Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The New Rincon Room-New Pix 8/1/06-page9

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies

After months of planning, permits, and city approval....

The backyard was dated, the lawn and planters with lots of weeds and non-tropical plants, rotting railroad ties,
etc. The only place in this split level to put the bar was in the upstairs den (where most of the pics were shot from), but not very convenient to the kitchen, yard, etc. So instead of a pool we decided it needed it's own outdoor location.You can see our original lay-out of the room, deck, and spa......was not big enough.

The yard and concrete removed. This was after scraping and painting cielings, new can lights and electrical meter upgrade, garage door, carpet, dual paned windows, relocating sliding door to yard, tankless water heater and repipe after slab leak, water service, stucco, paint, surgery, and and and.....that's why I have been away from TC lately.

The new and improved Rincon Room slab was poured today! Between the patio and the RR will be a pond (10' X 30') and waterfall with a bridge connecting them. Not visible is the new sewar from the front of the house for the full bathroom and wet bar. There is a 2" gas line with several risers for commercial grade torches. The built in barbeque and firepit will be on the patio.

The pond will be where the hose and crew are between the slabs.

Stamping the concrete to look like wood.

Originally the RR was going to be a wood composite deck on a raised 18" slab. Very expensive and would have been difficult for my handicapped nephew to access. Also the County will assess the square footage for the deck and raise the taxes.....but not for stamped concrete. The color of the concrete will look different after we can wash off the release colors.....2 shades of brown. We used a salt rock finish on all the other concrete to give it a lava look. Originally we were going to stain that black like we saw in several resort hotels in the Islands, but our water here is very hard and would have left a white mineral glaze whenever it was washed down. Drink the Rum......not the water.

Thanks to OnaTiki for help with the plans for the city....breezed by without having to go through the planning commission. Hopefully he will be able to come up soon to help with some of the construction since I am still limited in what I can physically do.

I will post more pix as things progress. My wife and I look forward to hosting our fellow TCers and being a stopping point for you between Northern and Southern California now that we are 11 miles closer to Canada.

[ Edited by: bongofury 2006-08-01 21:55 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Cleaned up some "edited by's" - 2010-11-17 18:36 ]

TB

Right on Bongofury, looking forward to visiting the new Rincon Room. Whats the estimated time of finishing?

TBird.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 4:46 PM

Very nice! I'll stop by on my way to go surfing at Ricon or the Ranch. All that work you've done is incredible. Can't wait for more pictures.

-Alldo

Where's my cabinet??

I am so glad to hear the will be another Rincon Room!!! Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted!!!
Later,
Spermy

There were pictures of the old Rincon room in a recent issue of Atomic Ranch, right? I'm so glad that the legacy still lives! I'm truly amazed at the amount of work that's going into this. A new slab, a pond, very cool. The idea of pressed concrete is great, too. Especially if it keeps your property taxes lower. I'm sure it's going to look fantastic when it's done. With all that space, are you going to put any fish anywhere? Tiki bars look better with fish tanks. I'd even come take care of them for you if I was allowed to live in the tiki bar. :)

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 4:41 AM

Bongo,
I love watching projects like this come to life...from the comfort of my own home...I know it can be a mess and frustrating at times, so hang in there and keep the progress reports coming...

Looks great. I've never seen concrete stamped like that before. What a cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

B
Bete posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 1:02 PM

Nice "teaser" pictures, you got my interst now, before and afters are awesome. I feel like I am watching "Trading Spaces" (tiki edition) in this forum, good luck with the yard project, hope it turns out well!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 6:29 AM

Initial pics look cool! That stamped concrete is a great idea too. Nice one. Looking forward to more pics as progress occurs

B

BongoFUry, everything is looking So exciting. I Really love the Wood Stamped concrete. What a fantastic floor. Can't wait to see how the coloring looks. As the new Rincon room emerges, I'm sure the pictures will blow us away.
HappyHappyHappy

T

Very Nice! Keep the updates and photos coming - I can't wait to see what comes of this!

Bongo!!! You're thinking big and I love it!!!!

Great start on the project, I can't wait to to see more updates

Hey Bongo,
The pad is lookin good ! I can't wait to see it in real life sometime in the near future! Good to see your post!

Chongolio

Thanks for the great post!

Eventually, we are going to build a similar external tiki structure. Seeing the step-by-step process is really interesting, and very helpful. We've just got the cement foundation which doubles as a patio for the moment.

Can't wait to see what happens next!

The Fury takes the land and, with his and Mrs. Fury's touch, plant the seeds of paradise wherever they go!

Hey Bongo looking good so far.....if you need a set of hands here and there hollar at RobRoy and myself.....were only 15 mins away

B

Thank you all for you kind words and support.........Post brackets installed......lumber unloaded

OnaTiki setting the corner posts

First header up

The rest tell their own story

I countersunk and drilled holes with OnaTiki setting the lag screws

All posts are up for the room interior.......Headers installed. Not bad for the first day....we will work on the roof line tomorrow and pick up materials next week. It will be a while before the fun begins. Hope you like it so far.....

Bongofury and OnaTiki

M
Moki posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2006 10:03 PM

Yay!!! Pictures!!

Great progress today guys. You make a good team. Hope you both popped some motrin :wink:

Can't wait to see what happens next. Keep the pictures coming.

Tell my hubby I miss him.....

Right on! Finally working! I can hardly wait to see the pics as they arrive.

Roof, what sort of roof? maybe a sweepy longhouse curved roof? Maybe an angled Tall on one side A shaped roof?

Any corrugated steel to be used?

Nice work so far, does one get permits for such a structure? (do the power and gas lines and concrete have to be inspected by some do-gooder city/county snooper?)

Great work, and thanks for posting the photos thus far.

Happy Birthday (Tomorrow) Moki! Yeah he misses you too. 88 degrees here yesterday! Nothing like a winter tan.

Yes there are city permits for everything. They have been very easy so far to deal with. All underground sewar, gas, conduit, and concrete footings have been inspected. Next inspection will be rough framing, plumbing, and electrical.

The roof will be metal. City design restrictions and framing complications ($) will prevent us from doing a crazy cool roof.......it will be simple with an angled a-frame at each end. I have our conceptual drawings that I could post, but that may take some of the mystery out of the completed project.......or would you rather see if we can meet our design concept?

I also have pix of the house and yard in progress if you all are interested in seeing those too. Aloha for now.......

On 2006-02-10 07:31, bongofury wrote:

I also have pix of the house and yard in progress if you all are interested in seeing those too. Aloha for now.......

Yes please. More pix.

G

Let's see the design drawings! It will be fun to watch as the reality catches up with the concept.

B

BongoF, I can't WAIT to see this room, If it is only Half as good as the Old Rincon room, it will Still be Twice as good as Most of them out there. Keep the pix coming!!!

On 2006-02-10 07:31, bongofury wrote:
I have our conceptual drawings that I could post, but that may take some of the mystery out of the completed project.......or would you rather see if we can meet our design concept?

Maybe you could post them in a "Hou Rincon Room Spoiler" thread!

I'd love to see them.

Finally an update......We (me, Mrs Fury, OnaTiki) collaborated on a design to be carved into the ridge beam. That's the beam that supports the top part of the roof. OnaTiki made a template and transferred the design to the sides of the beam...

After routing, before stain......

Bottom design.....

Routed and carved.....

Stained......

Staining after paint applied inside design......

The canoe prow as it will look at the end of the beam.......It will be carved, stained, painted etc......

All this stuff is easier to do at ground level, so no building progress. We should be able to install it tomorrow, then we can start setting rafters.......will post after the beam is in place.

[ Edited by: bongofury 2006-02-14 20:06 ]

Man I am loving the progress pic's - I am anxiously waiting the next batch!!! Thanks Mr.& Mrs Fury and OnaTiki for sharing your work!!! :)
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-02-14 22:28 ]

M
Moki posted on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 10:41 PM

Loving the progress so far. Good work guys.

H

Moki do you know any of these guys personally????? :drink:

Is that all you have done???

Come on now, lets step it up a notch.

Kidding aside, I am digging the End piece on the roof beam...coool

M
Moki posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 8:04 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Hil, I do know these guys personally. One very personally :blush:

Nice work. Hope it's all running along smoothly. Keep them pics coming!

TikiTony stops by to give us a hand and share his philosophy on life
with OnaTiki....

I guess Tony must have taken this pick after he helped us lift the beams
into place (Mucho Mahalos Tony!)

The beam color is light in this photo thanks to the fabulous crap-cam....

The view from the side yard......

Thanks for looking.

V

very Shibby!!

M
Moki posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 10:47 PM

Holy Crap!!! OHHHH, I can't wait to see this in person. Please be careful up on those ladders so high.

H

Moki, how personally do you know him??? :) :) :) :)

That's coming together fast! Did you fellas hand carve or use a router to do those designs on that beam?

Looking great guys. Love the concrete wood effect. Can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks for posting your progress.

Very sweet Bongo!
But I have to warn you, OnaTiki knows nothing about building a Tiki bar.

Unlike decorating an existing room, this is just like building a house,
just on a smaller scale, so the final results will take much longer. We
had the first half of the rafters in before lunch.

Ona fires the nail gun into the air to celebrate completion of the rafters.

The final rafters to give it an A-frame look took a long time to get the angles
correct. The shadows make them look a little off.

Here is a better shot of the A frame with outrigger beam. More good things
to come.

Overall shot of the whole thing as the sun went down.

When I get a chance I will try to post the drawings and the other suff done
to the house and yard.

No cheap shots Monkeyman..........where's my frame? Get busy! Ha Ha........

You guys are awesome. No cheap shots here. Just a whole lotta respect.

I'll get cracking. Sometimes its just nice to do stuff for yourself.

G

I'm just curious, have your neighbors been cool with this? Have they said anything since that A-frame and outrigger beam went up? Btw, very cool pictures. Keep 'em coming!

B

Still looking Fabulous guys. Keep the pix coming!.

On 2006-02-16 20:40, bongofury wrote:

Ona fires the nail gun into the air to celebrate completion of the rafters.

Hooray Ona! Keep up the good work! Hey,
where does the nail go after you shoot it
in the air?

Ouch! Um...I...feel...a...little...dizzy....

L
LWID posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 9:58 AM

Bongofury,

I am an Associate Producer with HGTV. I would be interested in passing on your information to one of our Segment Producer's to be on our new show, "Look What I Did." If you are interested in this possibility, please reply to the email below with a couple pics and your contact info.

Best,

Pirooz Kalayeh
Associate Producer
Weller Grossman Productions
[email protected]
http://www.wellergrossman.com

Here is an update.....most of what we are doing lately is just framing, so
not much worth posting.

Moki came up to make sure we are actually working. Starting to sheath
the roof.

Looking up at the roof detail under the bar.

The bar framed in.

There wont be much going on for the next few weeks as I will need to get
plumbing and electrical in so I can get the rough inspection.

This is like my favorite mini series on TV ... TO BE CONTINUED NEXT WEEK!
It's so cool to see your progress, I love it.

Any plans to do a time capsule hidden in the walls? Maybe a Benzart pendant A Tiki Farm mug a Monkeyman frame an
Onatiki light, ok the light my not fit but what a cool time capsule it would be. A treasure for someone to find some day.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies