Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

San Diego Area (mostly vintage) Bars and Restaurants

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

In preparation for the upcoming Tiki Oasis, and with the help of The Jab and while under the influence of Mr. Smiley, I'm starting a list of San Diego area Restaurants & Bars. Feel free to add your own favorites:

Imperial House: 505 Kalmia St., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 234-3525 Website: http://www.imperialhouse.net/
After 3 & a half decades of service this is one of San Diego's last bastions of Traditional Continental Cuisine. They're famous for their Old World service, classic dishes (such as Imperial Pepper Steak, the Fresh Seafood Platter, Mock Turtle Soup a l'Anglaise, and Rack of Lamb), and tableside flambés for classic dishes like Steak Diane & Cherries Jubilee. Or you can sink back in one of their red leather chairs in the Lounge & listen to the piano player.

Bully's East: 2401 Camino Del Rio S., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 291-2665 Website: http://www.bullyssandiego.com/
From it's beautiful dark wood barback, to it's Prime Rib, to it's Seafood and Surf & Turf combos, this location's been a San Diego institution for about as long as the Imperial House. There's also a Bully's del Mar (1404 Camino del Mar, Del Mar, Ca. Phone: (858) 755-1660), and a Bully's La Jolla (5755 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla, Ca. Phone: (858) 459-0663) with much the same menu if you are in their neighborhoods.

Red Fox Room: 2223 El Cajon Blvd., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 297-1313
In the Lafayette/Inn Suites Hotel. This is one of The Jabs favorite San Diego Piano Bars, I haven't been there, but I believe the menu's supposed to be of the solid Steak & Baked Potato style, and the drinks are strong & inexpensive.

Albie's Beef Inn: 1201 Hotel Cir S (at the Travelodge), SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 291-1103
More classic dark wood & red leather, and in business for 40+ years! You might come for the Steak, you might come for the double well drink happy hour, heck you might come for the gilt framed nudes on the walls, but do stay for the Piano Bar.

Hernandez Hideaway: 19320 Lake Dr., Escondito, Ca. Phone: (760) 746-1444
There's nothing fancy at this funky old roadhouse on the outer reaches of Escondido, just plenty of filling Mexican home-style cooking at easy-to-swallow prices, and Albert Hernandez' signature Margarita.

Cask 'n Cleaver Steakhouse: 3757 S Mission Road, Fallbrook, Ca. Phone: (760) 728-2818 Website: http://www.caskncleaver.com/index.htm
Mmmm, deep fried Avocado tempura! Add well aged Steaks, strong drinks, music acts on weekends, and an Old West theme... did I mention the deep fried Avocados?

Bali Hai: 2230 Shelter Island Dr, SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 222-1181 Website: http://www.balihairestaurant.com/
"Bali Ha'i may call you/Any night, any day/In your heart, you'll hear it call you:/ 'Come away...Come away.'" 'Nuff said!

Islands Restaurant, and Sushi & PuPu Bar: 2270 Hotel Circle N. (in the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel), SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 297-1101 Website: http://www.islandssushi.com/
Located in the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel, this is the last place in Mission Valley to enjoy a fine meal in a tikified setting. You can either eat in the Islands restaurant or in Islands Sushi and Pupu Bar. The Island's restaurant has kept more of the Mid-Century feel the hotel had in years past, and many of it's tikis came from Steve Crane's Luau in LA! It's not very tiki in the Sushi Bar, but you are right next to the restauran,t and the prices are cheaper. While you're there, please check out the tikis on the grounds of the Hotel.

**Hob Nob Hill **: 2271 First Ave., Sd, Ca. Phone: (619) 239-8176
Homestyle Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner served since 1944. Waitresses in uniforms with aprons freshen your coffee when you need it while serving you Waffles, Omlettes & Pancakes, Chicken & Dumplings, Turkey Croquettes, Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes, and all breads & muffins are baked on the premises. What's not to like?

Chicken Pie Diner: 14727 Pomerado Road, Poway, Ca. Phone: (858) 748-2445 Website: http://www.chickenpiediner.com/
If you remember the classic '50s Diner, or if you want to, this place's menu is swell: Yankee Pot Roast, Hula Burgers, Mac & Cheese (with real cheese!), Meatloaf ("like Mom used to make, but better!"), or regional favorites like Georgia-style Slaw Dogs, Philly Cheese Steaks, & Buffalo Wings, plus real hand dipped shakes & malts, big enough for 2, and flavored Pepsi (chocolate, vanilla & cherry).

Rudford's: 2900 El Cajon Boulevard, SD, Ca. Phone (619) 282-8423
Fries & a Coke, 24 Hours a Day, and it's not Denny's!

Turf Supper Club: 1116 25th St., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 234-6363
You cook your own Steaks, Chops & Kabobs on the central comunal grill while listening to the piano players (Sundays from 7-Mid.) or playing something nice from the Sinatra stocked juke box. The drinks are strong, the dance floor tiny, and there's open flames in the middle of the room, what's not to like?

Islands Burgers: 8 locations around San Diego, check the Website for locations: http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/
The decor is big on surfboards and tiki touches, the bar has a thatched-hut roof and the atmosphere just screams out for drink made with rum and pineapple juice (not that you want your drinks made with them, that's just the feel of the place). More Parrothead Chic than Tiki, but you'll find a couple in some of the locations.

Pacific Shores: 4927 Newport Ave., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 223-7549
"Walking into this small, dim bar is like stepping into a giant underwater aquarium -- filled with extremely hip fish." An underwater mural faces a long, curving bar with comfortable swiveling stools and lit by dark blue neon while '40s & '50s standards play on the jukebox. If you tend toward pick-up lines, leave the horoscope ones at home. Here, baby, everyone is a Pisces.

The Lamplighter: 817 W. Washington, SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 298-3624
A classic old style tavern, full of regulars who are full of booze, updated with a Karaoke machine. You can get loaded & sing "Son of a Son of a Sailor." Not that I would, but you could if you like, and I mean thaty in the best possible way. :wink:

Lancer's Cocktail Lounge: 4671 Park Blvd., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 298-5382
Stop in at this tavern and you can sit at the long padded bar, play pool, or relax in one of it's couchettes. Little has changed in here since it's opened back in the '60s except some of the records have worn out in the jukebox & been replaced and the smokers now have to go outside.

Nunu's Cocktail Lounge: 3537 Fifth Ave., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 295-2878
Looking like something the Rat Pack dragged in is a good thing here. The barstools could hold up Jackie Gleason at his booziest, the round booths lining the walls are made of button-riveted, industrial-strength naugahyde, and the fireplace looks like it belongs in an Old School Tahoe Snow Bunny lodge.

The Whistle Stop: 2236 Fern St., SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 284-6784
With a good selection of Beer & Cider on tap, a train station theme, an indoor smoking area, and dogs always are welcome, what more do you need? How about Kick the Reverb and his band like to play there? That's good enough for me.

Hong Kong Nite Club:1030 Broadway, SD, Ca. Phone: (619) 239-4798
A classic Dive Bar that is not only not a Night Club, it has nothing to do with Hong Kong! With 2 Pool tables, cheap drinks, and a jukebox that runs the gamut from Led Zeppelin to Patsy Cline, this is a good place to start or finish a night of bar hopping.

Joor Muffler Man:302 E Valley Pkwy, Escondido, Ca. Phone: (760)746-1877
Not that you need a new muffler, but this's a classic piece of roadside Americana.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-23 11:57 ]

hey.. is the northern Chicken Pie shop associated with the one originally in hillcrest? (it moved 10 yrs ago near to Rudfords) ?

Chicken Pie Shop of S D
(619) 295-0156
2633 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92104

thanks for the list!! we're native San Diegans, with some favorites we'll list later on..

i'd kill for 3 rolled tacos with guacamole and jalisco tainted cheese from any 'Bertos... (they dont have rolled or even cripsy tacos in Seattle, cuz i refuse to count preformed shells...)

I don't think so, Elicia, unless the owner of the Chicken Pie Diner is related to the owners of the Chicken Pie Shop in some way (kid, nephew?). I think the owner of the Chicken Pie Diner's in his 50s, so he might be a younger relative. Next time I run into him I'll ask.

... you cannot forget...

... china inn 877 hornblend street pacific beach...

... red sails 2614 shelter island dr...

T

On 2006-01-23 12:44, dogbytes wrote:
hey.. is the northern Chicken Pie shop associated with the one originally in hillcrest? (it moved 10 yrs ago near to Rudfords) ?

Chicken Pie Shop of S D
(619) 295-0156
2633 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92104

I really miss the old one in Hillcrest. When I was spending all my money on records and beer it was the place for a cheap, very filling meal. I would go into food coma after eating there!

The one near Rudford's isn't quite the same, and I don't really like the fake 50s diner look of the one in the north county. Rudford's is the real deal though. We used to go there after punk shows late at night (remember, shipwreckjoey?). The food was cheap and hearty. A bit of trivia: the cops found the Versace killer there.

Thanks for putting this list together Freddie!

Roll tacos, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. Maybe we should compile a list of the best taco stands in San Diego next! My faves are Los Panchos and La Posta in Hillcrest, but any of the Roberto's, Alberto's, Hilberto's, Adalberto's, etc. are better then the taquerias here in the Bay Area.

When I was in SD recently I noticed the classic Chinese restaurant in Hillcrest Jimmy Wong's Golden Dragon was closed but they are keeping the great neon sign and will reopen (hopefully with better food).

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-01-23 14:42 ]

wow, that's a great sign!

M

The Islands Restaurant is still in business? I didn't see the sign when looking for it when I passed by on Highway 8 last year on a visit to San Diego, so I thought it was gone. My family used to go there quite a bit in 1969-1970, and it had a heck of a lot of atmosphere inside, a waterfall inside, tiki torches outside, lots of philodendrons and other tropical plants. I remember liking the lichi nuts and I remember that their food back then had so much MSG that we actually got a little dizzy and would swear the overhead lamps were swaying when in fact they weren't. That was before the big "No MSG" push. I'd like to see photos of that restaurant to see if it's the same, if anybody plans to go there soon with a digital camera, since it may be a long time before I can get out there again.

Jamar Restaurant in La Mesa is one of the few remaining restaurants I remember from that era. It's been around since 1946, and has never had particularly remarkable decor or notable cuisine, but I ate there 3 years ago on a California visit and the service and food were quite decent, good enough to keep them in business another few decades, so that restaurant stands out in my mind for those reasons.

The Islandia has been around since at least 1969, and has a view of Mission Bay and decent food, but we had an obsequious waiter years ago so we never went back. Still, it's another one that commands respect just because of its age. Those are the kind of restaurants I like.

Jamar Restaurant
7777 University Avenue
La Mesa, CA 91941-4950
(619) 469-7777

P.S.--Another vintage restaurant that goes back to at least 1971 that has always been good is Su Casa, a Mexican restaurant. My family used to eat there in 1971, there's a bar, there's interesting decor, and their octagonal aquarium there now has been there since I took a date there in 1989.

Su Casa Mexican Restaurant
6738 La Jolla Blvd
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 454-0369

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-01-23 16:20 ]

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-01-23 21:35 ]

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-01-23 21:42 ]

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-01-23 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-01-24 10:07 ]

T

mbonga: Yes, the Islands restaurant still has much of the original decor (in the main dining room anyway) complete with the clamshell/lava rock waterfall, ponds, foot bridges and tiki railings, skylight with huge glass floats, etc.

I drove by Jamar last month and noticed it was being remodeled inside (ugh). There were boards on the windows and a sign said reopening soon.

Looking at their web site, it appears the Islandia was remodeled into that upscale faux Mediterranean look (yawn).

On 2006-01-23 14:39, thejab wrote:

...Rudford's is the real deal though... The food was cheap and hearty...

... rudfords has a "50's" sign and the "50's" food is rank as can be... not unlike the pile formerly known as topsy's... 24 hours of pretty darn crappy bile... even children would comment on the mega-filth & grey burger patties & cold fries... 50's motif... it fools only a select few - those drunk, stoned or cut off from mom & dad's visa... remember, to be good, it's gotta be good...

... the real deal is dao son... 2322 el cajon blvd... talk about the goods...

... also, mama's lebanese deli 4237 alabama street... 'kine non-kosher noshin'... live wire neighbors...

D

On 2006-01-23 16:18, mbonga wrote:
The Islandia has been around since at least 1969, and has a view of Mission Bay and decent food, but we had an obsequious waiter years ago and never went back. Still, it's another one that commands respect just because of its age. Those are the kind of restaurants I like.

don't waste your time or money on the Islandia.. the one at the Hyatt, right? we went there for a Sunday Brunch.. it was dead..and certainly does NOT have "The Hyatt Touch".. the restaurant isn't run by Hyatt, and it shows, in the food and service.

T

On 2006-01-23 18:22, alohabros wrote:

... rudfords has a "50's" sign and the "50's" food is rank as can be...

By "the real deal" I meant that it's not a fake 50s diner with pictures of '57 Chevys, etc. (which I can't stand) but it's an original 50s coffee shop. I didn't imply the food was the "real deal" as in a good value. I also said the food was cheap and hearty referring to meals I had there some 25 years ago. I have not tried the food lately.

What about the Jewel Box?

On 2006-01-24 10:38, thejab wrote:

... I didn't imply the food was the "real deal" as in a good value...

... understood...

... the visual at night time is pretty fair, though...

... all the old folks homes being built in the area should give the place a boost in patronage, too...

El Indio Taco Shop

doesnt get any better.

On 2006-01-24 10:38, thejab wrote:

On 2006-01-23 18:22, alohabros wrote:

... rudfords has a "50's" sign and the "50's" food is rank as can be...

By "the real deal" I meant that it's not a fake 50s diner with pictures of '57 Chevys, etc. (which I can't stand) but it's an original 50s coffee shop. I didn't imply the food was the "real deal" as in a good value. I also said the food was cheap and hearty referring to meals I had there some 25 years ago. I have not tried the food lately.

Yep, The Chicken Pie Diner does have a '57 Chevy mural, and autographed pictures of '50s TV stars, framed copies of '50s magazine ads, a Hot Rod Cruise night, and other non-authentic "'50s Diner" items, but the foods great, the wait staff's friendly, and did I mention that the real ice cream shakes & malts are big enough for 2?

Talking about all the restaurants in our neighborhood, huh?
Rudford's - agreed about the food not being that great.
El Indio - sorry Monkeyman, can't reccomend.
Stumbled on a good Taco shop in the last few months - Bahia at the strip mall around 2000 El Cajon Blvd (next to 7-11 and Blockbusters) - get the shrimp Burrito + Guacamole.
Havn't tried Dao Son yet.
The chicken pie shop on El Cajon Blvd is terrible.
Also the Roberto's on El Cajon Blvd is not as good as the one on Broadway in Chula Vista.
Aiberto's (University Ave) - stay away.

Ran

Im sorry Mr. Reverb but if you dont care for El Indio then we just cant be friends any more.

Its been a while since Ive been there but every time I went in the past there was a line out the door....

When restaurants are crowded (especially taco shops) that is usually a good indicator.

Now lets wrassle for who is right and who is wrong :)

T

I'll solve the El Indio debate. Some items are good there, some are not very good. Often, long lines and crowds indicate hype and how famous the place has become more then consistent quality. Sometimes a place goes downhill and it takes a while for the word to get out locally, and tourists never stop coming because the place is famous. But the last time I went (over 5 yrs ago) I liked what I ordered (I can't remember what now) , but my friend didn't think hers was that great.

On 2006-01-26 16:08, thejab wrote:

... I'll solve the El Indio debate...

... best solved by heading over to el agave for over 300 (maybe more) kinds of tequila... chow is mighty fine as well...

... el indio?... problem solved...

... 'verb is right... bahia is 'kine (both veggie & asada burros)...

... but head east a tumble and you stumble into some truly good eats (at the right price)... ranchos on 30th (a ranchos market has opened next door, too)... also, there are two other ranchos, both in ob - one on sunset cliffs (by the world's best donut shop - ob donuts) and one on point loma ave at ebers (more of a market but who cares)...

...and, when in ob, try south beach for grilled shark tacos and four pitchers of beer... poma's for really good italian deli...

I've posted reviews of some of these in the "Plate Lunch Review" Thread, but here's a list of the San Diego local Plate Lunch places:

Bamboo Hut - 9172 Mira Mesa Blvd,San Diego, Ca. Phone: (858)-348-0414
Also a decent sushi place, and possibly my favorite Spam Musubi.

Da Kitchen Cafe - 9823 Carroll Canyon Road, San Diego Ca. Phone: 858-271-8268 Website: http://www.da-kitchen.com/
I haven't visited here yet. I think this is operated by the same people as Da Kitchen on Maui?

Da Kine's Plate Lunch - 4120 Mission Blvd. #208 (The Promenade), San Diego, Ca. Phone: (858) 274-8494 Website: http://www.dakines.com/
Kalua pig plate & a slice of Haupia cake, please! Also in the South Bay - 1635 Sweetwater Road (at Prospect), National City, Ca. Phone: 619-477-8494

Hawaiian Island Barbecue Pacific Plaza, 1768 Garnet Avenue. San Diego, Ca. Phone: 858-483-9830
Surfer hangout decor & a steady trickle of customers makes this a nice place to stop in for Chicken Katsu. Not the greatest, but there's no lines & service is passable.

Island Boy Grille - 10066 Pacific Heights Blvd., Sorrento Mesa San Diego, Ca. Phone: (619) 452-7708 Website: http://www.islandboygrille.com/
The second closest Plate Lunch to my work and one of my all time favorites, I've never had a bad plate here. I've got some pictures I want to post soon, including several Tikis & a Primo Beer shadowbox.

Kealani's - 137 West D Street, Encinitas, Ca. Phone: (760) 94-ALOHA
This one's on my Must Visit list: from malasadas to musubi, from a cup of saimin to kahuna-sized plates of kalua pig, with occasional luchtime Uke serenades. Also an Oceanside location (I believe Al-ii recomends this one?): 207 N. Coast Highway 101, Oceanside, Ca.
Phone: (760) 72-ALOHA

L & L BBQ - Various locations:
Sweetwater Towne & Country Center 1860-B Sweetwater Road, National City, Ca. Phone: (619) 336-6888 Fax: (619) 336-9988
Ralph's Shopping Center 4225 Oceanside Boulevard, Suite E, Oceanside, Ca. Phone: (760) 726-0888
2455 D Vista Way, Oceanside, Ca. Phone: (760) 722-8383
Campus Plaza 6083 El Cajon Boulevard, Suite 5B-1, San Diego, Ca. Phone: (619) 229-6888
Mira Mesa Mall 8280-A Mira Mesa Blvd., San Diego, Ca. Phone: (858) 693-5888
3145 Sports Arena Blvd. #102,San Diego, Ca. Phone: (619) 223-8888
That last location is Point Loma/Sports Arena, the closest to Shelter Island. The McDonald's of Mainland Plate Lunch (I mean that in a good way), L & L isn't flashy but you can be sure of getting the same good quality of food & service at each location.

Ohana Hawaiian Island BBQ - Bay Plaza 1430 E. Plaza Blvd Unit E-7A, National City, Ca. Phone: (619) 336-9889 Fax: (619) 336-9886 Website: http://www.hawaiianislandbbq.com/
If L & L is McDonalds, this chain might be Burger King, or at least Jack in the Box. Also a location in Oceanside: Mission Market Place
459-2 College Boulevard, Oceanside, Ca. Phone: 760.630.6800

Tiki Hut Island Grille and Sushi - 5131 College Avenue #F, San Diego, Ca. Phone: (619)-286-5184 Fax (619)-286-5185
I've gotten good food & fairly pathetic food here, the best thing I've been able to say about them is they're open 'til 6 PM and on weekends while Island Boy isn't. Their Sorrento Valley location is the closest Plate Lunch to my work: 9450 Scranton Rd Ste 114d
San Diego, Ca. Phone: (858) 646-0914

Yokozuna's Sushi Bar & Islander Grill - 10920 Roselle St., Ste. 107, San Diego, Ca. Phone: (858)-450-4690 Website: http://www.yokozunas.com
Although it's pretty close to my work, and I'm intrigued by the Guamanian specialties, I haven't been here yet. There's also a South Bay location: 945 Otay Lakes Rd., Ste. M, Chula Vista, Ca. Phone: (619)-482-0134

While the Indio debate is still being waged - don't forget about Ponce's in Kensington. It's on the third generation of family ownership now and the original cook Tio is still back there making the goods. It got a revamp a couple of years ago so its not as vintage as it could be but the original sign still lights up Mon. through Sat. Good stuff!

Also, those of you staying on Shelter Island and looking for one of the diviest bars in the city, check out the Club Marina on Scott street. The place was formerly a strip bar in the seventies and had to switch to just booze as the Navy moved out and Point Loma classed itself up. Retains a link from it's past with a "Semi-Live Entertainment" sign which, to the best of my understanding, means the surly drunks that grumpily hold the barstools from about 1-10PM. After 10PM you own the place. Barbara serves up a mean drink dirt, cheap and there's free pool where the stage used to be!

El Indio debate - the reputation is probably the case - the reason we ate there is because the Mrs. remembers her mom's neighbor taking her there everytime. So it is a kind of an establishment. Unfortunately, once you taste really good stuff (like Mrs. Monkeyman's cooking, for example), you can't settle for mediocre food, even if the place has a reputation :wink: At least if we're talking about Mexican restaurants. Tiki establishments, that's another story.

We stumbled across a really good taco shop on Mira Mesa Blvd in a strip mall a while ago, but that's a little too far to be valueable info for out-of-towners.

On 2006-01-27 11:26, kick_the_reverb wrote:
We stumbled across a really good taco shop on Mira Mesa Blvd in a strip mall a while ago, but that's a little too far to be valueable info for out-of-towners.

Not for those of us that live & work there! C'mon, give!

... take out of towners to k sandwich at linda vista and mesa college for banh mi...

... kids love the boba teas...

Freddie, it's kinda hard to explain, because I don't remember the name of the place or the exact address. It's on the south side of Mira Mesa blvd, I guess closer to I-15 than to I-805. It's west of the huge strip mall that has Target, Ferrel's, Black Angus. The strip mall I'm talking about has a gas station, and it's right behind it. The place is pretty new, and looks a little more like a restaurant, has some interesting metal shaped figures on the walls inside. We havn't been there in months but it was way better than: Roberto's in Chula Vista, Bahia, the Mexican restaurant at the Caliente Tropics.
Could be that it's already bad, but give it a try.
Ran

Is that giant cement Lemon still there in Lemon Grove?

While your down on India, you might want to check out Filippi's for great Italian food or The Shakespear Pub for the best fish 'n chips and British brews in the County.

... the new pizza nova (point loma) is not too shabby... order the white pizza as a calzone with spinach (and red sauce)... drink four pitchers of anchor steam while you're there... (or six pitchers if you want to)...

On 2006-01-28 19:04, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Freddie, it's kinda hard to explain, because I don't remember the name of the place or the exact address. It's on the south side of Mira Mesa blvd, I guess closer to I-15 than to I-805. It's west of the huge strip mall that has Target, Ferrel's, Black Angus. The strip mall I'm talking about has a gas station, and it's right behind it. The place is pretty new, and looks a little more like a restaurant, has some interesting metal shaped figures on the walls inside. We havn't been there in months but it was way better than: Roberto's in Chula Vista, Bahia, the Mexican restaurant at the Caliente Tropics.
Could be that it's already bad, but give it a try.
Ran

It's just West of the Post Office? I'll have to check it out.

D

Ferrel's is still around?

ah, brings back memories of the one in Fashion Valley...

I went there for every birthday when I was a kid. Order the Zoo, put on a player piano roll, serve up a 1 cent club soda and go to town.

good times

T

On 2006-02-02 12:39, Monkeyman wrote:
I went there for every birthday when I was a kid. Order the Zoo, put on a player piano roll, serve up a 1 cent club soda and go to town.

good times

Which location? I worked at the Jackson Drive Farrell's in La Mesa from 1979-81. I started as busboy, then was behind the fountain, and then waiter. Ed (Christ on a crutch) worked there as well at the same time.

M

And I'd kill to see a picture of Dean & Ed in Farrell's uniforms in 1980

M

Mission Valley not far from the Old School Hanalei

T
thejab posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 2:49 PM

On 2006-02-02 13:44, martiki wrote:
And I'd kill to see a picture of Dean & Ed in Farrell's uniforms in 1980

I bet Unga Bunga could come up with something close!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 2:50 PM

On 2006-02-02 14:42, Monkeyman wrote:
Mission Valley not far from the Old School Hanalei

I remember going there often too. That one lasted longer then most Farrells did.

M
mbonga posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 3:10 PM

Farrell's! I'd forgotten all about that place, and I'm surprised to hear it's still in business. I remember going there at least as far back as 1969, and I'm pretty sure 1967, too. The one on Jackson Drive in La Mesa is the one we frequented the most, but I once went to the one in Mission Valley (in 1973). I'd love to obtain a copy of their humorous paper menu with sauteed mosquito legs and other nonsense that they always used to have for free but that I never kept.

The following link says the only remaining one in San Diego County is in Mira Mesa:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051027/news_lz1x27icecrem.html

Excellent example of a vintage restaurant (sort of)--thanks for mentioning that one.

T
thejab posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 3:49 PM

Farrells on Jackson Dr. in La Mesa, 1971. I'm on the right, my sister (the birthday girl) is second from the left. Groovy!

M

Another existing vintage restaurant in the San Diego area came to my mind:

Gaetano's Italian
10025 Campo Rd
Spring Valley, CA 37080
619-670-3555

I remember eating there in 1967. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I haven't eaten there in decades, though, so I can't give a recent evaluation. It's an obscure little place that few people have heard of, but must be decent if it's been around that long.

P.S.--Thanks for the pic, Jab! Much appreciated. I'll post some scans of Farrell's items when I get a chance, including that humorous menu I mentioned that I only recently acquired.

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-02-20 12:39 ]

T

Yes, it's still around!

On 2006-01-29 08:34, Gigantalope wrote:
Is that giant cement Lemon still there in Lemon Grove?

I'm also a big fan of El Indio's. I've been eating there for some 20+ years. Yummy home made chips too.

Also close to that area is Old Town. A quaint little part of the city and The Old Town Mexican Cafe was a great place to eat. Wonderful home made tortillas!
2489 San Diego Ave
San Diego, CA 92110
http://www.oldtownmexcafe.com/

Also along the harbor, The Fish Market is great with wonderful bread.
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
http://www.thefishmarket.com/

Also, Anthony's Fish Grotto. A longtime San Diego icon.
1360 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101-3322
http://www.gofishanthonys.com/grottoabout.html

If you go more inland, DZ Akins along Alvarado Rd. is an excellent deli restaurant with an outstanding bakery. Portions are huge.
6930 Alvarado Road
(In Alvarado Plaza)
San Diego, California 92120
http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/

If you're in the downtown area and want an excellent dessert, don't pass up Extraordinary Desserts:
2929 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103 !
The line is usually long but it's worth it.

If you find yourself in the Point Loma area, Point Loma Seafoods is a great "fast food" style fish restaurant. Good prices and nice atmosphere. Eating along the water on a beautiful sunny day is priceless. Parking can be a problem and the establishment seems to always be busy.
2805 Emerson St.
San Diego, CA 92106
http://www.plsf.com/

and if you've never been to San Diego and tried See's Candy, you're missing out. It's mainly sold on the West Coast, but you'll find a location at most any major mall in San Diego. It's a CA tradition.
http://www.sees.com/

On 2006-02-20 17:01, tikichic wrote:
If you find yourself in the Point Loma area, Point Loma Seafoods is a great "fast food" style fish restaurant. Good prices and nice atmosphere. Eating along the water on a beautiful sunny day is priceless. Parking can be a problem and the establishment seems to always be busy.
2805 Emerson St.
San Diego, CA 92106
http://www.plsf.com/

Point Loma Seafood is also a fish market. You can buy live Spiney Lobsters, fresh shellfish, fish steaks & filets ready for grilling and do it yourself.

On 2006-02-22 10:00, freddiefreelance wrote:

...Point Loma Seafood is also a fish market. You can buy live Spiney Lobsters, fresh shellfish, fish steaks & filets ready for grilling and do it yourself...

... pl seafood is fun but pricey & touristy (rough if you're slummin' it)...

... but to get great pricing on really 'kine lobster and seafood you'll want to head to vien dong 3 in linda vista... fresh food you can roll back to the beach with and cook over open firepits found all along the sd coastline...

M

I have mixed feelings about Anthony's. Before my family went there in 1967, we heard how one person we knew got sick from the food there, but we went anyway. I had an abalone sandwich there that day, then had to threw it up when I got home. A few years later, in 1970, a lady riding with us on I-8 pointed out the Anthony's in La Mesa and said she still got a queasy stomach every time she passed that place because she got sick from their food when she ate there.

I heard that two of the three Anthony's closed, including that one in La Mesa, and given how many people got sick from their food, I'm not surprised. But to be fair, shellfish is prone to accumulating toxic organisms from seawater, and it might not really be the fault of the restaurant. Maybe things have improved since then. Also, obviously the restaurant has been around a long time, so I appreciate that fact even though I personally wouldn't risk eating their food again.

BTW, I have a vintage Anthony's menu I can scan and put online if anybody is interested.

On 2006-02-22 12:24, mbonga wrote:

...I have mixed feelings about Anthony's...

... and well you should... afg is nothing more than a red lobster... a former tribe member worked at several of the locations as busboy to manager and relayed, nightly, stories not unlike those from kitchen confidential...

D

Freddie, i love your list of restauarants!

Shipwreck: Filippe's and Shakespeare Pub love both of them, though for Irish Pub fare, The Field (544 5th Ave, San Diego, CA (619) 232-9840) is a bit of ireland transported into the Gaslamp District. damn fine Fish n Chips. a good deep dish pizza at Uno (yeah its a chain, but its good stuff)

i am the contrarian for most of Tikichic's list. most every restaurant i list is within walking distance of its more popular counterpart!

i agree with DZ Akins, although Milton's (2660 Via De La Valle, Del Mar, CA (858) 792-2225) has a few items that are better.

i've never had a good meal at Hob Nob Hill, though my parents love the place. i find it bland and boring.

a couple restaurants not mentioned are Las Quatras Milpas (1857 Logan Ave. San Diego, CA 92113) & also Porkyland (2196 Logan Ave San Diego, CA 92113-2204) not the best area of town (and mostly take-out) but great authentic mexican!

Fins (various locations) wonderful fried shrimp burritos! not Rubio's

Rancho La Lena (2367 San Diego Ave, San Diego, CA (619) 298-4514)not Old TOwn Mexican Cafe

Hudson Bay Seafood (1403 Scott St, San Diego, CA (619) 222-8787) not Point Loma Seafood

Valentine's Taco Shop(multiple locations, but the one at 1810 W Washington St, San Diego, CA (619) 542-0062)

Bread & Cie (Bread & Cie Bakery & Café. 350 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103 · 619-683-9322.) not Extraordinary Desserts

ahh.. we'll be in San Diego in a few weeks.. i am drooling for 3 rolled tacos with guacamole..

On 2006-02-22 12:24, mbonga wrote:

I heard that two of the three Anthony's closed, including that one in La Mesa, and given how many people got sick from their food, I'm not surprised. But to be fair, shellfish is prone to accumulating toxic organisms from seawater, and it might not really be the fault of the restaurant. Maybe things have improved since then. Also, obviously the restaurant has been around a long time, so I appreciate that fact even though I personally wouldn't risk eating their food again.

You might want to check your facts. I live right down the street from the La Mesa location and it's still alive and kickin'. In fact, I just ate there on Sunday. :) The La Mesa location is newly remodeled but it's still as quaint and charming as always. My family has been eating at Anthony's since the 1970's and we've never had a bad meal.

The locations on my list are all restaurants that have been my families favorites over the years and establishments that we take out of state guests to.

M

On 2006-02-23 10:12, tikichic wrote:
I live right down the street from the La Mesa location and it's still alive and kickin'. In fact, I just ate there on Sunday. :) The La Mesa location is newly remodeled but it's still as quaint and charming as always. My family has been eating at Anthony's since the 1970's and we've never had a bad meal.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear the La Mesa location is still there. I did like the look of the place, but gee, honestly I'd still be afraid to eat there, at least any seafood. (Is abalone still available in California restaurants, or did that become illegal like sheepshead?)

I just found the following info online, which I assume is accurate:

Anthony's Fish Grotto of La Mesa
Phone Number 619-463-0368
Address 9530 Murray Dr.
La Mesa, CA 91941

http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/4960

Anthony's Fish Grotto
215 West Bay Blvd
Chula Vista

http://www.newtosandiego.com/Anthony's-Fish-Grotto/

I also remember eating at this other restaurant long ago, but I don't know if it is/was any good:

Atlantis Restaurant
1880 Harbor Island Drive
San Diego, CA 92101

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-02-23 11:15 ]

M

Update: Here's that humorous Farrell's diet menu I mentioned ealier in this thread:

http://www.simnia.com/restaurants/farrells/ficpr1/Farrells_diet_menu_f_050.jpg

This copy is evidently from the northwest rather than the San Diego area. These were given away free in the La Mesa Farrell's. I remember because I remember reading a copy aloud in the car on the way home, after our church group visited there in one trip in 1969. I wonder if the remaining Farrell's in San Diego County still carries these menus?

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-02-25 05:22 ]

Pages: 1 2 75 replies