Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

Catalina Island fires threaten homes
New, 9:35 a.m. Two blazes touched off by lightning move toward 20 houses, triggering evacuations.
From wire service reports

Evacuations were ordered on Catalina Island today as two fast-moving brush fires caused by lightning moved toward 20 houses, a fire dispatcher said.

The fires, which started shortly after 8 p.m., have burned at least 1,200 acres in the central part of the island, Los Angeles County fire supervisor Ed Pickett said.

Evacuations were ordered this morning as the blaze moved toward houses in the Empire Landing area, Pickett said.

Lightning strikes made travel by helicopter hazardous, so Marines from Camp Pendleton used hovercrafts to take about 150 county firefighters to the island to assist the Avalon Fire Department, Pickett said.

No injuries were reported.

No worries all is well with fires on Catalina Island.

I watched from my boat at the Isthmus the lightning strikes. It was one wild night with thunder, lightning, hot wind and at least seven different fires started by lightning. Sunday morning I took my dingy down to Empire Landing (about 20 minutes by boat from Avalon, ten from the Isthmus) and they had held the fire from the houses there at the "old Empire Quarry". All day Sunday 3 or 4 helicopters did water drops on the fires. But all is well and with the help of some great fire fighters I believe all fires are out.

We need all you tiki friends to help get the word out on Catalina Island Tikifest. With only a few weeks to go we need your help getting those last minute people to "get on boooooard the Tiki boat to Catalina Island". Just call 310 510-0178 ext 602 or go to http://www.catalinatikifest.com.

All you procrastinators get you tiki butts in gear and get your tickets, you know who you are (:

Any questions ? As always gimme a hollar,

Mahalo,

Jerry
latitude 33

Posting another hotel availability list for Catalina Tikifest weekend:

Hotel Availability as of July 26

Rooms Phone Number
Avalon Hotel 1 310 510-7070
Casa Mriquita Hotel 8 (310) 510-1192 OR 800-545-1192
Catalina Island Inn 1 (310) 510-1623 OR 800-246-8134
El Terrado Terrace Hotel 5 (310) 510-0831
Glenmore Plaza Hotel 15 (310) 510-0017 OR 800-422-8254
Hermosa Hotel 1 (310) 510-1010
Hotel St. Lauren 5 (310) 510-2299
La Paloma Hotel 7 (310) 510-1505
Seacrest Inn 2 (310) 510-0800
Seaport Village Inn 8 (310) 510-0344

See ya there (:

Jerry
Latitude 33

M

who has a spare bed or floor for a roomate? (me)

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2006-08-12 09:23 ]

On 2006-08-04 20:54, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2006-08-04 18:50, Monkeyman wrote:
who has a spare bed or floor for a roomate? (me)

I do !!!

You bring the condoms and I'll bring the lube, whips and chains!!!!!!

Arrrrr!!!!!

Yeah I was just thinking that you two would make a very cute couple!!! Ben if you need a nice towel rack I got one you can borrow!!!
Rapa Nui fuckerz!!!!!!!!

whose been posting after killing a 12pack of keystone?

On 2006-08-04 23:46, Monkeyman wrote:
whose been posting after killing a 12pack of keystone?

Pabst!!!

( that was a JOKE people!!!)

OK all you Tiki aficionados, were talking days until the FIRST ANNUAL CATALINA ISLAND TIKIFEST. Sorry it's all in bold I'm really getting excited. Red Bull is putting up a VIP tent that will be really a blast. Sort of a decompression tent with free drinks, cool seating and some other swag to keep you happy. When you check in if you are a Tiki Central blogger just say "I'm a VIP" and we will give you a VIP wrist band that will get you in the Red Bull VIP tent. If you know anyone that's waiting until the last minute, that time is NOW ! I will post hotel availability below as of today August 8th. The Premier section is sold out and Tiki Level almost gone. We only have about a 100 tickets left that will include the luau meal. We will also have a Tikifest Promotion on KTLA morning show at 9AM Wednesday August 9th. Teasers at 9, 9:20 and 9:28 then the interview with dance performance at 9:30. This performance is going to be in front of Dukes in Huntington Beach. Check it out in person if your in the area or turn on the Boob Toob.

Hotel Availability as of August 6

Rooms Phone Number

El Terrado Terrace Hotel1 (310) 510-0831
Glenmore Plaza Hotel 7 (310) 510-0017 OR 800-422-8254
Casa Mariquita Hotel 2 (310) 510-1192 OR 800-545-1192
Hotel St. Lauren 3 (310) 510-2299
Seaport Village Inn 3 (310) 510-0344
Seacrest Inn 3 (310) 510-0800
Catalina Resort & Spa 4 (310) 510-0325
Hotel McRae 1 (310) 510-2121 OR 800-698-2266
Old Turner Inn 1 (310) 510-2236

You can also call for condo’s or houses:

Catalina Vacation Rental – 310 510-2276
Hamilton Cove Vacation Rentals – 310 510-0190
Beach Reality – 510-0039

You can check out all these places via http://www.catalinachamber.com or http://www.catalina.com

FOR TICKETS: http://www.catalinatikifest.com

Hope this helps,

Jerry
Latitude 33

R
Rocco posted on Sun, Aug 6, 2006 9:39 PM

Unfortuately I need to cancel my trip to TikiFest. I have two tickets for the weekend...Luau for 4:30 in the HULA section row A seats 12 & 13.
I paid $228.38 for two(incl. tax), I'll sell for $200.

Please email [email protected] if interested. Thanks!

BEWARE & Be Prepared: Rugby Matt, Tiki-Tina, and Bamboo Boyd are coming out to Californitiki to go to Catalina Tiki Fest with us :)

S

Hey Latitude,

Do you have any info/advice on moorings?

Check you PM's.

Aloha everyone! Unfortunately something has come up and we may not be able to attend the Catalina Island Tiki-Fest as planned. If you are interested in going but don't have tickets, PM me and let me know, we'll working something out!!! We have 2 tickets available. Thanks!

On 2006-08-09 10:41, tiki-tina wrote:
Aloha everyone! Unfortunately something has come up and we may not be able to attend the Catalina Island Tiki-Fest as planned. If you are interested in going but don't have tickets, PM me and let me know, we'll working something out!!! We have 2 tickets available. Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

Damn the muslim fanatics, full speed ahead to Catalina!

Twenty six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waiting for Soccer Tiki and me
Santa Catalina, the island of
Tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

Water all around it everywhere
Tropical trees and salty air
But for us the thing that's a-waiting is
Tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

It seems so distant twenty six miles away ??
Resting in the waters serene
We'd work for anyone, even the navy
Who would float us to our island green

Twenty six miles, so near yet so far
We'd swim with just some water wings and a ukulele
We would leave the wings, we could leave the ukulele
For tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

A tropical heaven, out in the ocean
Covered with trees and TCers
If we have to swim we'll do it forever
Till we're gazing on those island tikis

Forty kilometres in a leaky old boat
Any old thing that'll stay afloat
When we arrive we'll all promote tiki, tiki, tiki

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-13 15:12 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-15 15:12 ]

We were hoping to arrive Thursday evening, but now looks like Friday morning. Look forward to the whole weekends festivities (beach bingo!) and meeting new friends. I see that a lot of artists will be at Long Beach that weekend, anyone know which TC artists will be at Catalina? I assume Doug Horne, but the TikiFest site doesn't list the vendors. Latitude, do you know?

S

We are planning to take our boat, Kon-Tiki over to the island on Thursday, weather permitting.

So if all is well then we will see you all in Catalina with our friends Kimo You and Joe the Pro.

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-08-14 22:04 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-08-14 22:05 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-16 08:08 ]

I see that a lot of artists will be at Long Beach that weekend, anyone know which TC artists will be at Catalina? I assume Doug Horne, but the TikiFest site doesn't list the vendors. Latitude, do you know?

Aloha alohacurrent, yes Stacey and I are going for sure. We will have a booth with my art and her jewelry.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

JOHNNY SUEDE SUGGESTS
Buenos Dias Bitches! ...
Johnny Suede

August is here and let the party begin! This month I thought I would first give the floor to the Holden Westland, the distinguished gentleman from Catalina Island and let him tell you all about the First Annual Tiki Festival to be held- Aww fuck it- I’ll let him tell you all about it!

First Annual Catalina Tiki Fest

The allure and the cultural richness of the Hawaiian Islands are making its way to Southern California this year. Should you wish to appreciate all that the Hawaiian Islands have to offer, you can experience it all right here in our own backyard at the First Annual Catalina Tiki Fest.

Held at Descanso Beach in Avalon on beautiful Catalina Island 22 miles off the coast of Southern California, the Catalina Tiki Fest boasts a traditional Pacific Rim style Luau with over 50 dancers, cultural vendors such Maori face painters, lei makers, Bora Bora fire jugglers, Tiki carvers, Tiki artisans, Tiki Bands and much more.

Highlighting the event is Gregg DeCastro & the All Nations Band and the Westwind Luau Explosion. The Westwind Luau Explosion is one of the finest Halau’s (Hawaiian Hula Dance Troup) in the entire continental United States. Their traditional Hula dances span the entire chain of Pacific Rim Islands and feature the traditional costumes of all of the Islander nations represented.

The music is indicative of the modern day heavily resurgent Tiki movement. "Tiki" music is a combination of Hawaiian Style, Exotica, Surf, Ukulele and Lounge with a little bit of modern edge thrown in. The headlining act is a band called "Ape". Crazy Al, a notorious character in the Tiki movement, fronts 'Ape'. Arguably, no modern day entertainer looks more like the Captain Morgan pirate than Crazy Al. While crooning out the lyrics, Crazy Al carves a full sized Tiki statue on stage… in rhythm! Ape’s style starts off old-time Hawaiian meets modern Hawaiian (with a touch of a punk rock edge) and then transitions into a VooDooesque, mysterious pulse pounding frenzy.

Also playing the event is King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis. Denny Moynahan (aka: King Kukulele) is the voice of modern day Tiki and will be emceeing the weekend long event. Moynahan’s Vaudevillian style performance and impromptu and off the cuff antics have enchanted crowds for years at Tiki events past.

Also playing the event are the Dynotones and the Martini Kings. The Dynotones bring the high-powered Surf genre to the stage and the Martini Kings add an Exotica top-off to this culturally packed weekend. In between the musical acts, local L.A. based "DJ Lee" will be spinning all of the aforementioned styles of music. DJ Lee is L.A’s most well known spinner of "Tiki".

Tiki artisans from all over the globe will also be in attendance at the event, vending their unique handcrafts on both Saturday and Sunday. Tropical décor and fashion, unique carvings, Tiki mugs, Polynesian jewelry, oil paintings and prints are just some of what will be found. The weekend presents a unique opportunity for its guests to purchase some of today’s hottest and most unique fashion and décor items.

Along with a complete Luau experience, what sets the Catalina Tiki Fest apart from other Tiki events is an abundance of cultural vendors. The event will include Maori face painters, Bora Bora Drumers, Keiki (Hawaiian for "kid") Hula lessons, Ukulele lessons, and Shaved Ice and Polynesian fire jugglers. There will also be 2 fully stocked VooDoo Rum sponsored Tiki bars on the grounds at Descanso Beach.

Raffle Tickets will be sold during vending hours for a 5-day, 4-night stays at both the Royal Kona Resort and the Royal Lahaina Resorts (including complimentary dinner for 2 at their recently re-opened "Don the Beachcomber" Restaurants; airfare not included) as well as for a Fender Acoustic Guitar and a Gretsch Acoustic Guitar. Fender & Gretsch will be on site debuting their brand new line of Ukuleles and other corporate vendors in attendance will be Quiksilver Edition, Mountain Apple (featuring the largest offering of Hawaiian cd’s in the world) and Don the Beachcomber Restaurants

tiki drinki tiki drinki!

Well tiki buddy's it's almost time. We start building our "village" tomorrow out at Descanso Beach. Friday night we have beach blanket bingo so bring a blanket or towel or something too lounge outside under the stars on the grass and enjoy the music, bingo and a couple of adult beverages. We have lined up some great music for Sunday too ! Don't forget to mention Tiki Central when you check in to get your VIP wristband for the VIP Redbull booth (Saturday night FREE red bull and vodka) plus a nice area to relax and decompress. On the question about moorings unfortunately it's a first come first serve, no reservations accepted. If you know somebody who knows somebody who owns a mooring you can have the owner make a reservation for you. I am a lowly tiki bum and have no mooring owner friends, good luck ! We still have some tickets available so anyone out there that can bum a piece of floor or boat bunk come on over we guarantee you will have the best TIKI experience of your life or double your TIKI back. Call 310 510-0178 ext 602 (Tikifest hot line) or http://www.catalinatikifest.com. By the way we just signed up TIKI DADDY to carve TIKI's all weekend. Thanks to all you tiki aficionados for checking in. See you all this weekend.

Jerry
Latitude 33

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-17 07:44 ]

B
bungy posted on Wed, Aug 16, 2006 3:12 PM

The Ballad of Santa Catalina!

22 miles, so near yet so far,
Santa Catalina you can't get there by car.
from Royal Palms Park we'll be watching ya'll,
And knowing you u are having a Tiki ball!

In 1947 we sat around our dining table,
Looking out the window directly at this "fable" (well! What else rhymes with table except maybe Mayble??),
Santa Catalina how many times over the years,
I've sailed to you, to you, to you!

See ya at La Conga on Sunday eve.. or at Bamboo Bens on 27th..or at Hukilau.. and at Catalina NEXT year! Auntie Bungy

On 2006-08-16 15:12, bungy wrote:
The Ballad of Santa Catalina!

22 miles, so near yet so far,
Santa Catalina you can't get there by car.
from Royal Palms Park we'll be watching ya'll,
And knowing you u are having a Tiki ball!
In 1947 we sat around our dining table,
Looking out the window directly at this "fable"
Santa Catalina how many times over the years,
I've sailed to you, to you, to you!
See ya at La Conga on Sunday eve.. or at Bamboo Bens on 27th..or at Hukilau.. and at Catalina NEXT year! Auntie Bungy

Ah.....1947 the opening of the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach! What it would have been like to be there then! (or looking out the window at Catalina!) Looking forward to Sunday night at La Conga! Of course after tipping the Island over all weekend!!!

WoooHooooOOOOOOOO!!!!! 2 more days til CaTikiLina Island Tiki Fest!!!!!

Hey WooHoo!
Bif came to the opening on the 5th and said he was goin and now I have a confirmation! YeeeeeeHah! He's a great fella to hang out with,a great and talented individual! I've known him since I worked at Rusty Surfboards waaaaaaaaaay back in the early 90's back when Mind Meld was still hopping! It don't get better than this! Can't wait to see old friends and meet up with new ones!!!!!!!!!

WooooHooooo! 1 More Day!! Time for Roll Call: The following people are "IN" for The First Annual Catalina Island Tikifest: (PM me to add your name to this list)

Soccer Tiki & WooHooWahine
Rugby Matt
Smogbreather
Tiki Dogg & Son
King Kukulele, Hiliary, & The Tribe
Dr. Bone Crusher & Family
Shell in the Pacific & Little Spirit
Stentiki & His Crew
Aloha Current
Little Lost Tiki and Wahine
Swampfire & Stacey
Ikabod
Maya
Biff
DawnTiki

Let's Make a Deal....... I Have 2 Extra Tiki Fest Tix

Luau Seating Time: 4:30pm
Section: Tiki Row:A Seat 19 & 20

***If you need 2 Extra Tickets or Want to Upgrade Your Tix find me on the Island.
Remember: First Come, First Served! Or call SoccerTiki @ 562-500-9800. See you in Catalina. WOOOOHOOOO!

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies