Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Royal Hawaiian's Last Hoorah (Sat., Feb. 18, 2006)

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

Tiki Pop and his guests just had to cancel. We have 3 seats open. If you are not on the list and would like to attend please RSVP ASAP!!! First come first served :) ~ WooHoo

On 2006-02-11 19:32, Humuhumu wrote:
We made it to the Royal Hawaiian on Thursday night, and it was deserted -- we had the place to ourselves, and I was able to get lots of pictures. I've posted them in the Royal Hawaiian's Locating Tiki thread.

I chatted a bit with the waitstaff, and they confirmed that they still know nothing about the future of the place -- whether the new owner intends to bulldoze it, change it into another restaurant, or keep it going how it is..........

Lots of great pictures Humuhumu!!!!!! You've gotta see the place to really appreciate it! The management said they will open the dining area behind the bar to accomodate the "additional" happy hour attendees!!! Should be a blast this Saturday night!

There are now only 2 more seats left. RSVP ASAP if you want these seats!!!

All seats are full :) If you would still like to go to Th Royal Hawaiian call to make a reservation :)

Here is the Official Guest list for 2/18:

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Lapu Lapu's on Feb.18th. Anyone not on this list is encouraged to make reservations directly with the Royal Hawaiian. We're having cocktail hour from 5-7 and dinner at 7pm, so make your dinner res. for 7pm. Everything is "No-Host" and the RH accepts cash and plastic. The tables will seat 4, 6 & 10 people. I've been told there will be one check per table.

Soccer Tiki
MT Kahuna
WooHoo Wahine
Mean Gene (No Lapu Lapu's )
Tiki Bird & Utopian Dream
Ali-ii
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Josh & Mrs. + 1
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Hakalugi + 4
Sperm Whale & Whale Rider
PiPhiRho
Monkeyman + 3
King Kukulele + 3
Eel + 1
Skipper Trent
Miss Sookie Sookie
Rascal
Cyntiki & Goatiki
Tikisooze +1
Sabu & Tikibelle
Bongo Fury + Mrs.
TikiTikiBoom + 1
Riptide
Tikisan
Tigerlily + 1
Krustiki
Tiki Bong
Dr.Z & Pandora
Nicktiki and Mrs.
Baxdog + 2
Mach Tiki
Tikistu +1
Lava Pants + 3
Tikitatt & Mrs +2
Chris Nichols + 2
PolynesianPop +1
Johnnie & Lady Velour
Tikimania +1
Jonpaul

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2006-02-14 12:41 ]

Things happen. A good friend's Mom passed away this morning and the funeral is Saturday afternoon, ending too late for the trek to Newport Beach. So Two seats just opened up. I would love to still get one of the mugs if possible...
What can ya say.

Sorry you can't make it Bababobs :( . There are now 2 more seats open. If you want to go and weren't on the list RSVP ASAP!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-13 21:48 ]

H

Did someone already tell me that the Royal Hawaiian is not open on Mondays????Ayyyyyyy.... I went all the way down there today and it was closed....But fortunately Sam's Seafood was open and the crab legs were just great. :drink:

WOOOOHOOOOO! 4 more days!!!!

WOOOHOOOO! Tres mas dias!!

WoooHoooo! 2 More Days! Have you dusted off your fezzes yet?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOOHOOWAHINE!!!!! TODAY YOU ARE WHAT? 29 AGAIN??????

T

On 2006-02-02 16:37, SoccerTiki wrote:
....And a commemorative tiki mug for purchase at the event only.

Is there any info on the mug, such as what it looks like and the price? Mahalo!

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2006-02-17 10:53 ]

Are there still 2 reservations available? We'll take them.

Carol & Phil Falcon
tiki-madness

We've been eating at the RH almost every night since we heard it may close. I think I gained 5 pounds last week!
I made a reservation for me and the Mr at the restaurant, but forgot to include us here. She put us down in the TC group, but said the dining room was already full. I looked at the res sheet and told her not to worry, cuz it looks as if the entire place will be crawling w/ TCers. Just try to sit next to a non TCer that night. Aint gonna happen. Normal folk will be mighty disappointed if they think they can just stroll in and wait 30 minutes!
Can't wait!

Rumor has it....The Limited Edition, Royal Hawaiian Last Hurrah Mugs have arrived. Keep your eyes open for more details :) ~ WooHoo

Ok....The mugs came in!!! They turned out great! The logo is very cool! We will have some available Friday night at the Bamboo Bar and the rest Saturday night at the Royal Hawaiian. They are $10 ea. If you are out of town PM me for information on how to purchase one.

For all you disney fans.....(and tikicentral)...look for the hidden "tc"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-02-16 22:39 ]

I'm glad it's blue!! I have too many greenish mugs.
Wouldn't it be great if they didn't really close and this mug became a valuable piece of mistaken info? Like "Dewy Wins!" Of course, keeping the RH as is would be the BEST! I have been wearing my black RH T-shirt (not the white one) as I am in mourning. I'll probably wear it tomorrow night. With a black veil. Boo-hoo!!

Hurry...the ice is melting!!

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2006-02-17 08:18 ]

Regretfully, as of this morning, I will not be able to attend tomorrows festivities :( Please open up two spots for any other last minute attendees.

WooHoo, I sent you a pm.

Here is the Official Guest list for 2/18:

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Lapu Lapu's on Feb.18th. Anyone not on this list is encouraged to make reservations directly with the Royal Hawaiian. We're having cocktail hour from 5-7 and dinner at 7pm, so make your dinner res. for 7pm. Everything is "No-Host" and the RH accepts cash and plastic. The tables will seat 4, 6 & 10 people. I've been told there will be one check per table.

Soccer Tiki
MT Kahuna
WooHoo Wahine
Mean Gene (No Lapu Lapu's )
Tiki Bird & Utopian Dream
Ali-ii
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Josh & Mrs. + 1
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Hakalugi + 4
Sperm Whale & Whale Rider
PiPhiRho
Monkeyman + 3
King Kukulele + 3
Eel + 1
Skipper Trent
Miss Sookie Sookie
Rascal
Cyntiki & Goatiki
Tikisooze +1
Sabu & Tikibelle
Bongo Fury + Mrs.
Riptide
Tikisan
Tigerlily + 1
Krustiki
Tiki Bong
Dr.Z & Pandora
Nicktiki and Mrs.
Baxdog + 2
Mach Tiki
Tikistu +1
Lava Pants + 3
Tikitatt & Mrs +2
Chris Nichols + 2
PolynesianPop +1
Johnnie & Lady Velour
Tikimania +1
Jonpaul

Ok! The response is a bit overwhelming! I had NO IDEA so many people would respond in kind to the mugs!!! (Next time I'll let Tiki Farm (Holden) handle the mug thing!!! A few broke in delivery, but there are enough for the confirmed and some additional. Again, I am happy the way they turned out! If you are not attending the event (or going to be at the Bamboo Bar tonight) please pm me today if you would like a mug. Everyone should have one!
This is going to be a great weekend!
SoccerTiki

I did attend on Valentines Day...the waitress said they would be closing in June, but could be later depending on escrow closing. I can't make it to your event, but have a good time you all, and drink one for me if you think about it.

H

Last minute update, two more seats are available.

Woohoo, my listing can be changed to Hakalugi +2

Thanks.

Important.....The list a few posts above is FULL. Everyone is more than welcome to show up, but SoccerTiki tells me that we are @82 and there are only 80 seats reserved in the main dining room for us. The list was made yesterday, so there are no adds.....Sorry....By the way, the mugs look great!

It was fun. Thanks

Monkeyman Jr. was our resident 2 headed dragon tamer. His charge was to keep the event safe from attack.

Here he explains the intracacies of 2 headed dragon mind control to King Kukulele

The Velours and MT Kahuna hanging'

We decided to break out the life sized cardboard cut out of Bong to simulate his attendance.

Sensing an appropriate moment to hold up a lighter, Sabu holds up the next best thing.

Al-ii was a wonderful co-MC. Nice introductions and eloquent words.

The king pays homage to the winter olympics with his own rendition of the alpine ski jump

KuKu does it up Elvis style- Must we go on together... with suspicious minds.

All I can say is WOW!!! Last night was so much FUN :) Everytime I get together with the TC Ohana I have a blast!!! Here are a buttload of photo's!!!!

Thanks Everybody for the great time!!!! I can't wait for Oasis!!!!!______________
EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-02-22 09:37 ]

Great pics Monkeyman and Spermy!!!!! That sure was a lot of fun and it looked like everyone had a blast! Thanks to all for showing, partying and enjoying the R.H., the entertainment and each other! I know Marilyn and Junior will never forget the spirit of Aloha all the TC'ers gave them last night!!!!

Mucho Mahalos to all!!! (I still have a few mugs left if anyone's interested.)

TM

Looks like a great time! I wish I had gone!

great picture of Tiki Bong and Laney!

Thanks again to King Kukulele...I just finished watching the video I took of the show. What an event!!! Even though my videoing skills suck, the King's professionlism shines brightly! I got everyone in attendance somewhere in the video (at least once!) I put it to DVD if anyone's interested. Still got a few mugs left too!

King Kukulele asked me to ask everyone that if you took pictures of the event and in particular the talent could you please email the pics to him. I would also like any pics of our Hula Girl and Junior and Marilyn so I can put something together for them. Mahalo, Thanks & Gracias!

I had a blast...
But when did the lights go out???
Last memories:

1. saying "hello"
  2. 2 rum & cokes
  3. blah blah blah
  4. 3 rum & cokes
  5. soup & salad
  6. 3 rum & cokes
  7. Cigs w/Mach & Spermy
  8. 2 rum & cokes
  9. Dinner
  10. 2 rum and cokes
  11. hooten and an hollering
  12. 2 rum & cokes
  13. grabbing girls/ licking faces/ falling down
    14)??rum&^%^$coke^$^%%*%$##^%
  14. waking up with a "Got Ho's" baseball cap on
  15. Good Times!!!!!

1 Lapu Lapu :) 2 Lapu Lapu's :wink: 3 Lapu Lapu's :(..... Car!! Crazy Al ~ I was glad that someone could enjoy my dinner.

KK

Aloha TC Ohana!
Well, Im new here on TC (signed up in december) and Ive spent most of my time here on TC in the creating tiki threads...Funny thing is, The wife and I just happen to hit the Royal Hawaiian on saturday night for dinner. Well, with the wait being a bit longer than normal I knew something was up in the main dining room (birthday party or something...) So, we sat in the small room next to the bar to kaukau and could hear the music and such but it wasnt until we went to leave (after some ono kine grinds and a few lapu's!)that I realized it was a Tiki Central shindig...Some bruddah approached me at the front counter and offered to sell me a "last hurrah" mug...He tried to explain who he was and who all the people were enjoying the night but it was loud and crowded and I missed most of what he was saying...But! I did buy the mug and Im stoked I was at least there for a bit of the "last Hurrah"...Ive been going to the RH since my parents divorced and we came over from Hawaii (since I was a keiki) and Im so depressed and sad it might not last past june...Being a former Lagtown local makes it tough too...Laguna beach is changing dramatically and it seems the more BMW's, Lexus and mercedes that cruise PCH, the more the "old" laguna is dying...

Anyway, since saturday night Ive been keeping up on this thread and I wont miss the next bash thrown by the TC ohana fo'shua! Wish I could have met you all that night and joined in on the fun!

And Big Mahaloz to the bruddah who sold me the mug! The RH holds a special place in my heart and I feel lucky to be a part of that night (even if I was on the fringe!)

Malama Pono!!!

On 2006-02-20 11:51, MTKahuna wrote:

1. Cigs w/Mach & Spermy

Don't you mean cigs FROM Mach with Spermy?

Kaha Ki'i-Great story!!! I am responsible for pushin the mug on you...Hope it brings you many memories over the years!!! Look forward to seeing you at upcoming events!
Mahalo!

M

On 2006-02-21 13:01, purple jade wrote:

On 2006-02-20 11:51, MTKahuna wrote:

1. Cigs w/Mach & Spermy

Don't you mean cigs FROM Mach with Spermy?

Oooopppssss.... I forgot to give recognition to my supplier.
Mach... Your more than just a smoking buddy... your also a friend. A friend with cigs.

Jade (stop instigating) :roll:

Be careful... the tikies are watching

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-02-21 18:52 ]

Fun with captions:

"Ma! He's touching me! He's touching me! Make him stop touching me!"

Actually I was giving him the vulcan death grip.

It is useless to resist us....

Good times indeed!!!
I had 1 lapu lapu, and 2 Zombies( not perfect, but not bad), and My sister made me try a Capt Morgan and Ginger ale( weird, but ok).
Needless top say I was feelinf fine, and made sure I stayed all the way till the end, before I left to sober up a bit before driving.
Only downside I can think of was the waitress overcharging our table, and after my Sister and Mom questioned her, did she take off the extra 44 $ charge that she couldn't explain. Kinda weird, but all was settled in the end.

What was with all the hip hop music in the Bar, towards the end of the night.
That was just a bit annoying to say the least.

Other than that, it was quite a great night, hangin' with everybody, and watchin' King and Al, and others do the Entertainment. Best part was when they got the Lady( forgot her name/the sister) to come up and hula.

Till next time,
"Rapa Nui, man!!"
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I won't let this thread fade away!!! Woohoowahine and I went back to the Royal Hawaiian last weekend and ran into other TCers that also attended the Last Hurrah. Jr and the bartender graciously welcomed us and told us the Last Hurrah event was the best thing ever at the Royal Hawaiian!!!! How cool! I hope they never close! Keep supporting them with your business they really like the T.C. crowd!!!

should we plan another event, maybe a bit more low key and not quite 80 people?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Come on over! We've been there every weekend since!! It's always a party when 2 or more TCers show!! We're even bringing non tiki folk (newbies, hopefully!) this Friday. Trying to brain wash em...Figured the Lapu Lapus oughta help!
See ya there!!

Happy St. Patty's Day!!! I wonder if the Royal Hawaiian will be addin' a touch o' the green to the Lapu Lapus this evenin'??? I'll call Marilyn and JR and suggest it!
(The green food coloring doesn't seem to change the flavor!!! But then I've only made one so far this morning! hiccup!)

Pea green in Pee green out...

Royal Hawaiian....RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very sad day.... Sunday afternoon WooHooWahine and I took Tiki Tina and Bamboo
Boyd to the Royal Hawaiian for lapus.......The dining room has been gutted and ALL the artifacts have been removed! They are still using the left side of the restaurant to seat diners and the bar is still open. The whole right side of the restaurant will be the new bar in a Yard House/BJ's Pizzeria style with a chef from Chili's fixin tacky bar food. When the new bar is complete they will tear out the old bar and make it the new bathrooms.........

Very sad walking through there..... Kinda like an open casket funeral......

I understand that Marilyn and Junior were able to take all the art/wall hangings/light fixtures/tikis/fountains, so at least they didn't meet the fate of a dumpster!!!

I am sooo glad we had a great party there! And it's all on video! Saved for posterity!

(sorry for the repeat from the other Royal Hawaiian thread!)

Recognize this place?

God damn it.

This is just sooo sad :(.

Soooooo, Soccer, where'd the tiki's go?

M

One i never made it to....
any good outside or inside photos of the old place?

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies