Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Kon Tiki for Spring Time Fun In The AZ Sun April 22nd; Along with Smugglers Inn Recapture 21-23rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

I hear there are a few rooms left at the Smuggler's Inn for any PROcrastinators! (I always thought "pro" was good!?!)

Now it looks like the high 80's to lo 90's for the Tucson area next week!!!! Great Spring Break weather!!!!!! WooHooooooooooooo!!!!!! I wonder if the pool at the Smuggler's Inn is heated?? Doesn't matter after a while in the sun and a few Lapu Lapu's!!!!!

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2006-04-17 10:07 ]

Did someone say that Crazy Al is going???

I just wanted to recommend Plaza Liquors here in Tucson for those of you who will need to make booze runs. It's not the closest liquor store to Smugglers or KT, but they have the best selection. If you do your planning in advance, you can call them now to make sure they have what you want in stock. If they don't have it, they are very good about placing special orders. They also offer a 5% discount when you buy 6 bottles of wine or liquor.

Plaza Liquors
2642 N Campbell Ave
Tucson, 85719 - (520) 327-0452

WoooHooooo!!!!!!!!! Flying to Tucson Tuesday Morning !!!!!!! I can't wait to soak up some rays at the pool (of the Smuggler's Inn) draining the Lapu Pitcher dry!!! There are a lot of things to see and places to go in the Tucson area!!! Every day will be a new adventure! From the Pima Air Museum to Tombstone to the Tiki Motel to Sabina Canyon to the Moai Miniature Golf and other parts unknown! (Of course starting at the Plaza Liquor Store!!!) Ending with the Grand Finale....party at the KonTiki!!! ONLY 7 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the list of guests at the Smuggler's Inn....WOW!!!! It's an event in its own right!!! Can you say "ROOM PARTY(IES) FRIDAY NIGHT!!!"???? Over 17 rooms booked from TCers from Californitiki to Texas!!!!!! Ooh! What's that? Do I smell bananas???? The list keeps growing!

TMF

I am in Oklahoma right now so I am glad to see that the energy that I have for this party is shared by so many. I will be flying back in on Tues..... Did someone say that Dr. Z is coming?

I will bring some Monkeyman Tshirts to sell if anyone is interested.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-04-16 18:04 ]

On 2006-04-16 18:03, Monkeyman wrote:

[ Edited by: UngaBunga 2006-04-16 18:04 ]

I'll be bringing a slew of the 70% Boo, 30% Cotton,
Bamboo Ben T-shirts to "toss" to the crowd. Super soft,
echo friendly and free! ( so you's can buy another Scoprion Bowl! Yee Ha! Drink up, it's gonna be hot!!)

DZ

Indeed, it appears as if the Good Doctor will be in attendance, showin' up for some Kon Tiki fun and reprezentin' for the So. Cal. Hoity Toities that are unable to make it. No room party (well, none planned, at least - y'all gonna hafta wait until the Thursday at Oasis for that one, SoccerTiki!), but I will be bringin' plenty of my "Not-Quite-Patented Hangover Remedy" ("Sworn by, not sworn at" as they say), so be sure to find me before y'all crash out on Sunday morning!
Okole Maluna!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

DZ

Oh, yeah - I'm also lookin' for a ride from the airport to the Smuggler's Saturday afternoon. Anybody willin' to pick me up, send me a PM!

On 2006-04-16 18:40, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2006-04-16 18:03, Monkeyman wrote:

[ Edited by: UngaBunga 2006-04-16 18:04 ]

I'll be bringing a slew of the 70% Boo, 30% Cotton,
Bamboo Ben T-shirts to "toss" to the crowd. Super soft,
echo friendly and free! ( so you's can buy another Scoprion Bowl! Yee Ha! Drink up, it's gonna be hot!!)

What a guy!!!!

Free stuff for the masses. Thats cool that you can afford to give away your shirts.

Cant wait to see the nice job you did overhauling the restaurant.

TMF

Dr. Z,

Give me a holla and I will swing by to get ya.... However, do I need more than a two seater? Well, I will keep the fingers crossed that the blazer will be done.... If not I will be there anyway...

P

BRING ME A PRESENT!!

WoooHoooo! The following people are in for The Tiki Central Takeover at The Smugglers Inn April 21st -23rd and will be receiving Vouchers from The Kon Tiki to buy their Tiki Farm Limited Edition Kon Tiki Mugs .

Soccer Tiki
WooHoo Wahine
Lovevw181 + 1
Tiki-Tina & Bamboo Boyd
Betty Bleu & TikiBrini
Al-ii
Smogbreather
The Smokin Menehunes
Bamboo Ben and The Bamboos
Monkeyman
Tiki-Kate
PDrake
BigBadTikiDaddy
Nicktiki & Mrs.
OCWild
Fijifingers
Dr. Z
Crazy Al??????????????

Low 90's Tuesday through Sunday in Tucson!!!! Gonna get a tan! (Before Oasis!!!) Anyone coming out to the Smuggler's Inn before the weekend look for WooHooWahine and I...Just listen for APE, King Kukulele, Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, The Blue Hawaiians music and more blasting from either our room or the pool!!!!

WooHoooo! The KonTiki looks great! Woohoowahine and I stopped by yesterday for a couple drinks and to check the place out. We ran into Bamboo Ben slaving away on the finishing touches. Talked to Louie and he is looking forward to welcoming all the TCers coming into town for the Re-Dedication Party this Saturday.

They've got over 31 drinks on their menu and Woohoo and I decided to try them all before we leave!!! We got throught about 5 Tuesday, so we are on pace! By the way, the drinks are great! The decor is fantastic and the ambiance is totally tiki!!!

Temperature in the mid to high 80's!!! The pool at the Smuggler's Inn is cozy but large enough to keep a bunch of savages cool!

It's off to Tombstone (OK Corral) then the Triton Missle Site, then back to the KonTiki for some more libations!!!

4 more days till the big party!!!! WoooHooooooooooo!

I have a special fuzzy leopard print thong for tanning in hot weather....

Its the "european" in me.

You know, leather sandals, brown socks, olympic swimmer bathing suits, a bottle of wine at the beach etc..

TM

Awesome Monkeyman! You will fit right in with the Smokin menehunes! That's pretty close to our new band uniforms!!!

(Bong wanted to wear them in honor of his pale blonde friend with the teeth like a shark)

Monkeyman, will you have a european carryall as well?
Translation to english, a purse.

K

Well....shit happens. We've had a death in the family (not unexpected) so I'm having to cancel my travel plans and won't make it to the Kon Tiki. I'm quite bummed, but I do wish everyone a great time and I wish I could be there.

Drink one for me!

:drink:

My husband and I are planning on attending.Can't wait!

We're sorry for your loss Kenike and send you our best wishes.

cheeky half and mr cheeky half

ay carumba!

itz 2 am and i be drinkin' coffe, gearing up fo' mo werk aka tiki tiki at da Kon Tiki!! When da catz are aways, da mice will play!!

party party tiki tiki !!!

saturday. Saturday! SATURDAY!!!

Good times!!!

CRAWL ALERT!!!**

Friday afternoon from 4:30 til ??? We will be hosting an "open house" with cocktails being made and served by Ali'i and SoccerTiki.....

Smuggler's Inn, Tucson Room 119 (in the corner by the pool!)

Bring your bathing suit and get prepped for the BIG KONTIKI PARTY tomorrow night!!!!!

WoooooHoooooooooooo!!!!!

SAD NEWS...... The Smugglers Inn will be Closing its doors on July 31, 2006. They are going to turn the property into an assisted living home. :( If you haven't had a chance to stay here make sure you come and visit before the end of July.

CA

what the???? a blurry eyed computer screen at 12AM... after an 18 hour shift.... eek gad' i bought a ticket to my ol' home the Sonoran Desert... see ya there

TIKI MAGAZINE any one??

Leavin right now & I'm on my way!
See you crazy kids in a couple hours!

Somebody post some pictures when they sober up. Thanks!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2006-04-23 03:30 ]

It was so great to meet Louie and all the TCers that were at the Kon Tiki last night. My better half and I had the best time!!!!! The place looks great and the food was wonderful!!!! Thank you so much WooHooWahine and SoccerTiki for setting things up at the Smugglers Inn! Wish we were going to Tiki Oasis this year, but I think we will try and make it next year. Hope everyone gets back home safe and sound. Mahalo!!

Ok....Back in L.A. and still recovering from 5 days of KonTiki fun! What an awesome party last night!!! Louie, Marco and Ben, all your hard work paid off BIG TIME!!! Louie-you are a great host!!! Marco-Great drinks!!!

Can you say "WoooHoooo!"??? We know Tucson can now!!!!!!

Here're a few pics.....

I'm sure there will a lot more to follow-There were a lot of camera flashes throughout the night!!!

Thanks Moki for "fixin' the pix" (see below)
[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-04-23 12:36 ]

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-04-25 09:27 ]

M
Moki posted on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 12:54 PM

All I can say is WOOOOHOOOO!!! Tuscon's TCers know how to PARTY!!
Mucho Mahalos to: Louie & Marco for making The Kon Tiki the BEST Tiki Bar in Arizona,
The Notorious Bamboo Ben for the Hours of work he put into recreating The Kon Tiki,
Cheeky Half & Mr.Cheeky Half for hosting a Tiki-rrific Party at their Tuscon Tiki
Oasis, The Smokin Menehunes for taking us on a Musical Journey to a Tropical Paradise, The Waitresses and Bouncers of The Kon Tiki for their incredible service, Holden and Doug Horne for creating some incredible memorabilia to take home, Crazy Al for teaching us some new moves on the dance floor, and to every TCer who attended this event. I can't wait to visit Tucson again :)

What Happens in Tucson Stays in Tucson :wink: WooooHoooooooo!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-04-23 16:08 ]

Saturday night at the Kon Tiki in Tucson was a lot of fun. We really enjoyed ourselves. We want to say thank you to everyone who organized it.

Had a great time at the Kon Tiki.
The decor really is fantastic, the real deal!
The Smokin Menehunes were great & played all night with a sexy hula dancer & Crazy Al doin their thang!
Especially enjoyed hanging out & chatting with Al-ii, Tiki Kate & Monkeyman.
(Thank you again Al, for the drinks & souvenir mug. You are a class act, buddy!)
Met alot of people for the first time, including Lucas Vigor & the infamous Tiki Bong who are both very cool cats.
The only low point was Sunday morning. Waking up & realizing that villians had stolen the side view mirrors from my Jeep sometime during the night @ the Smugglers Inn.

Big Heap Em Thanks to the Cheeky Half's.

Your pre party was "lovely" and your lapu lapus were spot on.

Wonderful collections and glass works.

Gimme somma dat artichoke dippppp

Mr cheeky half and I would like to extend many mahalos to all the lovely tc'ers that joined us here in Tucson to experience and honor the Kon Tiki. It was wonderful to see so many people appreciating the mana that Ben and Louie have helped to restore.

I have to admit, we were a bit nervous because we decided to open our house to any and all that wanted to stop by for a cocktail before heading over to the KT. What the Mr and I encountered were 30 or so of the friendliest, kindest people that came in as strangers but left as friends. It was a privilege to share our home with the tc ohana.

We will hopefully have pics to post on Thursday and we have updated our mosaic thread with a piece we made for the event here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18635&forum=7&start=last&10

Hopefully we will get see everyone again at the Trader Vic's opening in Scottsdale.

Cheers!

the cheeky half's

CA

WOW!! i'm so glad Luie got me off me ar's to see what Ben had been doing in the desert.

walked in to Kon Tiki... and couldn't see what the hell had been done... it was PERFECT!!! looked like the place was a hundred years old at least... so f'n cool. old, old school and in the heart of the desert.. could be the best example of "tiki" left in the world. Walk out of dry brown 115 degree heat into tropical paridice... perfect

the event was the tops too..... every one was in top form, i could have been at the Hukilau and not know the diference... home tours and classic bar... tiki familliars... the tops

Great food, great music and great people, Fun times!! Great to see all the TCer's at the KT. Thank you Louie and the Kon Tiki for being great hosts. Great job Ben on the restoration.

TM

Hi everyone!

Our band had a great time. It was fun to see the TC crowd and meet new friends!!

TMF

I have to put my 2 cents in too...... It was better than I thought it could be.... I had a blast..... Maybe I can get Louie to finish the Patio and try for a Patio party this Fall...... Will keep you posted..... Talk to Louie last night and he can not wait to do it all over again......

The Mo Fo

We've just hung our Doug Horne Kon Tiki Grand Re-dedication poster in what we call
"The Hallway of Horne." Doug, we'll need you to come back and officially christen it please. I highly recommend getting one of these bad boys from Doug if you can.

DZ

Yow!! - what can I say? The Kon Tiki is just incredible - I don't know what it looked like beforehand, but it's a literal tiki wonderland now! Boobam - nice, work, brah! Had a great time hangin' with the TC peeps, new and old (Bunny Bleu & TikiBrini - where'd we leave off? 44? 45??). The Smuggler's Inn is a fun place and I wish I'd come in a day or two earlier (or was able to stay longer), but just flying in for the 'event' was worth it. Cheeky Half (& Mr. Cheeky Half) - your place is amazing as well! Those mosaics are breathtaking! Also, thanks for lettin' me get behind the bar and crank out a few - I've been a bit rusty as of late and it felt good to be "shakin'" again! Mucho mahaloz to Louie and Marcos for signing my buddy's snapshot (taken in front of the Kon Tiki back in 1975) and refusing to let me pay for too many drinks (is that hospitality or what?), SoccerTiki & WooHoo for the pre-pre-party, my bud Tiki MoFo for the transpo and settin' this whole thing up, and of course to the lovely representatives of Cruzan Rum and Kona Longboard Lager... :wink:

Two questions:
1). Why does that tiki with the big tongue look soooo familiar? Wersmo - you got some 'splainin' to do!
2). Where did that other banner go? Hmmmm...

Ready for the next one!!

Aloha Everyone,

Bamboo Boyd and I just wanted to take a quick moment and say Mahalo Nui Loa to everyone for the wonderful weekend we had in Tucson with the tc ohana!

We had a delightful time and it was great to meet all of you! Special thanks to Soccer Tiki and WooHoo Wahine for all of their efforts in setting up the room block, booking the reservations and encouraging such great attendance; to Louie, Marco, the servers, bouncers and the entire KT staff for hosting such a swell bash; to Ben for all of his hard work in shining up this beautiful tiki gem and for the ultra soft Boo t-shirt (I shall wear it with pride) and to Mrs. Boo for coming all the way out to the desert to join the festivities…..it was great to meet you both; to Mr. and Mrs. Cheeky Half, for hosting an awesome open house and making us feel so welcome (Maggie, I still owe you a Dr Z cocktail); to Dr Z for mixing the most amazing cocktails…ultra yummy; to the Smokin’ Menehunes and Crazy Al for providing such fantastic entertainment; to Doug Horne for creating such a groovy commemorative print, mug and pendant and to the lovely Stacey for the yummy painkilla's; to Holden for all of his hard work and promotion; to Tiki Mo Fo for making me laugh (it was an honor to meet the mythical Kippy's legend); to Cousin Dave for allowing me to help him with his tiki (hope I didn’t tie it too tight); to Charlie and Lisa for putting up with and contributing to the insanity and drawing me out of my shell; and to everyone else who make the trek to the desert for the big bash…who knew we were part of such wonderful group of folks! Golly, there were so many folks there, we just wish we were able to meet everyone, but for those of you we did meet, it was a pleasure and we look forward to seeing you again soon! For those we didn’t have the pleasure to meet, I am sure our paths will cross once again…and if you ever find yourself in Phoenix, give us a shout…we’d love to get together for a bit of tiki revelry!

Much aloha to everyone!

tiki-tina & bamboo boyd

Remember WooHoo’s words of wisdom….What happens in Tucson stays in Tucson! :blush:

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-04-24 18:19 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-04-24 18:34 ]

GOOD TIMES !!!

GOOD TIMES !!!

GOOD TIMES !!!

( more later. sleep now!.)

Arrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2006-04-24 21:51 ]

On 2006-04-24 14:48, Tiki Mo Fo wrote:
I have to put my 2 cents in too...... It was better than I thought it could be.... I had a blast..... Maybe I can get Louie to finish the Patio and try for a Patio party this Fall...... Will keep you posted..... Talk to Louie last night and he can not wait to do it all over again......

The Mo Fo

A big ditto on Mo Fo's thoughts from tiki-tina and bamboo boyd...and with Boyd's landscape design connections, we'd love to help get that patio ready for the Fall! PM us if we can help...Mahaloz to everyone again for a wonderful time!

On 2006-04-24 18:15, tiki-tina wrote:
Maggie, I still owe you a Dr Z

I'll take you up on that Tina. Should I expect him to arrive via UPS or FedEx?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies