club work is excellent.

Thanks BK. Hope you enjoyed the Pics I sent you.

Here it is Finished.

T I G H T.

beautiful

Wow! The detail on this is amazing! Excellent job.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 9:31 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 13:36 ]

J

Perfect!

L
Loki posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 11:04 AM

Not only is the work outstanding, but take a look at that clean workbench...

P

wow, that's really nice work.

B

TMec, this last club is really unbelievable and your Best work by a Long Shot. You pulled out ALL the stops for this guy. It looks so precise and almost like it was done on a computer. I'm sitting here shaking my head and giving you all the praise I can think of.
HappyHappyHappy!!

BK, Monkeyman, Davez Tikiz, Gman, Johnny P, Loki, pdrake, & Benzart, Thank you for the Kind Words. I am very pleased with how this one turned out.

Here is another Club I finished up today. Roughly 26" tall and 8" wide.

That looks freakin cool man!! Good job!!!

B

TMec, this is absolutely gorgeous, you are really kickin'butt with these clubs. I'm Lovin the precision you are getting with your toolz.

Love that one...Solomons style!

Great work. Your building quite an arsenal.
You can really see your progress from the first ones you posted.
Details, it's all in the details.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2006-05-29 15:41 ]

love the club and the detail work...very impressive.

J

So incredibly precise! You have one steady hand. Any tips?

Sperm Whale, Thank you!

Ben, Thanks & Tools are ony half the battle the other half is practice.

BK, I hope i did it justice. I don't know to much about the Solomons.

Alien, For me the fun is in the detail, I enjoy doing the detail work more than the Dirty work(shaping/sanding)

Congatiki, Thank's I'm really liking your latest creation.

JohnnyP, Practice and Practice. I usually use a scrap piece to practice a new pattern on, to see how it looks and to see if i can make it better the next time. Tave Tava is the hardest and most time consuming for me, but I love the finished procduct.

Thanks again all! I have a few more clubs and a mask coming up. I'll keep you posted.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2006-05-31 10:14 ]

got my 2nd club by tikimecula today. great carving! now i gotta figure out a way to hang them on a wall. any ideas?

TD

good job! i really like those. i dont usally see things like that. you have some great ideas for carvings. a good mind you have.
good work keep it up.

It's been a while since I've had a chance to touch my chisels...So i got some time over the last few days and here is what i came up with. A short Cula Cula. It's a one handed club.....that i would have a hard time swinging this one. It's kinda bulky on the heavy end, but would do some serious damage! I have a few more in the works, will post in a few. Hope you enjoy!

i'm glad to see you've got time to carve again. great cula cula.

Beautiful colour. Good job on the surface insision too, very clean!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 4:38 AM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 13:35 ]

Really clean lines and symmetry.. Beautiful works!

J

That's a coola coola cula cula. I am so impressed with how evenly the width of your line details are cut and how straight and well placed they are.

JP

B

Man, you better watch out, you are becoming the king of Clubs. Excellent looking piece. You just Gotta Carve More, thats all there is to it. End of stoory!

"King of Clubs"? Don't be such a card! Beautiful brain smashing instruments, obvious attention to detail and skill!

ST

P

I've been hanging out for new piece from you and this one doesn't disappoint. There's some superbly controlled chisellin' right there, and I love the tones/patination you've got on the wood.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies