Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Royal Hawaiian's Last Hoorah (Sat., Feb. 18, 2006)

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

M

Greetings Fellow Tiki Enthusiasts,

The Royal Hawaiian Restaurant has been a prominent tiki establishment for the past 59 years. Unfortunately, its days of operation may be numbered.
Instead of letting the place go out with a thud. Let’s give it a send off it rightfully deserves… TC style of course. So dust off your fezzes and join us for one last lapu lapu.

**DATE: Saturday, February 18, 2006
TIME: 5:00pm (Cocktails) 7:00pm (Dinner) 8:00pm (Presentation/Entertainment)
LOCATION: Royal Hawaiian Restaurant (331 N Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach, CA 92651)
PHONE: 949-494-8001

PRESENTATION: Honoring the owners of the Royal Hawaiian
ENTERTAINMENT: King Kukulele & Hula la girls

DRESS: Aloha Shriners
RSVP: Contact or PM WooHooWahine
TRAVEL ACCOMMODATIONS: Contact or PM WooHooWahine**

:tiki: :drink:

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-01-31 08:37 ]

WooHooo! Get ready for some Lapu Lapu's! Since I am Soccer Tiki's Personal Secretary all RSVP's can be PM'd to me. Keep your eyes open for more details as the 18th approaches :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-01-26 16:07 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 4:02 PM

In,
Mahalo,
Al

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Lapu Lapu's on Feb.18th. Anyone not on this list is encouraged to make reservations directly with the Royal Hawaiian. We're having cocktail hour from 5-7 and dinner at 7pm, so make your dinner res. for 7pm. Everything is "No-Host" and the RH accepts cash and plastic. The tables will seat 4, 6 & 10 people. I've been told there will be one check per table.

Soccer Tiki
MT Kahuna
WooHoo Wahine
Mean Gene (No Lapu Lapu's )
Tiki Bird & Utopian Dream
Ali-ii
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Josh & Mrs.
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Hakalugi + 4
Sperm Whale & Whale Rider
Bamboo Ben & Mrs.Bamboo
PiPhiRho
Monkeyman + 3
Hanford
Humuhumu
King Kukulele + 3
Eel + 1
Skipper Trent
Miss Sookie Sookie
Rascal
Cyntiki & Goatiki
Tikisooze +1
Sabu & Tikibelle
Bongo Fury + Mrs.
TikiTikiBoom + 1
Riptide
Tikisan
Tigerlily + 1
Krustiki
Tiki Bong
Dr.Z & Pandora
Banana Bobs & Tikidiva
Nicktiki and Mrs.
Baxdog + 2
Tikipop + 2
Mach Tiki
Tikistu +1
Lava Pants + 3
Tikitatt & Mrs
Chris Nichols + 2
PloynesianPop +1

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-02 16:20 ]

P

In.

In + 3

Thanks

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2006-01-26 20:21 ]

The Whale Rider and I are In!!!

Mrs. Bamboo and I will be there with bells on!

Ding Dong!!

Maybe a bus??

Naaa.. Hotel mush bettah!

Homer Simpson says, " Mmmmmmmmmmm. Laaapu Laaapu !!!

H

We're hoping to make it! It's on our schedule, but it's too soon to know what our work schedule will look like that week. Hopefully, we'll see you all there. Thanks to all who are working to organize this.

We are up to 33 rsvp's already!!!! The banquet room holds fifty (50) but there are two small areas adjoining it to accomodate another 15-20

C

Cyntiki, Goatiki, Tikisooze + 1

That sounds like four, si?

Sabu and Tikibelle, In.

Me and the Mrs. are 98% in.

I'm in! Never been and it sounds wonderful!

R

This is gonna be great fun. Thanks for putting this together MTK, WHW, & ST.

Let's hope this becomes a yearly tradition, kinda like the many Rolling Stones Farewell Tours.

[ Edited by: Riptide 2006-01-28 11:08 ]

I'll be out of town, but Krustiki will try to make it.

Announcement: The management of the Royal Hawaiian has graciously given us the full dining room for our event! The seating is about 80, so let us know asap if you're in! Rumor is there may be a limited edition tiki mug celebrating the event...More details when they are available.

DZ

Doctor Z & Pandora - IN!!

Bananabobs and TiKidiva will be there with bells on... ah...never mind, TiKidiva sez we will be there wearing aloha...

N

Nicktiki and his Mrs. are in.

Seating in the main dinning room is limited to 80, as of today we have 16 spots left. RSVP ASAP so you can join us :) ~ WooHoo

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Lapu Lapu's on Feb.18th. Anyone not on this list is encouraged to make reservations directly with the Royal Hawaiian. We're having cocktail hour from 5-7 and dinner at 7pm, so make your dinner res. for 7pm. Everything is "No-Host" and the RH accepts cash and plastic. The tables will seat 4, 6 & 10 people.

Soccer Tiki
MT Kahuna
WooHoo Wahine
Mean Gene (No Lapu Lapu's :) )
Ali-ii
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Josh & Mrs.
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Hakalugi + 4
Bamboo Ben & Mrs.Bamboo
PiPhiRho
Monkeyman + 3
Hanford
Humuhumu
King Kukulele + 3
Eel + 1
Skipper Trent
Miss Sookie Sookie
Rascal
Cyntiki & Goatiki
Tikisooze +1
Sabu & Tikibelle
Bongo Fury + Mrs.
TikiTikiBoom + 1
Riptide
Tikisan
Tigerlily + 1
Krustiki
Tiki Bong
Dr.Z & Pandora
Banana Bobs & Tikidiva
Nicktiki and Mrs.
Baxdog + 2
Tikipop + 2
Mach Tiki
Tikistu +1
Lava Pants + 3
Tikitatt & Mrs
Chris Nichols + 2
PloynesianPop +1

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2006-02-02 16:15 ]

M

Where can I get a Shriner hat (fez)?

T

Several places:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/leopard_fez.html
429A Shoreline Village Drive
Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 624-1141

http://www.mcphee.com/items/10667.html

On 2006-01-31 08:34, MTKahuna wrote:
Where can I get a Shriner hat (fez)?

WoooHooooo! Are you ready for some Lapu Lapu's????

Wow!!!! 70 people have responded to go to the "Last Hurrah" at the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach on Feb 18th......Cocktail hour 5-7pm then dinner & show & revelry from 7-???

Thanks to King Kukulele for letting us mention the event and show some pictures of the Royal Hawaiian at Tiki Taix last Friday night!

We have the whole dining room at our disposal. It holds 80, so there is a little room left. After that people will have to take their chance on getting reservations on the very few seats left in the place!

We will have a commemorative tiki mug for the event! They will be available at the party.

I can taste the Lapu Lapus already!!!!!

We might have a pre-party at the Bamboo Bar located at the Holiday Inn just down the road from the RH.

M

MachTiki & Tiki Stu are in!!!

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2006-02-18 11:21 ]

T

My wife and I would love to attend. Please count us in.....

Tikitatt (John)
[email protected]

WoooHoooo! Countdown to The Last Hoorah Night at The Royal Hawaiian. Only 16 more days...... There are only four seats left in the main dinning room. RSVP ASAP if you plan on attending!!! :)

The Dining Room Reserved for TC at The Royal Hawaiian is FULL!! If you are planning to go to the Royal Hawaiian for The Last Hoorah please call the restaurant and make a reservation so you can get a table. :) 80+ TCers + Lapu Lapu's = WOOOHOOOOO!!! :)

Please see WooHoo's post on the first page....We have a full dining room now!!! 80+!!!...So if you are planning on going to the Royal Hawaiian on Feb. 18th and are not on the list, PLEASE call directly and make reservations soon! I spoke with the owners today and they will accommodate as many additional people as possible in the other dining areas. They are also going to open a dining area behind the bar for the "Overflow" of cocktail patrons!
This should be a fun evening for one and all!!! Lapu Lapus, King Kukulele, Hula Girls, BBQ Ribs, WikiWiki Steak, Young Chicken, Fish, The T.C. Community ALL AT THE ROYAL HAWAIIAN "LAST HURRAH" for 1 night!
Oh yeah....And a commemorative tiki mug for purchase at the event only.

MG

Here I am!.....

I always enjoy a nice young chicken...

On 2006-02-02 18:10, MEAN GENE wrote:
Here I am!.....

I always enjoy a nice young chicken...

WooHoo!!! The Lapu Lapu Police are going to keep their eyes on You Gene!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-03 20:37 ]

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Lapu Lapu's on Feb.18th. Anyone not on this list is encouraged to make reservations directly with the Royal Hawaiian. We're having cocktail hour from 5-7 and dinner at 7pm, so make your dinner res. for 7pm. Everything is "No-Host" and the RH accepts cash and plastic. The tables will seat 4, 6 & 10 people. I've been told there will be one check per table.

Soccer Tiki
MT Kahuna
WooHoo Wahine
Mean Gene (No Lapu Lapu's )
Ali-ii
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Josh & Mrs. + 1
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Hakalugi + 4
PiPhiRho
Monkeyman + 3
King Kukulele + 3
Eel + 1
Skipper Trent
Miss Sookie Sookie
Rascal
Cyntiki & Goatiki
Tikisooze +1
Sabu & Tikibelle
Bongo Fury + Mrs.
TikiTikiBoom + 1
Riptide
Tikisan
Tigerlily + 1
Krustiki
Tiki Bong
Dr.Z & Pandora
Banana Bobs & Tikidiva
Nicktiki and Mrs.
Baxdog + 2
Mach Tiki
Tikistu +1
Lava Pants + 3
Tikitatt & Mrs
Chris Nichols + 2
PloynesianPop +1
Johnnie & Lady Velour
Tikimania +1

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-13 17:08 ]

Friday night (2/17) before the "Last Hurrah" at the Royal Hawaiian we will be having a TGIF at the Bamboo Bar at the Holiday Inn 1/2 mile south on PCH from the Royal Hawaiian. The place is pretty cool! They will be having a DJ playing dance music and there are two pool tables for all you sharks! The bar was decorated by none other than the Notorious Bamboo Ben!!!! It's worth a trip out to check out his handy-work!!! They have a great menu and the bar's fully stocked! There are rooms available still (contact WooHooWahine if you need to make a reservation) and they are not that expensive! We will be celebrating WooHooWahine's birthday (29 again!?!) that Friday, so if you can make it, great!

The Bamboo Bar is located at 696 South Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna Beach :)

On 2006-02-05 20:02, SoccerTiki wrote:
Friday night (2/17) before the "Last Hurrah" at the Royal Hawaiian we will be having a TGIF at the Bamboo Bar at the Holiday Inn 1/2 mile south on PCH from the Royal Hawaiian.

What time?

I Pass by there alot durring work also. I stopped at the Taco Hell across the street to feed my face and decided to take 5 minutes to
walk across the street to take a look. Kinda on the sparse side, but pretty nice. I don't know if I'd want to be there with Dance Music
playing though. Preferably Exotica/Hawiian/surf/garage Like DJ Lee
plays at the Lucky Tiki in the Valley.
Have a good B-day party, I'm gonna be down in San Diego that night
for a fundraiser surf show.
But I'm definetly in for the RH party the next night.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Friday night (2/17) before the "Last Hurrah" at the Royal Hawaiian we will be having a TGIF at the Bamboo Bar at the Holiday Inn 1/2 mile south on PCH from the Royal Hawaiian. The place is pretty cool! They will be having a DJ playing dance music and there are two pool tables for all you sharks! The bar was decorated by none other than the Notorious Bamboo Ben!!!! It's worth a trip out to check out his handy-work!!! They have a great menu and the bar's fully stocked! There are rooms available still (contact WooHooWahine if you need to make a reservation) and they are not that expensive! We will be celebrating WooHooWahine's birthday (29 again!?!) that Friday, so if you can make it, great!

On 2006-02-06 10:09, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Friday night (2/17) before the "Last Hurrah" at the Royal Hawaiian we will be having a TGIF at the Bamboo Bar at the Holiday Inn 1/2 mile south on PCH from the Royal Hawaiian.

What time?

7pm til ????

Damn...I don't think I can even remotely make it to the big event, but I think I may have to change my Valentines plans from Bahooka to here...I may have to bust out my fez for the evening anyways.

Why? First Movieland, now this. :(

H

Work is taking us to Los Angeles this week, which means we won't be able to swing being in town next week. :( We're hoping to squeeze in a visit to the Royal Hawaiian while we're in town. We're disappointed we'll be missing all our friends -- I'm sure it's going to be a great party!

While we're on the " We're not going to make it" subject, I highly doubt it if Mrs. Boo and I can pull it off either. So sorry. Blame it on the U.S. Customs, and how they treat Bamboo. Long story. I'll be at the Kon Tiki in Tucson, re-vamping for their April 22nd Party of the Century!!.

I have some pics to show of tonight's Cruz with Doug Miller aka Club Mallard/ Kona Club, Crazy Al, my self, and ... of course the awesome Mrs. Bamboo. But, must go Nite Nite now. Will add pics in AM.

Arrrrr!!!

Royal Hawaiian wit da boys! Adios Muchachos! If dat be.

Bamboo Bar and Grill wit da boys! Vic, off to the left, is the proprietor. His fish tacos Rock!!!

Al. Being CRAZY!

Full on Fish Tacos!!!

Hope you all have a Fantastical Time on the 18th!!!!

Happy b-day Woooooo Hoooooooo!!! Tear it up at the Bamboo Bar and Grill.

Viva La Kon Tiki!!

Royal Hawaiian will be missed if they decide to level the lot.

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2006-02-08 20:29 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-02-08 20:31 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-02-08 20:33 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-02-08 20:36 ]

bimp! ( peter sellers!!)

I wish I could be there for the lapu lapus, but travel plans get in the way. I'll be sure to have a lapu lapu at the Royal Hawaiian hotel in Waikiki on the 18th... its as close as I can get to the hoity toity event!

On 2006-02-08 01:25, RevBambooBen wrote:

... that young blonde girl looks familiar... was she on a tv show...

WoooHooo! Countdown......... 8 More Days!!!! I can taste those Lapu Lapu's already :)

H

We made it to the Royal Hawaiian on Thursday night, and it was deserted -- we had the place to ourselves, and I was able to get lots of pictures. I've posted them in the Royal Hawaiian's Locating Tiki thread.

I chatted a bit with the waitstaff, and they confirmed that they still know nothing about the future of the place -- whether the new owner intends to bulldoze it, change it into another restaurant, or keep it going how it is. The latest tentative closing date is June 11 (the dates on the real estate deal keep getting pushed back), and they're taking reservations as late as June 11, with the future beyond that being a big question mark. That means there's a lot more time for folks to make it to the Royal Hawaiian before they close!

WooHooo! 7 more days. Rest Up!!! :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies