Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Kon Tiki for Spring Time Fun In The AZ Sun April 22nd; Along with Smugglers Inn Recapture 21-23rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

TMF

I just talked to Louie at the Kon Tiki and they are planning a blow out party in late April. They are working with Holden from Tiki Farm on this, so this should be great. Will post more info as I get it.

[ Edited by: Tiki Mo Fo 2006-03-02 19:23 ]

T

Yes! I'm there for sure! I know that Bamboo Ben is there right now working some of his magic on the interior decor.

On 2006-02-09 14:44, TikiMike wrote:
Yes! I'm there for sure! I know that Bamboo Ben is there right now working some of his magic on the interior decor.

Aloha Arizona!

I'll be there all of next week. Can't wait to see the place and help Louie with a few odds and ends. I might also be back the first of April to do more. ( but I'm not touching that lizard!!) See you'z soon.

Viva la Kon Tiki!!

( April 22nd?)

L

Just let me know the time and I will be there sucking down the scorpions!!!

WooHooo! Perfect place to spend Spring Break!!!

Let us know the date! We have to make arrangements long in advance to take time from work.

Please tell me its on 4/21-4/23!

TBird.

TMF

I talked to Louie and he hinted that it will be that weekend of 22nd Apr. Be watching for some info coming from the FARM...........

April 22nd!

Arrrrrrrrrr!!!

Good Times!!!!!

TB

On 2006-02-16 11:02, Tiki Mo Fo wrote:
I talked to Louie and he hinted that it will be that weekend of 22nd Apr. Be watching for some info coming from the FARM...........

Utopiandreem & I will definitely be there!

TBird.

TMF

I will be dropping by on Friday to put the hot light on Louie and pump him for info and of course put back some Lunch Boxes!!!!!!!! Stay tuned............

Phase 1 of the Spruce Up at the ole' Kon Tiki in Tucson...

Old Bar...

New Bar.....

Lot's O Crazy angels on their bar. Have a few more coming soon.

Arrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2006-02-23 18:01 ]

Lookin' good. More pics when you get the chance, please!
KG

mmmmm, eye candy.

Ben has done a fantastic job in Kon Tiki.

I gotta say I was a bit nervous when Louie (The superb Kon Tiki Manager) first mentioned that he was going to 'have some work done' on our beloved bar. Years of beautiful smoke-stained, tapa covered walls removed and replaced with some new garish cheap characterless something-or-other? The apparent fire hazard of a ceiling to be replaced by some sort of new-fangled, up-to-code, modern day, high-tech roofing material? Neon beer signs on the walls? Nooooo!!!!!!

Oh Me Of Little Faith.

What Louie didn't mention at first was that he was going to get Bamboo Ben to do the work. Apart from building a completely new bar and hostess station, Ben has delicately restored the areas that needed it most while not making it immediately obvious. His work blends in with the original decor perfectly.

A true craftsman, and lovely bloke as well.

Thank you Ben.

Mr & Mrs. Cheeky Half
http://www.velvetglass.com

S

What an upgrade! When I saw the before picture, I thought, "that bar needs an overhang!" And BEn gave it one! You gotta be able to lean your elbows on the bar! And it looks fantastic too.

The new bar is impressive, keep up the good work!!!!

WoooHooooo! Another Masterpiece by The Notorious Bamboo Ben.

KON TIKI HERE WE COME!!!! Ok, WooHooWahine and I have done some "research" for those interested in going to the Grand Re-Opening on April 22nd.....
The Smuggler's Inn is very close by and looks to be the best value for your money!
The rates are $59 per night or $70 for a suite!!! We arrrrrrrr going out there on Tuesday (4/18) thru Sunday (4/23). Check out the place!!! Cool Pool, bar, etc. Go to: http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com (or PM woohoowahine) and look at the place for yourselves! I think it's be a great place to hang out for a few days and get working on the tan (before Tiki Oasis!) You can also get a round trip airfare for between $149 and $185 (from LAX or LGB.) Anyway, I am just trying to make it easy and affordable for those who want to be there for the event!!! (At http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com you can make both your room and air reservations!)
SoccerTiki

Update: I just spoke with the manager of The Smugglers Inn. There are plenty of rooms available for the weekend of April 21-23. Also included with the room rate is a Full Cooked Breakfast Daily and a Cocktail Reception Every Night. If you are interested in staying at The Smugglers Inn please PM me for more information. ~ WooHooWahine

On 2006-02-22 13:18, Tiki Bird wrote:

On 2006-02-16 11:02, Tiki Mo Fo wrote:

Utopiandreem & I will definitely be there!

TBird.

... it's on!
Holden

Just be a good person and live your life graciously. Oh and by the way... Tiki rules!

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2006-02-24 22:08 ]

I stayed at Smuggler's Inn last year for the Kon Tiki experience. It has a wonderful tropical, midcentury feel. All rooms open onto, or have a balcony overlooking, a wonderful lanai. Not too far away, either.

I really enjoyed the Smuggler's Inn when I stayed there last year, too. As christiki mentioned, it has a midcentury feel in some spots, but more along the lines of "uncool" midcentury; it's not where your grandmother who had a closet full of cocktail dresses hung out, it's where your other grandma who wore sensible shoes stayed. That just made it more interesting and unusual to me.

Man, I'd love to spend another evening at the Kon-Tiki, but I don't want to risk being out of town when Forbidden Island hits. We'll aim to hook up with the very fun Tucson tiki set another time. Have a great time, guys, I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!

On 2006-02-24 22:44, christiki295 wrote:
I stayed at Smuggler's Inn last year for the Kon Tiki experience. It has a wonderful tropical, midcentury feel. All rooms open onto, or have a balcony overlooking, a wonderful lanai. Not too far away, either.

Wow! Between Christiki295 and Humuhumu's description I'm glad we chose the Smugglers Inn! Woohoowahine (Karen) has spoke to the management and we can get a group of rooms. PM her and she'll be more than happy to book them for everyone! Suites for $70!!!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-02-25 12:11 ]

P

right on!

two weekends in a row.

viva las vegas
kon tiki

what a great excuse to visit my dad in tuscon.

N
Netty posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2006 2:48 PM

Wow, this sounds like fun. Just the warm up we need to prepare for Tiki Oasis! I am going to try to get this booked this week. We live in Las Vegas, so we can just drive on over.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I have a Block of Rooms Reserved at The Smugglers Inn for the weekend of April 21-23 for all TC'ers who will be going out to Tuscon to attend The Kon Tiki Party . If you are interested PM me for more details.

Bamboo Ben or Holden....will there be Tiki Farm mugs for sale at the Kon Tiki when we get there April 18th-23rd??? Don't forget to PM Woohoowahine if you want to stay at the Smugglers Inn....Well, you can stay there without pming her, but she has talked to the management and they have put aside some rooms for us..They asked her to contact them directly to make the reservations....Maybe a little discount, I don't know, but its always good to flip a little business to the TC ohana, right?

[

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-27 13:53 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-27 16:36 ]

TMF

Well, I am sorry that it has taken so long for me to post this. But yes I talked to Louie, and yes I even talked to Holden......... Well, this event is sounding larger and better than a scorpion for two. We are talking new items from the farm, tiki tunes, and amazing drinks..... So, get there..... Oh yea it is the 22nd.... And yes there will be some blasting from the Farm to give us even more details.

TMF

I wanted to take a second to Thank the Louie and the staff for my visit to the Kon Tiki last Friday. My trip to the Kon Tiki was an event in it's self. We celebrated an engagement and even with our large group the staff made it's beyond usual effort to make us all feel welcome. We could have gone to just about any place, but my friends (engagement) had heard stories of events at the Kon Tiki back in WI and wanted to experience things that they have never seen nor tasted. Louie made a strong impression that will not be forgotten, even after all of the scorpion bowls, and I was reminded of all of the history I and all of those who have entered before and after me has made in Tucson's living history. I only hope that the Kon Tiki will continue making special times even more special for another 40 years. Thanks again everyone. -Tiki Mo Fo (Jay)

Here is a list of activities/attractions that people might want to check out if they are coming to Tucson. It is by no means extensive, just a taste of the Old Pueblo. I sent this list to WooHoo Wahine and then I realized that other people may find it helpful.

First off, if you are staying at the Smuggler's Inn you will be within walking distance of this. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1325&forum=1&hilite=magic%20carpet%20golf

We also have the Tiki Motel, but the building isn't much to look at. It's really all about the sign.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2397&forum=1&hilite=magic%20carpet%20golf

Bisbee is a small town about a 1.5 hour drive from Tucson. It's a cool old mining town built into the side of a mountain/hill. There you will find the Shady Dell and it's tiki bus. Highly recommended.
http://www.theshadydell.com/

Now, back to Tucson. We have a nice old drive-in movie theatre, the De Anza.
http://www.drive-ins.com/detail.php?code=azdean

A cool and quirky off-the-beaten path touristy thing is the Titan Missile Museum.
http://www.atomictourist.com/titan.htm

There is also the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
http://www.nps.gov/orpi/

Last, but not least we enjoy a little dive/JFK/retro bar called The Shelter.
http://www.tucsonunderground.com/places/shelter/index.html

cheeky half

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-03-03 12:02 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-27 13:54 ]

WoooooHoooooo! A Weekend of Fun in The Sun at The Smuggler's Inn, The Craftsmanship of The Notorious Bamboo Ben, Limited Edition Tiki Mugs and Scorpion Bowls by Tiki Farm, The Smokin Menehunes, Official Event Posters by Doug Horne, and a Night with Wild Native TCers at The Kon Tiki. How could you miss this event??
WooHooWahine
http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-04 09:40 ]

T

Aloha! Count us in y'all! Can't wait to see/meet everyone! Bamboo Boyd (no relation, other than tiki ohana,of course to the Rev. Bamboo Ben) and I are really looking forward to it!

Also, if anyone is up for an outstanding Mexican food experience....you gotta try Mi Nidito...not tiki, but a-mazing, just the same.

Sakura,which is close to Smugglers,is good for sushi, too!

Time for a drinki drinki wiki wiki :drink: :tiki: :drink:

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-03-04 16:51 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-27 16:39 ]

Check out this website http://www.kontiki-tucson.com

We (WoohooWahine and I) will actually be there from Tuesday (4/18)through Sunday early am....So anyone coming out earlier in the week....Let's Party!!!! Maybe have a mini-room crawl to get prepped for Tiki Oasis 6????????!!!!!!!!!!!

WoooHoooo! The following people are in for The Tiki Central Takeover at The Smugglers Inn April 21st -23rd. If you are interested in booking a room (Standard Rooms $59 or Suites $79 with Breakfast and COCKTAIL Reception Daily) PM me ASAP!!:

Soccer Tiki
WooHoo Wahine
Lovevw181 + 1
Tiki-Tina & Bamboo Boyd
Betty Bleu & TikiBrini

The Deadline to Book a Room at this Special TC Rate is March 30th!!!!

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 9:21 AM

i'll be there later on the 22nd.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 1:10 PM

I'm visiting friends in Phoenix that weekend and will definitely be at the Kon Tiki on the 22nd!!

Is it Spring Break yet???? I'm ready for some Tucson fun!!!!! Sounds like a lot of TCers are going.... Everyone is invited to our room at the Smugglers Inn for "RH Lapu Lapu" Happy Hour on either Thursday or Friday!!!! I just need to know in advance who's showing so I'll have enough to get everyone trashed, er, I mean happy!

WoooHooooo! 42 More Days!!!

Hmmmm another Kon Tiki venture. Sounds like another swell time at the Hotel Congress for SON OF MOTHRA and gang. Count me in +2.

TMF

Going by tonight to see some new shirt designs.

DON'T FORGET: Deadline to Book a Room at The Smugglers Inn at the TC Special Rate is March 30th. PM if you haven't reserved your room yet :)

BREAKING NEWS!!!!******
This from the Kon Tiki in Tucson:

"aloha woohoo
my name is louie and i am from the kon tiki rest. & lounge. first of all let me start off by thanking you for rounding up all the TCers for the party. i know that with all of you coming out here, this is going to be a great event. i was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea if, that with every person that confirms a resv. at the smugglers inn we will give them a guarantee voucher on the limited edition mug. there is ONLY going to be 250 made and this will guarantee the people that are making the trip out here a mug."

**So PM Me with Your Reservation Request ASAP and we'll make sure you get a Voucher for a Mug!!!! WooooHoooooo! Remember March 30th is the Deadling to Book a Room at The Smugglers in at The TC Special Rate!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-17 09:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies