Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

I was waiting for Smogbreather to bring this up as he told me about this before New Years, but I know he is busy and I have seen this on several websites that I can't find now. Looks like a full blown luau with some good bands........Smokin Menehunes, Ape, plus traditional Hawaiian, vendors etc. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the 411.......Lots going on this year!

T

Hey Bongo,
this was the first Catalina Tiki fest in 2003 where I did a live carving demo, and the highlight was meeting Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al for the first time! I was so nervous carving right in front of the master of detail Al. Come to think of it, that store still has that tiki I carved...

At the time, people weren't too hip to tiki, but I imagine 3 years later will do the trick!

On 2006-01-20 17:36, bongofury wrote:
I was waiting for Smogbreather to bring this up as he told me about this before New Years, but I know he is busy and I have seen this on several websites that I can't find now. Looks like a full blown luau with some good bands........Smokin Menehunes, Ape, plus traditional Hawaiian, vendors etc. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the 411.......Lots going on this year!

APE on CATALINA ?????

Awesome!!!

( I hope it doesn't run the same weekend that our "laid back luau" happens at Whites Point aka the Cove, with the Hedley sisters, family and friends. More to come on this soon)

August 2006 is booking up quick for Southern California events...

Sat. 08/05/06.... Mission Tiki's 50th Anniversary Bash...
Sat. 08/12/06...International Tiki Day...plans yet to be made...
Fri. 08/ 18, 19, 20/06...Catalina Tiki-fest...

Wow! So much fun to look forward to!

I don't remember seeing Holden's confirmation of this!!! I'll tell you now that if it IS that weekend you better reserve a room NOW or there won't be any! WooHooWahine (also a travel agent in her spare-haha time) says that you better make reservations now as that weekend fills fast and Catalina has limited lodging!

I checked the Yahoo travel website - the only hotel available that weekend is $280.00 per night.

I might be wrong but I can almost predict that maybe Holden has an arrangement with the Hotels/Motels in Catalina. So everything would be a package deal. Don't you think that would only make sense?? This sounds like alot of fun.

Funny thing is I was Born In So. Cal. at age 3 Moved to Nor. Cal.
Moved back to So.Cal. in '81 But I've never Been to Catalina.
I've been to Hawaii twice, and my parents are always buggin' me to go with them(they have a time-share on Kauai).
But I need to get over to the Catalina Island a bit more often.
They had a surf music festival in 2000 or so.
with Stingrays(kids from San Clemente) and Chantays(of Pipeline)fame.
in the day outside.
And Blue Hawaiians and Dick Dale(miserlou) played at night in the big Dance Hall. I wanted to go. But it was 100bucks plus plus.
and I was a lowly 7-11 employee at the time and had to work weekends.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Tiki Central Catalina Takeover!!! Get ready to WOOHOOO!!!!

Hey Jeff.......I also saw that the Blue Hawaiians are supposed to play on the 19th after Ape and Gregg DeCastro.

Here is a link to one of the sites I saw it on with a lot of info. Also lots of other Hawaiian goodies and events on the mainland.

http://alohaworld.com/cgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=detail&event_id=11256&user_id=100899&website=default&category_id=&session=43d51d1a07984c6a

OH Oh, TC'ers are going to have a choice this weekend. The Tiki Beach Fest is also the same days.

On 2006-01-23 13:36, Tiki Diablo wrote:
OH Oh, TC'ers are going to have a choice this weekend. The Tiki Beach Fest is also the same days.

No problem! It's just "26 miles across the sea........." How long will that take to paddle in my dinghy????

Damn! The Hermit campgrounds are already full/booked.
Anyone have a reservation that could occupy one more TCer? :)
I may have to stay at Little Harbor campground. It's beautiful, but about 16 miles away from Avalon.

T

The last event 3 summers ago was put on by the guy who literally owned most of Catalina, including the hotels, so I imagine that the rooms are being held for this event... but if its the same weekend as Long Beach, I'm going LBC!

MG

Ya..... I'm sure Uncle Jerry has a few rooms saved for us.

On 2006-01-23 13:44, Unga Bunga wrote:
Damn! The Hermit campgrounds are already full/booked.
Anyone have a reservation that could occupy one more TCer? :)
I may have to stay at Little Harbor campground. It's beautiful, but about 16 miles away from Avalon.

Unga,

Let's camp!!!

We'll hi-jack some Buffalo and bare back em' into town!!

I'll rig up a Buffalo Cooler to hold the beer!!

Anyone up for some cliff jumping at parsons landing?

On 2006-01-23 21:03, Monkeyman wrote:

at Midnight???

After a couple of Buffalo Milks and an evening at The Marlin Club who needs a place to stay. What time does Luau Larry's Open??? WOOOHOOO :)

On 2006-01-23 21:57, WooHooWahine wrote:
After a couple of Buffalo Milks and an evening at The Marlin Club who needs a place to stay. What time does Luau Larry's Open??? WOOOHOOO :)

Hey Woo Hoo!!

Woo Hoo! We should go cliff diving with Monkeyman!!

Woo Hoo!

p.s Woo Hoo!!

On 2006-01-23 21:03, Monkeyman wrote:

Ahh! Great memories (and may I also say great mammarys) in my younger days. :)

On 2006-01-23 20:54, RevBambooBen wrote:

Unga,

Let's camp!!!  

We'll hi-jack some Buffalo and bare back em' into town!!
I'll rig up a Buffalo Cooler to hold the beer!!

DONE!
Catalina is where I learned to love Bison steak.

Nude cliff jumping?.....

Back then, I don't know now....
It was traditional for the girls to take their tops off, before jumping.

MG

Anybody tried the wild boar?

Ben you should bring the potato gun.

On 2006-01-24 09:10, MEAN GENE wrote:

Ben you should bring the potato gun.

We shelved the spud gun and are now on a new mission (see below).

Totally off topic-

We need to reduce the weight of our childrens backpacks! 45lbs today. My son weighs 65 lbs.

Ok- back to the wild boar!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 5:16 PM

this sound like a grand time I hope i can make it ....

Hey Bongo,
thanks for the Link with Info, Hope I can make it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-01-23 10:20, bongofury wrote:
Hey Jeff.......I also saw that the Blue Hawaiians are supposed to play on the 19th after Ape and Gregg DeCastro.

Here is a link to one of the sites I saw it on with a lot of info. Also lots of other Hawaiian goodies and events on the mainland.

http://alohaworld.com/cgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=detail&event_id=11256&user_id=100899&website=default&category_id=&session=43d51d1a07984c6a

Any new information about this event?

OL

There's a website selling tickets, but still no info on lodging or camping.

Question: Are the seats for the show elevated at the different levels (tiki, hula and island)? Or are they all at ground level? Anyone know? Thanks.

H

On 2006-04-01 09:27, SoccerTiki wrote:
Question: Are the seats for the show elevated at the different levels (tiki, hula and island)? Or are they all at ground level? Anyone know? Thanks.

When I spoke to the Descanso Beach Club, they described the seating as concave reticular. Cool!

D

If your looking for the least expensive rooms on the island.... no frills but the rates are hard to beat. Check out Hermosa Hotel, it looks pretty closely located to the Tikifest-ivities too.

The Hermosa Hotel...sleep cheap

And here is Trip Advisors Customer Comments on the place...

Trip Advisor Comments

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2006-04-01 10:43 ]

On 2006-04-01 10:38, DawnTiki wrote:
Check out Hermosa Hotel, it looks pretty closely located to the Tikifest-ivities too.

Where are the Tikifest Titties gonna be?
(Awe come on, someone had to ask! :D )

D

Geez UB... Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to find one or two once you get there and remember you can always just bring your own. BYOTTs

Sorry Dawn,
(Another late night drunkin TC post).

D

On 2006-04-02 12:08, Unga Bunga wrote:
Sorry Dawn,
(Another late night drunkin TC post).

Sorry for what? Late night drunkin TC posts are the best kind, don't you think?

M

Go to http://www.catalina.com to book your tickets. We're finalizing the particulars and once I know EXACTLY what the weekend entails, I'll do an email blast through our opt-in list and then post to TC.
Mahaloz,
Holden

TM

Holden, bring your uke to AZ, and to catalina! That way you can sit in with us for a song or two!

B

Here is another link

http://www.avalonbaycompany.com/departmentmain.php?departmentid=5&classid=24&subclass1id=89

[ Edited by: bongofury 2006-04-06 18:14 ]

B

The CREW is in!!!! See ya there - Yahooooooo!!!!!!

There are rooms availabe at Hotel Metropole. This hotel is in a great location!!! Check their website out at http://www.hotel-metropole.com For more information PM me :)

Now that your warmed up from Tiki Oasis it's time to make you reservations and get tickets for Catalina Island Tikifest. If you have never been to Catalina Island this is the perfect time. It is kind of like So. Cal's little Hawaii. The date is August 18, 19 & 20th. It's best to book early because as it gets closer to summer accomodations are difficult to find. Go to http://www.catalinatikifest.com for tiki fest information or http://www.catalina.com to check out hotels available then give the hotels a call or email them. A couple good cheap ones downtown are the Hermosa Hotel and Atwater. A little way out of Avalon is the Catalina Canyon Hotel and then in the middle are the Island Inn, Cloud 7, El Terrado Terrace, Hotel Metropole, Pavilion Hotel, Hotel Catalina, Seaport Village ....lotsa choices.

The Catalina Tikifest is going to be at Descanso Beach a short walk from Avalon to a private sandy copacabana style beach with a huge grass area over looking the beach and stage. The grass area during the day will be for vendors, cultural displays and dancing to the great music line up all day. The Saturday big event is a luau and dance show with 48 professional dances from all the Islands,Tahiti, New Zealand, Somoa, Hawaii, etc.. We want everyone to plan early so the tickets (seating limited to 1000 and luau meal 700) are still available and accomodations are reasonable. We have even charted a boat back to Long Beach Saturday night at 11:30 for those that want to enjoy all day Saturday and still get back to the mainland Saturday night. The Catalina Express boat is a highspeed smooth boat that takes about an hour and departs from Long Beach, Dana Point and San Pedro.

If anyone has any specific questions about Catalina Island Tikifest that the website does not answer PLEASE post it and I will try and help and answer all that I can. Now grab your phone, drums or paddle and get those reservations..... 26 miles across the sea Santa Catalina is waiting for me ............

Thanks for listening,

Latitude 33

You can call Catalina Express at 1-800-481-3470 to make your boat reservations. Go to http://www.catalinaexpress.com to see boat schedules, fares ,& locations. I HIGHLY Suggest if you are planning to attend, to make your boat reservations ASAP!! During the Summer Months boats get fully booked at times.
Soccer Tiki and I are planning on taking the 9:30am boat from The Queen Mary on Friday and returning at 5:25pm on Sunday :) WOOOHOOO, another Tiki Event :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-09 17:06 ]

I personally went and checked out both the Hermosa hotel and the Atwater Hotel. Both are "economy" hotels in fact the Hermosa Hotel's catch phrase is "Sleep Cheap". Hands down the Atwater is a better value. You can still get rooms in the "economy" section of the Atwater for around a $100.00 a night. They have lots available now but you better book soon. The Hermosa has rooms but the rooms have a very "road hard" look. You will not be getting anything like a jacuzzi or any exotic amenities at the Atwater hotel but you will get a good clean room reasonable.

We are working on getting "Ape" to close the evening Saturday night after the Westwind productions dance extravaganza with 48 island dancers. This is gonna be a hoot !! Quiksilver Edition just came on board as a sponsor and we have also secured a raffle give-away of a Hawaiian vacation and dinners at Don the Beachcomber.

I'm here to help any of you that have questions about anything regarding Catalina Island Tikifest. Accommodations, Transportation, vendor space, anything.

26 miles across the sea ......................

The Hermosa is getting down to the shared bathrooms or rooms with no bathrooms now. They are only 70 bucks though, so I'll just shower and pee on the beach!

As of now there are still rooms at The Hermosa Hotel (877-453-1313) and at Hotel Atwater (1-800-322-3434. If you are planning to attend and want to stay on the Island you need to make your reservations ASAP!!

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies