Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

Who wants to split a room?

As stated on a different thread I am now in for Catalina as I just booked my flights back out west this morning. There will be Butter-rum Krimpets at the Attwater in August! Mahalo to WooHoo for helping sort out the room booking! I can't believe she found time in between polishing sessions with that well deserved room crawl trophy (I think it is taller than she is).

Well that does it. If you're going, Rugbymatt, then so am I! See ya there!

WoooHoooo! Soccer Tiki, Rugby Matt, Hau'oli Tiki, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, The Smokin Menehunes, Monkey Man, Tigerlily & WooHoooWahine on the same island??? I hope the volcano doesn't erupt :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-12 17:46 ]

It saddens be beyond belief to have to cancel my plans (after 3 hours of wrangling a room at the Atwater!!). My stoopit cousin decided to tie the knot all of a sudden and has planned it for...you guessed it, that weekend!!
So. That's a pretty kettle of koi I'm in. I can cancel the room, but I'm stuck with 2 event tix. Tiki Level. Anyone need 'em?
Of course, I'm still trying to figure out a way to go and not look like the black sheep of the family. But...if these tix sell out and your desperate, PM me.

Attention Arizonia TC Ohana: ~ WooooHoooo! What a Great Excuse to Escape the AZ Heat for the Weekend!! Soccer Tiki and I would love to see The Kon Tiki Klan in Catalina :)

Anyone want to catch a ride on my friends boat? He will be doing a charter with limited seating. I will be checking into how much per person and will post when I find out. Aloha, Wes

who needs a hotel roomate? Pick Me.... oooh ooohh pick me....

Shaka, Im interested in the boat idea

Hey...who won that raffle at Oasis for this trip? I think it was Tikifarm raffling it off when you purchased a mug? A lil hazy on the facts...it WAS a rum soaked weekend! Any one know?

I'm a little confused about this whole thing. The website, http://www.catalinatikifest.com, is selling tickets for a luau that includes:

Third Tier 'Island Level' Seating for the Luau Polynesian Explosion
Access to each day's events (Friday Night, Saturday all day, and Sunday all day)

Enjoy three days of cultural workshops featuring artisans from all over the Pacific Rim, exhibitors displaying tiki related merchandise and three fully stocked bars, musicians, and ‘talent’ performers (magician, juggler, etc.).

Are these tickets for the dinner and a traditional luau show? Do you need to buy tickets to see the bands like the Dynatones and Ape?

ON THE TIKIFEST.COM WEBSITE IT SAYS THIS FOR SAT::
The schedual for Sat is this:
10:00am - Doors open for General attendance
10:00am – 4:30pm - Cultural workshops to include: Lei Making, Tiki Carving, and Hula dancing lessons. Exhibitors and vendors are present in their booths. Live entertainment featuring they Dynotones with King Kukulele and Crazy Al as Emcee’s.
4:30pm - Vendor Breakdown
4:30pm – 6:00pm - First seating for Luau meal
5:30pm – 7:00pm - Second Luau seating for meal
6:30pm - Seating for performance begins
7:00pm – 8:30pm - Show begins with Blue Hawaiians performing
8:30pm – 9:00pm - King Kukulele and Crazy Al perform at intro to Luau
9:00pm – 10:30pm - Island's Embrace Luau Explosion by Westwind Productions

ON THE ALOHAWORLD.COM WEBSITE IT SAYS THIS FOR SAT:
Sat. 11am-3pm: Cultural & Tiki Artisan Vendors
Sat. 6pm: 1st Luau Seating
Sat. 7pm 2nd Luau Seating & 7pm-8:15pm: Ape Featuring Crazy Al carvin' a Tiki live
8:30pm-10pm: The Westwind Luau Explosion featuring the music of Gregg DeCastro
10:15pm - 11:30pm The Blue Hawaiians
No-Host Bar

So IS Ape playing at all? Alohaworld.com says so but TIKIFEST.COM doesn't mention it. It lists the Dynatones and the Blue Hawaiians but not Ape.
A little help on this would be great.
Thanks.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2006-05-21 09:53 ]

Thank you for your question ! We are updating our website http://www.catalinatikifest.com to help answer more questions. One ticket gets you into ALL three days of tiki events including the luau and ALL bands. The only difference is the "Island level" tickets does not include luau meal. (We have a 1000 seats and can only serve 700 luau meals per Descanso Beach Club). The music is as follows Dynotones, King Kukulele, Friki Tiki's, Westwind Productions "Island Escape" of 50 choreographed Polynesian dancers and yes the band APE with Crazy AL. We have been playing phone tag with the Ape representative but we spoke to Crazy Al and a couple other band members at Tiki Oasis and they told us "Catalina Tiki Fest is penciled in". This is going to be a HUGE tiki event. Descanso beach is a beautiful ocean beach front location with several thatched bars, beautiful grass lawn for vendors, cultural exhibitions and bands. We have Fender guitar as a sponsor that is introducing a new ukulele and will have lots of Fender give-a-ways. Additional sponsors are Quiksilver Edition, Voodoo Rum, Don the Beachcomber, Tiki Farm, Latitude 33 and Catalina Express. Doug Horne has also signed up to make a limited edition Catalina Island Tiki fest event poster available only at the event. We are putting together a lot of additional surprises to be announced. If anyone needs any additional information PLEASE email me or post a note. WE CAN HELP. I can only say PLEASE plan early as accommodations will be harder to find as the date gets closer. We can give you reccommendations of good clean cheap places to the absolute best. We have also chartered a Catalina Express boat to return to Long Beach Saturday at 11:30 PM. If someone want to come for Saturday only, enjoy the vendors, cultural events, music, bands, luau, dance show, APE and still head home Saturday night that is possible. If would be one full day but one you would never forget (: !

I hope everyone is as excited about this as we are ! Catalina Island in August is an "E" ticket ride add a little rum some sun swaying palm trees, tiki torches and good music and let yourself be swept away by Catalina's intoxicating island ambiance.

Mahalo,

Jerry - Latitude 33 (promoters of the 1st annual Catalina Tiki Fest) http://www.catalinatikifest.com

Thanks, Jerry. That pretty much covers it. One other thing, are tickets going to available for purchase on the island, the day of the event? I'm not totally sure what day or for how long I can stay out there.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2006-05-22 08:47 ]

If you are looking for a hotel accommodations for the weekend PM for more information :)

C

Can someone tell me more about the "cultural exhibitions?"

H

On 2006-05-27 08:55, CaseyJPS wrote:
Can someone tell me more about the "cultural exhibitions?"

I heard it was some sort of display involving petrie dishes and yeast.

In answer to questions about tickets available the weekend of the event on the island. This question is hard to answer. If we have tickets available we will be selling them that weekend. We do not expect to have tickets available since we hope to sell out before then. We have a 10,000 piece Tiki Telegraph mailer going out in the next two weeks and about 20,000 email blast also going out. We only have 1000 tickets so this will go quick (and hotel availability). Please keep in mind that one ticket buys the whole 3 days and all access to all events, music, etc.. Ticket prices are the same if you attend one or three days. We do not have a single day ticket. We have tried to price the tickets reasonable enough so even if you just come Saturday it will be a great deal.

Thanks,

Jerry

Cultural Exhibitions:

We plan to have Ukulele demonstrations, Hula dance lessons and demo, Maori face painting, Lei making, tiki carving, and as much more as we can round up should be great !

Thanks,

Jerry

On 2006-06-01 08:17, Latitude 33 wrote:
Cultural Exhibitions:

We plan to have Ukulele demonstrations, Hula dance lessons and demo, Maori face painting, Lei making, tiki carving, and as much more as we can round up should be great !

Thanks,

Jerry

So, we can all get lei'd, shake our hips, shape some wood and tatoo our faces????? This weekend keeps getting better all the time!!!

does anyone know if you need transportation tickets as well, ferry, etc? I can't find any info, thanks

Amy

Check out http://www.catalinaexpress.com for boat transportation information :)

A

On 2006-01-23 13:40, SoccerTiki wrote:

... No problem! It's just "26 miles across the sea........." How long will that take to paddle in my dinghy????...

... stay one week longer and find out... the catalina classic is on sunday august 27, 2006... depending on conditions could take between 5.5 and 10 hours...

... http://www.catalinaclassic.org/

... a rock to rock paddle (for those training for the classic) will be on July 18, 2006...

[ Edited by: alohabros 2006-06-05 20:56 ]

R
Rocco posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 9:51 PM

My buddy and I are are headed to Catalina for our first Tiki fest ANYWHERE....EVER! I'm stoked and can't wait...but I've only been to Catalina once before. Any tips on where to stay that's close to the activities? Any heads up is much appreciated.....Mahalo!

Hmmmmmm it seems Mothra is broke. Just got back from Hawaii and now I'm freakin' poor. I'll try and make it folks. Only time will tell........

A

On 2006-06-06 21:51, Rocco wrote:

... Any tips on where to stay that's close to the activities...

... catalina is small, so you're close to everything, even if you camp... try villa portofino or catalina canyon resort... there are boat charters from the mainland as well, so sleeping at a mooring is a great opportunity (check with the local sailing clubs in long beach, san pedro, marina del rey, etc.)... you can organize your own raft-up tiki parties...

... catalina is great during the "off-season" as well... the "islanders" get bitter, drunk and want to fight with the "mainlanders"...

...and during springbreak, at least one drunk frat dude drives a golf cart off a cliff... boffo!...

Lots of room availability for Catalina Tiki Fest ! To make sure everyone has hotel information as of today June 7 the following hotels have availability for Friday & Saturday August 18 & 19. I suggest getting room reservations ASAP. The Catalina Express boat is at http://www.catalinaexpress.com.

Go to http://www.catalinachamber.com or http://www.catalina.com for direct access to phone numbers and web sites.

Seaport Village Inn - 31 rooms
Hotel St Lauren - 11 rooms
Catalina Island Inn - 29 rooms
Catalina Canyon Hotel Best Western - 40 rooms
Atwater Hotel - 27 rooms
Pavillion Hotel 13 rooms (Saturday night only, odd but true)
Cloud 7 Hotel - 5 rooms
Hotel MacRae - 16 rooms
Catalina Beach House - 2 rooms
Hermosa Hotel - 15 rooms
Glemore Plaza Hotel - 25 - 30 rooms
La Paloma Hotel - 12 rooms
Hotel Vincentes - 3 rooms
El Terado Terrace - 19 rooms

Condos or Houses:

Call:

Beach Realty -
Catalina Vacation Rentals
Hamilton Cove Realty
Hunt & Associates

Catalina Island Tikifest is proud to announce that Bill Tapia a 98 year old master musician and entertainer will be a special edition to the entertainment line up. Type in his name without the quote marks on GOOGLE and you will get over 1,000,000 hits! He is still spry as ever, and this year has done concerts in Hawaii and Northern CA.. The Smokin' Menehunes will back him for this
spotlight guest appearance.

I have also got a sneak peak at Doug Horne's special art piece for the Catalina Island Tiki Fest and it is awesome ! He is doing a limited edition of 75 prints are on heavy Velvet fine art paper and the price will be $50 each. They will be available only at the event to ticket holders. So plan to get to Doug early as I know all prints will be sold out. I will try and see if I can get it posted on our website http://www.catalinatikifest.com.

Mahalo,

Jerry Dunn
Latitude 33

On 2006-06-09 18:42, Latitude 33 wrote:
Catalina Island Tikifest is proud to announce that Bill Tapia a 98 year old master musician and entertainer will be a special edition to the entertainment line up. Type in his name without the quote marks on GOOGLE and you will get over 1,000,000 hits! He is still spry as ever, and this year has done concerts in Hawaii and Northern CA.. The Smokin' Menehunes will back him for this
spotlight guest appearance.

I have also got a sneak peak at Doug Horne's special art piece for the Catalina Island Tiki Fest and it is awesome ! He is doing a limited edition of 75 prints are on heavy Velvet fine art paper and the price will be $50 each. They will be available only at the event to ticket holders. So plan to get to Doug early as I know all prints will be sold out. I will try and see if I can get it posted on our website http://www.catalinatikifest.com.

Mahalo,

Jerry Dunn
Latitude 33

We saw Bill tapia at King Kukulele's Tiki Taix last month. Wow! What a great addition to the lineup!!! It's going to be a great weekend!!!!

yeah. rub it in why doncha.

The summer is really warming up the weather has turned from good to GREAT here on Catalina island. Time to dust off the coconut bra and skirt and get ready to party. Once again if anyone needs info, help, questions answered we are here for you. Don't forget August 18, 19, 20th Catalina Island Tiki fest.

get your tickets ASAP - www.catalinatikifest,com

Jerry,

Latitude 33

Still looking for a place to stay?? PM me for more information :)

Mahalo WooHoo for all your kokua.

Check this out for Catalina Tiki Fest Entertainment: http://www.westwindproductions.com

Wow, the Catalina Island Tiki Fest is really shaping up. Ape with Crazy Al, King Kukulele, Smokin Menuhunes, Dynotones, Friki Tiki's. Ticket are still available but selling quick !

www.catalinatikifest or 310 510-0178 ext 703

Are the Blue Hawaiian still going to play??

How many other East Coasters are joining me for Catalina? Com'on ya pansies! Book the flights already.

OK you tiki fanatics: Here's the latest hotel availability posting. This does not include condos and houses that have availability also. Check out http://www.catalinachamber.com and wwwcatalina.com for additional accomodations information. Several places I can reccomend calling for houses or condos,
Catalina Island vacation Rentals
Beach Reality
Hamiliton Cove Rentals

Make those reservations now it is hot sunny and that mai tai is waitin' for you. Give us a call to for Catalina Tikiufest Tickits at 310 510-0178 ext 703 or go online at http://www.catalinatikifest.com.

HOTEL ROOMS (As of 6/28/06)
Atwater 15
Best Western 6
Cloud 7 6
Catalina Island Inn 12
Hotel Catalina 7
Hotel St Lauren 15
Hotel Vincentes 4
Seaport Village 28
The Catherine Hotel 2
Hotel MaCrae 2
Glenmore Plaza 30
Catalina Beach House 2
Hermosa Hotel 8

Mahalo,

Jerry
Latitude 33

Catalina Tikifest is getting closer ! To best help those that are still thinking about coming.The following is a list of hotel availability as of July 2. Hope to see you all on the island in August.

Aloha,

Jerry - Latitude 33

Avalon Hotel- 1
Best Western- 9
Casa Mariquita- 13
Catalina Beach House- 19
Cloud 7- 3
El Terrado- 6
Glenmore Hotel- 45
Hermosa Hotel- 2
Hotel Catalina- 1
St. Lauren- 17
La Paloma- "wide open"
Seacrest Inn- 6
Seaport Village Inn- 27

Wow! There are still a lot of rooms available! I suggest that anyone on the fence should book today!!! That is a BIG weekend on CaTIKIlina Island!

B
bungy posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 1:35 PM

Uh oh!! This is the same weekend as the "Hang Loose, pot luck finger food, bring your ukulele no host Luau" at Royal Palms State Park in San Pedro..known in the olden days as Trade Winds Cove, when Bamboo Ben's Mom and aunties were girls. (1945 to 1955). Maybe the ones on Catalina can stop by on their way home!
Lots of the Hedley Family will be there, and anyone who wants to come is invited!! Just so long as you bring along FUN! We'll be there from noon on, so maybe I'll get to meet ya"ll!

I used to sail to Catalina almost every weekend starting from age 12, with Dwight Long, who sailed aorund the world in 1934 (the year I was born!) Not many people then, and the island was pristine! I went over on the "ferry boat" a few years ago, and it only took 45 min. We rented a golf cart, went around the paths, and ate a great fish dinner on the bay! It was fun being back. Amazing that it still felt old time!

If I don't see ya there, I'll look forward to Ft. Lauderdale! Auntie Bungy

CATALINA TIKIFEST INFORMATION

OK you Tiki afishinados this the latest hotel availability. Don't forget about the availability of Condos and houses. For these call:

Hamilton Cove Realty
Beach Realty
Catalina Island Vacation Rentals
Hunt Realty

You can link to all these guys on http://www.catalinachamber.org or http://www.catalina.com

For Catalina Island Tikifest tickets: http://www.catalinatikifest.com or call 310 510-0178 ext 703

Here's the list of Hotels:

As of July 8

Avalon hotel- 1
Casa Mariquita- 12
Catalina Island Inn- 19
Cloud 7 - 2
El Terrado- 7
Glenmore hotel- 20
Hermosa- 2
Hotel Catalina- 6
St. Lauren- 19
La Paloma- 10
Seacrest Inn- 5
Seaport Village Inn- 18

Aloha,

Jerry
Latitude 33

D

Sooooo...I'll ask again since WooHoo's question went unawnsered...were the Blue Hawaiians dropped from the venue because this website still has them listed as part of the entertainment. I'm sure people who plan on attending would like to be 100 percent sure of what to expect.
http://alohaworld.com/cgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=detail&event_id=11256&user_id=100899&website=default&category_id=&session=43d51d1a07984c6a

So sorry for the lateness on the reply regarding the Blue Hawaiians, I'm sorry to say the Blue Hawaiians are not playing. We replaced them with APE and Crazy Al which I think is really a huge plus for the event. We also have: The Dynotones, Smokin Menehunes, King Kukulele and the Friki Tiki's and Gregg DeCastro and the Many Nation Band. We will have a couple surprise all stars on Sunday that we will announce soon.

The complete line up and times of all events can be found on the website under "event schedule". One additional item of interest we are having a raffle for two Fender acoustic guitars valued at $900.00 each. We also have some really cool Catalina Island Tikifest merchandise available at the event: The festival print by Doug Horne is now available to reserve on line to Tikifest ticket holders. There is only a limited edition of only 50 available and 15 have already been sold and reserved. You can reserve yours now on line. Doug will be at the event with his awesome art. We will also have Doug's art on T-shirts.

Other cool items will be Hurricane glassware, Tikifest portable six pak coolers, Tikifest logo mugs, Lifeguard straw hats with logo and many more cool collectable items from the First Annual Catalina Island Tikifest.

Be sure and get the word out about Tikifest, the premier section is almost sold out ! We still have plenty of tickets available but as the event gets closer these will move pretty quick.

go to: http://www.catalinatikifest.com or call 310 510-0178 ext 602 for additional information or tickets.

Mahalo,

Jerry - Latitude 33

D

Thanks Jerry for clearing that up :)

Sorry to Hi jack the thread, especailly if there was some falling out between the promoters and the Blue Hawiians, but I got a e-mail from the Lava Lounge in Hollywood, and it said that the Blue Hawiians would be playing there late in August.
I'll post it in tiki music when I find out for sure.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff (bigtikidude): I hope I did not imply their was any "falling out". We just had to choose between the Blue Hawaiians and Ape and we choose Ape.

Hope to see you in Catalina

Mahalo,

Jerry
Latitude 33

No you did not imply that.
I was just saying I hoped (if) there was a falling out,
that my post wasn't in bad form, by promoting their show at the Lava Lounge

No worries, Have a great event,
wish I could afford to go.

Jeff(Bigtikidude)

OK, I'm trying my best to help all you with the latest hotel availability:
Here's the list as of July 14. You can link to all these at http://www.catalinachamber.com. For tickets go to http://www.catalinatikifest.com

As of July 14

Avalon Hotel- 1
Casa Mariquita- 12
Catalina Island Inn- 12
El Terrado- 5
Glenmore hotel- 18
Hermosa- 2
Hotel Catalina- 4
St. Lauren- 13
La Paloma- 9
Seacrest Inn- 4
Seaport Village Inn- 16

Mahalo,

Jerry
Latitude 33

Catikilina Island is on fire!!!!! As of 8:02 pm Saturday night 2 seperate lightning flashes started 2 fires on the island! 1 has burned over 15 acres and the other has burned 2....Hopefully they are not near Avalon!!! WooHooWahine and I were up at Pt Fermin this evening and could see the orange flames from the island! Lots of lightning out over the water.
Say a prayer that our little island doesn't go up in flames!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies